The Food Thread

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    As requested lol

https://food52.com/recipes/76077-new-zealand-style-beef-cheddar-pies

I added roughly chopped crimini mushrooms.  For the cheese I used jalapeño jack and aged white cheddar.
    hedonist said:
    Yes, recipe please! Hopefully it’s simple and the dough doesn’t need to homemade. 
    No worries.  Frozen puff pastry is the way to go.  I used tenderflake.

New Zealand has a lot of things going for it, but meat pies might be the best. Recipe!
    I could not agree more!
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Thank you for sharing, @Fifthelement . :smile: 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

The berry haul is in, nothing left but handfuls here and there.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:

And you freeze these, right? Any jam being made put of these? 
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

Yeah, those are all frozen.  I spent most of yesterday prepping and getting started on syrup and jam.I only got through the black raspberries on the right, which have to be strained, and then a bag and a half of the blues. Still 3 and a half bags to work through, doubt I'll get them all jammed today.  That's fine though, I will have a year's worth and some gift jars laid up by the end of the day, and sometime this winter I can work on the rest.
    Hot water bath for your berries, yes? Do you pressure can at all? 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    rgambs said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:

Yeah, those are all frozen.  I spent most of yesterday prepping and getting started on syrup and jam.I only got through the black raspberries on the right, which have to be strained, and then a bag and a half of the blues. Still 3 and a half bags to work through, doubt I'll get them all jammed today.  That's fine though, I will have a year's worth and some gift jars laid up by the end of the day, and sometime this winter I can work on the rest.
    I hope you saved some to make some pies. Warm blueberry pie ala mode with the melting vanilla ice cream on top - the best 😋
    deadendp said:
    Hot water bath for your berries, yes? Do you pressure can at all? 
    Yes, water bath canned.  I have pressure canned with my mom in the past, but I need a new o-ring and regulator so I haven't pressure canned from my own garden yet.   Might ask for a nice electric canner for Christmas though...
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Not quite a Cliffy kind of feast but a lil Seafood Sunday at the Juggler Homestead today. Scallops are fresh caught off the Delaware coast. My parents brought them up. 

The tomatoes are from my backyard. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ Damn. Looks outstanding. Fresh scallops are as good as it gets. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Not quite a Cliffy kind of feast but a lil Seafood Sunday at the Juggler Homestead today. Scallops are fresh caught off the Delaware coast. My parents brought them up. 

Dude, that looks awesome. Love me some orzo pasta salad too

Scallops, shrimp, orzo. Yes, yes, and yes. Enjoy. I had leftover Cobb salad for dinner so I am a bit envious of you right now. Tomatoes also look yummy. 
    When you’re tired and hungover but it’s still seafood Sunday

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    That is balls deep right there.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Didn't have time or gumption to take photos with good lighting and composition, but here's some blueberry jam. 9.5 pints, enough for the year to come.  I also made 2.5 quarts of black raspberry syrup that isn't pictured, and is fantastic. 
    Don't judge my shitty little messy kitchen lol  
    We are poor and I do this all myself so it's hard to keep up 🤣

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    That's some honest to goodness homemade shit right there holy shit. Great job, man.

No judgment whatsoever, you should see this hellscape I'm living in right now.
    That's some honest to goodness homemade shit right there holy shit. Great job, man.

No judgment whatsoever, you should see this hellscape I'm living in right now.
    Honest to goodness homemade shit is just about the perfect description lol
    That's me whole food philosophy, boiled down (har-dee-har) to the basics lol
    Whipping up some sloppy joes from the garden maters right now.  This time of year that food mill stays in the dish strainer on the counter and gets a good bit of use.
  • @rgambs cool, do you wanna share the recipe? We have shit loads of blackberries picked from the garden.
    Well for the syrup it's just 1 cup sugar to one cup juice, simmer it down to desired thickness, 3-10 minutes.  How you get from fruit to juice is the trick, I use an old-fashioned food mill, but you can cook down and strain through cheesecloth.
    For the jam, which is technically a preserves recipe, I used a recipe that was 5lbs berries to 3lbs sugar, 20 minute rapid boil. 
    I would look on the website for Kerr or Ball for tested and proven blackberry recipes.  Too many seeds for my taste as a jam or preserve, so I strain and make jelly or syrup.  The syrup is going very fast...waffles, ice cream, milkshakes, raspberry vinaigrette...
    That is awesome stuff, man.  Very impressive.
    rgambs said:
    Didn't have time or gumption to take photos with good lighting and composition, but here's some blueberry jam. 9.5 pints, enough for the year to come.  I also made 2.5 quarts of black raspberry syrup that isn't pictured, and is fantastic. 

No judgment here. I don't have a fancy kitchen either, but great things happen in there. Stuff looks fabulous! Canning is a labor of love. Thank you for sharing that labor of love with us. 
    GlowGirl said:

Scallops, shrimp, orzo. Yes, yes, and yes. Enjoy. I had leftover Cobb salad for dinner so I am a bit envious of you right now. Tomatoes also look yummy. 
     My grandfather actually invented the Cobb Salad. He was a chef and he worked all over and there was a time he was at the Drake Hotel working in Chicago and he would experiment with different combinations
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    GlowGirl said:

My grandfather actually invented the Cobb Salad. He was a chef and he worked all over and there was a time he was at the Drake Hotel working in Chicago and he would experiment with different combinations
    Oh, you. 
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905

I missed this the other day.  Holy crap!  Yum!  Looks amazing.

rgambs said:

No time for judgement here.  I’m too busy admiring all the love and labour that you put into gardening, harvesting and cooking / baking / preserving what you’ve grown.  It’s amazing.  I’m craving blueberry jelly right now lol  Thanks  ;)=)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    GlowGirl said:

I do love a good Cobb salad. It's my favorite type of an officially named salad. In my opinion it hands down beats the Waldorf, Caeser, or Chef.

GlowGirl said:

wait...what?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    GlowGirl said:

wait...what?
    My grandfather invented Bingo!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Bob Cobb. He's my grandfather. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited August 2020
    Bob Cobb. He's my grandfather. 
    I see what you did there :rofl:

In popular culture

The origin of the Cobb salad was the subject of a debate featured in Episode 3 of Season 2 of Curb Your Enthusiasm.[7]

Post edited by GlowGirl on