*** -- PROCESSING Your Philadelphia 76ers -- ***

Comments

• Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,288
    Wobbie said:
    let the hyperbole begin.
    You mean all the crossed out "shows" listed in people's signatures? Losers. Get well Eddie.

Oh wait, you're talking about Paul George?
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,624
    "Playoff P" is 53-61 in the payoffs for his career. Good luck hitching your lion killing horse to that wagon.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    Poncier said:
    "Playoff P" is 53-61 in the payoffs for his career. Good luck hitching your lion killing horse to that wagon.
    Try not to drown in one of those duck boats.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21;
    Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Poncier said:
    Try not to drown in one of those duck boats.
    Lots of miles on those boats.  ;)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,405
    I believe this is up from +1300 the other day. Just an absolute MASSIVE improvement from Tobias. Every facet of the game. Perfect fit as the third guy behind Jo and Maxey.

Love the Oubre contract. Drummond is an improvement. Non Jo minutes will be much better.

I would look for Basketball Paul to be release for more cap space if they cannot find a way to trade him. 

We're back, baby.

www.myspace.com
    It will be fun. Unless it isn't.

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,932
    It will not be fun until they get out of the 2nd round lol. BUT pleasantly surprised I'd say.
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,415
    I love how every time the Sixers sign an over priced veteran the sheep get all excited that this time it will actually work.  I hope it works out but not confident.   #TrustTheProcess year 11 or is it 12 now?

www.myspace.com
    pjhawks said:
    I love how every time the Sixers sign an over priced veteran the sheep get all excited that this time it will actually work.  I hope it works out but not confident.   #TrustTheProcess year 11 or is it 12 now?
    I'd say it's unlikely. I foresee a Brooklyn situation where the 3 superstars hardly ever all play together.

But. It could work. And if they didn't sign him they'd in all likelihood be done by the 2nd round yet again.

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,728
    Hearing Tobias to Detroit
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,751
    Poncier said:
    So what other option/s did the 6ers have?

Could they have done a better upgrade other than signing George?
    cutz said:
    Poncier said:

No.

I do know they were in talks with Utah on a trade for Markkanen. I supposed some may have wanted that instead. They were actually trying to do that in addition to the George signing though...cupboard would have been bare again if that happened though. 

George was their best option. He was the guy they have wanted for months. He's the absolute best fit. And they did not have to give up any assets to sign him.
    www.myspace.com
    cutz said:
    Poncier said:

Maybe instead of the $53 mil/yr for George, they pay the $17 Mil/year for Thompson plus the $22 mil/year for Caldwell Pope (both excellent 3 point shooters) and find somebody else with the extra 14 mil and build out an actual roster with some shooters.
    Just a thought.
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:
    Poncier said:

Maybe instead of the $53 mil/yr for George, they pay the $17 Mil/year for Thompson plus the $22 mil/year for Caldwell Pope (both excellent 3 point shooters) and find somebody else with the extra 14 mil and build out an actual roster with some shooters.
    Just a thought.
    Klay Thompson? Yeesh...come on man. I would've taken him on a much smaller deal. $50M for 3 years? Hell no. 

KCP... they did have discussions on signing him with or without George. He ultimately chose to not pay income tax in Florida though. Would have liked for them to have gotten him. 

www.myspace.com
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:
    Poncier said:

Just a thought.
    Klay Thompson? Yeesh...come on man. I would've taken him on a much smaller deal. $50M for 3 years? Hell no. 

KCP... they did have discussions on signing him with or without George. He ultimately chose to not pay income tax in Florida though. Would have liked for them to have gotten him. 

Just sayin', maybe building out a sensible roster with complimentary parts rather than star hunting.
    You have 2 all stars, you need the right pieces around them. Thompson isn't what he used to be, but neither is PG (they're both 34), and he costs 1/3 of George, then you could have sweetened the offer to KCP to offset the Florida tax situation and still had cash for a capable 3rd player.
    Plus you add 2 guys with championship pedigrees, both with multiple rings who could lend some guidance to Embiid and Maxey about what is needed to go far in the playoffs. (this formula worked well with the C's addition of Jrue this year) Instead, you get one guy who has never won, has averaged missing about 30 games a year the past 5 seasons and costs about the same as Embiid. Not sure it's the way I'd construct the roster. But winning the offseason is winning something I guess.
    edited July 2
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:
    Poncier said:

Just a thought.

Just sayin', maybe building out a sensible roster with complimentary parts rather than star hunting.
    You have 2 all stars, you need the right pieces around them. Thompson isn't what he used to be, but neither is PG (they're both 34), and he costs 1/3 of George, then you could have sweetened the offer to KCP to offset the Florida tax situation and still had cash for a capable 3rd player.
    Plus you add 2 guys with championship pedigrees, both with multiple rings who could lend some guidance to Embiid and Maxey about what is needed to go far in the playoffs. (this formula worked well with the C's addition of Jrue this year) Instead, you get one guy who has never won, has averaged missing about 30 games a year the past 5 seasons and costs about the same as Embiid. Not sure it's the way I'd construct the roster. But winning the offseason is winning something I guess.
    Nah. That's not it. You don't go through what they did last season after the Harden trade and end up with... Klay Thompson and KCP. 

They might be the same age but Klay Thompson has had debilitating injuries and is very close to being washed. He is a turnstile on defense. No way would I want him as a building block on my team at this point in his career. George is still an all star...and the fit with Jo and Maxey is damn near perfect. That cannot be understated enough. Massive improvement over Tobias Harris, obviously. 

Also--it was a 4 year stretch when he missed a good amount of time not 5, but two of those years were covid seasons. He only missed 8 games last year and shot a career high 41% from 3 on 8 attempts/game
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    www.myspace.com
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,863
    cutz said:
    Poncier said:

No.

I do know they were in talks with Utah on a trade for Markkanen. I supposed some may have wanted that instead. They were actually trying to do that in addition to the George signing though...cupboard would have been bare again if that happened though. 

George was their best option. He was the guy they have wanted for months. He's the absolute best fit. And they did not have to give up any assets to sign him.
    I can’t get past the nickname he bestowed upon himself.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    cutz said:
    Poncier said:

No.

I can’t get past the nickname he bestowed upon himself.
    Ha...I remember you saying that years ago. It's a pretty dumb name...and you cannot give yourself a nickname, for sure. 
    www.myspace.com
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:
    Poncier said:

Just a thought.

Nah. That's not it. You don't go through what they did last season after the Harden trade and end up with... Klay Thompson and KCP. 

They might be the same age but Klay Thompson has had debilitating injuries and is very close to being washed. He is a turnstile on defense. No way would I want him as a building block on my team at this point in his career. George is still an all star...and the fit with Jo and Maxey is damn near perfect. That cannot be understated enough. Massive improvement over Tobias Harris, obviously. 

Also--it was a 4 year stretch when he missed a good amount of time not 5, but two of those years were covid seasons. He only missed 8 games last year and shot a career high 41% from 3 on 8 attempts/game
    Counter point, Thompson's 2 injuries were 4 and 5 years ago respectively, he has played 69 and 77 games the past 2 seasons (more than George each year) and averaged 22 and 18 PPG. For 1/3 the price he's a better option if you use the other 38 mil well.

But we obviously see it differently. Time will tell.
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:
    Poncier said:

Just a thought.

Counter point, Thompson's 2 injuries were 4 and 5 years ago respectively, he has played 69 and 77 games the past 2 seasons (more than George each year) and averaged 22 and 18 PPG. For 1/3 the price he's a better option if you use the other 38 mil well.

But we obviously see it differently. Time will tell.

There are/were trade options (Markannan, etc) out there that an argument can be made might've made more sense. But signing Klay Thompson and hoping he'd be a bigger difference maker on this team... in 2024? No bueno.
    www.myspace.com
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,751
    Markannan would've been a good pickup, but at what cost?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,004
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    cutz said:
    Poncier said:

Just a thought.

Klay has been a shell of himself since coming back from his injury.  His defense stinks now, I thought maybe he could still do that but nope.

Don't waste your money.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,004
    Paul George is a great fit for you guys.  Now, will they all be able to play together?  Healthy?  If so it will be fun to watch but the experiment in LA didn't work...
    cutz said:
    Markannan would've been a good pickup, but at what cost?
    Therein lies the issue. Would take probably all of our draft capital plus Reed and maybe Mccain. Plus he's on the last year of his deal. 

That's why, I think, Morey's cap space plan makes sense. Hold onto those assets to help fill out the roster by the deadline...
    www.myspace.com
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,932
    edited July 2
    Yeah, to pile on, that's the thing - the Sixers can't afford to trade for pieces because then they're totally screwed for another overpay in the form of assets for Marrkanen.

I think Ponc has green colored glasses when viewing the roster building because Boston is a bunch of bastards that I'm jealous of because they have absolutely hit on every decision they've needed to make.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on

I think Ponc has green colored glasses when viewing the roster building because Boston is a bunch of bastards that I'm jealous of because they have absolutely hit on every decision they've needed to make.
    It's a formula that has also worked for Denver and worked well for Milwaukee in 2022, then they decided to try the 3 headed monster route this year. And to a lesser extent Miami. (You could kind of also argue it with the 2020 Lakers bubble team but that shit gets a huge asterisk)

Going for the 3 headed monster has a high failure rate in recent years.

Harden/Westbrook/Durant OKC...fail.
    Westbrook/George Anthony OKC...fail
    Lebron/Davis/Westbrook LAL...fail
    Durant/Irving/Harden BKN ...fail.
    Embiid/Harden/Harris PHI...fail.
    Durant/Booker/Beal PHX...fail
    Freak/Lillard/Middleton MIL...fail.

^
    Issue with all of those usually is the same though: fit. This, however fits like a glove.

Also...I'm not sure what is stranger: saying Tobias Harris was part of a "Big Three" or believing Klay Thompson can be some kind of a cornerstone in 2024. 
    www.myspace.com
    ^
    Issue with all of those usually is the same though: fit. This, however fits like a glove.

I'm gonna guess if we go back through this thread, we'll find you said the same thing about James Harden fitting like a glove in Philly.

edited July 2
    Poncier said:
    ^

I'm gonna guess if we go back through this thread, we'll find you said the same thing about James Harden fitting like a glove in Philly.

Nope. Harden had to change his game to mesh with Jo's. When he did, they played great together. I think you liked that trade as much as anyone else actually. 

PG doesn't have to change anything. Natural fit. 
    www.myspace.com