Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,395
    edited September 2020
    These are the keystone kokanee salmon who are making their way up the creeks' ladder from Wood and Okanagan lake to spawn. 2 adult bears and 2 cubs in this park are feasting on them, along with the apples in the orchards up the hill.

Some school classes grow and release these fish, although few survive. Most have field trips to the eco-centre here, which are on-line this year.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Not sure if this counts as “wildlife” but it is to me. I found this fat caterpillar alive as I was shucking corn for dinner. I re-homed him to a tree. I wonder where he hitched a ride from and if he'll survive long.

• rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    saved this little guy from a spider web. I love dragon flys
    ^ My puppy injured one at the beach.  I had to mercy kill it.  :bawling:
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    tish said:
    ^ My puppy injured one at the beach.  I had to mercy kill it.  :bawling:
    Noooooooo r.i.p ☮️
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    This guy was outside my apartment complex this morning 

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Simply by keeping a bucket of water full outside, we've managed to attract a number of these cute guys.  There were three on the rim of the bucket, but by the time my wife grabbed her smart phone, one had hopped away and one jumped onto the wall.  Love these little guys!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    They’re adorable Brian.  How’re you doing with the smoke and fires right now?  We’re still getting some of the smoke way up here.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    They’re adorable Brian.  How’re you doing with the smoke and fires right now?  We’re still getting some of the smoke way up here.

I love 'em!  One of them likes to hang out around the front door steps sometimes at night.  I'm thrilled to see this many this year!

Sorry to hear it's been smoky up your way.  Any rain coming that way?

We had the least smokey morning in several weeks today.  The haze built up over the day but definitely better than most days lately.  And we have a bit of a shot at some rain Saturday or Sunday.  Crossing my finger!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Oops, I guess smoky wasn’t the correct word.  Hazy would be more accurate.  Looks like we’ll be getting some rain for the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend..  yum!  Turkey 🦃 🦃🦃 
    Oops, I guess smoky wasn’t the correct word.  Hazy would be more accurate.  Looks like we’ll be getting some rain for the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend..  yum!  Turkey 🦃 🦃🦃 

Hey, that's OK.  Tonight I'd say I'm smoky and the air is a bit hazy.  Could be the other way around when I wake up in the AM.  :lol: 

I hope you get that rain. 
    And turkey... mmmmmm, turkey and stuffing and gravy and yams and cranberry and salad and pie, pie, pie!

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,422
    at our indy terminal last week...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited October 2020
    might be hoping against hope but I think this might be norman.....

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Norm
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,696
    mickeyrat said:
    might be hoping sngainst hope but I think this might be norman.....

Norman!!! I hope so. Keep us posted.

Yay!  Fingers-crossed that it’s Norman.🤞😀
    does his face seem fat? seems like his snout has discolored fur, like from a scar?

am I reaching here?

for comparison...

saw some behavior that leads me to believe it is norman. theres a certain, I dont care you're a dog who wants to eat me attitude norm has. this squirrel today had a similar demeanor. real nonchalant with dogs in the yard and him on the ground.... 

^^^ woo good! Go Norman!
    My cat  🐈 loves me after all! She brought me her trophy!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    tish said:
    My cat  🐈 loves me after all! She brought me her trophy!
    Good kitty. Birds are tough prey. 

She loves you a lot. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Recent sightings I wish I had been quick to catch a photo of:
    -The largest coyote I've ever seen-  about the size of a large German Shepherd, but definitely a coyote. (Last week)
    -A foraging flock of turkeys  numbering close to 40 (also last week)
    -A duck and a Canada Goose  floating side by side in Lake Natoma (which we saw today)
    -A dead deer that was about 50% decomposed.  At first I thought it looked like an abstract sculpture. (Also seen today)

I don't have a smart phone but if there was ever a reason to have one, it might be to capture moments like these.  (But they are safely tucked away in my brain.  :smile:  )

• I just googled lake natoma.
    Nice place bri
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    edited December 2020
    I just googled lake natoma.
    Nice place bri

It is, for sure, Rob. I was surprised to find such a nice place to walk and enjoy the outdoors that is only about 40 minutes away.  It is ironic that I live in a county with so much (so far) undeveloped land yet with few parks and walking trails.  Most of the open land in the county here is either owned and fenced off by ranchers, or is U.S. forest land that is either unhealthy forest plagues by bark beetle infestation, over-logged, or burned.  We will definitely be going down  Lake Natoma again and explore some other walking trails in Folsom again.

edited October 2023
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    tish said:
    Thanks Brian, for adding to the thread even without photos. I only got a smart phone when I had a baby so I coukd get lots of photos.

It's recommended here to get out every day for a 10 minute walk. I either ski or walk the dog.

Is Folsom by Folsom prison? I once had a blue t-shirt with a prison number on it from that penitentiary after it closed down. A cop gave it to me to cover up my sports bra top after he released me from the drunk tank. I had approached a cop in the bar I was drinking at down on Skidrow and punched him. They K.O.ed me when the threw me in cell, knocking my head on the toilet.

Its too bad there so many people who steal t-shirts around or that would be my prized possession!

Yes, Tish, it's on the north end of the City of Folsom.  It's quite a scenic area unless- I'm guessing!- you are on the inside!

Folsom State Prison - WikipediaFolsom Prison Canyon Photograph by Vince Migliore

Hmm. Nice view for lock up!
    tish said:
    Hmm. Nice view for lock up!

My first thought- Dinosaur Jr Song, "I Don't Wanna Go There".  :lol:

I saw a dead deer (road kill) on way to the skihill this morning.