***What's growing? The official garden thread***

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited July 2020
    Potato plants were wiped out by flea beetles followed by 2 weeks days of heat around 90F and no rain.  Oh well.
    Everything else is thriving pretty well.
    I've got 15lbs of berries (2.25 gallons blueberries, 1.5 gallons wild black raspberries) in the freezer waiting to be processed and 22lbs of zucchini in the kitchen, neither count including what's been eaten already. Probably about halfway through the total harvest on both accounts.
    4 quart and 3 pint jars of peas got fridge pickled, but we've eaten 2 quart jars already and given away 2 pints.  
    I'll start in on the zucchini soon, but they don't come out as crunchtastic as the peas, so I've got the classic "too many zucchini" problem going on.
    Chickens have finally started laying, so that's exciting, I was getting impatient.  Averaging 2-3 edible eggs/day, with 1-3 throw aways, and over the next few weeks that will go up and up until I'm getting up to a dozen/day, at which point I don't know what the fuck I'll do with them all lol
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,708
    Its  always feast or famine  isnt it!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    No doubt! 
    I love this time of year, every time I go outside I come back in with food, even if it's just a single egg or handful of berries.
    Turns out the potatoes are hanging in, I pulled the ones with dead and withered tops and found a surprising little haul of new potatoes to go with my bush beans.
    Soup is ready for dinner tomorrow!

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    I will now be purchasing a gooseneck to plant in the garden.  What a cool looking flower!

My pickling cucumbers were ready to pick so I got 8 of them and am making pickles.  Never did that before so hopefully it comes out allright.

Thursday they should be ready!
    I will now be purchasing a gooseneck to plant in the garden.  What a cool looking flower!

My pickling cucumbers were ready to pick so I got 8 of them and am making pickles.  Never did that before so hopefully it comes out allright.

Sour pickles or lacto-fermented?
    I've never actually done real, fermented pickles yet.

rgambs said:

Lacto!

Made up a vinegar brine and put the pickles and brine in a big ol jar with some mustard seed, dill, garlic and salt.

Hoping this works as I planted a bunch of pickling cukes for this very reason.
    @rgambs do u have a problem w ticks or do those chickens take care of that for you?
    @rgambs do u have a problem w ticks or do those chickens take care of that for you?
    I haven't ever picked any up in the chicken yard, but I don't let them out of the yard or they shit on my porch and peck all my produce.
    rgambs said:
    I haven't ever picked any up in the chicken yard, but I don't let them out of the yard or they shit on my porch and peck all my produce.
    When I had chickens they only pooped on my porch when I fed them bread.  When I switched to feed they stayed off the porch for whatever reason.
    rgambs said:
    When I had chickens they only pooped on my porch when I fed them bread.  When I switched to feed they stayed off the porch for whatever reason.
    When I let them free range they would always be in the worst possible place for them to be at the time lol
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    When I let them free range they would always be in the worst possible place for them to be at the time lol
    All kidding aside, they might be happy to be around you.  Mine would strut around me when I was outside and they didn't care for strangers.  They were like watchdogs, I had some cool birds.
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    I’ve been living vicariously through all you happy planters!! Last year our garden was decimated by all the animals around. We are slowly rebuilding. Seeing some yummy harvesting and beautiful flowers.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    rgambs said:

That is a thing of beauty. Blueberries are my favorite. Gorgeous. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434

The Bird-X netting was great at keeping critters from eating my seed or eating my seedlings, but tonight a lil goldfinch got caught up in the netting near the sunflowers. My husband got it out and it flew away. All is good. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
    rgambs said:

Lacto!

Made up a vinegar brine and put the pickles and brine in a big ol jar with some mustard seed, dill, garlic and salt.

Hoping this works as I planted a bunch of pickling cukes for this very reason.
    So my pickles are not Lacto...  The vinegar speeds up the process.

Looking for a real Lacto/fermented pickle recipe.  

Anyone?  One that you have tried and it works.

Today would have been my in-laws 54th wedding anniversary. I put together a vase of garden flowers to give my MIL today. 
  • That's lovely @deadendp I've just worked out what's MIL!
    That's lovely @deadendp I've just worked out what's MIL!
    Whoops. Sorry about that! 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    edited July 2020
    deadendp said:

Today would have been my in-laws 54th wedding anniversary. I put together a vase of garden flowers to give my MIL today. 
    Beautiful. I am sure your MIL will love it. I know this must be a hard day for her today.

deadendp said:

Goosenecks!

Squash and tomatoes! 
    some food bags to give to my daughter. Proud feeling.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    some food bags to give to my daughter. Proud feeling.
    Beautiful! 
    Thank  you 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Going to do the last official pick on the blueberry bushes today, I only expect to get a pint or less.  
    It's supposed to rain all through this weekend so I'll be canning most of the time.  I guess that means I need to clean the kitchen today. 😒
    Busy man. Smoke a joint and get on a mission
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Posted in the Food Thread on accident, same same.

Onion harvest is small this year, but the quality is pretty solid, probably won't lose much, if any, to rot.