Options

Billy Corgan Mentions Eddie in Stern Interview

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,184
    I mean, to be fair, he had a different look at Ed back then, one that none of you here could have unless you were involved in the whole scene directly. Maybe he knows something we don't and isn't going to specifically disparage him on a national show. Again, he's entitled to believe what he wants based on his experiences with Ed. Just as you are entitled to make a bunch of armchair psychological diagnoses with little more than what someone has said in the press or on Instagram.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    I always like it when people rush to defend public figures who say stuff.  I think the body of work with this guy having a problem with everyone he comes across pretty much tells any reasonable person what they need to know.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I always like it when people rush to defend public figures who say stuff.  I think the body of work with this guy having a problem with everyone he comes across pretty much tells any reasonable person what they need to know.
    "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an assholeIf you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,685
    "If you run into an asshole in the morning, you ran into an asshole. If you run into assholes all day, you're the asshole."
    Haha.  Yeah, that works.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,277
    edited December 2020
    I posted this pic at the time but seems a good spot for it here.
    Won a radio contest during the Oceania tour for "Breakfast with Billy" at the Boston Hard Rock Cafe the morning of the show then tix to see the show that night. Knowing Billy's previous comments regarding PJ, and the fact that it was Oct 27, decided to do a subtle troll job on Billy...

Don't think he picked up on it.

But I will say he was extremely gracious at that event, answering every question in great detail, posing for pics and signing stuff for everyone.(He actually had to suggest that to the radio station folks)
    Think he has issues with some folks like anybody, whether or not he has valid reasons, but in his position he should just keep certain things to himself.
    Thought their shows in 2018 were phenomenal.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,898
    edited December 2020
    eboweddie said:
    I wonder does billy have a dig at other artists because they are revered.  Its impossible to like corgan.  As we say in Ireland.  Hes a gobshite. A hugely talented one.  Incredible guitar player and song writer.  But jesus Billy cheer up. It's not so bad. 
    i think he's jealous of other artists that don't care about their legacy, or how they are thought of by other artists. this obviously consumes corgan. anyone who quits the music business because they can't compete with the spice girls aren't doing it for the right reasons. he is an amazing songwriter, but the guy seems to just want to be, not better than his previous self, but better than everyone else, and when he doesn't get the recognition he gives himself in the mirror, he lashes out. 

he simply cannot understand why ed didn't want fame. that is clearly corgan's complete motivation, and the thought of being an entertainer without wanting the adulation confuses him. 

i think it's why he identifies with trump. 

he tries like hell to remain relevant and it's a struggle for him, whereas ed and others don't try, and they just get it anyway. this drives him nuts. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    edited December 2020
    Long Red said:
    Corgan is perplexing. He's arguably one of the greatest songwriters of his generation, and simultaneously someone who seems to get along with absolutely no one outside of his Pumpkins bubble. It's a shame. Why can't we be friends?
    He doesn't even get along with whoever's in the bubble except maybe Chamberlain.  The rest stick around because it is a decent gig and because he is actually talented.  

Even AXL who is significantly more abrasive than him has found ways to make friends outside his bubble.  Not sure what Billy's problem is.  
    Post edited by bone on
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    bone said:
    Long Red said:
    Corgan is perplexing. He's arguably one of the greatest songwriters of his generation, and simultaneously someone who seems to get along with absolutely no one outside of his Pumpkins bubble. It's a shame. Why can't we be friends?
    He doesn't even get along with whoever's in the bubble except may Chamberlain.  The rest stick around for the gig and because he is actually talented.  
    and he even fired chamberlain twice. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bonebone Posts: 498
    bone said:
    Long Red said:
    He doesn't even get along with whoever's in the bubble except may Chamberlain.  The rest stick around for the gig and because he is actually talented.  
    and he even fired chamberlain twice. lol
    Exactly.  
    1993-08-12 - Edmonton, AB, Convention Centre
    2003-05-30 - Vancouver, BC, General Motors Place
    2005-09-04 - Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome
    2005-09-05 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2009-08-08 - Calgary, AB, Canada Olympic Park
    2009-09-21 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2009-09-22 - Seattle, WA, Key Arena
    2011-09-23 - Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place
    2013-11-30 - Spokane, WA, Spokane Arena
  • Options
    ry75guyry75guy Posts: 213
    Really cool article on the Chicago music scene of the '90s. I just happened to read it last week. Goes into a bit on Billy and his unapologetic drive to be famous https://music.avclub.com/a-great-time-to-be-alive-and-own-a-guitar-chicago-s-1798261063. Definitely a very different motivation from a lot of what was happening in Seattle and the rest of Chicago. 
    Tinley Park, IL 08-02-1992
    Chicago, IL 07-19-2013
    Moline, IL 10-17-2014
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-22-2016
    Chicago, IL 08-18-2018
    Chicago, IL 08-20-2018
    St. Louis, MO 09-18-2022
  • Options
    huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 853
    edited December 2020
    I was in NYC for work and decided to fill one of the nights by attending a (ahem) Fountains of Wayne show at the Webster Hall in 2013.  While there I ran into the FoW manager and got into a conversation-probably because we were about the same age and both dressed a bit differently than the rest of the crowd.  Long story short, he told me about an after show party at a place that used to be an old hair salon and was now a bar near the venue...I showed up with a friend and, lo and behold, my name was on the list.  We were sitting there at the bar after thanking the band's manager...and who should walk in but James Iha.  I am pretty certain not very many people at the bar knew who he was, but I did and started talking to him.  The guy was awesome...long discussion about music, touring, etc...got to the point where I asked if he would ever play music with Corgan again and he answered a definitive "no".  Five years later he was on stage when I saw SP playing in Sacramento.  Apparently he was allowed into the bubble again.  Don't know the moral of this story....just know it is a story.  

As an aside the Shiny and Oh So Bright tour was a total spectacle...and worth the money I paid to see it.  I had only seen SP once...when I was in Chicago right around the time of Siamese Dream...they played at a place called the Metro and I thought they were awesome.  To see them almost 30 years later was a trip....all the things people say about Corgan may be right...his irritating qualities don't discount his ability to put together a hell of a song and a couple of fantastic albums.  And the fact he has the skill set to write good to (at times) great music doesn't exclude him from being an ass.
    Post edited by huntersthompson on
  • Options
    mvwmvw Posts: 1,661

Billy Corgan is a pussy and he knows it.
  • Options
    I mean, to be fair, he had a different look at Ed back then, one that none of you here could have unless you were involved in the whole scene directly. Maybe he knows something we don't and isn't going to specifically disparage him on a national show. Again, he's entitled to believe what he wants based on his experiences with Ed. Just as you are entitled to make a bunch of armchair psychological diagnoses with little more than what someone has said in the press or on Instagram.
    In fairness, hinting that you know something shitty about a person, but not saying what you know is worse than coming out and saying what you know.

If Billy's all about 'not pulling any punches' as he bragged on Stern this week, then why didn't he just come out and say what he knows?
    Either say what you have to say, or don't say anything at all. Personally I think he's full of shit.
  • Options
    I've read and seen enough interviews with the guy to make an honest assessment. he's said enough things about people and the business and the world around him, more than most actually, cause he loves talking and showcasing his opinions and intelligence, that it's not really an armchair psycho-analysis at that point. it's more just observation. 

i can't say the same about most rock stars, because most of them don't blather on and on about their own genius and shit on other people as much as he does. 

and if there is literally only one person that says something like that about someone, and for the record I don't personally care if it's about ed or an artist I don't like, it's likely it's not based in reality. 

if i had heard even one other account of ed being what billy says, it might lend some credence. 

there's a canadian artist that i'm a big fan of, his name is Matt Good. in the 90's I called him the Canadian Billy Corgan. he would spend an inordinate amount of time in interviews doing nothing but shitting on other canadian bands and musicians. he had a well-deserved reputation for being an egotistical dick. he actually embraced it and put out shirts that said "Matt Good Is Still An Asshole". that wasn't any armchair psychoanalysis, it was reality. 

he later learned that he made a big mistake doing that. he blamed it partially on the media for asking leading questions about artists he didn't respect, trying to drum up a story and drama, but he also knew it was up to him to take the high road. 

billy's an amazingly talented artist and musician. 

but he's also a deeply flawed man baby. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,042
    I was in NYC for work and decided to fill one of the nights by attending a (ahem) Fountains of Wayne show at the Webster Hall in 2013.  While there I ran into the FoW manager and got into a conversation-probably because we were about the same age and both dressed a bit differently than the rest of the crowd.  Long story short, he told me about an after show party at a place that used to be an old hair salon and was now a bar near the venue...I showed up with a friend and, lo and behold, my name was on the list.  We were sitting there at the bar after thanking the band's manager...and who should walk in but James Iha.  I am pretty certain not very many people at the bar knew who he was, but I did and started talking to him.  The guy was awesome...long discussion about music, touring, etc...got to the point where I asked if he would ever play music with Corgan again and he answered a definitive "no".  Five years later he was on stage when I saw SP playing in Sacramento.  Apparently he was allowed into the bubble again.  Don't know the moral of this story....just know it is a story.  

As an aside the Shiny and Oh So Bright tour was a total spectacle...and worth the money I paid to see it.  I had only seen SP once...when I was in Chicago right around the time of Siamese Dream...they played at a place called the Metro and I thought they were awesome.  To see them almost 30 years later was a trip....all the things people say about Corgan may be right...his irritating qualities don't discount his ability to put together a hell of a song and a couple of fantastic albums.  And the fact he has the skill set to write good to (at times) great music doesn't exclude him from being an ass.
    Was the bar you went to Beauty Bar on 14th Street?

• Options
    huntersthompsonhuntersthompson Posts: 853
    edited December 2020
    GlowGirl said:

That is exactly the bar...I forgot the name until you mentioned it.  Trippy place with all the old style over the head hair dryers....I just looked at the website...flashbacks
    Post edited by huntersthompson on
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,042
    GlowGirl said:

That is exactly the bar...I forgot the name until you mentioned it.  Trippy place with all the old style over the head hair dryers....I just looked at the website...flashbacks
    It is a trippy place. I think the same owners used to have a bar called Barmacy - which was an old pharmacy and was decorated as such. That closed down a while ago, and is now a tikki bar called Otto's Shrunken Head - which usually has some great live music.

• Options
    dr122931dr122931 Posts: 456
    dr122931 said:
    I really like some of the early stuff, and he’s made a few good songs since.  But, he’s one of the least likable douchbags on the planet.   It’s turned me off from his music.   And, it seems like everyone (including bandmates) hate him.   I go to most shows of bands I like, but I was not interested in seeing him on his last tour.  Alex Jones, shape shifters, wrestling, his oddball rants/claims, random feuds with other musicians, etc just make him too strange.   
    The Vedder comments were strange, but clearly fueled by jealousy.  He made several other comments throughout the interview somewhat referencing Eddie and Trent Reznor. 
    It’s also worth mentioning Corgan said he and Cornell were not on good terms at the time of his death (though he claimed he didn’t know why).  

I just got in my car and heard more of it.  Billy is an even bigger douche than my initial comments.   He’s angry he’s not super relevant.  He was commenting about Cornell perhaps being upset because he was playing theaters. Truth is, before the “reunion” which didn’t sell well, he was playing theaters too.  I saw pumpkins  at a 3000 seat venue a few years ago I. Housotn ans it wasn’t  full.  To get interest in their reunion tour, they specifically advertised they were only playing the first 4 albums.   Seems hypocritical considering this  gripe he had with SG.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfweekly.com/music/5-of-billy-corgans-most-entertaining-feuds/amp/

Stern also asked billy if he hung out with friends of his kids.   He shit it down immediately and said the only thing the dads would probably talk about are sports and weather  (I’m sure he lives in a very wealthy part of Chicago with educated and interesting parents).  Stern asked Eddie the same question and got the exact opposite answer.  Eddie talked about how he’s met lots of good friends for life through his daughters
  • Options
    CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,256
    well said!
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited December 2020
    I’m a casual Pumpkins fan, honestly his voice gets to me after a while.  Siamese Dream and Infinite Sadness are really good albums and I own them.
    It’s a free country and he can say what he wants about EV and frankly any subject and I’ll react with nothing more than a yawn. His ego is pretty amusing to me. Even in the 90s I just couldn’t relate to him. 
    Since he can have an opinion on any subject (and be mostly a blowhard when doing so) then so can I:

His performance of Check My Brain on the AIC MoPop Foundation Award show was easily one of the worst of the evening.  He comes across as a lonely middle-aged former superstar who is bordering on becoming irrelevant and hopes to rekindle his fame with frequent appearances on radio shows and podcasts. 

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,960
    eboweddie said:
    I wonder does billy have a dig at other artists because they are revered.  Its impossible to like corgan.  As we say in Ireland.  Hes a gobshite. A hugely talented one.  Incredible guitar player and song writer.  But jesus Billy cheer up. It's not so bad. 

• Options
    Corgan seems damn unhappy and looks quite fat. It likely irks the hell out of him that a vast majority of Americans younger than 35 don't know who he is. He's probably been eating too much of his grandmother's food lately, since she's one of the few remaining people who care about him. I'm not saying ... I'm just saying. 
  • Options
    Long live Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,651
    He had a run from 93-03 that was really, really good, and the new LP sounds interesting.  I like that he always takes chances.  

Him having issues with other rockstars shouldn’t surprise you one bit.  Lighten up my friends. 
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,780
    Looked up and listened to some SP music, maybe I have watched too many episodes of The First 48, but someone might want to be looking for a missing woman name Justine . . .
  • Options
    Gravey1975Gravey1975 Posts: 279
    edited December 2020
    Billy's comments to Stern about Cornell's suicide demonstrate what a small minded ass he is. He straight up said that CC killed himself because Soundgarden's popularity had peaked and he was now playing to smaller crowds. I have to say that I have never for one moment considered that would be a factor in his suicide. To make that assumption shows you how fixated Corgan is with how 'big' the pumpkins are compared to the 'competition'. He must be one miserable prick. 
    Post edited by Gravey1975 on
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    still not a fan.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,489
    Two things... I don’t spend much time keeping up with Billy Corgan but from what’s described here he doesn’t sounds too pleasant.  And... I saw smashing pumpkins during their 2018 tour and they were really good.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    Corgan seems damn unhappy and looks quite fat. It likely irks the hell out of him that a vast majority of Americans younger than 35 don't know who he is. He's probably been eating too much of his grandmother's food lately, since she's one of the few remaining people who care about him. I'm not saying ... I'm just saying. 
    None of us look like we did when we were in our 20s. Don't make this about physical appearance. It's childish and stupid. 
  • Options
    Billy's comments to Stern about Cornell's suicide demonstrate what a small minded ass he is. He straight up said that CC killed himself because Soundgarden's popularity had peaked and he was now playing to smaller crowds. I have to say that I have never for one moment considered that would be a factor in his suicide. To make that assumption shows you how fixated Corgan is with how 'big' the pumpkins are compared to the 'competition'. He must be one miserable prick. 
    I did not know  this. So now im the opposite of a fan 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
This discussion has been closed.