albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • SpunkieSpunkie Posts: 6,499
    Loujoe said:
    Yes. That cilantro has tiny flowers if you let it grow. Great for specific pollinators that need those small flowers. a host plant for ladybugs too. Might see their larva crawling all over it.
    Nature is something.
    Sorry about your plants Rob. F..k it all sometimes!  ❤️ 
    Sweet
     Will be hard not to eat them all. Thx for sharing your green thumb tips!
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,159

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,552
    Beet that!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,214
    Beet that!
    My beets are getting close too!
    I picked my first tomato yesterday too!
    Man we are so behind here. I have had strawberry and raspberries but nothing else yet. I will get some pictures of the progress 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Man we are so behind here. I have had strawberry and raspberries but nothing else yet. I will get some pictures of the progress 
    I tool all those pics last week and not a peep.  Wheres @rgambs ?  He was a grower and a shower, heheheeh.
    My beet picture is kinda fake news. All greens mainly. Cooked the greens and ahh hmmm. Not my thing. Maybe make and omelet with some. Or compost.
    Just cut some of my peas back so the cucumbers can grow.  A couple of cherry tomatoes are ready and plants look good. Peppers look meh. I never. Have much luck with them. Maybe just need to wait and will take off. Always love getting my hands dirty anyway.

Just planted yellow stringbean seeds and some pole beans.
    Maybe harvest the rest of my beets and think of something else to plant there.
    Loujoe said:
    My beet picture is kinda fake news. All greens mainly. Cooked the greens and ahh hmmm. Not my thing. Maybe make and omelet with some. Or compost.
    Just cut some of my peas back so the cucumbers can grow.  A couple of cherry tomatoes are ready and plants look good. Peppers look meh. I never. Have much luck with them. Maybe just need to wait and will take off. Always love getting my hands dirty anyway.

Just planted yellow stringbean seeds and some pole beans.
    Maybe harvest the rest of my beets and think of something else to plant there.
    I checked my beets and they are NOT ready…
    Yeah. I saw some small ones at a farm. Not sure if they would have gotten bigger if I left them. Some I pulled up had some bug damage and would have been chomped if I left them. 
    Always an experiment. Good times.
    Oooohhhhh. Left beets and turnips in water in my cooler in the hot sun. Took the lot to the compost. Worm/maggot food. Ripe and stinky!
    Beet that!
    Hahaha
    Spunkie said:
    Loujoe said:
    Yes. That cilantro has tiny flowers if you let it grow. Great for specific pollinators that need those small flowers. a host plant for ladybugs too. Might see their larva crawling all over it.
    Nature is something.
    Sorry about your plants Rob. F..k it all sometimes!  ❤️ 
    Sweet
     Will be hard not to eat them all. Thx for sharing your green thumb tips!
    They flowered! Can I eat them?
    Nice! Yes .   I'd eat the greens and leave the flowers. You could probably eat them too. I don't eat mine. Look out for cute baby bugs before you eat it. Maybe soak in a bowl of water, inspect and release the bugs back to the garden. Like a science experiment. Enjoy.
    edited July 8
    Planted my own flowers this summer out front rather than buying. I did a bee attractant/food variety blend. My sister gave me some flowers for the backyard but I can see they can't survive the Okanagan sun like the pink ones I usually get. 

Oh and I killed the aloe vera I got from mother's day when I repotted the growing flower. I definitely have room to grow in this area!
    Post edited by Spunkie on
    Spunkie said:
    Planted my own flowers this summer out front rather than buying. I did a bee attractant/food variety blend. My sister gave me some flowers for the backyard but I can see they can't survive the Okanagan sun like the pink ones I usually get. 

Oh and I killed the aloe vera I got from mother's day when I repotted the growing flower. I definitely have room to grow in this area!
    Aloe is pretty tolerant.  Something might be up w your soil?
    My aloe died as well . Maybe in pots ain't the way then
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Loujoe said:

Beets?
    Yes!  Make every year.

About 24 beets. Boil maybe an hour.
    Run under water. Skin slides off.
    2 cups sugar
    2 cinnamon sticks 
    1 Tblspn whole allspice
    1 1/2 tspn salt
    3 1/2 cups vinegar (I use white)
    1 1/2 cups water

I store so boil jars.
    Put cooked skinned beets in jar.
    I also add fresh ginger

Simmer other stuff for 15 min
    Take out cinnamon Stix
    Pour over beets. 
    Lid and boil 30 mins

I took my time. Cool way to enjoy them.

Definitely work, but always happy after I do it. Also learned to do it outside. Otherwise house gets hot and smells like a pickle factory!

I also like roasting them.

You get harvest your beets tempo?

Here are some beets. I also sautéed the greens. Tasted amazing. 
    I steamed my beets to eat fresh. I’d like to can them rather than pickle. 
    Those are 17” cukes. 
    Also wanting to plant a second round of beets and see if I can get them bigger. 
    Very nice.
    Yes. Beets are funny. Sometimes if I leave in too long they get insect damage.. one year they were a lot bigger.  
    Harvested all my garden. Just planted green beans, soy beans, baby corn (for fun), and have a blank row I might do more beets.
    Was reading to not plant them til later in August. They are not the best a quality grown in heat. 
    A l ways a fun experiment.
    My bud turned me on to cucumber sandwiches. Been eating them too.

Your stuff looks great. 

Stuck a row of golden beet seeds in. Will see. Nothing else germinating yet. Only been a few days

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Awesome. Those sweet pea flowers smell the best. I never get mine to grow that full. Literally picking like 3 flowers.
    It's my favourite scent 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07