Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    deadendp said:
    Food processors had to change gears and create product for the home markets as opposed to restaurant service, yes? I read that was what happened to toilet paper. Home TP is different and differently packaged than commercial grade. 

To have a full menu for a lowered number of customers wouldn't be cost effective. However, when we passed by Dunkin on Mother's Day, you would think that no one owned a coffee pot. The line wrapped around the building. 
    Extra for fat bread
    Nothing says Mother's Day like choco honey glazed fat breads
    True. I forgot they aren't just coffee. Not a fan of donuts or many other fat breads. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    Poncier said:
    Scored the 80 count bazooka of Lysol wipes yesterday. Hit the store on the way home from work and caught them restocking, pure luck with the timing.
    I just said screw it and made some.  We'll see how they work.  
    How did ya do that?

I cut through a roll of paper towels with a knife.  (To the height of the container I have.)

I diluted some disinfectant cleaner. (Mr. Clean.) I used 1/2 cup cleaner and 1 1/4 cup water. It seems like it is a lil too strong and a lil too much. I'll tweak it next time. 

I placed the shortened paper towel roll into my container, poured the cleaner mixture over them and as it soaked into the paper towels, the cardboard tube loosened and I could pull it out. After I removed the cardboard roll, I started the wipes from the middle. Voila! I have it in a resealable container. Seems to work fine. 
    Very creative. Thanks!

"Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    edited May 2020
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    Food processors had to change gears and create product for the home markets as opposed to restaurant service, yes? I read that was what happened to toilet paper. Home TP is different and differently packaged than commercial grade. 

To have a full menu for a lowered number of customers wouldn't be cost effective. However, when we passed by Dunkin on Mother's Day, you would think that no one owned a coffee pot. The line wrapped around the building. 
    Extra for fat bread
    Nothing says Mother's Day like choco honey glazed fat breads
    True. I forgot they aren't just coffee. Not a fan of donuts or many other fat breads. 
    I love fat bread of most types....but I don't want to be a lardo so only eat them on occasion.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    I went to Walmart this morning to get a few things. A guy was blocking an aisle and looking for something on the shelf. I asked him very politely if I could go around him, while maintaining safe distancing. He said go ahead, Covid-19 is not real, it's just a huge government cover up. I walked past him and said thanks, I wasn't interested in engaging him in a political discussion. Ugh.
    Thread integrity, several shelves were still empty.
  • Options
    giventofly69giventofly69 Vancouver Posts: 849
    Tip: some stores (example Shoppers Drug Mart) are keeping high demand items behind the counter so it is worth asking if you can’t find something. I got no name brand disinfectant wipes yesterday and rubbing alcohol cuz I asked. Each was behind the counter. 
    "Your light's reflected now, reflected from afar. We were but stones, your light made us stars."
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    Bought some off brand hand sanitizer today. It is a liquid instead of a gel. I think they basically poured rubbing alcohol into a fancy bottle  :o
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Stores have been in decent shape recently.  Selection of meat has been spotty though.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Get_Right said:
    Stores have been in decent shape recently.  Selection of meat has been spotty though.
    Go to your butcher or Prime meat butcher.  You pay a little more but it's good quality meat.

Toilet paper is all over the shelves.  Trader Joes has all the frozen veggies we need.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
     went yesterday morning to my grocery store. pretty well stocked and not too many people in there.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Go to your butcher or Prime meat butcher.  You pay a little more but it's good quality meat.

Toilet paper is all over the shelves.  Trader Joes has all the frozen veggies we need.
    No butchers where I live. A few small local specialty shops that sell prime meat but VERY expensive. Like $36/lb.for ribeyes that they only cut extra thick. I'm just looking for organic chicken and its been hit or miss. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

No butchers where I live. A few small local specialty shops that sell prime meat but VERY expensive. Like $36/lb.for ribeyes that they only cut extra thick. I'm just looking for organic chicken and its been hit or miss. 
    I wouldn't bother with organic chicken, to be honest.  What's the point?  The meat produced is the same, and if it's about the environmental impact, you're much, much better off skipping chicken altogether.  Just my two cents, I don't hate on organic produce, I just don't see the point in organic meat.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

I wouldn't bother with organic chicken, to be honest.  What's the point?  The meat produced is the same, and if it's about the environmental impact, you're much, much better off skipping chicken altogether.  Just my two cents, I don't hate on organic produce, I just don't see the point in organic meat.
    Quality, texture, and taste is much better than the perdue or tyson stuff.
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    rgambs said:
    Get_Right said:
    Get_Right said:

Quality, texture, and taste is much better than the perdue or tyson stuff.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    My wife insists on organic chicken.  Shit costs so much more....hoping there is some benefit to it vs the stuff I could buy for a third of the cost.

• Options
    My wife insists on organic chicken.  Shit costs so much more....hoping there is some benefit to it vs the stuff I could buy for a third of the cost.

Placebo effect at least lol

Pastured chicken is very different, but CAFO chicken fed organic chicken feed is exactly the same as regular CAFO chicken..  If your organic chicken truly does have a firmer texture and richer flavor, that's more likely because it is not a Cornish X breed of chicken.  Cornish crosses don't free range, even if it says they were raised "free range" on the package.  They are too lazy and hungry to venture more than a few feet from their food source lol  You can pasture Cornish cross birds, but there's not much sense to it, they don't really forage enough to bother.  Alternative meat breeds take much longer to raise to fryer/broiler weight, and that increases the cost significantly.  Those alternatives do forage much more, so they have a much healthier Omega profile from the bugs and fresh greens they eat.  Organic chicken, though, does not mean pastured, which is what most people mean when they think free range.
    BTW, "free range" only has to mean that they have access to the outdoors, and can literally mean a tiny concrete pad for hundreds of chickens.  The likelihood that they actually use it, or that it would improve their life/quality is very low.
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Placebo effect at least lol

Pastured chicken is very different, but CAFO chicken fed organic chicken feed is exactly the same as regular CAFO chicken..  If your organic chicken truly does have a firmer texture and richer flavor, that's more likely because it is not a Cornish X breed of chicken.  Cornish crosses don't free range, even if it says they were raised "free range" on the package.  They are too lazy and hungry to venture more than a few feet from their food source lol  You can pasture Cornish cross birds, but there's not much sense to it, they don't really forage enough to bother.  Alternative meat breeds take much longer to raise to fryer/broiler weight, and that increases the cost significantly.  Those alternatives do forage much more, so they have a much healthier Omega profile from the bugs and fresh greens they eat.  Organic chicken, though, does not mean pastured, which is what most people mean when they think free range.
    BTW, "free range" only has to mean that they have access to the outdoors, and can literally mean a tiny concrete pad for hundreds of chickens.  The likelihood that they actually use it, or that it would improve their life/quality is very low.
    Super Size Me 2 covers this very well.

https://youtu.be/iY-Zq6nnaHo
  • Options
    Watched the first half of that need the go back and watch rest.  Love some Morgan Spurlock.
  • Options
    I never saw the second one!
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    You need to. :chicken:
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    I never saw the first one either...
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    I'll trade you Dodgeball for both SSM. 
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    HA!  You're on!

Usually you pay double for that kind of action, Cotton..
  • Options
    deadendp said:
    deadendp said:
    rgambs said:
    HA!  You're on!

Usually you pay double for that kind of action, Cotton..
    I have quotes to learn. I so have quotes to learn... :lol:
  • Options
    Target is the winner with disinfectant wipes, bleach spray and hand sanitizer.  (Germ-x -> $5.99 for 32 ounces.) Sam's Club was selling smaller bottles for far more money. Still no Lysol anywhere. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    edited June 2020
    As yesterday was our anniversary, and we've entered phase 2 here in MA and outdoor dining is open, we ventured for our first dinner out since early March. And got to wear the new masks I got for us:

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Poncier, are you a fellow ginger?!

Happy anniversary :)
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Dirty blonde, probably just the sun behind me.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    Today I finally found select-a-size paper towels. For the last month I could only find the rolls where you had to tear off the full sheet. I never need a paper towel sheet that big and it uses up the roll really fast. So I was very excited to find the select a size rolls again. Still no Purell. I bought some off brand hand sanitizer that smells really bad. It is so off putting I don’t even want to use it. What is the deal with Purell taking so long. Have any of you found that actual brand yet
  • Options
    MF117973 said:
    Today I finally found select-a-size paper towels. For the last month I could only find the rolls where you had to tear off the full sheet. I never need a paper towel sheet that big and it uses up the roll really fast. So I was very excited to find the select a size rolls again. Still no Purell. I bought some off brand hand sanitizer that smells really bad. It is so off putting I don’t even want to use it. What is the deal with Purell taking so long. Have any of you found that actual brand yet
    I live down the road maybe 15 minutes from Gojo, the manufacturer of Purell, and we don't see it here either. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I love the select-a-size rolls.  They're all we use (and have been fortunate to find here).

Some restaurants here have added sundries and disinfectant items to their delivery and to-go menus.

Nine bucks for a bottle of sanitizer?  Bloody hell no!