Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,055
    I was checking out a Trader Joes yesterday and when they were ringing me up low and behold there was napkins and toilet paper.  I almost cried...
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,921
    I was checking out a Trader Joes yesterday and when they were ringing me up low and behold there was napkins and toilet paper.  I almost cried...
    But were there paper towels? That is my mission this week. I can only find online the large 12 packs. I live alone in a smallish apartment. Is a two pack of paper towels too much to ask for- clearly it is 😬
  • Options
    what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,761
    MF117973 said:
    But were there paper towels? That is my mission this week. I can only find online the large 12 packs. I live alone in a smallish apartment. Is a two pack of paper towels too much to ask for- clearly it is 😬
    If I end up buying the 6 pack case of Cascade this week, I'm going to donate half of it to the local food bank. I'm with you. I don't have storage for six boxes of dish detergent. Three boxes would easily last me a year.  I'm sure someone else would be thrilled to share the 12 rolls of paper towels with you. Right now I'm holding out on principle but I'm pretty sure as soon as I get my stimulus check, I'm going to cave. My $1200 deposit, btw, is already scheduled in my bank account for the 15th. Anyone else so lucky to be among the first?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    MF117973 said:
    If I end up buying the 6 pack case of Cascade this week, I'm going to donate half of it to the local food bank. I'm with you. I don't have storage for six boxes of dish detergent. Three boxes would easily last me a year.  I'm sure someone else would be thrilled to share the 12 rolls of paper towels with you. Right now I'm holding out on principle but I'm pretty sure as soon as I get my stimulus check, I'm going to cave. My $1200 deposit, btw, is already scheduled in my bank account for the 15th. Anyone else so lucky to be among the first?
    I don't know if you saw my comment in the Coronavirus thread, but baking soda and Dawn dish soap works just about as well as Cascade, without the chemical build up. 
    When I stopped using Cascade I stopped using the rinse agent as well, because the baking soda film (there's just always a damn film, isn't there?) isn't a caustic chemical and it wipes away with a swipe of a dish towel.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:
    I don't know if you saw my comment in the Coronavirus thread, but baking soda and Dawn dish soap works just about as well as Cascade, without the chemical build up. 
    When I stopped using Cascade I stopped using the rinse agent as well, because the baking soda film (there's just always a damn film, isn't there?) isn't a caustic chemical and it wipes away with a swipe of a dish towel.

@rgambs What is the ratio of dawn and baking soda?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:

A spoon and a squirt lol
    It doesn't have to be exact, as long as your dishes are rinsed it works great.  I'm sure someone out there on the interwebs has a more exact ratio if you search it.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:

A spoon and a squirt lol
    It doesn't have to be exact, as long as your dishes are rinsed it works great.  I'm sure someone out there on the interwebs has a more exact ratio if you search it.
    Thanks for the tip. I may try it once to see how clean they come out. I don't have the patience for wiping down the film, though, toxic or not. Or having to rinse the dish clean before putting it in the dishwasher. Defeats the entire purpose of the dishwasher.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    I 100% of the time clean the dishes before going in the dishwasher.
    My wife doesn't and there is a different level of clean when the dishwasher is done.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:

A spoon and a squirt lol
    Thanks!
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    My wife doesn't and there is a different level of clean when the dishwasher is done.
    I clean off the dishes beforehand, too. I did the cheat to see if it would make a difference. It did. Our dishwasher is also 20 years old. That may be part of my problem. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    MF117973 said:

A spoon and a squirt lol
    Thanks for the tip. I may try it once to see how clean they come out. I don't have the patience for wiping down the film, though, toxic or not. Or having to rinse the dish clean before putting it in the dishwasher. Defeats the entire purpose of the dishwasher.
    Yeah if you don't rinse before loading you are going to be needing those caustic chemicals lol

We just always be sure to rinse at time of use.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,245
    Learned that as a kid. Common sense.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,448
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Update! I had to go and pick up a package (Gigaton CD!!!!!) from the local postal outlet which is inside a store called Shoppers Drug Mart (like CVS in the US) and found the elusive toilet paper! Woo hoo! They are only allowing folks to buy 1 package (which is great), but I feel much better about my supply now. 
    my god what a strange time to be alive
     PJ and TP makes a person feel good.....
    I was rooting around under my kitchen sink a few days ago and way in the back found 1/2 bottle of Lysol Spray cleaner that I forgot I had.  I was dancing around my apartment like I won the lottery. Strange days, indeed. 
    I just got excited that toilet paper, Lysol spray and disinfectant wipes are showing as in stock and I was able to place them on my grocery order. Now, if I get them or not is a different thing, but that made me unusually happy. 
    I went into the Battle today and I was able to "score" TP , 1 small bottle wipes(last one left) and paper towels. No luck with Kleenex Tissues. I admit that I was Happy when I saw TP and ":scored."
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,921
    cutz said:
    deadendp said:
    MF117973 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Update! I had to go and pick up a package (Gigaton CD!!!!!) from the local postal outlet which is inside a store called Shoppers Drug Mart (like CVS in the US) and found the elusive toilet paper! Woo hoo! They are only allowing folks to buy 1 package (which is great), but I feel much better about my supply now. 
    my god what a strange time to be alive
     PJ and TP makes a person feel good.....
    I was rooting around under my kitchen sink a few days ago and way in the back found 1/2 bottle of Lysol Spray cleaner that I forgot I had.  I was dancing around my apartment like I won the lottery. Strange days, indeed. 
    I just got excited that toilet paper, Lysol spray and disinfectant wipes are showing as in stock and I was able to place them on my grocery order. Now, if I get them or not is a different thing, but that made me unusually happy. 
    I went into the Battle today and I was able to "score" TP , 1 small bottle wipes(last one left) and paper towels. No luck with Kleenex Tissues. I admit that I was Happy when I saw TP and ":scored."
    I just scored two rolls of paper towels at my corner bodega. The things that excite me are much different now 😜
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    Modern dishwashers work less well if you rinse the dishes first. The sensors are designed to sense food particles and if there aren’t any the cycle doesn’t clean as well. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I know marketing bullshit when I smell it.

Where's Bill Burr when you need him?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    edited April 2020
    I agree that this is misinformation.  

(Based on zero research or testing...sort of a Trump approach to facts.  In this case, I'm going with it.
    :lol:. )
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I agree that this is misinformation.  

(Based on zero research or testing...sort of a Trump approach to facts.  In this case, I'm going with it.
    :lol:. )

https://www.consumerreports.org/dishwashers/dont-bother-pre-rinsing-your-dishes/

Feel free :lol: 
  • Options
    rgambs said:

What are they marketing - less waste of water? 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,982
    edited April 2020
    Modern dishwashers work less well if you rinse the dishes first. The sensors are designed to sense food particles and if there aren’t any the cycle doesn’t clean as well. 
    This is true. Turbidity sensors will tell the control to stop washing if they don't detect particles in the water in the sump.

Also, a main component of dishwasher detergent is enzymatic. If there isn't any organic material in the dishwasher for it to act on, it just gets flushed down the drain without contributing anything to the cleaning process. Hopefully you also have a chlorine component in your detergent that will sanitize your dishes. Otherwise, the dishwasher is effectively just spraying hot water on your dishes and that is the extent of the cleaning process. 

ETA: The benefit to rinsing dishes before putting them in the dishwasher is for those people who don't run the dishwasher daily. If you're only running a cycle once or twice a week, I wouldn't recommend leaving food on the dishes. That would get pretty gross in a hurry. 
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Laziness.  "You don't even have to rinse your dishes! Just put them in the dishwasher with the food still on them!" 

Water is free where I live, and regardless, there's no way that running the dishwasher every day with half loads is less wasteful than a quick rinse at time of use and then doing full loads.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Laziness.  "You don't even have to rinse your dishes! Just put them in the dishwasher with the food still on them!" 

Water is free where I live, and regardless, there's no way that running the dishwasher every day with half loads is less wasteful than a quick rinse at time of use and then doing full loads.
    People are pretty lazy anyway; that doesn’t need any marketing :lol:  

And we should respect the essential resource of water, whether it’s free or not. Unless you have data, I suspect you are not correct that rinsing dishes uses less water than running the dishwasher, nor is it necessary to run it every day. I rarely run mine more than every three days. 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

And we should respect the essential resource of water, whether it’s free or not. Unless you have data, I suspect you are not correct that rinsing dishes uses less water than running the dishwasher, nor is it necessary to run it every day. I rarely run mine more than every three days. 
    So you've got dishes with dried on food in a machine that senses how dirty they are and works harder to clean them and you really think dishwasher voodoo is using less water than a quick rinse while the food is still fresh and not stuck on?
    I don't need biased industry data to tell me that pasta sauce, guacamole, egg, ketchup, mayonnaise, etc don't come off in even 2 cycles if allowed to dry on the dishes.  

I think respecting water as a resource is good, in general, but it is locally abundant and doesn't need conservation where I live, only protection from pollution.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,055
    I have a solution, just wash your dishes by hand!

I've had a dish washer for almost 10 years and haven't used it for anything other than pyrex storage.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Oh, my. I've started the Dishwasher Wars on the AET. 
    Maybe time for a new hobby  =)
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    Made 1 single trip to the store on Saturday. Didn't have to worry about cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, wipes, gloves, etc. I have been able over the last 2 weeks, with many trips to the store by both my wife and I, to secure all of that and be good for a few weeks. This trip was basically just for food, and happy to say it was simple and uneventful. Had to pay premium prices for a few items, but all in all it was a painless trip. Plenty of fruit and vegetables, meat was not an issue. I guess my only surprise was the cost of eggs, and how I was only allowed to buy a dozen. Oh well, if eggs are my biggest worry? Then I did fine.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Made 1 single trip to the store on Saturday. Didn't have to worry about cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, wipes, gloves, etc. I have been able over the last 2 weeks, with many trips to the store by both my wife and I, to secure all of that and be good for a few weeks. This trip was basically just for food, and happy to say it was simple and uneventful. Had to pay premium prices for a few items, but all in all it was a painless trip. Plenty of fruit and vegetables, meat was not an issue. I guess my only surprise was the cost of eggs, and how I was only allowed to buy a dozen. Oh well, if eggs are my biggest worry? Then I did fine.
    How much were the eggs?
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    rgambs said:
    How much were the eggs?
    $3 a dozen
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

So you've got dishes with dried on food in a machine that senses how dirty they are and works harder to clean them and you really think dishwasher voodoo is using less water than a quick rinse while the food is still fresh and not stuck on?
    I don't need biased industry data to tell me that pasta sauce, guacamole, egg, ketchup, mayonnaise, etc don't come off in even 2 cycles if allowed to dry on the dishes.  

I think respecting water as a resource is good, in general, but it is locally abundant and doesn't need conservation where I live, only protection from pollution.
    What can I say? I guess you’ve got a crap dishwasher :lol: