Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    GlowGirl said:

My pot roast came out great. I froze most of it in single serving containers. It will be great on those cold nights I don’t feel like cooking. 
    What cut of meat? what do you add?
    I recently got a Dutch oven, do my cooking outside. Think this will turn out great in there.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Very nice.  We have lots of items in the freezer for those nights.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    Loujoe said:
    My bud told me to cook a steak over an open wood fire.  I fought the idea but I tried it with a fat rib-eye. Did like 4min one side 5 the other. It had some serious char on it. A little blue cheese crumbles.
    Would do it again just 2 to 3 min per side. 
    Burned the heck out of my potatoes from those flare ups :/ 

Yeah I’m not sure 🤔 about on open flames! I bet it tasted great though 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,887
    edited January 2023
    Loujoe said:
    GlowGirl said:

My pot roast came out great. I froze most of it in single serving containers. It will be great on those cold nights I don’t feel like cooking. 
    What cut of meat? what do you add?
    I recently got a Dutch oven, do my cooking outside. Think this will turn out great in there.
    You can use either chuck or bottom round. I used bottom round this time because the butcher told me it was a bit leaner. But I have used chuck in the past as well. Both cuts have to be cooked low and slow for them to get really tender. I cooked this for about 3 hours at 350. the meat should be 3.5-4 pounds. I first seared the meat on the stovetop in olive oil and added 2 cut onions and 3 smashed cloves of garlic, and a Tbs of tomato paste. When those started to cook I added 1 cup of red wine, 2 cups of beef broth, 1 tsp thyme and 2 bay leaves. Brought that to a simmer and then transferred to the 350 degree oven for 1.5 hours and then put in a pound of the small red potatoes and a package of baby carrots and cooked another 1.5 hours. Added the peas near the end. 

If yoi make it outside let me know how it came out. 
    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Options
    ^will. Thanks for the details. Wouldn't think of the wine, bay leaves, thyme or order of adding stuff. Last time I cooked a stew the potatoes got over cooked a bit. :)
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    ^will. Thanks for the details. Wouldn't think of the wine, bay leaves, thyme or order of adding stuff. Last time I cooked a stew the potatoes got over cooked a bit. :)
    The wine is a must. The alcohol cooks off, but it really adds a rich flavor. I used a cabernet sauvignion. The order matters because the meat has to cook longer than the potatoes and carrots. It's a really easy recipe, but you have to follow the timing. 

• Options
    edited January 2023

• Options
    Used beer instead of wine. Ketchup.instead of tomato paste. Will be done in 3ish hours. Looks great. I might have to add more beer or water if it cooks off. Hard to judge 350 on a fire. Also added mushrooms. 
  • Options

• Options
    super good. Was a little salty so added 2 more cups of water. Prob 2+ beers total. Potatoes and carrots not overcooked because added half way through. 
    Good cooking lesson GG. The hot peppers add a touch of heat. Really good.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    super good. Was a little salty so added 2 more cups of water. Prob 2+ beers total. Potatoes and carrots not overcooked because added half way through. 
    Good cooking lesson GG. The hot peppers add a touch of heat. Really good.
    Glad it came out. I used low sodium beef broth so it cut down on the salt. Haven’t thought of subbing beer for the red wine. My mom makes a good brisket that uses beer and chili sauce. Maybe I will try that next. 
  • Options
    lmckenney24lmckenney24 Posts: 1,930
    Smoked Tri-Tip. ETA about 2 hours. Shoukd be great with a little chimichurri!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Ohhh yeah. 

What am I prepping for?

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Ohhh yeah. 

What am I prepping for?

What do I get with a correct guess?

The mayo is throwing me for a loop. Everything else, I'd lean towards Taco's. 
    Post edited by lmckenney24 on
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Mayo and siracha throwing me for a loop but assume tacos too with a siracha mayo sauce 
  • Options
    Yes, fish tacos.
    The sauce is what was puzzling.
    Could eat this stuff every day

• Options
    Yes, fish tacos.
    The sauce is what was puzzling.
    Could eat this stuff every day

Love fish tacos. I assume a spicy mayo then?
  • Options
    And margs with those billion limes?
  • Options
    Yes to Margs.  Making some now.
    Yes to spicy....one fish spicy, one saucy spicy
    Others not spicy.
    Also- 8 year old got ziti and some thawed homemade sauce.
    Because "fish is disgusting"

• Options
    Yes to Margs.  Making some now.
    Yes to spicy....one fish spicy, one saucy spicy
    Others not spicy.
    Also- 8 year old got ziti and some thawed homemade sauce.
    Because "fish is disgusting"

Looks good buddy!
  • Options
    Cheers to yall
    This is food - dessert

• Options
    edited January 2023
    Cheers to yall
    This is food - dessert

Looks great. Cheers 🍸
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Sunday pasta.
    Beef ribs.

• Options
    I'll be over soon to eat that!  :)

• Options
    eddiec said:
    Sunday pasta.
    Beef ribs.

I can’t wait to see the spectacular photo when it’s done. 
  • Options
    Haven’t contributed anything worth while to this thread in a while but think this is worthy…Tuna over arugula with an olive tapenade 

• Options
    Haven’t contributed anything worth while to this thread in a while but think this is worthy…Tuna over arugula with an olive tapenade 

Damn dude, that looks good!
  • Options
    Wow!  Picture 📸 is great as well

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    ^^^ everything looks great.

my wife whipped this up last night. damn good. I don’t know what it’s called….pasta, onion, garlic, red bell pepper, diced tomatoes, smoked sausage, a couple of cheeses. surprisingly light.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Looks good.  Mrs ImAlive can cook!