Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Monty Python lives as I watch a local Toronto news channel provide better live coverage than the national news channels of arrests beginning in Ottawa, which is set against the backdrop of the House Of Commons debating the powers on which these arrests will likely be based in a room (and virtually) hundreds(?) of metres from the arrests. Except in the end this isn’t funny, so it’s not really Python. I need another puff, lol.
    People in this country with morals and ethics know this an abuse of power by mr blackface…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Monty Python lives as I watch a local Toronto news channel provide better live coverage than the national news channels of arrests beginning in Ottawa, which is set against the backdrop of the House Of Commons debating the powers on which these arrests will likely be based in a room (and virtually) hundreds(?) of metres from the arrests. Except in the end this isn’t funny, so it’s not really Python. I need another puff, lol.
    If Trudeau comes out with an entourage of military, police and party officials and holds up a Bible upside for a photo op without muttering a word like POOTWH, then I'll be impressed.
    Not everything is about trump. You really need a therapist…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    All these laws on the books about interfering with infrastructure and yet not 1 single charge has been laid under those laws…just bullshit mischief charges…wonder why? I’d sure love to hear the Supreme Court rule on this…it’s easier for the China loving racist to bypass the democratic process… Canada is no longer a serious country…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The only violence in Canada last night was committed by left in norther bc. Meanwhile at the truckers protest they had a snowball and built a snowman…liberal elites are so soft…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,094
    Nami said:
    Nami said:
    https://youtu.be/wTBxceB9xgU
    Pretty good if I may say. 

Seems one side is required to take the high road while the other has no such expectation or desire. I love the Q and A aspect of your parliament and don’t quite understand why some consider it a waste of time? Maybe if they were debating or arguing a topic wholly unrelated to the issue?

A waste of time might be considered the house using the opening of each session for every member who so desires the opportunity to rant about anything for one minute or members of the senate to take the floor and discuss Greek history during debating like Senator Byrd of West Virginia was known to do. I wonder what is considered the most civil deliberative democratic political body in the world?
    i consider it a waste of time. it's nothing but political theatre. imagine if I could go to work and spend half my day trying to one up another department while my department sits behind me clapping and HERE HERE ing while actually doing no work. it's all just trying your best to get a sound bite on the evening news. maybe i'd put more stock in it if it weren't video recorded. 
    Yup, only started watching recently. One side asks questions, the other answer with same scripted BS.  Prob the same way when PCs were in power. 

CB, I know most don't agree, she is showing strength in her questioning.  Impressive actually.   

So, the NDPs are saying the will support JT in regards to the EMA vote, you think this destroy future support for the party? I think it will.  

Also, how much clout does the cdn civil liberties association have? Court now damn. Courts tied up for years over this.

I know you guys said it before and disagree, that discussions were pointless, but it would have a step in the right direction imo.

but why give a forum with the Prime Minister of a small minority? the vast, vast majority of the trucking industry is with the PM. if you give a forum to the highest office to something like this, you open yourself up to giving it to every group throwing a tantrum. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Convoy class action claim increased to $306M as downtown restaurateurs join lawsuit

The lawsuit also names donors who gave money through GiveSendGo, the alternate fundraising platform organizers turned to when GoFundMe shut them down.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/convoy-class-action-claim-increased-to-306m-as-downtown-restaurateurs-join-lawsuit
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,719
    This is ok with the the racist, misogynist, antisemite bully who’s hair is not that nice… Ottawa is because the liberal elites are uncomfortable…
      LOL...   when you say that in you're head with the Trump voice it's hilarious. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    If Trudeau comes out with an entourage of military, police and party officials and holds up a Bible upside for a photo op without muttering a word like POOTWH, then I'll be impressed.
    but you post about trudeau in literally every thread. this is rich. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignin said:
    he always does a great job finding the biggest dumbasses in the crowd. maybe meltdown could be the daily show's twitter correspondent. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,982
    edited February 2022
    I’ve got one. How aboots you?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Nami said:
    https://youtu.be/wTBxceB9xgU
    Pretty good if I may say. 

Seems one side is required to take the high road while the other has no such expectation or desire. I love the Q and A aspect of your parliament and don’t quite understand why some consider it a waste of time? Maybe if they were debating or arguing a topic wholly unrelated to the issue?

A waste of time might be considered the house using the opening of each session for every member who so desires the opportunity to rant about anything for one minute or members of the senate to take the floor and discuss Greek history during debating like Senator Byrd of West Virginia was known to do. I wonder what is considered the most civil deliberative democratic political body in the world?
    If you watch enough of our question periods... you'll see that it does share similarities to yours as well.  The problem with both of our systems is the lack of accountability. What should be mature debate about issues... is just arguments and talking points mixed with non-sensical answers and/or pure bullshit on all sides by all parties.  

For example our MPs get opportunities to speak or ask questions.  A back and forth about the Emergencies Act for example  will be going on between the party leaders.. and then it's someone else's opportunity to speak, and they can do the same as your congresspeople and either ask a question about something totally different or just make a generic statement. It's like watching a hockey game and all of sudden a line change happens, and a couple football players take the ice for a couple minutes. It can get confusing. When you watch Trudeau for example pivot so smoothly... you know that most of what's coming out of his mouth is practiced, generic, and premediated. It's what makes him a successful politician.. and as such, a successful asshole. UKs parliament is very similar. 

It's sad... very, very sad... however, if you're able to laugh at absurdity, it can be chillingly funny. As in.. it's comically useless. 

Come to think of it... if I had the power to enact some changes... I would actually have a referee in stripes and a penalty box. Every time someone interrupts someone else, they get a 2 minute minor etc etc. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    The only violence in Canada last night was committed by left in norther bc. Meanwhile at the truckers protest they had a snowball and built a snowman…liberal elites are so soft…
    https://www.nationalobserver.com/2022/02/02/news/rcmp-reinforcements-called-help-end-trucker-blockade-southern-alberta

toddler temper tantrum a couple weeks ago....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Imagine being such a weak spineless leader enacting the emergency act over mischief charges..

Still waiting for the racist, misogynist antisemites statement on the terrorist attack in northern bc..
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Trumpism is a thing as far as I'm concerned. Claiming as a means of defense that people 'always make it about Trump' is foolish.  Of course he will be the subject of comparison. He was the most polarizing and awful President in American history and he just left the office last year.

To give him credit where credit is due... he was masterful at his craft. And his craft was bullshit. The piece of shit won the white house... and then after shitting all over it for 4 years STILL got 74 million votes.

I know people love to draw comparisons between Trudeau and Hitler nowadays... a fine example of stupidity. But Trump himself was more akin to Hitler, not in his level of evilness to be extremely clear... but his use of propaganda and fear. And he had the best tool at his disposal.. a tool that Hitler did not have... social media. When people, all people, talk about the 'divides' in society... no one used that to his advantage more than Trump and no one created more division than Trump. In my old age... people will still talk about him.. the comparison isn't going anywhere. 

If we all can somewhat agree that most if not politicians suck balls... they lie, they cheat, they engage in disinformation, they hoodwink, etc... all we're left to discuss is the degree to which all of them do it.  If you tally up for example the lies that Trump told versus the lies that Biden told... when it's 10,000 to 1,000 does that matter? I believe it does. 

Sorry to go off topic... back to the freedom convoy we go :) 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,470
    dignin said:
    he always does a great job finding the biggest dumbasses in the crowd. maybe meltdown could be the daily show's twitter correspondent. 
    It's just so easy. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,811
    but you post about trudeau in literally every thread. this is rich. 
    I love the thick irony around here. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Canada approves Novovax's non-mRNA covid vaccine, with first shipments expected in March although supply has been an issue for this company. 

I know that at least one poster on here has been wanting non-mRNA options available. Realistically, I don't know how many people have refused available vaccines but would accept this one; probably not that many at this point but at least it's an option.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/canada-approves-novavaxs-covid-19-vaccine-2022-02-17/

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    as brian mentioned, from the "letter from an american" thread:

February 16, 2022 (Wednesday)

Today, the Washington Post ran a story by Claire Parker explaining that most Canadian truckers oppose the so-called “Freedom Convoy” protests. Almost all Canadian truckers are vaccinated and resent the protesters, whose shutdown of international borders has “had a very significant negative impact upon our professional driving community,” according to Stephen Laskowski, the president of the Canadian Trucking Alliance.

Prominent leaders of the convoys, including conspiracy theorist James Bauder, are not truckers themselves. Instead, right-wing agitators appear to be the ones behind the Trump and Confederate flags at the protests. More than 55% of the donations to the Christian fundraising website GiveSendGo for the protesters came from the United States.

Truckers’ organizations say the protests undermine the real concerns of truck drivers—wage theft, bad roads, and a lack of bathrooms—and worry that the convoys will hurt the public image of truckers.

Parker’s Washington Post story showing the Freedom Convoys as the expression of a radical fringe was an important reality check to the breathless stories from the American right hailing the Freedom Convoys as a popular movement.

The story that former secretary of state Hillary Clinton allegedly spied on then-candidate Trump’s campaign in 2016 illustrates the importance of the sort of reality-based corrective the Washington Post published about the Canadian truckers.....
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
  • Options
    Using hacked info obtained from the CBC to enact the EA simply makes Canada a banana republic…lmfao.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,492
    edited February 2022
    Canada approves Novovax's non-mRNA covid vaccine, with first shipments expected in March although supply has been an issue for this company. 

I know that at least one poster on here has been wanting non-mRNA options available. Realistically, I don't know how many people have refused available vaccines but would accept this one; probably not that many at this point but at least it's an option.

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/canada-approves-novavaxs-covid-19-vaccine-2022-02-17/

This was good news to me yesterday, though I hope (mainly provincial) governments don’t make accessing the shot overly arduous.

Thanks again for sharing some good information that has helped ease at least some of my own anxieties around this.

Edit to add thanks to everyone that’s shared information around vaccines (whether or not we agree).
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

Convoy leader arrested as police and protesters clash at downtown Ottawa occupation

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/police-action-convoy-protest-1.6356444

Finally. 
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    calling liberals elites, soft, and snowflakes, ethically bankrupt, and weak, and you have people using children as human shields. even trump supporters didn't do shit like that. scum. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    calling liberal elites soft and snowflakes and weak, and you have people using children as human shields. even trump supporters didn't do shit like that. scum. 
    It's not surprising... and its completely shameful. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Parksy said:
    calling liberal elites soft and snowflakes and weak, and you have people using children as human shields. even trump supporters didn't do shit like that. scum. 
    It's not surprising... and its completely shameful. 
    so is this where we tell all of these trucker supporters "if you support the truckers, you support using children as human shields". is that how this works?

#cowherds
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,992
    Any video on this? Thanks
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    don't know. you are assuming the Ottawa Police Department are liars here?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com