Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,802
    :lol:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    JF116983JF116983 Posts: 176
    Saw paper towels and Clorox wipes the other day @ local Target, felt like I found gold almost.

crazy times all
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,205
    JF116983 said:
    Saw paper towels and Clorox wipes the other day @ local Target, felt like I found gold almost.

crazy times all
    I found paper towels. But Wow Clorox wipes are the holy grail. 
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    I found Cascade!!
    Today I went to my neighborhood, more affordable Harris Teeter instead of the small specialty grocer I've been using, with the intent of buying extra groceries to donate to the local food bank.  It was awful. I'm not going back there again. The store had ZERO safety measures in place. People were not social distancing. Half of them didn't have masks on. Supplies of everything still low. I was horrified by the whole experience, and I won't go back.
    The only positive result is that I have three bags of non-perishables and a box of diapers to donate. 
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    I found Cascade!!
    Today I went to my neighborhood, more affordable Harris Teeter instead of the small specialty grocer I've been using, with the intent of buying extra groceries to donate to the local food bank.  It was awful. I'm not going back there again. The store had ZERO safety measures in place. People were not social distancing. Half of them didn't have masks on. Supplies of everything still low. I was horrified by the whole experience, and I won't go back.
    The only positive result is that I have three bags of non-perishables and a box of diapers to donate. 
    Is that where you found your Cascade? :smiley:

That is a wonderful thing. Thank you so very much for passing food on to those in need. It is amazing how the food banks and school systems have been providing food to so very many. My daughter's school district even added an evening pick-up day each week, they will deliver if needed and the kids can pick up a week of breakfast and lunch at one pick-up time if they choose. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    edited April 2020
    deadendp said:
    what dreams said:
    I found Cascade!!

That is a wonderful thing. Thank you so very much for passing food on to those in need. It is amazing how the food banks and school systems have been providing food to so very many. My daughter's school district even added an evening pick-up day each week, they will deliver if needed and the kids can pick up a week of breakfast and lunch at one pick-up time if they choose. 
    I found the Cascade at the CVS pharmacy when I picked up my meds before going to the grocery. It was the LAST BOX.  

Unsuccessful at embedding a video. Just sing along with me for a minute:  Synchronicity
    Post edited by what dreams on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    deadendp said:
    what dreams said:
    I found Cascade!!

I found the Cascade at the CVS pharmacy when I picked up my meds before going to the grocery. It was the LAST BOX.  

Unsuccessful at embedding a video. Just sing along with me for a minute:  Synchronicity
    Stevie Wonder is singing to me right now, but I will here in just a bit! :smile: 
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Went grocery shopping this morning at IGA Marketplace in Vancouver. Had to wait outside as they are limiting numbers of peeps in the store. While waiting saw staff wiping down baskets with Lysol wipes which is great. Hardly anyone inside when I got in. Loads of fresh vegetables and fruit. Meat and seafood well stocked. Could have bought flour but they only had 10lb bags and I was on foot. They had TP but I didn’t need any. Forgot to look for Lysol wipes. A few sections were pretty picked through ... only options for frozen vegetables were brussel sprouts and corn. 

They had one staff person managing traffic flow and had set up a waiting area with good spacing to get to the cashier area. 

All in all a good experience. And very impressed with how they are managing people in the store and cleaning the carts and baskets. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Went grocery shopping this morning at IGA Marketplace in Vancouver. Had to wait outside as they are limiting numbers of peeps in the store. While waiting saw staff wiping down baskets with Lysol wipes which is great. Hardly anyone inside when I got in. Loads of fresh vegetables and fruit. Meat and seafood well stocked. Could have bought flour but they only had 10lb bags and I was on foot. They had TP but I didn’t need any. Forgot to look for Lysol wipes. A few sections were pretty picked through ... only options for frozen vegetables were brussel sprouts and corn. 

They had one staff person managing traffic flow and had set up a waiting area with good spacing to get to the cashier area. 

All in all a good experience. And very impressed with how they are managing people in the store and cleaning the carts and baskets. 

This was basically my experience on Friday in Victoria at Thrifty Foods. The line up outside took about 10 minutes, the carts are all pre-wiped, and almost everything was well stocked. I could have gotten tp, paper towels and the like but don't need any. They even had yeast this week! The only thing that still seems out of stock is wipes, but I did get a small bottle of hand sanitizer. Frozen fruit and veggies seem mostly available, fresh produce was all there except no bananas for some reason - who knows why. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,378

, fresh produce was all there except no bananas for some reason - who knows why. 
    Minion invasion?

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    Poncier said:

, fresh produce was all there except no bananas for some reason - who knows why. 
    Minion invasion?

If so, they were more discreet than they typically are. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,490
    edited April 2020
    My teleconferences are so fucking dry and boring, I go on eBay and report sanitizers, masks, lysol, etc as price gouging while going "yep.. uh huh.. gotcha.." about 200 times. For three weeks now. They are actually pretty good at taking those listings down it's pretty impressive. 
    Post edited by crookedcross on
  • Options
    Had to go to Walgreen's to pick up my son's Fluoride prescription, long line in the drive thru, so I put on the mask and went in.
    As I passed the front register heading to the back to the pharmacy, heard woman at the register asking about the "large bottle of hand sanitizer", turned around and lo and behold, behind the registers on a shelf are some varying sizes and brands of hand sanitizer. Got the prescription, jumped in the line and got the 2nd to last Walgreen's brand 28 OZ bottle of sanitizer for $4.79. They had about a dozen smaller sized bottles also. Haven't seen the stuff in a store in well over a month.
    And as it happens, its the wife's birthday, so brought it home and told her that was her present.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Poncier said:
    Had to go to Walgreen's to pick up my son's Fluoride prescription, long line in the drive thru, so I put on the mask and went in.
    As I passed the front register heading to the back to the pharmacy, heard woman at the register asking about the "large bottle of hand sanitizer", turned around and lo and behold, behind the registers on a shelf are some varying sizes and brands of hand sanitizer. Got the prescription, jumped in the line and got the 2nd to last Walgreen's brand 28 OZ bottle of sanitizer for $4.79. They had about a dozen smaller sized bottles also. Haven't seen the stuff in a store in well over a month.
    And as it happens, its the wife's birthday, so brought it home and told her that was her present.
    Not all heroes wear capes.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Poncier said:
    Did you wrap it at least?
    #FHP
  • Options
    My mom found Lactaid for my daughter. :triumph: She also brought us some masks that my sister's MIL made. 
  • Options
    Horos said:
    Poncier said:
    Did you wrap it at least?
    I thought about it. But:
    A. I'm too lazy
    2. I suck at gift wrapping
    Thirdly: It's one of those odd shaped things that is extra hard to wrap
  • Options
    I can wrap anything. You should have phoned! I would have wrapped it beautifully for you! :wink:

We gift wrap at work. The big secret is to wrap on an angle. 
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    Just ran to Lowe's to get a couple of supplies for a house project. 95% of people that I saw were wearing masks & giving everyone more than enough space. It was a nice change from the last trips to various stores.

Not only that, they brought out all mulch, soil, rocks, etc into the parking lot for self-loading and only allowed one car to go through at a time. I was impressed.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    Just ran to Lowe's to get a couple of supplies for a house project. 95% of people that I saw were wearing masks & giving everyone more than enough space. It was a nice change from the last trips to various stores.

Not only that, they brought out all mulch, soil, rocks, etc into the parking lot for self-loading and only allowed one car to go through at a time. I was impressed.
    I'd like to see Ms. @deadendp wrap the items bolded above. I'm there for the Instagram video if one happens.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,404
    dankind said:
    mfc2006 said:

I'd like to see Ms. @deadendp wrap the items bolded above. I'm there for the Instagram video if one happens.
    Ha!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    A project. Might have the kid step in to help, but I could do it. Maybe this week. Got into an organizing project. Gotta get that done first. 

I could gift wrap a car if I had to. I won't, but I could. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    A project. Might have the kid step in to help, but I could do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJbFs9Qnc7o
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,551
    Poncier said:
    deadendp said:
    A project. Might have the kid step in to help, but I could do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJbFs9Qnc7o
    HAHA^^^^Good one ! 

https://youtu.be/sJbFs9Qnc7o

• Options
    That took more than 4 people 4 hours to do that. :rofl:
  • Options
    I placed two pick up orders with Giant Eagle. The first order was $58. I realized I neglected to put the Smart Balance on there (lactose free peeps in the house) so I tried to edit the order. I couldn't since they had already had it in processing. The order totaled out at $19. 

The second order was one I honestly padded with a bunch of stuff not filled on the first order, but because I added chicken, smart balance and an extra loaf of bread, I needed more to get to the order minimum. The second order I submitted was $45. That order totaled out to just under $13. 

Chicken was 2 breasts, not the family pack. One tiny container of Smart Balance. No Lysol. No wipes. Between the 2 orders, we didn't hit the order minimum for one order. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    I placed two pick up orders with Giant Eagle. The first order was $58. I realized I neglected to put the Smart Balance on there (lactose free peeps in the house) so I tried to edit the order. I couldn't since they had already had it in processing. The order totaled out at $19. 

The second order was one I honestly padded with a bunch of stuff not filled on the first order, but because I added chicken, smart balance and an extra loaf of bread, I needed more to get to the order minimum. The second order I submitted was $45. That order totaled out to just under $13. 

Chicken was 2 breasts, not the family pack. One tiny container of Smart Balance. No Lysol. No wipes. Between the 2 orders, we didn't hit the order minimum for one order. 
    Are you doing all your grocery shopping online? I've been going to the grocery store every two weeks or so. I actually made it three weeks between trips last time, but we supplemented with some takeout here and there.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:

Are you doing all your grocery shopping online? I've been going to the grocery store every two weeks or so. I actually made it three weeks between trips last time, but we supplemented with some takeout here and there.
    No. I do one big shop a month and supplement halfway through with GE curbside. I go to the curbside only store, so I was thinking that perhaps they would keep up on stock a bit more. 

We're fine. I just get some fresh stuff in between. 
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    deadendp said:
    dankind said:
    deadendp said:

No. I do one big shop a month and supplement halfway through with GE curbside. I go to the curbside only store, so I was thinking that perhaps they would keep up on stock a bit more. 

We're fine. I just get some fresh stuff in between. 
    OK, let me know if you need a guinea pig.

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM