***What's growing? The official garden thread***

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,689
    deadendp said:
    The rabbits are eating everything. They are eating things I have never had an issue with before. I have gone the Irish Spring route. The neighbors have used blood meal. They are having the same problem. 

They have eaten rudbeckia, cosmos, cilantro, dill, daisies, beans, corn, morning glories, marigolds, sunflowers, butterfly weed, painter's palette and asters. Any other ideas? We have discussed stringing out bird-x netting. I crunched up egg shells to see if that helps at all. Probably not. Gives the neighbors something to talk about though. Compost doesn't hurt, either.

This is bun. Tries to act all innocent but no... :angry:

The neighbors have taken their new-to-them camper out on its maiden voyage, so it gave me an opportunity to weed that entire bed without complaint that I had to set foot on their property to do it. (The plants have gotten big, and my legs aren't that long to be able to step over everything.) 

The items the buns have left alone...

The colorful echinacea makes me think of the lovely @oftenreading , since she sent me some seeds a few years ago. The echinacea keeps going. :smile:
    Beautiful flowers. I think the bunny is adorable. But of course I don’t have a garden it is destroying. I hope you find a solution to that. I know you have been working hard on that garden. 
  • deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    The rabbits are eating everything. They are eating things I have never had an issue with before. I have gone the Irish Spring route. The neighbors have used blood meal. They are having the same problem. 

They have eaten rudbeckia, cosmos, cilantro, dill, daisies, beans, corn, morning glories, marigolds, sunflowers, butterfly weed, painter's palette and asters. Any other ideas? We have discussed stringing out bird-x netting. I crunched up egg shells to see if that helps at all. Probably not. Gives the neighbors something to talk about though. Compost doesn't hurt, either.

This is bun. Tries to act all innocent but no... :angry:

The neighbors have taken their new-to-them camper out on its maiden voyage, so it gave me an opportunity to weed that entire bed without complaint that I had to set foot on their property to do it. (The plants have gotten big, and my legs aren't that long to be able to step over everything.) 

The items the buns have left alone...

The colorful echinacea makes me think of the lovely @oftenreading , since she sent me some seeds a few years ago. The echinacea keeps going. :smile:
    Beautiful flowers. I think the bunny is adorable. But of course I don’t have a garden it is destroying. I hope you find a solution to that. I know you have been working hard on that garden. 
    Yeah. It's a bummer to try to have a lovely organic lawn where we don't discriminate on residents, but we would like them not to eat everything. 

But look at all of the echinacea ready to bloom! 

2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited June 2020
    What @MF117973 said and perhaps bun was hungry?
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
    There's no doubt there. Bun is always eating. Always. It's not just one bun. It's like a quiverfull movement of buns living throughout the neighborhood. Sweet as they are, but they and their parentals are everywhere. 
    deadendp said:
    There's no doubt there. Bun is always eating. Always. It's not just one bun. It's like a quiverfull movement of buns living throughout the neighborhood. Sweet as they are, but they and their parentals are everywhere. 
    They sure can can reproduce. My college roommate put up a poster in our bathroom that had a ton of bunnies on it and the caption said “don’t forget to take your pill” 🐰🐰🐰
  • @deadendp @MF117973 lol to both! 

Lettuce container and peanut butter jar to guard sunflowers. And look! It's weeded! (Ignore the driveway.) 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Great work
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,357
    @lastexitlondon
    Looking good! ^
    That looks awesome, Rob!
    Its rewarding to see fruit for sure thanks
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Berry season! 
    Lots of picking to do!

The pickled peas are great this year, I've eaten a quart already, and I have 2 more in the fridge with another quart picked today and ready to pickle.  Pulled first zucchini today, too!  Getting to be that good time of year.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Wow yes berries here. Amazing how in tune nature is. Where are you . Im just  north London  the  weather  must be similar
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Wow yes berries here. Amazing how in tune nature is. Where are you . Im just  north London  the  weather  must be similar
    Today I noticed a few strawberries growing :)
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Scallions and lettuce have been nice additions to our garden this year. Using those on an almost daily basis this summer. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

The nasturtium have started to bloom. Mom gave me seeds for Mother's Day. The second planting of sunflowers has been successful. They are getting big, so I had to readjust my tacky critter block. 

The beans are actually leafing again and growing thanks to the water bottle guards. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,847
    had to rip out the heirlooms...  Fungus got to them...

Might plant some still.  Late season maters but I think it's worth it.
    If you lived closer, I have tomatoes coming up everywhere.  I'd share!
  • @deadendp just got sight of my first tomato  :)

This is my strawberry plant:

@deadendp just got sight of my first tomato  :)

This is my strawberry plant:

I see it and strawberries! Awrsome!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

First harvest of zucchini coming in with the last harvest of peas.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Great quality. I must be 3 weeks behind i think 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

rgambs said:

First harvest of zucchini coming in with the last harvest of peas.
    Those zucchinis look so good. I would make ratatouille with them. It's a nice summer dish.

• @rgambs your sugar snap peas look tasty too. I hope they are crunchy. I'd probably have them raw.
  • Hi @deadendp, I just wanted to give a tomato plant update because I wouldn't have got this far without you:

Once I kept a tomato plant on the windowsill from April to September and it just produced 4 or 5 cherry tomatoes in 6 months. Now I understand why (squashed roots). Next time I'll buy one of those tomato grow bags earlier on in the season :)
    Hi @deadendp, I just wanted to give a tomato plant update because I wouldn't have got this far without you:

Once I kept a tomato plant on the windowsill from April to September and it just produced 4 or 5 cherry tomatoes in 6 months. Now I understand why (squashed roots). Next time I'll buy one of those tomato grow bags earlier on in the season :)
    It looks fantastic! So happy to see your happy plant.

I did a tomato bag once. It worked out okay. My MIL had great success with hers. Worth a try for sure! 
    edited July 2020

Crown Vetch. A weed, but we keep it because it is a butterfly host plant. 

The volunteer lily. 

Morning glories have started to bloom. 

Butterfly weed is getting there. 

The first bloom on the Rose of Sharon. Because it reseeds everywhere, my husband calls it Rose of Evil/Satan. 

Zinnia from some saved seeds passed on to me. 

Another color of nasturtium from the 25 cent variety pack mom passed on to me. 

Goosenecks. An Uncle Jimmy split pass from 20 years ago. Uncle Jimmy may no longer be with us, but the plant splits he gifted sure are! 

Volunteer Hollyhocks. 

The first Cleome/Spider Flower bloom of the season. 

The sunflower is working up a bloom. Funny enough, this one is a bird seed gift from winter feeding. 
    In bloom
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

Deadendp, the flowers are beautiful. Can’t wait to see the sunflower when it blooms. I saw a beautiful sunflower in Santa Fe a few years ago. So perfect, it almost looked fake.