Options

***What's growing? The official garden thread***

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    Banner year for weeds.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,963

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    Nice. We are getting cucumbers now too. Just planted spinach, turnips and snap pea seeds. Maybe a little too soon, but it's been cool out.
  • Options
    I tried gerkins this year 
     I was gonna pickle but been too ill so i ate these small. So fresh and nice
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Late season bump.

Jarred up some shisitos + thai peppers today. Spaced out some turnip seedlings and hope that my carrots germinate and grow soon. 
    If not a fat pile of shredded leaves will be dumped over them til spring. Always try for a late harvest.

Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    shisitos are wonderful, good reminder to get some!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Loujoe said:

*Insert Shrute Farms joke here. 

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    My love for beets is borderline insane. Would nicely compliment the radishes in your tacos. The greens are kind of good too.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    My love for beets is borderline insane. Would nicely compliment the radishes in your tacos. The greens are kind of good too.

That’s cool. I would definitely try beets in my tacos. I don’t have much going in the garden this year. I did 4 tomato plants in the ground and like 5 in pots(different varieties). The ones in the ground are doing great and the ones I planted in the pots aren’t. I think the potted plants are root bound or some sort of soil issue. I think I’ll still get fruit from them, though. Hard To Imagine someone could mess up tomato plants. I also planted different color marigolds that are doing great. What else you growin? How big is your garden?

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    So my tomatoes in pots were not doing well too. in ground doing great. I think the potted didn't like the dirt I bought. They did better in the past with dirt from my yard.
    Have a 10x16 I rent in community garden. There turnips, beets, carrots (early spring) still harvesting. Now tomatoes (all diff varieties), yellow stringbeans, some peppers (hot and not) dry the hot ones for soups and stuff all winter. Basil, dill.
    At home like a few tomatoes in pots. The ones that were doing bad I moved. Replaced with new plants/pots and used miracle grow soil. Those look great.  Arrugula keeps reseeding every year, spinach.  Some pumpkins in way backyard. Along house 6x20ish cucumbers, stringbeans (yellow & pole) a few hot peppers (look kinda bad) more tomatoes in ground a few potatoes that grew back from last year.

I plan to jar up a lot of it. Maybe make salsa. If it all produces I'm going to be buried in stuff. Very fortunate. And I love to garden.

A mad amount of flowers. Lots of zinnias. Mainly to support pollinators/butterflies. 

Deer are ravenous by me so everything is fenced. They got stuck in it and ripped it down the other day.   My neighbor found it across the street.

It's fun and every year reteaches me something. Mainly patience & flexibility.

Some nonsense like that.
  • Options
    I will post pics soon of my first  year at my new house . First time with a garden. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Loujoe said:
    So my tomatoes in pots were not doing well too. in ground doing great. I think the potted didn't like the dirt I bought. They did better in the past with dirt from my yard.
    Have a 10x16 I rent in community garden. There turnips, beets, carrots (early spring) still harvesting. Now tomatoes (all diff varieties), yellow stringbeans, some peppers (hot and not) dry the hot ones for soups and stuff all winter. Basil, dill.
    At home like a few tomatoes in pots. The ones that were doing bad I moved. Replaced with new plants/pots and used miracle grow soil. Those look great.  Arrugula keeps reseeding every year, spinach.  Some pumpkins in way backyard. Along house 6x20ish cucumbers, stringbeans (yellow & pole) a few hot peppers (look kinda bad) more tomatoes in ground a few potatoes that grew back from last year.

I plan to jar up a lot of it. Maybe make salsa. If it all produces I'm going to be buried in stuff. Very fortunate. And I love to garden.

A mad amount of flowers. Lots of zinnias. Mainly to support pollinators/butterflies. 

Deer are ravenous by me so everything is fenced. They got stuck in it and ripped it down the other day.   My neighbor found it across the street.

It's fun and every year reteaches me something. Mainly patience & flexibility.

Some nonsense like that.

Very nice! I think the soil problem I have is, I used a bunch of old soil that was in pots from previous years, left in a shed, and mixed that with a bunch of ground soil. I just think , maybe, the old soil was lacking in nutrients and, maybe, the plants didn’t take to it very well. I didn’t want to pay for bagged soil(I was tryna do it on the cheap). I love the perennial herbs. I have some cilantro and chives that I’ve used a few times this year. Hopefully I get a decent amount of tomato’s this year. I will most definitely be making salsa and lots of BLT’s/ LT’s. I live in a kinda rural area. So many farms/farmers markets to shop/pickup fruits/veggies from. I went to farmers market a week ago and got $20 dollars worth of lettuce ect. I made a really big salad. Ya know? In a big bowl with a bunch of stuff in it. So good!! Lasted about a week until it started gettin’ Rusty. Happy Harvesting!🙂

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2022
    Loujoe said:
    Have you ever read Jitterbug Perfume?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    its only small garden but made the most of it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    ^^ Very nice, man!  I like how everything is on the side like that. Really able to maximize the space and utilize the fence for climbing vines. I love the sunflowers. My second favorite to marigolds, which I typically plant as a little tribute to Kurt Cobain.

• Options
    Its so small but a blank canvas so i set to making planters  and growing  climbers.  The garden is really a sanctuary  isn't  it!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited July 2022
    dankind said:
    Loujoe said:
    Not yet. Just ordered it from library as I consume my beet tops.

Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2022
    Loujoe said:
    dankind said:
    Loujoe said:
    Not yet.
    Might want to put that masterpiece on top of your reading pile. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Nice garden lastexit. Great work.
  • Options
    Thank you. Put that small deck area and it made all the  difference 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Nice garden @lastexitlondon
    It looks like you're having a good summer and birthday xxx
  • Options
     I look forward to seeing follow up photos to see how much they grow.

Im growing tomatoes and noticed little baby tomatoes growing this morning.
  • Options
    These are my tomato plants hmato plants

• Options
    Remember  to feed them now they are flowering
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I ate  tender stem broccoli  i grew for dinner.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited July 2022
    Sounds nice Rob, the tendersteam broccoli. When you say feed the tomato plants, do you mean with tomato food? Do you buy that in a bottle? I usually just water the plants. The mint plant is doing well, the basil and parsley not as well, but they're in smaller pots.
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    Yes buy cheap tom feed £2wilko .
    Dilute it about  a glug per watering can. And do once a week.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07