Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    I find this more than a bit troubling but not at all surprising. I agree with much of what Lucki was saying before Blair chose to intervene. For a government that claims the rule of law and independence of law enforcement the Liberals seem quite eager to interfere. All week we’ve had government officials up to the Prime Minister making statements about cases that are still under investigation (but refuse to comment on their colleague’s arrest in April). Utterly inappropriate is what I’d call Blair’s intervention.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/public-safety-minister-broached-systemic-racism-with-rcmp-head-before-course-reversal-1.5611339
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    edited June 2020
    Edited to delete because I don’t know what I was doing or aiming for with the post. It was in poor taste and I apologize for that.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

Starting today I’ll be sending daily messages to the PM demanding Parliament be reopened, and I urge anyone of like mind join in.

I’ll understand if some are hesitant as one is required to provide their name and address. Guessing my name’s on a list for a re-education camp when those are enacted (or will they just send me back to public school at 46, lol?).

Today is likely to be the most expensive in the Canadian government’s history (and that’s no hyperbole). With a whole 4 hours given to debate (said with full sarcasm).

Guess I’ll be watching cpac today, lol.

• erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited June 2020
    is this Conservative leadership debate going to be televised tonight?
    Would like to see what these aspiring leaders have

update, looks like French debate tonight, English tomorrow. Can be live streamed, not sure if on news networks 

Post edited by erebus on
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Turns out I was too quick to criticize Trudeau about D-day and Armed Forces Day. He did go to the trouble of posting statements for each on the PM’s website, during his personal time no less.

Also sad to see Toronto’s Police Chief Mark Saunders is retiring. He’s been a good and reasonable chief over the last few years.
    You mean trudope wants to spend more money...how much was spent trying to secure that UN seat at that useless bureaucracy???  All the folks with young kids will see their kids and future generations paying for this in a reduction of services particularly health and education...we will be getting closer and closer to a US style healthcare...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Turns out I was too quick to criticize Trudeau about D-day and Armed Forces Day. He did go to the trouble of posting statements for each on the PM’s website, during his personal time no less.

Also sad to see Toronto’s Police Chief Mark Saunders is retiring. He’s been a good and reasonable chief over the last few years.
    You mean trudope wants to spend more money...how much was spent trying to secure that UN seat at that useless bureaucracy???  All the folks with young kids will see their kids and future generations paying for this in a reduction of services particularly health and education...we will be getting closer and closer to a US style healthcare...
    Well we didn’t get the seat, so there’s that. At this point though the amount spent on the bid is just a drop in the bucket compared with all the spending over the last few months (and I’m not suggesting the government shouldn’t be spending right now).

My concern is moreso that money has been given away (as foreign aid support) to governments and regimes that can’t be trusted to deliver to their citizens. Not sure (and not confident) that accountability was built in to the funding pledges.

Disappointing that Singh’s constituents won’t be represented on such an important day for our government. He made his own choice though, when he decided not to apologize.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7077587/singh-booted-commons-bloc-mp-racist/

Well we didn’t get the seat, so there’s that. At this point though the amount spent on the bid is just a drop in the bucket compared with all the spending over the last few months (and I’m not suggesting the government shouldn’t be spending right now).

My concern is moreso that money has been given away (as foreign aid support) to governments and regimes that can’t be trusted to deliver to their citizens. Not sure (and not confident) that accountability was built in to the funding pledges.
    LOL...Canada is back...LOL

I am not disappointed.  He’s pissed China and India off who likely influenced countries to vote against canada...

And let’s not forget who the real racist is in the HOC...mr. blackface
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I thought this comment from one of the articles about the failed UN bid was pretty funny (and terrifying at the same time), lol.

” Fk. Now he is going to put more time into being pm.
    God help us all.”

edited June 2020
    Calling this a hate crime is just straight up laughable, I’m sorry. This is the first time I’ve seen the sins of the child being visited on the parent. No one to blame for this but Justin himself. Anyone think he’ll accept any of the blame?

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/york-cops-investigating-after-statue-vandalized-with-black-paint

Edit: Just for clarity, I do consider this a crime (vandalism) and while I’m no fan of father or son this should be investigated and prosecuted. But I did get a good laugh out of this, I’ll admit.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    jagmeet lost me with his statement saying that trump has done more for race relations than trudeau. absolute nonsense. he's obviously just jumped the shark with his obsessive trudeau-hate. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    jagmeet lost me with his statement saying that trump has done more for race relations than trudeau. absolute nonsense. he's obviously just jumped the shark with his obsessive trudeau-hate. 
    Yes, a ridiculous statement. I have no problem at all with him saying what he did in the Commons, but this... nonsense indeed. Although I don't think Singh has obsessive Trudeau-hate. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    So are we going to get another election? :)
    edited June 2020

I think it's only costs 10s of millions to try and get that seat.  Kind of a drop in the bucket. I'm not sure why we want it.  We're a country with a small population.    We don't have the military to protect our country if something were to happen.  Nor do we have the Financial resources to do so.  We very much get to freeride on having the US military to south of us. 

In regards to health care, the biggest impact might actually be on older generations.    Boomers are about 55 to 75 right now.  So the oldest ones are just getting into that range where they have much larger health care needs.   Give it another 10 to 15 years and the bulk of the population is going to be in the health care wheel house.   No government has saved up for it.  The health care system is already stretched.  I worry about my parents because I have no idea how they're going to get care when they need it.   It was already pretty bad on my grandparents and they're the generation before the boomers.

With the money spent on paying people to stay home for Coronavirus, I don't think they're going to have much wiggle room to deal with this.

I also think it's why the Harper government started ramping up immigration (and Liberal government expanded on it).   Trying to increase the population of younger taxpayers to keep the whole thing afloat.
    Post edited by Zod on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yes, a ridiculous statement. I have no problem at all with him saying what he did in the Commons, but this... nonsense indeed. Although I don't think Singh has obsessive Trudeau-hate. 
    he seems to criticize him at every turn, no matter what. it doesn't seem like legitimate political issues. he's just constantly searching for reasons to hate trudeau. like a lot of people in this country, it seems. 

i think he'd probably do the same with any pm. i think he's just trying to remain in the spotlight and cater to the outrage crowd. there just aren't enough people like that in canada. sure, alberta and quebec hate trudeau. they both always hate liberals. but without any clear leaders emerging from either opposition party, it's futile. i considered voting ndp in the last election because of singh. not now. he lost me with that ridiculous trump comment. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Back to give Trudeau credit, lol. I’m glad to hear him standing firm on the Meng Wangzhou extradition process. Backing down would only put Canadians abroad at risk, though I need to acknowledge that this policy will unfortunately cost lives, as we saw with the hostages in the Philippines.

We especially need to hold firm with headlines a couple days ago of the U.S. government speaking in support of us. Regardless who’s in the White House, the U.S. is a far better (and strategically important) ally than dictatorial China.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    Happy Day!
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    dignin said:
    Happy Day!

And to you!
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2020
    Just received $156 from the government in my bank account. It was totally unexpected. Just discovered it's a so-called climate action tax credit from the BC government. BCers check your accounts. :) The weird thing is, it says people are receiving double the usual... but usually I don't receive it as I earn too much. Apparently $0 doubled is $156. ??? Or.... Actually, my CRA account claims that it's a GST/HST credit. Again. Even though I usually don't receive this credit. Is this quarterly??
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    The WE charity and Trudeau have parted ways in a mutual agreement.  No doubt because of the backlash the our dipshit prime minister received.  Trudeau’s corruptness never ends.  Trudeau is a fucking fraud.

Trudeau dumps the migrants off in Essex county and has no oversight in place to see to that their living conditions are acceptable with Covid 19 present and no oversight to make sure their living conditions are acceptable to minimize contact.

its a mess in Leamington-Kingsville because these migrants will not get tested, most greenhouses are not Co-operating and encouraging their in employees tp\o get tested.

A greenhouse operation had 191 test positive and was shutdown by the health board.  The greenhouse was nature fresh and they Co-operated and encouraged their employees to get tested. 

Ford is clueless as well.  He referred to that greenhouse as a farm and the owners farmers...LOL...these are not farms and farmers...they are multi million dollar facilities.

Ford and Trudeau are frauds...

we are fucked here in Essex because of the lack of leadership from those shit heads...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    The WE charity and Trudeau have parted ways in a mutual agreement.  No doubt because of the backlash the our dipshit prime minister received.  Trudeau’s corruptness never ends.  Trudeau is a fucking fraud.

Trudeau dumps the migrants off in Essex county and has no oversight in place to see to that their living conditions are acceptable with Covid 19 present and no oversight to make sure their living conditions are acceptable to minimize contact.

its a mess in Leamington-Kingsville because these migrants will not get tested, most greenhouses are not Co-operating and encouraging their in employees tp\o get tested.

A greenhouse operation had 191 test positive and was shutdown by the health board.  The greenhouse was nature fresh and they Co-operated and encouraged their employees to get tested. 

Ford is clueless as well.  He referred to that greenhouse as a farm and the owners farmers...LOL...these are not farms and farmers...they are multi million dollar facilities.

Ford and Trudeau are frauds...

we are fucked here in Essex because of the lack of leadership from those shit heads...

Lots I could comment on in this post, but maybe I’ll just stick with wondering why you don’t consider major greenhouse operations to be farms? They farm produce, after all. Legally they are considered to be farms. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I think the Libs should have a new leader heading into the next election.  Too many fumbles by this guy.
    Not too familiar with the up and comers in the party.

Since the Cons and Greens will have new leaders, NDP is relatively new and the possible addition of the Wexit party, now would be the time to do it in my opinion.

He may be the best of the current leaders, but may not be with the newcomers in a sure to be close election 
    The ethics commissioner is investigating the racist fraud PM again...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    erebus said:
    I think the Libs should have a new leader heading into the next election.  Too many fumbles by this guy.

Since the Cons and Greens will have new leaders, NDP is relatively new and the possible addition of the Wexit party, now would be the time to do it in my opinion.

He may be the best of the current leaders, but may not be with the newcomers in a sure to be close election 
    Current polling says otherwise.
    PJ_Soul said:
    Just received $156 from the government in my bank account. It was totally unexpected. Just discovered it's a so-called climate action tax credit from the BC government. BCers check your accounts. :) The weird thing is, it says people are receiving double the usual... but usually I don't receive it as I earn too much. Apparently $0 doubled is $156. ??? Or.... Actually, my CRA account claims that it's a GST/HST credit. Again. Even though I usually don't receive this credit. Is this quarterly??
    I go that too. 

I remember when BC set up the carbon tax it was supposed to be tax neutral.   IE if they were collecting the carbon tax, they would lower taxes elsewhere (this is why our income tax rates are fairly low).  I think they gave out credits at the beginning too.  

Unfortunately, the last few increases to the carbon tax weren't tax neutral.  They didn't adjust other taxes downward to compensate for the higher carbon tax.   Maybe the credit's are the government trying to do that?

Still.  If they were giving out money, you'd think they try to get some press out of it? :)
    erebus said:

I'm not sure I agree.    The NDP has never won a federal election.   I don't think they're ever a true contender.    The NDP is more like a vote splitter that costs them seats.   The Conservatives are the other horse in the race.   I'm not sure they are cohesive enough to win.  They get broad support in Alberta/Sask.   They still have that long tail of having merged with the reform party.   The problem is that the rest of Canada doesn't seem to have the same values as the prairies (Not referring to them as the west, because BC is the west, they're in the middle).   I'm not sure they can get elected broadly by the entire country, when they keep picking leaders from that area. 

I suppose they could pick someone from elsewhere in Canada.   If that person wasn't focused on oil/energy, would the prairies be as loyal at election time?

I think Trudeau keeps getting elected, because the alternatives aren't any better.   Hopefully he gets better the more experience he has in the job.
    “I think Trudeau keeps getting elected, because the alternatives aren't any better.   Hopefully he gets better the more experience he has in the job.”

I guess everybody in general is happy with mediocrity. I dislike the argument that alternatives aren’t any better. If they are bad replace them. 150 years plus of the same old same old (Libs/Cons), maybe consider another option once in a while, not just because that has how it has always been.  

SNC, blackface, WE, sexual harassment hypocrisy , and he is still the better alternative? I’m just saying there must be someone better within the party. We should have higher standards for our leaders, not that he is the better of the worst, or looks good in the polls. He doesn’t seem to be getting better with experience 

last election I voted for who I thought was the best local candidate as I was unhappy with all the party leaders

I guess I am just a frustrated voter
    I tend to vote along what the party itself tends to do.   Voting for the local candidate is pointless.  They don't really have any power.   Maybe they get a little if they end up as a minister of something, but other than that their nothing but a vote that has to follow the party line.

I do agree we tend to vote in mediocrity.  The only PM I thought did a pretty good job in my lifetime was Cretien. 

I've often wondered if the gig itself prevents better candidates from applying.   You get paid a few hundred thousand a year, and have to go to a vote every 4 to 5 years (or more often if minority government).   You get all the blame for everything in the country.   You'd be way better off being CEO of a corporation than you would the leader of a country.

I also once heard an arugment in a poli sci class in university, where the professor discussed that the skillset needed to win an election wasn't the same skillset needed to run a country.  That's always stuck with me.

I tend to vote along what the party does.  Cons are on the right.  They like to cut taxes, don't cut enough spending, generally run deficits.  They tend to be socially conservative as well.   They have a big base in Alberta/Sasks so they are often very pro oil and pipelines.   Liberals are a populus party.   They're in the middle of the spectrum but will swing right/left if it's the popular thing to do.   Sometimes this results in them cooping good ideas from other parties (health care, balanced budget etc..).   NDP is on the left and very much tax/spend.

I tend to vote Liberal in most elections because I don't identify with most of what the Conservatives or NDP do.   I liked the current NDP leader and thought about voting them in the last election.    I took issue with all the spending.  I couldn't figure out why we would introduce Pharmacare and Dental when our health care system already has so much many issues.  Fix what we have, then see if there's money for expansion.  I really think every Canadian should have access to a GP before expanding the scope of health care.

I end up voting for the Libs most of the time because I don't identify with the other 2 options.   Even if our PM is a bit of an awkward idiot :)

“ I also once heard an arugment in a poli sci class in university, where the professor discussed that the skillset needed to win an election wasn't the same skillset needed to run a country.  That's always stuck with me”

soooo true. I agree with the rest that you said also 

I voted on the local level last time knowing that it was a throw away vote (Green) because I knew the candidate would do a good job for the riding. We have a federal minister that wasn’t going to lose, but I didn’t feel JT was worthy of my vote this time.
    so it can be a balance choosing between party and local levels. 
    I am strongly for a reformed voting system, another Lib idea coopted from the NDP and broken lol