Nate Silver 538

Comments

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303

One thing Silver has said that is different from '16 is the number of polling being done there as well as the number of high quality polling being done there as well. Wi is good right now .
    This is true across all the battle states, from what I have read.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited September 2020
    Hi! said:
    static111 said:
    Hi! said:

Hmmm Bryant street bridge? I really don’t remember all the street names in town as I was out in the sticks.  Northern Michigan in summer is hard to beat
    Not sure, just main drawbridge in downtown area. I thought the clouds were pretty, lol. Yeah, I’ve been all over the state this year and just floored by the beauty. I almost don’t want to tell anyone, keep it a secret, lol. The UP is amazing. I must of visited and hiked 15 of the most beautiful falls you have ever seen. 
    Northern Michigan is a bit of a secret, isn’t it? My dad had a cottage on Douglas Lake, just west of Cheboygan. It’s beautiful up there. If he was still alive I’d probably be there right around this time of year. I’ve got the memories of the sights, sounds, and smell of the air kept in my head, though. 
    Dude I grew up on Douglas lake road.....that’s crazy.  My dad still takes care of a lot of cottages on the lake in the off season 
    Post edited by static111 on
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    dignin said:

One thing Silver has said that is different from '16 is the number of polling being done there as well as the number of high quality polling being done there as well. Wi is good right now .
    Having been in western WI recently, I was surprised to see as many Biden signs as I did. I know that 4 years ago when we were house hunting all over that area, there were no Hillary signs. Not that yard signs mean much in terms of polling, but there is clearly a difference in people's support this time around.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Another WI poll out this morning has Joe up 9
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,814
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

Having been in western WI recently, I was surprised to see as many Biden signs as I did. I know that 4 years ago when we were house hunting all over that area, there were no Hillary signs. Not that yard signs mean much in terms of polling, but there is clearly a difference in people's support this time around.
    For all the talk about people being embarrassed about liking Trump, maybe there were people that felt the same about Hillary.  "I'll vote for her, but I ain't advertising it."  Now, between how awful Trump is and the fact that Biden's not "the hated one" Hillary/Biden voters are going with signs.  Who knows.

I'm in St. Paul but when I've driven rural, I've only seen Trump.  I even saw a ratty wooden "Q WWG1WGA" sign nailed to a tree on the side of I-94.  Funny/scary. 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

For all the talk about people being embarrassed about liking Trump, maybe there were people that felt the same about Hillary.  "I'll vote for her, but I ain't advertising it."  Now, between how awful Trump is and the fact that Biden's not "the hated one" Hillary/Biden voters are going with signs.  Who knows.

I'm in St. Paul but when I've driven rural, I've only seen Trump.  I even saw a ratty wooden "Q WWG1WGA" sign nailed to a tree on the side of I-94.  Funny/scary. 
    What does that mean?
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    edited September 2020

This "swing state analysis" I did on WI was originally a reply on the forum since some members shot down trump invaders ;) a week ago laughing about polls.

I do not think the trump supporters are completely wrong. On a state level, the polls are within the margin of error. Dems talking about "great polls" could be enough to piss off undecideds to vote trump.

Let's face it, after 5 years of trump crap, undecideds are still considering voting for Trump. That alone should scare dems and independent trump haters. 

Let's give Biden WI. Morning Joe panel today seemed to agree its safe as of now. Obviously I'm hopeful but not convinced. 

But they put up a pretty big alert on PA which is surprising as he was raised there. 

He's up 4 in PA in the agregate, similar to Hillary 4 years ago in Sept,  and that's well within the "margin of undecideds" and m/o error.  PA eventually closed to 2

If biden loses PA, he must win FL or NC if  my math is correct.  Both of these states are within one point. This assumes Biden wins the other 3 swing states (AZ WI MI) plus every close lean blue (NH NV MN). That's a razor thin election. No other way to slice it.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

This "swing state analysis" I did on WI was originally a reply on the forum since some members shot down trump invaders ;) a week ago laughing about polls.

I do not think the trump supporters are completely wrong. On a state level, the polls are within the margin of error. Dems talking about "great polls" could be enough to piss off undecideds to vote trump.

Let's face it, after 5 years of trump crap, undecideds are still considering voting for Trump. That alone should scare dems and independent trump haters. 

Let's give Biden WI. Morning Joe panel today seemed to agree its safe as of now. Obviously I'm hopeful but not convinced. 

But they put up a pretty big alert on PA which is surprising as he was raised there

He's up 4 in PA in the agregate, similar to Hillary 4 years ago in Sept,  and that's well within the "margin of undecideds" and m/o error.  PA eventually closed to 2

If biden loses PA, he must win FL or NC if  my math is correct.  Both of these states are within one point. This assumes Biden wins the other 3 swing states (AZ WI MI) plus every close lean blue (NH NV MN). That's a razor thin election. No other way to slice it.

hence his messaging "this is scranton vs park avenue". direct appeal to pen voters. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?
    If you are referring to "Q WWG1WGA"  It's QAnon and the silly jumble of letters is "Where we go 1, we go all." I don't exactly know what it means. But they're achieving mainstream, now.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?
    If you are referring to "Q WWG1WGA"  It's QAnon and the silly jumble of letters is "Where we go 1, we go all." I don't exactly know what it means. But they're achieving mainstream, now.

Yup. If you see #WWG1WGA or #SaveTheChildren you know you've encountered a QAnon nutter.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,937
    jeffbr said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

Yup. If you see #WWG1WGA or #SaveTheChildren you know you've encountered a QAnon nutter.
    And it is interesting that the admin has referred to Q as nuts.  Pence cancelled an appearance with a Q freak.  Yet they still cling to tRump.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

Thanks, I have heard that phrase by them.  The good news is that sort of thing speaks to the people who are on board already. 
    jeffbr said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

is that what save the children is about? jesus. that's spray painted on a train overpass 5 minutes from my fucking house. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    any minute now those q nutters will be starting fight club. or even better, ass kickers united where they will be drinking wolf cola, fight milk, and exercising at a ratty dive bar contemplating their next apartment construction job.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    jeffbr said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

is that what save the children is about? jesus. that's spray painted on a train overpass 5 minutes from my fucking house. 
    Yep they're even up there.  It's amazing how many stupid people there are.  It appeals to a certain mindset that is not connected to a political party, country or anything.  Before the internet, these people were your local crank, the person you laughed at when you walked away.  Now they have found their compatriots. 
    edited September 2020
    The whole "save the children" thing seems to be two-fold. First, it relates to one of Q's staple issues, that the Dems and Hollywood are knee-deep in child-trafficking and pedophilia. I suspect this conspiracy lie was a conscious decision knowing that pedophiles are about the least-liked people on earth (and maybe a little projection, too).  Second, it's a way to attract people.  I saw about a dozen folks on a street corner in my wife's little home town with "save the children" signs.  No Trump gear; no Q.  But also, no real showing of any direct action they were interested in taking. By title, it's a cause anyone can get behind, but it's probably cult-recruitment.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    OnWis97 said:
    The whole "save the children" thing seems to be two-fold. First, it relates to one of Q's staple issues, that the Dems and Hollywood are knee-deep in child-trafficking and pedophilia. I suspect this conspiracy lie was a conscious decision knowing that pedophiles are about the least-liked people on earth (and maybe a little projection, too).  Second, it's a way to attract people.  I saw about a dozen folks on a street corner in my wife's little home town with "save the children" signs.  No Trump gear; no Q.  But also, no real showing of any direct action they were interested in taking. By title, it's a cause anyone can get behind, but it's probably cult-recruitment.
    Agreed. I mean, who is gonna be against pedophilia right?! It's an easy way to lure naïve people in and then gradually they slip further and further down the worm hole. I see it with a few friends on facebook. It's disturbing. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

Thanks, I have heard that phrase by them.  The good news is that sort of thing speaks to the people who are on board already. 

Conversely those are the people who never used to vote. Last time, trump had a year to round up low participation/funny/ scary people. 

This time, he has four more years to round up and register the crazies that never used to care about politics. Now they all have flags and signs in their yards. That’s the undecideds or undercounted that the polls could have difficulty capturing. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,423
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

have read it means Where We Go 1 We Go All
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

In my beloved deep blue state, I saw a few trump flags on pickups yesterday. Have yet to ever see a Biden or Clinton  flag. The latest PA poll has Biden up 3. That is very close yet 538 still has Biden with a75% chance there. There is a phenomenon among a segment of whites that pollsters and 538 are just not able to identify.  FL and PA are very concerning. A USSC battle certainly doesn’t help as it takes attention away from trumps covid failures. It’s the Q conspiracy buffs for sure but more than that. Rural America loves this guy.
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

In my beloved deep blue state, I saw a few trump flags on pickups yesterday. Have yet to ever see a Biden or Clinton  flag. The latest PA poll has Biden up 3. That is very close yet 538 still has Biden with a75% chance there. There is a phenomenon among a segment of whites that pollsters and 538 are just not able to identify.  FL and PA are very concerning. A USSC battle certainly doesn’t help as it takes attention away from trumps covid failures. It’s the Q conspiracy buffs for sure but more than that. Rural America loves this guy.
    I don't think Democrats drape their trucks in flags.  I have to see one either, even though I'm in a D district. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

I don't think Democrats drape their trucks in flags.  I have to see one either, even though I'm in a D district. 
    yeah, that's more an obnoxious republican trait. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Yeah the "silent majority" really isn't silent.  They are proud to support that piece of shit.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

'Nuff said.

OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

'Nuff said.

Just more evidence of the existence of it.  Lex inadvertently admitted to that which he normally denies.  WWG1WGA.
    hell yes he did

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,604
    538 takes a lot of shit for 2016, but from what I remember, they were the only outlet giving Trump like a 30% chance of winning, and a lot of their written content was trying to tell their readers that 30% was significant, many things were within the margin for error, and the election CAN go to Trump.

I feel better this time with the 20-30%.  I believe a lot of the pollsters have adjusted their methods and thinking.  I also believe there are a lot more closeted Biden voters this time around than Hillary, and we could even see a bounce that direction like we saw with Trump in 2016.

The things that make me VERY nervous are to what extent are people going to be prevented from voting?  They are playing all sorts of evil games with that.  If everyone votes, Trump gets crushed.

Also, Trump WILL contest the election, and it is probable he will be 'leading' after election night.  He is going to contest it, I fear violence will erupt in the streets.  The Supreme Court might ultimately have to decide it, and, well, that took a major blow this week.  Kiss our democracy goodbye if/when this happens.
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    OnWis97 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    OnWis97 said:
    tbergs said:
    dignin said:

What does that mean?

'Nuff said.

Just more evidence of the existence of it.  Lex inadvertently admitted to that which he normally denies.  WWG1WGA.

Haha

2 new ABC News polls released this morning.

Trump up 4 in FL
    Trump up 1 in AZ

Fasten your seatbelts, 2020 is not 2016 whatnow?

(as sweet home Alabama comes on the radio, woooooo hooooo  hooooo!)

“we all did what we could do, watergate does not bother me, does your conscience bother you!)

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
    You left out the other FL poll...Biden +3

I don't expect Biden to win Florida.  The D's lost both the governor and the senate seat in '18, a wave year.  The thing that surprises me about this NBC batch is Kelly only +1 in AZ.  I'm not buying that one.