"Gigaton" and its tracks on the charts

BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,976
edited August 2020 in The Porch
This post will be updated weekly.  Numbers below are the song's position on the referenced Billboard charts from week to week.

Updated on Tuesday, August 25, 2020:

"Dance Of The Clairvoyants" (22 weeks)
Hot Rock Songs (7-3-9-9-22-26-31-30-39-32-11-43-X)
Alternative (27-18-17-17-15-19-23-28-35-40-X)
Mainstream Rock (24-22-17-18-23-26-37-X)
Adult Album Alternative (Triple A) (24-10-6-4-4-2-2-2-2-3-6-11-14-22-32-39-X)
Rock Airplay (9-9-8-9-10-14-20-27-31-36-39-44-X)
Rock Digital Song Sales (2-2-14-18-X)
Canada Rock (26-16-4-3-4-3-4-6-6-7-7-11-12-13-17-20-29-27-29-26-28-27-X)

"Superblood Wolfmoon" (25 weeks)
Hot Rock Songs (48-37-X-45-17-40-39-46-41-39-34-44-X)
Mainstream Rock (28-17-16-15-14-11-9-10-8-7-6-4-5-5-9-18-26-33-38-36-X)
Rock Airplay (42-37-34-36-30-29-26-25-21-18-20-20-20-21-28-39-X)
Rock Digital Song Sales (14-X)
Canada Rock (30-19-15-16-15-13-14-14-13-12-10-10-10-11-8-8-10-11-13-16-20-25-27-26-29-X)

"Retrograde" (16 weeks)
Hot Rock Songs (35-X)
Adult Album Alternative (Triple A) (28-25-20-15-12-11-11-12-9-9-9-9-9-11-20-36-X)
Rock Airplay (45-45-45-41-44-X-47-50-X)

"Quick Escape" 
Hot Rock Songs (32-X)
Canada Rock (50-X)

"Who Ever Said" 
Hot Rock Songs (34-X)

"Seven O'Clock"

Hot Rock Songs (45-X)

Gigaton (15 weeks)
Billboard 200 (5-66-X)
Top Album Sales (2-7-15-20-29-42-68-79-X)
Top Current Album Sales (2-7-14-19-23-30-36-49-57-64-62-60-65-65-96-X)
Top Vinyl Sales (1-?-X)
Top Rock Albums (1-7-35-X)
Alternative Albums (1-5-13-24-X)
Hard Rock Albums (1-4-10-14-X)
Tastemaker Albums (1-1-2-6-4-6-11-10-16-12-19-X)
Canadian Albums (5-27-X-66-X)

Bold = peak position
X = fell off chart

"Superblood Wolfmoon" re-entered the Hot Rock Songs chart after three weeks outside of the top 50.

Gigaton re-entered the Canadian Albums chart after one week where it failed to chart, then fell off the chart again.

"Retrograde" debuted on the Adult Album Alternative (Triple A) chart for the week ending May 9, 2020.

"Quick Escape" debuted on the Canada Rock chart for the week ending July 11, 2020.

"Retrograde" re-entered the Rock Airplay chart for the week ending August 1, 2020.
I gather speed from you fucking with me.
Post edited by BF25394 on

Comments

• (LAST WEEK - THIS WEEK) ?
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,976
    Yes, although I would think of it more as First Week - Second Week.  Next week, I will add a third number, and so on.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    The first week I believe was based on only 2 days of airplay, downloads, and streaming
    I miss igotid88
    The tracking is staggered, so it was actually two days of sales and streaming but five days of airplay.

The tracking week for sales and streaming goes from Friday to Thursday, but the tracking week for airplay goes from Monday to Sunday.
  • pearldavidsonpearldavidson PA Posts: 1,356
    I’ll be checking in. Thanks OP!
  • NatashapearljamfanNatashapearljamfan Australia Posts: 3,777
    I’ll be checking in. Thanks OP!
    Me too 😀 thanks. 
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    I heard it in public for the first time today, at a Toyota dealer getting my car serviced.
    Updated.
    Updated to add Hot Rock Songs and Rock Digital Song Sales.
  • Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,671
     DOTC is a great song. Unfortunately the only Pearl Jam that the mouth breathing wankers at my local terrestrial radio station ever play is   Alive & Even Flow. 
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,642
    This guy is definitely off the charts!!!

https://youtu.be/8eTzGUn2dcY
    mvw said:
    This guy is definitely off the charts!!!

https://youtu.be/8eTzGUn2dcY
    That guy sounds a lot like Jay Farrar.  I find his version strangely appealing.
    This week's chart update will be delayed by one day due to the federal holiday.
    Partially updated for Week 4.  The song is not making much of a dent.  The four official YouTube videos have a total of 5.8 million views in 3 weeks.
    BF25394 said:
    Partially updated for Week 4.  The song is not making much of a dent.  The four official YouTube videos have a total of 5.8 million views in 3 weeks.
    Compared to MYM that has 5.6 million  for the official and audio. That's pretty good. But like most Pearl  Jam singles. Radio stops playing it after a couple of weeks. It's interesting because almost everyone doesn't like the new  Green Day. But it's gaining on radio
    I see Dance is being added to Hot AC. And it's still doing well at AAA. Will probably be their 3rd #1 on there 
    I miss igotid88
    edited February 2020
    It's taking four videos combined to reach that relatively small number of views.  Since many fans will have viewed all four of the videos, the actual audience is probably less than 2 million unique individuals.

It's not really gaining at radio.  On the Rock Airplay chart, it debuted at No. 9 three weeks ago, got up to No. 8, and is now at No. 9.  It has petered out at Alternative Rock and Mainstream Rock radio.  And the Triple A airplay is nominally gaining, but the audience for those stations is very small (and there are only about 100 of them in the whole country, many of which are non-commercial).

It is frustrating how "modern rock" radio stations are basically oldies stations now that occasionally sprinkle in a song from the current year.  KROQ in L.A. used to count down the top 106 songs of the year at the end of the year.  By a couple of years ago, it was down to a top 25 because they played so few current songs.  Now there's no year-end countdown at all.  The sad thing is that they're just giving the audience what they want.  The average listener who grew up on the rock of the '90s doesn't have much interest in hearing anything new.   
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    BF25394 said:
    It's taking four videos combined to reach that relatively small number of views.  Since many fans will have viewed all four of the videos, the actual audience is probably less than 2 million unique individuals.

It's not really gaining at radio.  On the Rock Airplay chart, it debuted at No. 9 three weeks ago, got up to No. 8, and is now at No. 9.  It has petered out at Alternative Rock and Mainstream Rock radio.  And the Triple A airplay is nominally gaining, but the audience for those stations is very small (and there are only about 100 of them in the whole country, many of which are non-commercial).

It is frustrating how "modern rock" radio stations are basically oldies stations now that occasionally sprinkle in a song from the current year.  KROQ in L.A. used to count down the top 106 songs of the year at the end of the year.  By a couple of years ago, it was down to a top 25 because they played so few current songs.  Now there's no year-end countdown at all.  The sad thing is that they're just giving the audience what they want.  The average listener who grew up on the rock of the '90s doesn't have much interest in hearing anything new.   
    Yea but the mach 1 went to 1 million in a week. And the audio version had gone to a million before that. Mach 1 would probably be at 2 maybe 3 million by now. It took Mind Your Manners a long time to reach that. And that is a really good song.  Obviously it won't do Sirens numbers.
    It won't be played on Top 40. And most rock stations won't play it as much. It's hard for a band in their mid 50s to get that much airplay. So the fact it's  doing  anything  on radio is good. Unless they collaborate with the Post Malones or whoever. It would take all of us to stream the hell out of these songs. That's  what I really want to see. The streaming numbers
    I miss igotid88
  • radarradar Posts: 767
    Polish Radio LP3: 1st place (as of February 16th)
    https://www.polskieradio.pl/9,Trojka/340,LP3
  • igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Yea but the mach 1 went to 1 million in a week. And the audio version had gone to a million before that. Mach 1 would probably be at 2 maybe 3 million by now. It took Mind Your Manners a long time to reach that. And that is a really good song.  Obviously it won't do Sirens numbers.
    It won't be played on Top 40. And most rock stations won't play it as much. It's hard for a band in their mid 50s to get that much airplay. So the fact it's  doing  anything  on radio is good. Unless they collaborate with the Post Malones or whoever. It would take all of us to stream the hell out of these songs. That's  what I really want to see. The streaming numbers
    Spotify shows you how many times a song has been streamed. It's up to about 5 million on spotify which isn't bad. I'd venture to guess that there are less people in the average PJ fan age bracket using spotify than most other artists. Not sure how many people in their late 40s-50s are using spotify. So 5 million for a band like PJ isn't bad. In comparison I think Alive only has about 185 million streams on Spotify.  
    mshnayder said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Spotify shows you how many times a song has been streamed. It's up to about 5 million on spotify which isn't bad. I'd venture to guess that there are less people in the average PJ fan age bracket using spotify than most other artists. Not sure how many people in their late 40s-50s are using spotify. So 5 million for a band like PJ isn't bad. In comparison I think Alive only has about 185 million streams on Spotify.  
    Yea I know about Spotify 
    I miss igotid88
    Week 4 updates completed.
    Updated for all charts except Hot Rock Songs and Rock Digital Song Sales.

"Superblood Wolfmoon" added.
  • what dreamswhat dreams Posts: 1,758
    It's hard to believe the song was released five weeks ago. Where does time go?
    Update completed.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    I don't follow this stuff any more. It seems like Dance has petered out a bit? I don't expect SBWM to have any impact what so ever.

I am curious how Dance compares with other new music from PJ's contemporaries though? Could you give us some comparisons if you have the time?

Thanks!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I don't follow this stuff any more. It seems like Dance has petered out a bit? I don't expect SBWM to have any impact what so ever.

I am curious how Dance compares with other new music from PJ's contemporaries though? Could you give us some comparisons if you have the time?

Thanks!
    Green Day's single Oh Yeah which wasn't well received has gone up the charts. When it looked like it was also going to do nothing. But they've been promoting like crazy 
    I miss igotid88
    In its sixth week, Green Day's "Oh Yeah" moves up to No. 6 on the Alternative chart, No. 7 on the Mainstream Rock chart and No. 2 on Rock Airplay.  In its sixth week, "Clairvoyants" drops to No. 19 on Alternative, No. 26 Mainstream and No. 14 Rock Airplay.

There really isn't anyone else on the charts right now that is a "contemporary" of Pearl Jam's.  If you're talking about other rock bands with large fan bases, Coldplay's "Orphans" hit No. 1 on the Alternative chart and is still on the chart after 19 weeks.  If you consider the Strokes a "contemporary"-- albeit one that never had the commercial success of Pearl Jam or Coldplay-- their "Bad Decisions" is just impacting the charts now.
  • The song has steadily been climbing on AltNation on SiriusXM. This week it was #3. If you aren’t familiar with the station, they are notoriously way out(months) in front of alternative/alt rock long before songs hit local radio waves. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    BF25394 said:
    In its sixth week, Green Day's "Oh Yeah" moves up to No. 6 on the Alternative chart, No. 7 on the Mainstream Rock chart and No. 2 on Rock Airplay.  In its sixth week, "Clairvoyants" drops to No. 19 on Alternative, No. 26 Mainstream and No. 14 Rock Airplay.

There really isn't anyone else on the charts right now that is a "contemporary" of Pearl Jam's.  If you're talking about other rock bands with large fan bases, Coldplay's "Orphans" hit No. 1 on the Alternative chart and is still on the chart after 19 weeks.  If you consider the Strokes a "contemporary"-- albeit one that never had the commercial success of Pearl Jam or Coldplay-- their "Bad Decisions" is just impacting the charts now.
    I’m not even aware of Green Day’s new song. How have they been promoting it? Late night shows? 

Why the hell doesn’t PJ promote this song/upcoming album? I don’t get it. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 891
    I’m guessing because album sales are such a minimal percentage of an artists income that they’d probably rather just not. Do people still listen to the radio?