Options

Serious Discussion - Empty Grocery Stores

Comments

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    Made 1 single trip to the store on Saturday. Didn't have to worry about cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, wipes, gloves, etc. I have been able over the last 2 weeks, with many trips to the store by both my wife and I, to secure all of that and be good for a few weeks. This trip was basically just for food, and happy to say it was simple and uneventful. Had to pay premium prices for a few items, but all in all it was a painless trip. Plenty of fruit and vegetables, meat was not an issue. I guess my only surprise was the cost of eggs, and how I was only allowed to buy a dozen. Oh well, if eggs are my biggest worry? Then I did fine.
    How much were the eggs?
    $3 a dozen
    For the regular white eggs?  Not "free range" or organic?
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    I have a solution, just wash your dishes by hand!

I've had a dish washer for almost 10 years and haven't used it for anything other than pyrex storage.

We have a dishwasher that fairly old, can be a bit cranky at times, and not particularly pretty to look at, but it works great and rinses the dishes very well.  It looks like this (not the cat):

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Made 1 single trip to the store on Saturday. Didn't have to worry about cleaning supplies, hand sanitizer, wipes, gloves, etc. I have been able over the last 2 weeks, with many trips to the store by both my wife and I, to secure all of that and be good for a few weeks. This trip was basically just for food, and happy to say it was simple and uneventful. Had to pay premium prices for a few items, but all in all it was a painless trip. Plenty of fruit and vegetables, meat was not an issue. I guess my only surprise was the cost of eggs, and how I was only allowed to buy a dozen. Oh well, if eggs are my biggest worry? Then I did fine.
    How much were the eggs?
    $3 a dozen
    For the regular white eggs?  Not "free range" or organic?
    regular ole eggs.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Just went to pick up a couple of items for the week. Stayed away from the large grocery chains here in KC & went to a small one close to home. They are slowly getting items restocked. Wore a mask & gloves...so eerie.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    SPEEDY MCCREADYSPEEDY MCCREADY Posts: 24,808
    mfc2006 said:
    Just went to pick up a couple of items for the week. Stayed away from the large grocery chains here in KC & went to a small one close to home. They are slowly getting items restocked. Wore a mask & gloves...so eerie.
    I have made my LAST TRIP to Wal-Mart for quite some time. Im just going to do the smaller store near me. Walmart came in handy for a couple weeks with picking up my cleaning supplies, but I am good for quite some time now. I could care less how much extra I pay for canned goods and whatever. Im not doing the big stores.
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    mfc2006 said:
    I have made my LAST TRIP to Wal-Mart for quite some time. Im just going to do the smaller store near me. Walmart came in handy for a couple weeks with picking up my cleaning supplies, but I am good for quite some time now. I could care less how much extra I pay for canned goods and whatever. Im not doing the big stores.
    That's what we decided as well. Smart move!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    My mother-in-law put in a rather large order for them with Giant Eagle.  Since she only got half of her order last time, she figured it would be the same.  I called to check.  "So, did you get $140. in groceries?"

"Yes I did."

Whoops. 

I have my order to pick up with GE on Wednesday.  I've added in things for my mom and my MIL.  Figuring that we'll probably get pretty much most on the order.  Haven't tried for eggs in a few weeks and honestly, we're still good.  We just ate the Easter eggs for lunch.  
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    Haven't been to the grocery store in about a week and half/two weeks. Gonna head out tomorrow morning. Hopefully not too many people are there.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Haven't been to the grocery store in about a week and half/two weeks. Gonna head out tomorrow morning. Hopefully not too many people are there.
    May the force be with you. 
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    mfc2006 said:
    I've been to Walmart every 2-3 days. Haven't really had a problem finding everything I need.
    #FHP
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643

I've had a dish washer for almost 10 years and haven't used it for anything other than pyrex storage.
    You don't have kids.  
    If it were just me or me and a woman who used dishes at a normal pace, I would not use the dishwasher.
    No dishwasher is going to do a better job than I will....and i would just as soon wash and be done.
    In fact when my family is gone (they went to CA for ten days last year) I used I glass, 1 mug, 1 plate, 1 bowl, and one set of silverware.  It was awesome.  Never had to go anywhere except the drying rack for any of that shit and they were all spotless.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    The amount of dishes we use daily is crazy, but I am glad that they we are not disposable dishes kind of people. Believe me, I know people who are. 

I run the dishwasher on a daily basis with all of us home. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    The Dishwasher Wars continue!

Let’s  all gather, 6 feet apart, and throw dishwashers at each other. We’ll settle this once and for all. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    edited April 2020
    deadendp said:
    The amount of dishes we use daily is crazy, but I am glad that they we are not disposable dishes kind of people. Believe me, I know people who are. 

I run the dishwasher on a daily basis with all of us home. 
    Yes, I hate it....but I run daily at this time as well.
  • Options

Let’s  all gather, 6 feet apart, and throw dishwashers at each other. We’ll settle this once and for all. 
    But . . . I can't throw anything that heavy.  :smiley: 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    deadendp said:

But . . . I can't throw anything that heavy.  :smiley: 
    Wimp.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Just picked up my grocery order. Received about 2/3 of what I ordered. Everything that I received was great except for two loaves of bread, dated for today and one with three holes in the bag. They gave me a credit for that loaf and honestly, I tossed it. 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053

I'm throwing knives and pots and pans.  I'm pretty sure most of you don't want to dislocate a hip or something trying to throw a dishwasher...
  • Options

You don't have kids.  
    If it were just me or me and a woman who used dishes at a normal pace, I would not use the dishwasher.
    No dishwasher is going to do a better job than I will....and i would just as soon wash and be done.
    In fact when my family is gone (they went to CA for ten days last year) I used I glass, 1 mug, 1 plate, 1 bowl, and one set of silverware.  It was awesome.  Never had to go anywhere except the drying rack for any of that shit and they were all spotless.
    HA!  The bachelor mentality still exists in you!

My GF uses a different spoon, fork, whatever when she cooks.  The sink gets loaded.  She yells at me for using the same wooden utensil for everything.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,938
    deadendp said:
    May the force be with you. 
    It went fine. Got there pretty early, little after 7. There was a fair amount of people there. Had just about everything I needed. Weird to see just about everyone wearing masks and stuff. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,245
    deadendp said:
    Everything that I received was great except for two loaves of bread, dated for today and one with three holes in the bag. 
    This is why I won't use one of these services. For non perishable items its not a big risk. But I don't want someone else picking out my meat or produce etc. Checking the date on a loaf of bread takes a half second and is necessary even in normal times.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,919
    I ventured to Whole Foods today in my neighborhood in NYC. I had to line up for about 20 minutes to get in. I was wearing a mask and gloves. Most people were, but not everyone. The aisles also felt a bit too crowded for me. But I got almost everything I needed. I got the last package of ground turkey as well. The only thing I couldn't find was blueberry jam. That is my favorite and I am almost out. I also forgot to buy mustard and burger buns. Have a few left - not worth going back. That is the main issue - if you forget something it is a total production - you can't just quickly run in and get it. I can do without for now. I also had success finding a laundromat fairly nearby that is still open. I am going to drop off my clothes tomorrow. I think I am all set with groceries now for at least 2-3 weeks. Sigh of relief.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    deadendp said:
    Everything that I received was great except for two loaves of bread, dated for today and one with three holes in the bag. 
    This is why I won't use one of these services. For non perishable items its not a big risk. But I don't want someone else picking out my meat or produce etc. Checking the date on a loaf of bread takes a half second and is necessary even in normal times.
    The last one I had shop for us was awesome....all dates far out and when ordered two batches of bananas, one was ready and one was green
    ...just as I would buy.
    Only bitch was raspberries but it seems a third of those darn things are always foul.
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that when I was at the grocery store today - I profusely thanked my cashier for everything she is doing - for going to work every day. I told her how much I appreciated her. We both started tearing up a little.
  • Options
    HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Poncier said:
    deadendp said:
    I don't think I've ever checked the date on a loaf of bread.

#FHP
  • Options
    Horos said:
    Poncier said:
    deadendp said:
    I don't think I've ever checked the date on a loaf of bread.

Yep.  If it's not green it's still good.

I only buy Ezekiel that stays frozen so I wouldn't know the date either.
  • Options

Easy to spot this date, but I did double check that it was sell by and not the date it was brought in. 

They refunded me for the holey loaf.  Added the credit to the store card. Oh well. Everything else was fine. 
  • Options
    I had a productive day today. I found an open laundromat that was only about a 10 minute walk. I used my cart to wheel over my laundry. I can pick it up tomorrow afternoon. Then when I was walking home from the laundromat I saw that my local hardware store had masks in stock - of course not the N95 - but the blue surgical masks. Since NYC is now required to wear masks in public I wanted to get a few more. They had a limit of 2 packs of 10 per customer - but they also let me buy 2 more packs of 10 to send to my senior parents who have been running very low and reusing their masks too much. The icing on the cake was that they also had a few bottle of 409 spray - so got one of those as well. I know everyone is focused on Lysol and Clorox, but 409 also kills 99% viruses and bacteria - so if you see any that will work as well. So between laundry, masks, and 409 - today was a good day. Boy - what constitutes a good day sure has changed recently :)
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    deadendp said:

Easy to spot this date, but I did double check that it was sell by and not the date it was brought in. 

They refunded me for the holey loaf.  Added the credit to the store card. Oh well. Everything else was fine. 

Maybe compost it or break it up and throw it out as bird food.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    deadendp said:

Maybe compost it or break it up and throw it out as bird food.
    My husband would kill me and turn me into compost if I fed the bread to the birds. (He's a park naturalist. Bread ain't good for the birds.)