Official Neil Young Thread

Comments

• The reissuse boxes are more expensive on the second-hand market then just buying the individual albums, are they not?

Where they much cheaper on release than buying the albums one by one?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • cheaper buying them one by one, but I think the box sets are 180g. 
  • So my Side B of this is Nowhere is kinda scuffed. I'm open to buying the new press. Has anyone picked it up individually recently? Is it a tip on sleeve?

• goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,264
    So my Side B of this is Nowhere is kinda scuffed. I'm open to buying the new press. Has anyone picked it up individually recently? Is it a tip on sleeve?

Yes it is.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • what is a tip on sleeve?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,903
    Those heavy cardboard sleeves. Where it looks like paper wrapped around heavy cardboard and glued (Where you see the seams glues around the edges. Its the old way of making sleeves. 

vs.

a printed sleeve where its thin cardboard and you can tell the sleeve is printed directed to the cardboard. This is most sleeves manufactured today. 
    Easy Street sleeve (tip on) vs. the Unplugged sleeve (standard). 

Or the original Vs. , erm, well vs, the 20th anniversary reissue sleeve 

PJ has done a lot of tip ons over the past 10 years. 

goldrush said:
    So my Side B of this is Nowhere is kinda scuffed. I'm open to buying the new press. Has anyone picked it up individually recently? Is it a tip on sleeve?

Yes it is.
    Sweet. Thanks!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    So when are flipback sleeves going to make a comeback?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    edited October 2020
    dankind said:

You mean like one of these with the wrap around cover?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I assumed it was like the Beatles mono covers.

brianlux said:
    dankind said:

You mean like one of these with the wrap around cover?

My man. Oh yeah.

My flipbacks from the '60s are all still in pretty good shape, even the kid records, the laminated ones in any case. I can't say the same for the tip-ons from the '70s, which will start to chip and peel over the years if previous owners fail to use an outer sleeve and space them properly. Tip-ons definitely capture the cover art best and will continue to do so if well preserved.

But those flimsy flipback fuckers have some kind of longevity to them.

:glasses:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Ran into Neil Young - Weld on vinyl in a used record store. They wanted 120 dollars for it. Never seen it before, so sent a picture to my brother to show him and how expensive it was.

He sent a picture back of Neil Young Weld that he owned. And that he payed 8 dollars for.

I hate my brother.
    Did you buy it for $150?

• Did you buy it for $150?

No. Should I have (it was 120)?
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    Did you buy it for $150?

No. Should I have (it was 120)?
    If it was in nice condition, I would have bought it for $120.
    Same
  • Waiting for the re-issue.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,918
    edited October 2020
    Or I'll borrow my brother's. And his Dreamin' Man. And I bet he will surprise me having Broken Arrow and Are you Passionate too.
    edited October 2020

Taken from the NYA 'Surf Shack' page:

OFFICIAL BOOTLEG SERIES

— Progress Report

The Volume Dealers have been working on the first 6 ‘Official Bootleg’ releases and we are in the process of mastering. We envision launching the series all at once. on a tentative schedule of April 2021. Suddenly the whole series will be available to all! Very exciting.

Of the six releases, four are our own multi track masters, so they will sound amazing - much better than the original bootlegs you may have heard. One of the other two is the original tape it was recorded on. Here is what we have for you:

Carnegie Hall Dec 4, 1970 - first show.
    Only the midnight show has been released on Bootleg but this early show is the best one.
    We have our own mixes made from the multi-track recording we did that night.

Royce Hall. January 30, 1971
    This is a beautiful show that had a very limited bootleg release. With our own mixes made from the multi-track recording we did that night, this show will sound like you are there.

Dorothy Chandler Pavillion. Feb 1, 1971
    “I’m happy that Y’all came down”. This was auite popular bootleg when it first appeared.
    Again, we have our own mixes made from the multi-track recording we did that night and they sound unreal.

Under The Rainbow. Nov 3, 1973
    The Tonight’s the Night Tour at the Rainbow Theater in London, ‘The Santa Monica Flyers’ are at the top of their game. 

The Bottom Line.
    ‘Citizen Kane Jr. Blues’ May 16, 1974

This New York club solo show is a collection of very early performances of new songs from the time. We have the original cassette the show was recorded on, and have mastered it. The Volume Dealers have made this show sound like you are right there. A rare glimpse at many “first ever” performances, its a unique collection.

The Ducks - ‘Trick of Disaster’ August 1977
    Recorded in our analog truck- ‘His Master’s Wheels,’ by Tim Mulligan, producer.
    The legendary Ducks :

• Jeff Blackburn, ‘Blackburn and Snow’
    • Bob Mosley, ‘Moby Grape’
    • Johnny C (Craviatto) ‘legendary drum maker’
    • and myself….

We are fortunate to have recorded several of the Ducks’ shows in multiple Santa Cruz clubs during the Duck’s run in 1976. Mr. Mulligan has mixed and assembled a multi-platter set from this legendary band. It’s unbelievable that we now have this collection for you. Songs sung and written by the Ducks will all be heard in full fidelity.
    Hear the famous ‘Nuclear Quack’ - an unsuccessful effort to raise the ‘Pussinger Curse’ hanging over the City of Santa Cruz!

Post edited by goldrush on

(Tim Rogers)

And some notes about The Bottom Line:

In 1974, on May 16th about 2:30 am in a famous NYC music club located in Greenwich Village called ‘The Bottom Line,’ I climbed onto the stage with my D’Angelico New Yorker and played eleven songs, including many new unreleased ones plus three that had never been played anywhere - ‘Citizen Cane Jr Blues,’ ‘Long May You Run’ and ‘Pardon My Heart’.

That late night set went like this:

• Citizen Cane Jr. Blues
    • Long May You Run
    • Greensleeves
    • Ambulance Blues*
    • Helpless
    • Revolution Blues*
    • On the Beach*
    • Roll Another Number
    • Motion Pictures*
    • Pardon My Heart
    • Dance, Dance, Dance

In my mind it’s a hazy memory, but this moment really captures the essence of where I was in 1974.
    Two months later, the album ‘On The Beach*’ was released, including songs I played that night - ‘Ambulance Blues,’ ‘Revolution Blues,’ ‘On the Beach’ and ‘Motion Pictures.’
    Folks at ‘The Bottom Line’ heard seven new songs for the first time. I just remember I was 28 years old, bare and letting it all out.

‘The Bottom Line - “Citizen Cane Jr. Blues”’ is part of the official Bootleg Series now in production and is scheduled for release by Shakey Pictures Records in first quarter 2021. This first edition of the NYA ‘Official Bootleg Series’ will contain at least six complete Bootleg series offerings, the majority of which are from our own original master recordings.
    Produced by ‘The Volume Dealers,’ these six albums will provide the highest quality listening available.

(Tim Rogers)
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,918
    edited October 2020
    So eh... are all re-releases of his studio albums part of that numbered series?
    If I buy an album from a retailer, it will one of those numbered re-releases?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    I think the only reissues that have not been part of the numbered 'Official Release Series' are Decade and Harvest Moon.
    All of the other ORS reissues are numbered: 

1. Neil Young
    2. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
    3. After The Goldrush
    4. Harvest

5. Time Fades Away
    6. On The Beach 
    7. Tonight's The Night
    8. Zuma

8.5. Long May You Run
    9. American Stars n' Bars
    10. Comes A Time
    11. Rust Never Sleeps
    12. Live Rust

13. Hawks & Doves
    14. Re-Ac-Tor
    20. This Note's For You
    30. Dead Man 

The rest of the albums haven't been reissued yet

(Tim Rogers)
  • goldrush said:
    I think the only reissues that have not been part of the numbered 'Official Release Series' are Decade and Harvest Moon.

1. Neil Young
    3. After The Goldrush
    4. Harvest

5. Time Fades Away
    6. On The Beach 
    7. Tonight's The Night
    8. Zuma

8.5. Long May You Run
    10. Comes A Time
    11. Rust Never Sleeps
    12. Live Rust

13. Hawks & Doves
    14. Re-Ac-Tor
    20. This Note's For You
    30. Dead Man 

Thank you. 

Man, maybe I should have bought the boxsets with 4 albums per set when they were released... even though Im not a fan of those shoebox boxset things. Looks cheap.. But still...

Maybe just get the 70s and 90s albums and keep my 80s "originals". Kind of tough to cough up 25 dollars for Old Ways or Everybody's rockin
    goldrush said:

1. Neil Young
    3. After The Goldrush
    4. Harvest

5. Time Fades Away
    6. On The Beach 
    7. Tonight's The Night
    8. Zuma

8.5. Long May You Run
    10. Comes A Time
    11. Rust Never Sleeps
    12. Live Rust

13. Hawks & Doves
    14. Re-Ac-Tor
    20. This Note's For You
    30. Dead Man 

Thank you. 

Man, maybe I should have bought the boxsets with 4 albums per set when they were released... even though Im not a fan of those shoebox boxset things. Looks cheap.. But still...

Maybe just get the 70s and 90s albums and keep my 80s "originals". Kind of tough to cough up 25 dollars for Old Ways or Everybody's rockin
    So far, they've only released three 180g box sets, though, correct?

Box 1: Discs 1-4
    Box 2: Discs 5-8
    Box 3: Discs 8.5-12
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    correct
    I am mad at myself for not buying vol 1. I knew mine weren't in the best of shape. I wasn't big on double dipping on reissues back then. 

• My friend I think had Box 1 at his record store... but I think he wanted like 3-400 dollars for it...

I will pick them up desperately... but at the same time... only my Everybody's know this is nowhere vinyl is "mediocre" sounding with noise etc.. most of my Neil vinyls sound okey.
    The only album from box 1 that I no longer have on vinyl is S/T, and that one's usually pretty easy to find used. It won't be 180g, of course, but dems the breaks.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    The only album from box 1 that I no longer have on vinyl is S/T, and that one's usually pretty easy to find used. It won't be 180g, of course, but dems the breaks.
    So, only in the boxsets are the vinyl 180 gram? 

In other words - Neil didn't just throw in dusty old vinyl from the shelf like PJ did with their box set?

Also, seems there was a Zuma re-release in 2007.. so that predates the numbered series then..?