Black Lives Matter

Comments

• Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    brianlux said:
    lol, let's be racist out of fear of racism. What the fuck?

Oregon county imposes face mask requirement targeting only white people, minorities exempt over racism fears

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/oregon-county-imposes-face-mask-requirement-targeting-only-white-people-minorities-exempt-over-racism-fear

A county in Oregon has issued an order requiring face masks to be worn in public but has exempted nonwhite people over fears of racism.

Health officials in Lincoln County, Oregon, which is inhabited by roughly 50,000 people, issued the order for any situation in which individuals might come within 6 feet of another person, but “heightened concerns about racial profiling and harassment” mean that nonwhite people aren’t required to abide by the rule, according to the New York Post.

The decision to exempt nonwhite people from wearing masks comes as some have attempted to make the case that minorities are in danger when required to wear masks.

“For many black people, deciding whether or not to wear a bandana in public to protect themselves and others from contracting coronavirus is a lose-lose situation that can result in life-threatening consequences either way,” American Civil Liberties Union Racial Justice Program Director ReNika Moore said to CNN in April. 

An article published by Stat News in early June displayed the headline: “‘Which death do they choose?’: Many Black men fear wearing a mask more than the coronavirus.”

“When the CDC issued guidelines in early March asking people to wear masks to prevent the spread of coronavirus, the question for many Black men was not where to get a mask or which kind,” the article said. “It was: How do I cover my face and not get shot?”

California, Oregon’s neighbor to the south, recently imposed a similar rule, with Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom mandating that face masks be worn in public places, which has resulted in pushback from many residents, and some officials have said they won’t enforce the rule. 

On the surface, I admit this looks like another example over over-blown attempts to be politically correct.  But then you get to the part where it says, the question for many Black men was not where to get a mask or which kind,” the article said. “It was: How do I cover my face and not get shot?”, then it makes sense assuming that means "If I'm black and I cover my mace someone may think I'm a robber and might shoot me."  I don't know how likely that is, but I'm not black so I don't know how fearful I would be wearing a mask if I were black.

Thanks for making a complex situation worse, COVID-19.  :frowning:
    That might be fair enough. I mean, it looks like that's what happened to Elijah McClain (who I posted about in the Police Abuse thread). He was wearing a mask because he lived in Colorado and had sickle-cell, and it appears the mask is what made him look "suspicious."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    brianlux said:
    lol, let's be racist out of fear of racism. What the fuck?

Oregon county imposes face mask requirement targeting only white people, minorities exempt over racism fears

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/oregon-county-imposes-face-mask-requirement-targeting-only-white-people-minorities-exempt-over-racism-fear

A county in Oregon has issued an order requiring face masks to be worn in public but has exempted nonwhite people over fears of racism.

Health officials in Lincoln County, Oregon, which is inhabited by roughly 50,000 people, issued the order for any situation in which individuals might come within 6 feet of another person, but “heightened concerns about racial profiling and harassment” mean that nonwhite people aren’t required to abide by the rule, according to the New York Post.

The decision to exempt nonwhite people from wearing masks comes as some have attempted to make the case that minorities are in danger when required to wear masks.

“For many black people, deciding whether or not to wear a bandana in public to protect themselves and others from contracting coronavirus is a lose-lose situation that can result in life-threatening consequences either way,” American Civil Liberties Union Racial Justice Program Director ReNika Moore said to CNN in April. 

An article published by Stat News in early June displayed the headline: “‘Which death do they choose?’: Many Black men fear wearing a mask more than the coronavirus.”

“When the CDC issued guidelines in early March asking people to wear masks to prevent the spread of coronavirus, the question for many Black men was not where to get a mask or which kind,” the article said. “It was: How do I cover my face and not get shot?”

California, Oregon’s neighbor to the south, recently imposed a similar rule, with Democratic Gov. Gavin Newsom mandating that face masks be worn in public places, which has resulted in pushback from many residents, and some officials have said they won’t enforce the rule. 

On the surface, I admit this looks like another example over over-blown attempts to be politically correct.  But then you get to the part where it says, the question for many Black men was not where to get a mask or which kind,” the article said. “It was: How do I cover my face and not get shot?”, then it makes sense assuming that means "If I'm black and I cover my mace someone may think I'm a robber and might shoot me."  I don't know how likely that is, but I'm not black so I don't know how fearful I would be wearing a mask if I were black.

Thanks for making a complex situation worse, COVID-19.  :frowning:
    That might be fair enough. I mean, it looks like that's what happened to Elijah McClain (who I posted about in the Police Abuse thread). He was wearing a mask because he lived in Colorado and had sickle-cell, and it appears the mask is what made him look "suspicious."

A few weeks ago, we went to Raleys to pick up our on-line grocery order.  I had a cap on, sun glasses, and a mask.  I caught my reflection in the window and thought, "Holy shit!  I look like a bank robber!"  So I can see why if I were black that might be a concern. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    It might be a good opportunity for some not to associate masks with violence, but as a means that helps keep people alive.

Going by someone's actions (whether the person is masked or not) is good practice too.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    This is what he should've said yesterday rather than going on Don Lemon and continuing to play the victim. Better late than never I guess....

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    This is what he should've said yesterday rather than going on Don Lemon and continuing to play the victim. Better late than never I guess....

I think in these times, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If they don't say anything and it leaks out that a hate crime possibly occurred; it's a cover-up, but if they report on it right away and it later turns out to be a misunderstanding, it's sensationalizing the issue before confirmation. Burned either way by one side.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    tbergs said:

I think in these times, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If they don't say anything and it leaks out that a hate crime possibly occurred; it's a cover-up, but if they report on it right away and it later turns out to be a misunderstanding, it's sensationalizing the issue before confirmation. Burned either way by one side.
    I'll take the latter on this one.

Something I refrained from posting but will now is because no one else has.

Did you all know that a crop duster was seen buzzing over the racetrack flying a confederate flag on Sunday before the race?

If that isn't sending a message I don't know what is.  Interesting no one reported this on here
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    You knew some of the hee-haws were going to come out with their flag love

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    You knew some of the hee-haws were going to come out with their flag love

Of course but I am surprised that wasn't a bigger story.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    tbergs said:

I'll take the latter on this one.

Something I refrained from posting but will now is because no one else has.

Did you all know that a crop duster was seen buzzing over the racetrack flying a confederate flag on Sunday before the race?

If that isn't sending a message I don't know what is.  Interesting no one reported this on here
    I did see that, but didn't think it deserved the attention they were seeking. Evolution will serve its purpose for people like that.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    I don’t mind some egg on my face for taking the noose story at face value. This isn’t the best comparison but I try to treat these stories as we’ve learned to treat victims of assault (especially sexual): trust but verify. In this case verification happened and showed no malice (allocation of resources could be a separate point of discussion).

There was an editorial in a local paper that likened the nascar incident to the boy who cried wolf, unfortunately.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,624
    I don’t mind some egg on my face for taking the noose story at face value. This isn’t the best comparison but I try to treat these stories as we’ve learned to treat victims of assault (especially sexual): trust but verify. In this case verification happened and showed no malice (allocation of resources could be a separate point of discussion).

There was an editorial in a local paper that likened the nascar incident to the boy who cried wolf, unfortunately.
    Of course that is going to happen. Bomani Jones says it much better than I ever could about the whole subject matter. 

https://youtu.be/0ZpAfh5EUww
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    PJNB said:

Of course that is going to happen. Bomani Jones says it much better than I ever could about the whole subject matter. 

https://youtu.be/0ZpAfh5EUww
    That was an interesting listen, thanks. The host did raise a valid point about nascar’s initial statement being so strongly worded, and any other time I’d agree more, but in the current environment their choices were extremely limited.

I may get in trouble for saying Canada’s closer to the tribalism the host talks about rising above (certainly I’ve always thought there are good and bad people of every colour, as B-Real raps “Unless ya come flexin’ a trigger I dig ya”). That said, I still believe the U.S. as an ideal is something worth striving for regardless of how much work remains.

Thanks again to this thread for helping me learn.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    Will Cain is a person to me, that always tiptoes around what is acceptable, plays the heel.  

I personally can't stand him.

I normally don't care for Bohmani as a sports reporter but on this he was fantastic.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Another noose found hanging from Toronto construction site, police investigating as a hate crime

Give Peas A Chance…

Another noose found hanging from Toronto construction site, police investigating as a hate crime

It will become "a thing".  Like monkeys fornicating.  They see one do it, they all think they have to do it.  Only monkeys are smarter than idiots planting hangman's nooses. 

I know a bit about this shit.  Look at the dip-shit thing we have where I live:

Dummy hanging from noose is back up in Placerville, amid petition to end ‘Old Hangtown’ name

true

Talk about some bullshit! 

But a lot of us are speaking out against it!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:

It will become "a thing".  Like monkeys fornicating.  They see one do it, they all think they have to do it.  Only monkeys are smarter than idiots planting hangman's nooses. 

Dummy hanging from noose is back up in Placerville, amid petition to end ‘Old Hangtown’ name

true

While morbid (in my opinion), does this one have anything to do with racism?  Lots of people were hung back in the day, “death penalty” wise.  Even the dummy in this one is white.  Again, fucked up, but not racist unless I’m missing something more to the story of this place.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    White supremacists are soooooo intellectually superior.....

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499

Lol, dumbasses
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476

Still wearing Tough Skins under the robe.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956

My wife will tell you it’s hard to find good jeans.
    Watch this and pass it on....

https://youtu.be/xwBjF_VVFvE
    OK so the repubs are throwing around that BLM leaders want everything burned to the ground/usurp the current structure.

I googled and could only find the NYC leader that said they would "burn it to the ground literally or figuratively".

Anyone else find an article/video with these claims?
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

true

While morbid (in my opinion), does this one have anything to do with racism?  Lots of people were hung back in the day, “death penalty” wise.  Even the dummy in this one is white.  Again, fucked up, but not racist unless I’m missing something more to the story of this place.

It's not directly racist but if I were a black person visiting this town, I would probably never return.  So in a sense, there are racial implications.  Plus, I have little doubt that some or several of the people who support the continuation of this display and the misleading nickname for our town, "Hangtown" are racist or at least have little concern or consideration for racial matters. 

People often assume all of California is progressive.  That is far from true.  We have some very conservative to ultra conservative counties in this state (I believe it is 22 counties that are predominately Republican).

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited June 2020
    Mississippi just voted to take out the confederate flag in their state flag.  Maybe things are changing.  (Fingers crossed)
    https://apple.news/A2v7VbrFdT7KNpMz5dasPyA
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

true

It's not directly racist but if I were a black person visiting this town, I would probably never return.  So in a sense, there are racial implications.  Plus, I have little doubt that some or several of the people who support the continuation of this display and the misleading nickname for our town, "Hangtown" are racist or at least have little concern or consideration for racial matters. 

People often assume all of California is progressive.  That is far from true.  We have some very conservative to ultra conservative counties in this state (I believe it is 22 counties that are predominately Republican).

If this story was a few months ago I wouldn’t have linked it to race at all.  This doesn’t seem that uncommon in old-timey western/gold mine towns. Which is exactly the case here. We used to visit old cities like that all the time as a kid and you’d see fake outhouses, jails, and hanging. I’m pretty sure Knotts Berry Farm has something like that before they did away with their western themed section.

All that said, maybe not the best time to be promoting your fake hangman, but I doubt racism has anything to do with it or the people who appreciate that sort of thing. It’s about the Wild West, not about race in this case.
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited June 2020
    Why no outrage about this kind of stuff?
    https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/prosecutors-suspect-in-double-slaying-of-teens-asked-about-tall-height-prior-to-shooting/
    Two teams shot and killed the third one escaped injury but,,because they asked a guy 19 year old how tall he was and they would like to be that tall too so they can play basketball.  Went to the corner store to buy some candy and wound up deader than a hammer!  By a 6'3" deranged 19 year old.  Let's focus on the real problems people.
    Worried about flags statues?
    Uncle Ben's rice, Aunt Jemima,?
    For f*** sake!

Post edited by RYME on
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    RYME said:
    https://wgntv.com/news/chicago-news/prosecutors-suspect-in-double-slaying-of-teens-asked-about-tall-height-prior-to-shooting/
    Two teams shot and killed the third one escaped injury but,,because they asked a guy 19 year old how tall he was and they would like to be that tall too so they can play basketball.  Went to the corner store to buy some candy and wound up deader than a hammer!  By a 6'3" deranged 19 year old.  Let's focus on the real problems people.
    For f*** sake!

Individuals are accountable to the law. The law enforcement agents are responsible for enforcing the law equitably, and extending reasonable doubt and harm mitigation efforts to all. That's not happening. The justice system is supposed to give fair representation for all. That's not happening.

I'm outraged that law enforcement agents, and agents of delivering justice, have so pathetically failed, and that they provide no exemplary role model for those they attempt to keep 'within law and order'. 

If I focus my outrage on one individual, my scope of impact is highly limited. One legitimate heavy-handed incarceration won't make an oppressed population forget about the throngs of unjust incarcerations prior to it. If I focus my outrage on the system that promotes two sets of standards for two different sets of individuals, my outrage might (and only might) make a difference. 

Maybe don't tell people what 'real problems' are or what they should care about most. We've all decided for ourselves, just as you have. In any case, I've defended why I feel the 'real problems' being discussed here are actually a root cause and catalyst for these kinds of horrific events as the one you've just brought up. You're welcome to refute them - but to trivialize systemic oppression ignores centuries of revolutions catalyzed by exactly these kinds of injustices. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
    RYME said:
    For f*** sake!

There's been plenty of outrage
    Maybe not on daily caller or daily stormer or breitbart but there has been outrage.