Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Anthony Bourdain ate them in one episode. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Found hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol today. Things are calming down a little. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,213
    Found hand sanitizer and rubbing alcohol today. Things are calming down a little. 
    Grocery store Near me had toilet paper and other paper products today for first time since mid March. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,951
    Looks like most of the grocery stores (least the ones i go to)  are getting back to normal with most of the products in stock now.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Went to the grocery on Friday to pick up a prescription.  Decided that I would fly through and grab a few things we needed.  Other than the illusive Lysol spray, everything else was there.  It wasn't a major shopping trip, but I picked up some things.  98% of the customers were wearing masks.  100% of the coworkers were.  Well stocked, even the meat department.  Nothing was rushed.  Everyone was polite.  My husband asked me how it was and I was able to tell him, "Pleasant."  Thursday is the once-a-month major shop.  I hope that shopping day is equally as pleasant.  
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    This is great to see.
    Instacart order yesterday....had to wait a few days for the schedule date but the shopper was really great.  Communication throughout.  Was able to sub for many of the items and only missed out totally on a few items, which is not abnormal.
    This time there was beef available, which was great.  Some steaks, roasts, and Stew cuts went right into the freezer.
    Also...they had Bubba Burgers back in stock....which is great for next weekend.  If I'm not making a fresh burger I want a Bubba Burger.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    Clorox wipes are still going to be hard to find...  My order I placed a month ago still says 3 weeks out.
  • Options
    Clorox wipes are still going to be hard to find...  My order I placed a month ago still says 3 weeks out.
    I ordered an 80 count container and got a 35 count container instead. That was weeks ago. Haven't seen them since. I think I am just going to make some when we run out. Can't be that hard. We don't use them often anyhow. 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    This is great to see.
    Instacart order yesterday....had to wait a few days for the schedule date but the shopper was really great.  Communication throughout.  Was able to sub for many of the items and only missed out totally on a few items, which is not abnormal.
    This time there was beef available, which was great.  Some steaks, roasts, and Stew cuts went right into the freezer.
    Also...they had Bubba Burgers back in stock....which is great for next weekend.  If I'm not making a fresh burger I want a Bubba Burger.
    Always have bubba onion burgers and potato buns in the freezer. Not the best quality but they work when you have starving teenagers and I am in the mood to recreate the SNL skit - cheesebooger cheesebooger cheesebooger, not coke pepsi, no fries chips.....my kids think I am nuts   
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If you come across Fuddruckers frozen burgers, pick some up, they are even better than Bubba's!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    I'll keep an eye out.  They don't have Fuddruckers around me, although I have eaten there other places and thought it was a pretty good burger.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,928
    I'll keep an eye out.  They don't have Fuddruckers around me, although I have eaten there other places and thought it was a pretty good burger.
    My sister worked at a Fuddruckers when she was in high school. We used to go eat there when she was there. The burgers were great. But those fixin' bars would be a big no-no now. I doubt we will see buffets or salad bars for a while - if ever again. I heard that some places are even doing away with communal ketchup and mustard dispensers.

• Options
    MF117973 said:
    My sister worked at a Fuddruckers when she was in high school. We used to go eat there when she was there. The burgers were great. But those fixin' bars would be a big no-no now. I doubt we will see buffets or salad bars for a while - if ever again. I heard that some places are even doing away with communal ketchup and mustard dispensers.

Read something about McD's doing away with self serve pop stands. Makes a ton of sense. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,065
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:

Read something about McD's doing away with self serve pop stands. Makes a ton of sense. 
    All that money they were going to save by not having employees has backfired...
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:

All that money they were going to save by not having employees has backfired...
    Oh darn. 
  • Options
    No Lysol spray, Purell or disinfectant wipes, but everything else in stock, including filled meat cases. 

My husband has started back to work 2 days a week in office, 3 at home so he requested some gloves. I was able to make that happen. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,251
    Scored the 80 count bazooka of Lysol wipes yesterday. Hit the store on the way home from work and caught them restocking, pure luck with the timing.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Scored the 80 count bazooka of Lysol wipes yesterday. Hit the store on the way home from work and caught them restocking, pure luck with the timing.
    I just said screw it and made some.  We'll see how they work.  
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    deadendp said:
    Poncier said:
    How did ya do that?
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Poncier said:
    How did ya do that?

I cut through a roll of paper towels with a knife.  (To the height of the container I have.)

I diluted some disinfectant cleaner. (Mr. Clean.) I used 1/2 cup cleaner and 1 1/4 cup water. It seems like it is a lil too strong and a lil too much. I'll tweak it next time. 

I placed the shortened paper towel roll into my container, poured the cleaner mixture over them and as it soaked into the paper towels, the cardboard tube loosened and I could pull it out. After I removed the cardboard roll, I started the wipes from the middle. Voila! I have it in a resealable container. Seems to work fine. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Color me impressed!  Way to go, Amy. 
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,809

Holiday weekend and I walk in to the local grocery yesterday only to see a meat counter that was basically fucking EMPTY. Holy fuck!

Memorial Weekend and I cant grill a fucking steak, of any kind?

There were slabs of baby back ribs, and the slab I looked at had a price of $32. Hahahahahahaha

Maybe I will just grill a couple of the wipes I scored a couple weeks ago. 320 wet wipes! But now the so called FUCKING EXPERTS tell me I don't need the wipes because you cant get the virus from surfaces. YEAH RIGHT! Next week these fucking clowns will tell me not only can I get the virus from surfaces, but I should have been grilling and eating the wipes for the last 3 months to begin with .

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Last Saturday I go to the grocery store and there was ABSOLUTLEY ZERO FROZEN VEGETABLES. Well there was some frozen okra, but that was it. The entire aisle was fucking empty.
  • Options
    Last Saturday I go to the grocery store and there was ABSOLUTLEY ZERO FROZEN VEGETABLES. Well there was some frozen okra, but that was it. The entire aisle was fucking empty.
    You know, frozen vegetables were low. I don't know if this was a rush for frozen veggies like flour and baking goods of a few months 
     ago. It wasn't wiped out. I just thought it was the store I was in. 
  • Options
    CDC=bought and paid for, just like the FDA
  • Options
    And now all the fast food joints have limited menus.
  • Options
    Since they don't offer your world famous potato salad, why would you even bother? 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Since they don't offer your world famous potato salad, why would you even bother? 

Truer words.

But being on the road all week I do like to grab a quick egg mcmuffin once in a while. Last week I noticed in every state I drove thru that the menus are now very limited. Just strange.

• Options
    Food processors had to change gears and create product for the home markets as opposed to restaurant service, yes? I read that was what happened to toilet paper. Home TP is different and differently packaged than commercial grade. 

To have a full menu for a lowered number of customers wouldn't be cost effective. However, when we passed by Dunkin on Mother's Day, you would think that no one owned a coffee pot. The line wrapped around the building. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    Food processors had to change gears and create product for the home markets as opposed to restaurant service, yes? I read that was what happened to toilet paper. Home TP is different and differently packaged than commercial grade. 

To have a full menu for a lowered number of customers wouldn't be cost effective. However, when we passed by Dunkin on Mother's Day, you would think that no one owned a coffee pot. The line wrapped around the building. 
    Extra for fat bread
    Nothing says Mother's Day like choco honey glazed fat breads