*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,201
    I don’t know if it’s just been a bit of luck, but the Embiid/Horford combo has been way better in the bubble than it was all season. Today’s game was pretty meaningless, but that Orlando team has had the Sixers’ number for years now.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    RiotZact said:
    I don’t know if it’s just been a bit of luck, but the Embiid/Horford combo has been way better in the bubble than it was all season. Today’s game was pretty meaningless, but that Orlando team has had the Sixers’ number for years now.
    They never make it easy though, do they? Is it too much to ask for a 20 pt cake walk win?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,169
    Stick a fork in him.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Son of a bitch
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    edited August 2020
    I know shit happens(players get hurt) but Simmons has probably played too much basketball.

I read a article(I can't remember who wrote it) that kids are playing too much of the SAME sport all year round.. Travel ball is beating the shit of them when their are young. Article had  quotes from orthopedic Doctors who said they are performing knee operations on kids who are in their teens, and when they get into the operation they say the kids have knees of someone in ther  20's or 30's.  

I follow HS Hoops and I've been saying kids are playing TOO MUCH. I'll see a kid when he's a Frosh or Soph in HS and he can jump out of the gym and by his SR. year or by the time he's in College, he doesn't have the same Hops. He was playing all year round for years beating the shit out himself. 

Here's and example of how it goes for a lot of these kids that just play Hoops:

(I'll use NJ & PA. since I know how there Seasons go)

Start of HS Season practices usually starts Mid to Late Nov. and games start early to mid-Dec.

Play regular season games until late Feb. beginning of March,  and State Tourney can last to mid to late March.

Not sure the exact date when the full swing of AAU Events  starts but it's in April. I know I go to a during the week AAU event that starts in Late March and that last until Mid April. They don't play weekends(Fri.-Sun) because other weekend AAU Events are going on so those kids can play in those weekend events. AAU is usually every weekend and last to sometime in Aug(I don't fully follow AAU so not sure of exact dates).

Then, Open Gyms start right up when school starts in September & goes into October.

And, the last couple of years a school near me has been having a Weekend Event in October for HS Teams.

It basically NEVER ends. I get it kids love to play and parents think it's a good way for their kid to get a scholarship, but they're beating the shit out of themselves.

EDIT: I forgot to add the Summer & Fall Leagues that some Local areas have. 
    Post edited by cutz on
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Damn game blocked in my area. Why is it on NBA tv and not Comcast or something?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    And apparently Embiidbout for the rest of the game with an injury 🙄
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Looked like a fluke thing.
    Time for Average Al to earn that 28 Mil
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    cutz said:
    I know shit happens(players get hurt) but Simmons has probably played too much basketball.

I read a article(I can't remember who wrote it) that kids are playing too much of the SAME sport all year round.. Travel ball is beating the shit of them when their are young. Article had  quotes from orthopedic Doctors who said they are performing knee operations on kids who are in their teens, and when they get into the operation they say the kids have knees of someone in ther  20's or 30's.  

I follow HS Hoops and I've been saying kids are playing TOO MUCH. I'll see a kid when he's a Frosh or Soph in HS and he can jump out of the gym and by his SR. year or by the time he's in College, he doesn't have the same Hops. He was playing all year round for years beating the shit out himself. 

Start of HS Season practices usually starts Mid to Late Nov. and games start early to mid-Dec.

Play regular season games until late Feb. beginning of March,  and State Tourney can last to mid to late March.

Not sure the exact date when the full swing of AAU Events  starts but it's in April. I know I go to a during the week AAU event that starts in Late March and that last until Mid April. They don't play weekends(Fri.-Sun) because other weekend AAU Events are going on so those kids can play in those weekend events. AAU is usually every weekend and last to sometime in Aug(I don't fully follow AAU so not sure of exact dates).

Then, Open Gyms start right up when school starts in September & goes into October.

And, the last couple of years a school near me has been having a Weekend Event in October for HS Teams.

It basically NEVER ends. I get it kids love to play and parents think it's a good way for their kid to get a scholarship, but they're beating the shit out of themselves.

Absolutely these kids are playing too many games and frankly they don't get to practice enough.  Playing AAU ball every weekend and other  summer games during the week doesn't leave a whole lot of time to work on your game. It also just becomes a grind. I have seen kids who aren't even playing at a level higher than HS who get burnt out because their high school requires so much time and almost full year commitment for basketball and football   It's not just basketball either. A good friend of mine's daughter is a D1 Field Hockey recruit and the amount of games she has played since she was freshman in  high school is insane (well maybe not in 2020).   In previous years as soon as her HS season was over it was club team, then indoor in the winter, then back to club in the spring and camps in the summer.  It is also better for your body to play different sports as a young age because it allows different muscles to develop.  It's been a trend for the past 20 years or so and I don't see it being beneficial.
    Wow what a game. Should be a big confidence boost for Richardson and Burks is looking good too. I’m happy to take the L in the end, bring on the Celtics. 
    Game was on NBC Sports Philadelphia  Plus 
    pjhawks said:
    cutz said:

Absolutely these kids are playing too many games and frankly they don't get to practice enough.  Playing AAU ball every weekend and other  summer games during the week doesn't leave a whole lot of time to work on your game. It also just becomes a grind. I have seen kids who aren't even playing at a level higher than HS who get burnt out because their high school requires so much time and almost full year commitment for basketball and football   It's not just basketball either. A good friend of mine's daughter is a D1 Field Hockey recruit and the amount of games she has played since she was freshman in  high school is insane (well maybe not in 2020).   In previous years as soon as her HS season was over it was club team, then indoor in the winter, then back to club in the spring and camps in the summer.  It is also better for your body to play different sports as a young age because it allows different muscles to develop.  It's been a trend for the past 20 years or so and I don't see it being beneficial.
    Yeah, it's crazy the amount of games these kids play for ONE sport.

Burned out is right.

I agree about playing different sports. My friends and I talk about that all the time.

I haven't read or heard a report on Embiid yet.
    Has Ben Simmons really played a ton, though? Only one season of college and his team didn't make the tournament and then he got hurt and sat out his first year. And this year he hasn't played more than two games since February...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Has Ben Simmons really played a ton, though? Only one season of college and his team didn't make the tournament and then he got hurt and sat out his first year. And this year he hasn't played more than two games since February...
    Yes, before College.

Check out my Post  on how much Hoops kids play when they're young.  cutz said:

Ben's done for the season.

I'll see you in hell, 2020. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

they weren't winning shit this year anyway. It might give them a reason not to fire Brown at the end of playoffs though.
    pjhawks said:

they weren't winning shit this year anyway. It might give them a reason not to fire Brown at the end of playoffs though.
    Well we will never know. Getting Simmons back was a huge boost so I'd say their odds were better in the bubble than back in the Spring time. So frustrating. Hopefully he's not afraid to shoot when he comes back next year. Ugh. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I think it might be time to either A. Accept that Simmons can’t/isn’t willing to shoot and plan/build around that reality or B. Trade him if you aren’t willing to accept that.

I prefer option A. I’ve never seen a player ridiculed so much for having one sole weakness. Yes, shooting is extremely important, but look at everything else. Defense, passing, creating transition opportunities, driving to the bucket. He is not only good at those things, he’s elite. You can count on one hand the number of players in the NBA that are better than him in those. There are 5 people on the court, each with their own skill set. 1 player on the court missing one and only one skill should not be the difference between contending for a title and not contending for the title.  
    RiotZact said:
    I think it might be time to either A. Accept that Simmons can’t/isn’t willing to shoot and plan/build around that reality or B. Trade him if you aren’t willing to accept that.

I prefer option A. I’ve never seen a player ridiculed so much for having one sole weakness. Yes, shooting is extremely important, but look at everything else. Defense, passing, creating transition opportunities, driving to the bucket. He is not only good at those things, he’s elite. You can count on one hand the number of players in the NBA that are better than him in those. There are 5 people on the court, each with their own skill set. 1 player on the court missing one and only one skill should not be the difference between contending for a title and not contending for the title.  
    He's an all star. He is a great player. He is elite. I get all of that and I love him but let's not pretend not shooting the ball is a minor little weakness for an NBA basketball player. It's kind of important.  All you have to do is look at what happened to him the playoffs last year to see how detrimental a player as important as him not shooting is to this team. His numbers decreased in just about every major category.

It's really not that much to ask of the guy to just shoot the fucking ball. Not even talking about making the shots. Just at least let the defense think you might to give your big man some space. It's not rocket science. 

chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:

He's an all star. He is a great player. He is elite. I get all of that and I love him but let's not pretend not shooting the ball is a minor little weakness for an NBA basketball player. It's kind of important.  All you have to do is look at what happened to him the playoffs last year to see how detrimental a player as important as him not shooting is to this team. His numbers decreased in just about every major category.

It's really not that much to ask of the guy to just shoot the fucking ball. Not even talking about making the shots. Just at least let the defense think you might to give your big man some space. It's not rocket science. 

I get this to some extent but the idea that just shooting it is important is kind of silly. He needs to be a viable threat, if he is not a viable threat then don’t shoot the ball. Bad shots don’t help either. One of the reasons his lack of shooting hurts this team is because the roster makeup is horrendous. 

Simmons being out will show us how much of a load Embiid can handle and how much he can carry a team.  Will he actually be able to stay on the court for a seven game series let alone four of them? Highly doubtful
    RiotZact said:

What if he really is just that bad though? I thought about this the other night during the Spurs game. DeRozen shoots 27% from 3. It doesn’t do anything but make the other team laugh at him. It doesn’t create space, it doesn’t create opportunities for his teammates, it wastes possessions. 

Don’t get me wrong, it would be awesome if he started shooting more. I would be just excited as anyone else if he did. But when is enough enough? When do they either move on from him or commit to working around the issue? It’s been 3 full seasons and nothing has changed.

Also, it seems like a pretty big part of the problem is psychological, so is the best way to correct something like that to put a huge amount of pressure on him? I would think not, it only makes it worse. If he’s listening to the fans, the talking heads, and even some of his own teammates and coaches, then he feels like the success of the team hinges on his ability to shoot. Perhaps if people accepted him for what he is and the coaches/administration committed to surrounding him with the right teammates, then the problem might fix itself. 
    edited August 2020
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

What if he really is just that bad though? I thought about this the other night during the Spurs game. DeRozen shoots 27% from 3. It doesn’t do anything but make the other team laugh at him. It doesn’t create space, it doesn’t create opportunities for his teammates, it wastes possessions. 

Don’t get me wrong, it would be awesome if he started shooting more. I would be just excited as anyone else if he did. But when is enough enough? When do they either move on from him or commit to working around the issue? It’s been 3 full seasons and nothing has changed.

Also, it seems like a pretty big part of the problem is psychological, so is the best way to correct something like that to put a huge amount of pressure on him? I would think not, it only makes it worse. If he’s listening to the fans, the talking heads, and even some of his own teammates and coaches, then he feels like the success of the team hinges on his ability to shoot. Perhaps if people accepted him for what he is and the coaches/administration committed to surrounding him with the right teammates, then the problem might fix itself. 
    I don't know man. It probably is a mental issue to some extent. Jason Kidd couldn't shoot at all early on but he seemed to get better and better.

Derozen is a different kind of player. He's one of the best mid range players in the game. He'd be a much better all around player if he was better from 3 though. Ben, on the other hand, rarely attempts anything outside of the lane....

He can't go his whole career not shooting the ball. He just can't. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:

I don't know man. It probably is a mental issue to some extent. Jason Kidd couldn't shoot at all early on but he seemed to get better and better.

Derozen is a different kind of player. He's one of the best mid range players in the game. He'd be a much better all around player if he was better from 3 though. Ben, on the other hand, rarely attempts anything outside of the lane....

He can't go his whole career not shooting the ball. He just can't. 
    I realize that. I guess I’m just torn on the timeline of when it might become a regular thing. On one hand, he has all the time in the world if he stays relatively healthy because of how young he is. But Embiid is a little older and with his constant health problems probably has a much shorter career or at least a shorter prime. So each year that this remains the #1 issue for the team, that’s another year of Embiid’s career wasted. 

I think they had the right idea with snatching up Tobi last year, but that’s just if you look at his 3 point shooting percentage from last year with LA on paper. If you actually look at the type of 3s he was taking, they aren’t really what the Sixers need to cover up the weakness of Simmons not shooting. You almost need one of these guys that can pull up from the logo. Almost all of them are a liability on D, but with Simmons and Embiid being such elite defenders and assuming Richardson and Thybulle could stick around for awhile I’d imagine they could pick up the slack enough for it to be worth it. 
    RiotZact said:

He's an all star. He is a great player. He is elite. 

All star, yes.
    Great player, sure.
    Elite...not even close at this point.
    Poncier said:
    RiotZact said:

He's an all star. He is a great player. He is elite. 

All star, yes.
    Great player, sure.
    Elite...not even close at this point.
    I suppose it depends on your definition. There are 7 billion+ people in this world and he is in the top 20 at playing basketball. 
    edited August 2020
    Maybe elite is a step too far. He’d certainly be elite if he at least attempted and made a few jumpers a game though!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    And in the top 6 1/2 billion at shooting a basketball
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

ed243421 said:
    And in the top 6 1/2 billion at shooting a basketball
    Lol! 

Prime Shaq would also have met that description. Not that I’m comparing the two, but I don’t think it should be an immediate disqualification.

For the record, I don’t think he’s “elite” yet. I’d say that’s the top 10 or so. But I think if he found a way to average 20+ points a game he would be, which plenty of players without a jump shot have done.