Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    PJ_Soul said:
    Stores around me now seem pretty much back to normal in terms of stock. There was TP to be had, and the meat section were full. Plenty of pasta and canned goods. Even lots of sales. I got a stunning 5lb AAA Angus prime rib roast today for less than $30CAD!! I'm so excited to cook it!
    The only items still hard to find are hand sanitizer (not that I would buy it), and Lysol kitchen spray, which does suck, because that's my usual, and I'm almost out.
    You going to eat all 5lbs by yourself?

If so, you are my dreamgirl!!!
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    @often reading and PJHawkSoul,

Thank you for the information on Vic/Van grocery stores. I am going to lessen my panic buy online basket here in K-town where half the shelves, I have heard, are still waiting for the most awesome truck drivers!

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    I still can't find Cascade powdered dishwasher detergent, unless I order a $75 case of it on Amazon. I'm brand loyal, but I only have one wash cycle left. I'm going to have to break, one way or another.
    Would you be willing to try the dishwasher tabs? That's what I use. You may be able to find those. I do get brand loyal, though. Sam's Club brand sucks. We use the Cascade Total Clean "Actionpacs."

Tempo, I did find frozen fruit at Aldi. Don't know if you have one around. We got blueberries and strawberries, but I know they also have mango and mixed packs. 

The illusive provolone showed up in my in-laws grocery order today! 1/2 of what I added to their order wasn't filled, but no big deal. We have eggs and provolone. :triumph:
    We shop for "organic" and that can be a pain sometimes.
    Aldi sells organic items. I buy plenty of it. 
    Well hot damn, now if we only had an Aldi nearby...
    Are you in Long Beach? I think there's one in Lynhurst or Valley Stream or one of those towns with all the car dealerships not too far from Queens.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    One of my employees told me that every supermarket here is using the “20% Capacity” rule.  So he stood outside of Walmart for 45 minutes in a long line (no thanks)

So far Instacart is my new friend. 

My mom works at a Walmart in NJ and she said that people won't stay the fuck 6 ft away from her when she's cutting fabric at the desk and surrounding her instead of falling in line and waiting for their turn to be helped. Guess the next hot commodity right now is fabric and elastic. She said they put traffic flow arrows on the floor and are pretty strict with making sure people flow one direction so no one walks past each other. Also, their store is doing a 50-customer limit. 
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,418
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    I still can't find Cascade powdered dishwasher detergent, unless I order a $75 case of it on Amazon. I'm brand loyal, but I only have one wash cycle left. I'm going to have to break, one way or another.
    Would you be willing to try the dishwasher tabs? That's what I use. You may be able to find those. I do get brand loyal, though. Sam's Club brand sucks. We use the Cascade Total Clean "Actionpacs."

Tempo, I did find frozen fruit at Aldi. Don't know if you have one around. We got blueberries and strawberries, but I know they also have mango and mixed packs. 

The illusive provolone showed up in my in-laws grocery order today! 1/2 of what I added to their order wasn't filled, but no big deal. We have eggs and provolone. :triumph:
    Are you in Long Beach? I think there's one in Lynhurst or Valley Stream or one of those towns with all the car dealerships not too far from Queens.
    I used to live in Valley Stream! A town you don't hear in convos everyday.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited April 2020
    Now is a better time than ever to stop going to Walmart!  Stop shopping big box!
    It was a questionable choice in normal times, it's downright idiotic right now. 
    The biggest box stores are filled with the biggest morons, avoid them.  Spend the few extra dollars, buy what's on sale, and protect yourself.
    Avoid trendy shops like Target, Costco, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's as well, they are almost as bad.

There's an independent or small grocer somewhere near you, go there.  
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,841
    This is a bit off topic from grocery stores - but still serious for those of us who live in a City - laundromats. I live in a building that doesn't have a laundry room so I depend on laundromats. My regular one closed several weeks ago. I found another one that was close and did their drop off service last week. They did a great job. However, now they have a sign on their door that they will be closed for the next three weeks. There are a few others I can go to fairly nearby - will have to call and see if any of them are still open. If none of them are open - that will be a problem. Since I am not seeing anybody anyway, I can start wearing my bottom of the drawer t-shirts if need be. But I am going either have to hand wash my underwear or start buying new ones within the next 10 days. My friend joked that I should buy a washboard and when this is all over I can use it as a musical instrument. But seriously - are any of you dealing with this issue.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    MF117973 said:
    This is a bit off topic from grocery stores - but still serious for those of us who live in a City - laundromats. I live in a building that doesn't have a laundry room so I depend on laundromats. My regular one closed several weeks ago. I found another one that was close and did their drop off service last week. They did a great job. However, now they have a sign on their door that they will be closed for the next three weeks. There are a few others I can go to fairly nearby - will have to call and see if any of them are still open. If none of them are open - that will be a problem. Since I am not seeing anybody anyway, I can start wearing my bottom of the drawer t-shirts if need be. But I am going either have to hand wash my underwear or start buying new ones within the next 10 days. My friend joked that I should buy a washboard and when this is all over I can use it as a musical instrument. But seriously - are any of you dealing with this issue.
    There is a camping bucket and almost like a plunger thing that you can wash laundry with and hang to dry. I'll look and see if I can find a link to pass on. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

There is.  I ain't traveling that far for groceries...
  • Options
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:

I used to live in Valley Stream! A town you don't hear in convos everyday.
    Used to ride our bikes to green acres mall from oceanside!
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:
    There is a camping bucket and almost like a plunger thing that you can wash laundry with and hang to dry. I'll look and see if I can find a link to pass on. 
    Thanks. Then I can hang a drying rope on my fire escape old school style. Hmmm - I will now have to order clothes pins as well :)  I have about 5 other laundromats I can call. I'll keep you posted.

• Options
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:
    I just looked it up and boy howdy is it expensive. I would honestly just scrub in a bucket, rinse well and hang to dry.

We had a cross country camping/hotel trip scheduled for a few weeks this summer. (Go figure, our final destination was Seattle. Postponed until next summer.) This was what I was going to do for the three of us. It will work. Not as easy as the laundromat though. 

And...I'm sorry that you have to do this. 
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:
    Thanks. Then I can hang a drying rope on my fire escape old school style. Hmmm - I will now have to order clothes pins as well :)  I have about 5 other laundromats I can call. I'll keep you posted.

Do you have office binder clips? Chip clips? 

If I am to give clothes pin advice, try to find the plastic with the rubber tipped ends, they last a lot longer than the wood pins. (I line dry clothes 3 seasons a year.) I think I found those at Target. 99% of the pins I have are the spring loaded wood. Don't get the wood pins without the spring. Not well made anymore and they snap. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,192
    can someone please explain to me while couples insist on shopping together?  Went yesterday and saw multiple people there will their significant others.  How dumb is that? You are putting both at risk and clogging up needed space.  Stop people
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    pjhawks said:
    can someone please explain to me while couples insist on shopping together?  Went yesterday and saw multiple people there will their significant others.  How dumb is that? You are putting both at risk and clogging up needed space.  Stop people
    Unfortunately this has a pretty simple answer - most people are morons 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,380
    pjhawks said:
    Possibly because they both want to get out of the house. My wife & I have been taking turns. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    PJ_Soul said:
    Stores around me now seem pretty much back to normal in terms of stock. There was TP to be had, and the meat section were full. Plenty of pasta and canned goods. Even lots of sales. I got a stunning 5lb AAA Angus prime rib roast today for less than $30CAD!! I'm so excited to cook it!
    The only items still hard to find are hand sanitizer (not that I would buy it), and Lysol kitchen spray, which does suck, because that's my usual, and I'm almost out.
    You going to eat all 5lbs by yourself?

If so, you are my dreamgirl!!!
    HaHa, yup! Not all at once though, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:
    I just looked it up and boy howdy is it expensive. I would honestly just scrub in a bucket, rinse well and hang to dry.

We had a cross country camping/hotel trip scheduled for a few weeks this summer. (Go figure, our final destination was Seattle. Postponed until next summer.) This was what I was going to do for the three of us. It will work. Not as easy as the laundromat though. 

And...I'm sorry that you have to do this. 
    Thanks for checking. I am still hoping to find an open laundromat within walking distance. But nice to have the backup information.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,686
    rgambs said:
    Now is a better time than ever to stop going to Walmart!  Stop shopping big box!
    It was a questionable choice in normal times, it's downright idiotic right now. 
    The biggest box stores are filled with the biggest morons, avoid them.  Spend the few extra dollars, buy what's on sale, and protect yourself.
    Avoid trendy shops like Target, Costco, Whole Foods and Trader Joe's as well, they are almost as bad.

There's an independent or small grocer somewhere near you, go there.  

So true!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Quick question ... I'm looking into online delivery of groceries.  What is customary in terms of tipping the delivery person? And, how does it work these days of social distancing and nobody wanting to touch cash money?
    Thanks.
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    Quick question ... I'm looking into online delivery of groceries.  What is customary in terms of tipping the delivery person? And, how does it work these days of social distancing and nobody wanting to touch cash money?
    Thanks.
    The grocery store delivery services I have used lets you include the tip when you pay with your card. They often will add the tip based on a certain percentage, and you can change the amount. I always give a bit more than those suggested tips. They certainly deserve it.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Thanks.
    Instacart has a built in tip portion. No money changing hands. Easy peasy. Just add it on in, either a percentage or dollar amount.

Keep in mind that if you go by percentage, many times what they can fill isn't the amount ordered. I chose to go by a dollar amount so as not to take money from the shopper. I figure that they are still running around looking for things that might not be in the shelves. It's not their fault if it isn't there. 

Grocery stores seem different. For that, I will leave cash in a sandwich bag for them. 

I've read not to tip your delivery person less than $10. 

This morning I read that people are listing a generous tip on Instacart to get their grocery order picked, then they delete the tip later. That sucks and karma...she can be a heartless bitch. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/09/tech/instacart-shoppers-tip-baiting/index.html
    Post edited by deadendp on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I think 5% is standard, depending on the overall order size I usually add to that.
    They get a rate to pick the stuff as well, not sure what that is.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Thanks.
    Instacart has a built in tip portion. No money changing hands. Easy peasy. Just add it on in, either a percentage or dollar amount.

Keep in mind that if you go by percentage, many times what they can fill isn't the amount ordered. I chose to go by a dollar amount so as not to take money from the shopper. I figure that they are still running around looking for things that might not be in the shelves. It's not their fault if it isn't there. 

Grocery stores seem different. For that, I will leave cash in a sandwich bag for them. 

I've read not to tip your delivery person less than $10. 

This morning I read that people are listing a generous tip on Instacart to get their grocery order picked, then they delete the tip later. That sucks and karma...she can be a heartless bitch. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/09/tech/instacart-shoppers-tip-baiting/index.html
    When I did Instacart the shopper was so nice. He kept texting me and letting me know what they were out of. He sent me photos of things to see if I wanted to substitute. We were in contact most of the time he was at the store. I felt bad that he was basically risking his health to buy my groceries. I asked him if he would be ok if I left him an extra tip in cash in an envelope under my doormat. He was ok with that. I ended up giving him $20 extra dollars in cash. It was well worth it considering the time, effort, and risk he put into that shopping trip for me. I haven't been giving that much every time. I just felt like that guy deserved it.

• Options
    Thanks all!
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    Update! I had to go and pick up a package (Gigaton CD!!!!!) from the local postal outlet which is inside a store called Shoppers Drug Mart (like CVS in the US) and found the elusive toilet paper! Woo hoo! They are only allowing folks to buy 1 package (which is great), but I feel much better about my supply now. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
    Update! I had to go and pick up a package (Gigaton CD!!!!!) from the local postal outlet which is inside a store called Shoppers Drug Mart (like CVS in the US) and found the elusive toilet paper! Woo hoo! They are only allowing folks to buy 1 package (which is great), but I feel much better about my supply now. 
    my god what a strange time to be alive
     PJ and TP makes a person feel good.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    These days, you take joy where you can find it. :smiley:
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    I was rooting around under my kitchen sink a few days ago and way in the back found 1/2 bottle of Lysol Spray cleaner that I forgot I had.  I was dancing around my apartment like I won the lottery. Strange days, indeed. 
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I was rooting around under my kitchen sink a few days ago and way in the back found 1/2 bottle of Lysol Spray cleaner that I forgot I had.  I was dancing around my apartment like I won the lottery. Strange days, indeed. 
    I just got excited that toilet paper, Lysol spray and disinfectant wipes are showing as in stock and I was able to place them on my grocery order. Now, if I get them or not is a different thing, but that made me unusually happy.