Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Yup.  It’s been obvious for a while now.  He is bankrupting the country.

That program was just another waste of money...

Volunteering means just that ... you give up your free time for no compensation.

this country gets dumber by the day...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Volunteering means just that ... you give up your free time for no compensation.

I agree, your comment being further evidence of it.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821

It's not like the practice of getting a stipend for community work is a new idea. I was involved with something myself as a teen. I'd go so far as to say it's a pretty well established practice to allow for young people to get experience while also helping out in the community.

You may be unfamiliar with the idea that many students depend on summer employment income to get them through their school year. With the pandemic having removed jobs in most of the industries that primarily employ students - tourism, hospitality, summer camps just to name a few - there are limited job opportunities left. Paying students to work in the areas that really do need people but can't afford to pay them is actually a win-win situation. I'm guessing that if this didn't have Trudeau or the Liberals attached to it, you'd be in favour of it. 

As for the WE situation, it's a shame that Trudeau didn't recuse himself from the discussion because it would have been a slam dunk without this complication. What the program needed was a national charity with experience working with youth in community service (as opposed to, say, sports or recreation) that is available coast to coast with a robust administrative structure, and WE is the only one I'm aware of that fits the bill. Now the program is left without any charity to administer it and it will at the least be delayed if it runs at all. I personally think this is much more an incident of appearance of conflict without any actual conflict, since there's no evidence that any money has ever flowed to Trudeau or his family from WE and since the program was not recommended by Trudeau, but the process has got to go through now. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Just to be clear, I was commenting on Trudeau’s inability to avoid (even the appearance of) conflicts of interest, not the program itself.

As to the program, I couldn’t understand why the government itself couldn’t administer the program, the only reason I can see for involving WE is that they would align with Trudeau’s personal beliefs, much like the jobs program from a couple years ago when certain ideologies would be denied funding unless they signed a waiver that they wouldn’t act on their beliefs (which subsequently denied funding for summer camps and the like). I’m constantly amazed at how close-minded the “Liberals” under Trudeau have become (see his first act as leader denying any candidate the right to stand against abortion).

As a followup to one of my previous posts, I have to admit I only lasted a bit over a week before I forgot to send messages to Trudeau about opening Parliament and got discouraged by the lack of acknowledgement of my messages (or any of the messages I had previously sent). Given the response I received from my local MP I feel I was heard and don’t feel a need to harass him any further.

Just to be clear, I was commenting on Trudeau’s inability to avoid (even the appearance of) conflicts of interest, not the program itself.

As to the program, I couldn’t understand why the government itself couldn’t administer the program, the only reason I can see for involving WE is that they would align with Trudeau’s personal beliefs, much like the jobs program from a couple years ago when certain ideologies would be denied funding unless they signed a waiver that they wouldn’t act on their beliefs (which subsequently denied funding for summer camps and the like). I’m constantly amazed at how close-minded the “Liberals” under Trudeau have become (see his first act as leader denying any candidate the right to stand against abortion).

As a followup to one of my previous posts, I have to admit I only lasted a bit over a week before I forgot to send messages to Trudeau about opening Parliament and got discouraged by the lack of acknowledgement of my messages (or any of the messages I had previously sent). Given the response I received from my local MP I feel I was heard and don’t feel a need to harass him any further.

The federal government has already had to gear up to administer a number of new programs over the last few months, and in general has done so pretty well, getting funds to Canadians quickly. There is surely a limit to how many new initiatives can be staffed and run in a matter of days or weeks. WE already has links to all sorts of community and service organizations, which the feds do not have.

If you don't have kids then I'll understand that you might not know much about WE. If you do have kids that have gone through the school system, you'll know just how involved WE is with youth service right across the nation. 

The federal government has already had to gear up to administer a number of new programs over the last few months, and in general has done so pretty well, getting funds to Canadians quickly. There is surely a limit to how many new initiatives can be staffed and run in a matter of days or weeks. WE already has links to all sorts of community and service organizations, which the feds do not have.

If you don't have kids then I'll understand that you might not know much about WE. If you do have kids that have gone through the school system, you'll know just how involved WE is with youth service right across the nation. 
    True, I don’t have kids of my own, but I’ve been aware of WE for some time now, and attended one of their rallies on Parliament Hill July 2, 2017 (I remember because instead of booing Trudeau, I simply stood quietly and didn’t applaud him. Days later the story of Omar Khadr’s payment broke, which would have had me booing on the 2nd if it hadn’t been kept secret). I honestly felt I was being indoctrinated over the several hours we were there (I was there with my sister and her kids, so please don’t think I was there as a creep, lol).

I think the Salvation Army might have been in a good position to administer the program, as they are a national organization with a good track record, and I’m sure there are other options, and no reason there couldn’t have been multiple providers (charities) to administer the program.

I maybe should have posted this here as well yesterday, it’s extremely rare I wake up to find myself in agreement with Margaret Atwood, lol. I do appreciate that the onus to open ears and minds is placed on both sides, not just the much-maligned right.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/writers-free-speech-1.5641645

edited July 2020

True, I don’t have kids of my own, but I’ve been aware of WE for some time now, and attended one of their rallies on Parliament Hill July 2, 2017 (I remember because instead of booing Trudeau, I simply stood quietly and didn’t applaud him. Days later the story of Omar Khadr’s payment broke, which would have had me booing on the 2nd if it hadn’t been kept secret). I honestly felt I was being indoctrinated over the several hours we were there (I was there with my sister and her kids, so please don’t think I was there as a creep, lol).

I think the Salvation Army might have been in a good position to administer the program, as they are a national organization with a good track record, and I’m sure there are other options, and no reason there couldn’t have been multiple providers (charities) to administer the program.

Salvation Army doesn't primarily work with youth, and they are also still primarily a religious (Christian) organization, which would lead to all sorts of other issues if they were chosen to head a national program. 

Edit: Plus it's complex enough to develop a program run by a single organization in short order - having it "run" by multiple organizations is a recipe for disaster.

Salvation Army doesn't primarily work with youth, and they are also still primarily a religious (Christian) organization, which would lead to all sorts of other issues if they were chosen to head a national program. 

Edit: Plus it's complex enough to develop a program run by a single organization in short order - having it "run" by multiple organizations is a recipe for disaster.
    I think what we’re starting to get at is there would be issues regardless who was chosen to administer the program. SA is Christian in their beliefs, but they’ve never struck me as particularly evangelical, a tag I would apply to WE, just with somewhat different beliefs.

And you’re absolutely right, the government has had a monumental task rolling out all these programs in short order, and the government does deserve some credit for that.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    erebus said:
    I think the Libs should have a new leader heading into the next election.  Too many fumbles by this guy.
    Not too familiar with the up and comers in the party.

Since the Cons and Greens will have new leaders, NDP is relatively new and the possible addition of the Wexit party, now would be the time to do it in my opinion.

He may be the best of the current leaders, but may not be with the newcomers in a sure to be close election 
    as of today, no chance. trudeau is hated universally in alberta and generally by conservatives, but scheer is an absolute moron and singh isn't helping himself or his party right now. 

trudeau's handling of the pandemic is what's on most people's minds right now, and for him that's a good thing. generally favourable from where i sit. that might change if that is over before the next election is called. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

So much for "only Sophie's travel expenses were reimbursed".  I'm actually surprised to see the CBC reporting on this, are they finally starting to do their jobs instead of being the Liberals' mouthpiece?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/margaret-justin-trudeau-we-charity-1.5643586

So much for "only Sophie's travel expenses were reimbursed".  I'm actually surprised to see the CBC reporting on this, are they finally starting to do their jobs instead of being the Liberals' mouthpiece?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/margaret-justin-trudeau-we-charity-1.5643586

Ah, interesting.

I disagree that the CBC doesn't report on stories contrary to the Liberals. 
    edited July 2020
    Taken from a column in the Sun about the WE fiasco, so I'll spare everyone the opinion and go straight to some relevant facts:

Other contracts and grants for WE Charity handed out by the Trudeau government:

— Canadian Heritage, $1 million, Feb. 28, 2017

— Canadian Heritage, $180,000, April 20, 2017

— Employment and Social Development Canada, $887,155, July 3, 2018

— Environment and Climate Change Canada, $25,000, Sept. 19, 2018

— Canadian Heritage, $25,000, April 1, 2019

— Canadian Heritage, $80,000, April 1, 2019

— Employment and Social Development Canada, $3 million, Sept. 3, 2019

— Total: $5,172,155

*Added by the poster, this doesn't include any monies paid out under previous governments, so the actual total is likely to be doubled if not more (ok, that's an opinion, lol).*

Edit:  This episode proves why Parliament should be brought back.  Here in Ontario the Legislature's continued to sit (with reduced, proportional numbers) pretty much throughout the pandemic and continues to sit through the summer.  The Liberals need a very strong reminder they are a minority government at this point.

Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

From the CBC's most recent version of the article:  "In a response to an inquiry from CBC News, WE Charity has provided details of the speaking fees paid to both individuals for their participation at events between 2016 and 2020."

So the family wasn't getting paid for appearances until after Justin became PM?  That begs LOTS of explanation!!!

And to be fair to the Trudeaus, it was WE that made the initial claim that no family members were paid.

Disgusting how the Prime Minister's Office is spinning this as all about the kids.  I'm starting to wonder about a 50 year-old man who is so passionate about youth, perhaps there's fire to all the smoke about his previous indiscretions that we're not allowed to hear about because of payments and non-disclosure agreements (and an anecdote that was told to me at thirdhand).

Sorry Trudeau lovers, but he's looking more and more Trumpian every day.

From the CBC's most recent version of the article:  "In a response to an inquiry from CBC News, WE Charity has provided details of the speaking fees paid to both individuals for their participation at events between 2016 and 2020."

So the family wasn't getting paid for appearances until after Justin became PM?  That begs LOTS of explanation!!!

And to be fair to the Trudeaus, it was WE that made the initial claim that no family members were paid.

Disgusting how the Prime Minister's Office is spinning this as all about the kids.  I'm starting to wonder about a 50 year-old man who is so passionate about youth, perhaps there's fire to all the smoke about his previous indiscretions that we're not allowed to hear about because of payments and non-disclosure agreements (and an anecdote that was told to me at thirdhand).

I have heard zero about this. If you have no evidence of this these accusations then they are beyond the pale.

Not a Trudeau lover, haven't even voted for him.
    “So, in 2014, this writer was told there were affidavits detailing inappropriate conduct between Trudeau and various young people. I simply did not believe it, but I raised the allegation directly with Trudeau’s most-senior adviser.

To my surprise, he acknowledged the allegations had been made in affidavits, but said that Trudeau’s insular inner circle were not worried. They had rebutting affidavits of their own to respond.

Subsequently, a female parliamentarian sent me an editorial written by a B.C. reporter in which she alleged that Trudeau had groped her, quote unquote, at a beer festival. While Trudeau said he did not act inappropriately, he apologized, saying “people can experience interactions differently.”“

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/kinsella-rumours-the-truth-and-trudeau

Unfortunately it seems I was among those duped by the Buffalo Chronicle article but he has changed his story (a running theme for him) multiple times over why he left his teaching job out west. Snopes has decided the claims are unproven but give a good summary of the allegations.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trudeau-sex-scandal-school/

Now I’ll share the anecdote even though it wasn’t bolded, none of the parties involved have any reason to lie about this. My uncle’s friend told him about a date her daughter went on with Trudeau. Apparently he was a perfect, charming gentleman...until it was clear he wasn’t getting any play on the date, at which point he became a total jerk. I believe the story because it fits with everything I’ve observed about the guy.

Regardless of the accuracy of any rumours about him he has proven himself unfit to hold the office of Prime Minister. Harper brought in the ethics standards, but Trudeau was the first found guilty under the act. Twice. Working on a third violation. Harper’s mistake was not putting enough power in the ethics commissioner’s hands.

Trudeau has already been found guilty twice by the ethics commissioner...this will be number 3.

it takes a special kind of stupid family to take money from a children’s charity.

yet somehow Singh and Sheer are the problem...

What a great example the PM leads for his sheeple.
    Give Peas A Chance…

who here is a trudeau lover? like seriously, give us a bit more credit than that. i currently like the job the guy is doing overall, but he's made some missteps for sure. i don't base my vote on anything except performance. i couldn't give two shits about party, or how good looking or not someone is. come on. 

i think scheer is a liar and kind of an idiot. i liked singh until he praised trump. i have voted all 4 parties in the past, and will continue to vote based on performance and platform alone. 

as for you anecdote, there's nothing illegal about being an asshole. i personally don't care about that. and that goes nowhere to prove anything untoward. if he did something inappropriate or even illegal, throw the book at him. absolutely. that goes for all creeps, regardless of party. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Ontario’s new ‘made in Ontario logo”....good.  Let’s bring manufacturing back and get the hell out of China.  Fuck China.

singh and sheer will never be PM...but yeah. they caused Trudeau to be a corrupt asshole that his sheeple worship at his feet.  After all it is the paid off media that will not do its job.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Bill Morneau has family ties to WE Charity, did not steer clear of cabinet discussion of contract

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5644839

What a fucking joke Canada’s government has become in 6 years under these idiots...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Sure, because there were never any conflict of interest issues before 6 years ago :lol:
    edited July 2020

who here is a trudeau lover? like seriously, give us a bit more credit than that. i currently like the job the guy is doing overall, but he's made some missteps for sure. i don't base my vote on anything except performance. i couldn't give two shits about party, or how good looking or not someone is. come on. 

i think scheer is a liar and kind of an idiot. i liked singh until he praised trump. i have voted all 4 parties in the past, and will continue to vote based on performance and platform alone. 

as for you anecdote, there's nothing illegal about being an asshole. i personally don't care about that. and that goes nowhere to prove anything untoward. if he did something inappropriate or even illegal, throw the book at him. absolutely. that goes for all creeps, regardless of party. 
    I’ll issue a blanket apology to everyone for my generalization. The worst part is that I’d posted in a different thread earlier in the day that I try not to generalize that way as I do consider it unfair (having been the subject of such myself). I think there’s a Pearl Jam song that has a line about that, which I’ve always agreed with.

It’s no excuse but I think my post was an indication of how disgusted I now am by the current government and I need to do better being Dragnet (“Just the facts, ma’am, just the facts).

After thinking about it overnight I think I’ll step away from posting on amt for a little bit (I expect I’ll keep lurking). I was breaking our main rule here by being a straight up asshole, and again I apologize.

All that said, I won’t be going back to edit anything as I am prepared to own my words.

Edited to slightly change my first sentence for clarity.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

I’ll issue a blanket apology to everyone for my generalization. The worst part is that I’d posted in a different thread earlier in the day that I try not to generalize that way as I do consider it unfair (having been the subject of such myself). I think there’s a Pearl Jam song that has a line about that, which I’ve always agreed with.

It’s no excuse but I think my post was an indication of how disgusted I now am by the current government and I need to do better being Dragnet (“Just the facts, ma’am, just the facts).

After thinking about it overnight I think I’ll step away from posting on amt for a little bit (I expect I’ll keep lurking). I was breaking our main rule here by being a straight up asshole, and again I apologize.

All that said, I won’t be going back to edit anything as I am prepared to own my words.

I encourage you to continue to post here. I may not always agree with you but you are honest and (mostly ;) ) truthful in what you post. Different perspectives should be encouraged.

Also, you haven't been an asshole to anyone here personally. Be an asshole to the PM if you want, that's all fair game.
    dignin said:

I encourage you to continue to post here. I may not always agree with you but you are honest and (mostly ;) ) truthful in what you post. Different perspectives should be encouraged.

Also, you haven't been an asshole to anyone here personally. Be an asshole to the PM if you want, that's all fair game.
    Thanks, I truly appreciate that and I will get back to posting, lol. As I thought about it more I’m hoping a break might help me be less stressed about the current issues. I’d take a break from the news as well except for I honestly feel it’s my duty to stay informed, having the privilege of living in a free democracy. I won’t have the local news channel on so much though, lol.

It’s been a bit since I’ve wished everyone well in dealing with the pandemic and its offshoot effects, and I want to express that as well.

So far this latest scandal doesn't seem corrupt to me, just really stupid. The liberals should know better by now. How don't they have someone whose sole job is to go through this shit to make sure it's scandal free and has no conflict of interest.
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,944
    dignin said:
    So far this latest scandal doesn't seem corrupt to me, just really stupid. The liberals should know better by now. How don't they have someone whose sole job is to go through this shit to make sure it's scandal free and has no conflict of interest.

Yah, none of the Liberals scandals have really pissed me off.   SNC Lavalin bribes a 3rd world country to get something done, our government tries to give them a pass.  Didn't really care.   This one is 900 million spent to help fund students?   The conflict of interest seems like stupidity, but I'm more interested to know if the money got to where it's supposed to go.   If the money got funnelled and paid out to a bunch of over-salaried charity exec's, then I'd be mad.   If it's a case of the PM being an idiot... I already kind of thought he was... lol.

What does it say about the other 2 parties when people have so little confidence in their leader's, they keep voting in the idiot :)
    Yeah.  The Liberals under Trudeau are not corrupt.  Make the great Trudeau king...

Give Peas A Chance…
    governors general office has been described as a “house of horrors”.  Surprise a Trudeau appointment would be equally as incompetent as himself...

the astronaut that should be Governor General is Chris Hadfield...

Give Peas A Chance…
    dignin said:

Thanks, I truly appreciate that and I will get back to posting, lol. As I thought about it more I’m hoping a break might help me be less stressed about the current issues. I’d take a break from the news as well except for I honestly feel it’s my duty to stay informed, having the privilege of living in a free democracy. I won’t have the local news channel on so much though, lol.

It’s been a bit since I’ve wished everyone well in dealing with the pandemic and its offshoot effects, and I want to express that as well.
    i echo dignin's post. you are valued here, and we all know sometimes we can get frustrated and that spills over in how we post sometimes. i've been guilty of that more times than i'd like to admit. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD