"Gigaton" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    I'm going by this

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,268
    5 Seconds of Summer isn't even listed on there.  I'm not sure where that data is coming from.

BuzzAngle is showing Pearl Jam at No. 7 in total consumption, down from the No. 5 projection the other day.

We'll know official information from Billboard/Soundscan tomorrow.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    5 Seconds of Summer isn't even listed on there.  I'm not sure where that data is coming from.

BuzzAngle is showing Pearl Jam at No. 7 in total consumption, down from the No. 5 projection the other day.

I think that's from brick and mortar stores. I don't believe they count digital
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Pearl Jam #5
    61,915 -- albums 55,316 track equivalent 569  streams 6,031 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    igotid88 said:
    Pearl Jam #5
    61,915 -- albums 55,316 track equivalent 569  streams 6,031 
    Dua Lipa having her album at 3.99 the final day definitely helped her get to #4
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

It doesn't make sense to me that 5SOS would not be among the top 50 in physical sales when it is the top-selling overall album.

One of the top trending things on Twitter right now is a push by these crazy teenagers to get Billboard to count the 5SOS sales as a result of early release by Ticketmaster on this week's chart.  The BTS Army has officially co-signed the effort.  I am sad that I know anything about this.  Note: their efforts will be futile.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

It doesn't make sense to me that 5SOS would not be among the top 50 in physical sales when it is the top-selling overall album.

One of the top trending things on Twitter right now is a push by these crazy teenagers to get Billboard to count the 5SOS sales as a result of early release by Ticketmaster on this week's chart.  The BTS Army has officially co-signed the effort.  I am sad that I know anything about this.  Note: their efforts will be futile.
    I know I'm following it on Twitter as well
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I wonder where Rolling Stone will have them on their chart? #7?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I just hope there's not a big drop off next week. At least get to a 100k
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I don't think there's any avoiding a big dropoff.  So much of the sales is front-loaded.  People who pre-ordered the album in January are the lion's share of the interested audience.  And it's exacerbated by the COVID situation (i.e., whatever first-week sales there might have been in a normal environment will be minuscule in an environment where few stores are open that carry records).
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Official:

Gigaton debuts at No. 5 on the Billboard 200 with 57,000 in total sales and 6,000 streaming-equivalents for a total of 63,000.  It will be No. 2 on Top Album Sales.  Of the 57,000 in total sales, 14,000 were vinyl, which is the second-largest total for any album in 2020, behind Tame Impala's The Slow Rush (26,000 in February).

No. 1 on Top Album Sales is 5 Seconds of Summer's Calm, with 113,000 in total sales and 133,000 in total units.  5SOS actually would have been No. 1 on the Billboard 200 with 144,000 if not for the Ticketmaster screwup.  Instead, the Weeknd remains at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 with 138,000.  Get ready for an army of teenagers to burn down Billboard's headquarters.

Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    This will be Pearl Jam's 38th Billboard 200th entry and 39th Top Album Sales entry
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Weird how they could be #1 on Amazon vinyl #3 and #1 on iTunes the whole week. Plus the (clean) version. Plus band's website preorders. And only sell 55k in albums.

I wonder if some of those Amazon orders didn't ship in time? Or do they count them anyway?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Even streaming was down last week overall 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Original post expanded and updated for charts for week ending April 11, 2020.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Nice to see both Dance and SBWM rise. Thought for sure Dance would re-enter the rock digital chart. And why isn't SBWM being played on Alternative stations?
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    It seems like the commercial Alternative stations only play about nine or ten new songs with any frequency these days.  They're basically '90s oldies stations.  It makes little sense to me that they keep spinning the same three songs from "Ten" thirty years later but are so resistant to playing new songs by the artists that made their format.  Although I guess they're just giving their audience what they want, which is sad.

It's interesting to see the Hot Rock Songs chart because it tells us which songs from the album are getting streamed the most.  Typically, when a new album comes out, the streaming figures more or less track the order of the the songs on the album, with the number of streams decreasing as you go from the first track to the last track (with exceptions for singles/radio tracks).  In this case, the first three singles, in order of release, are the most streamed, followed by track 1, but then tracks 11 and 6 are next.  It looks like a lot of people are skipping "Alright."
  • Options
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Maybe if that guy buys Gigaton this week, it will keep it from falling out of the top 100.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    Maybe if that guy buys Gigaton this week, it will keep it from falling out of the top 100.
    he'll most likely stream it
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    BillboardCharts
    This week's top 10 on the #Artist100:

1. @theweeknd (17th week at No. 1)
    3. @PearlJam (re-entry)
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Not in the top 20 for next week
    https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=320835
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I wasn't kidding about it falling out of the top 100.  The sales could drop by 90 percent, and there was already very little streaming.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    igotid88 said:
    That's normal isn't it?  For a veteran rock band?  All the diehards buy it the first week, then there's no one left to buy it in subsequent weeks.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    igotid88 said:
    That's normal isn't it?  For a veteran rock band?  All the diehards buy it the first week, then there's no one left to buy it in subsequent weeks.
    Yes. But you'd think there would be more diehards
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Like I said. Rollingstone has it at #7
    https://www.rollingstone.com/charts/albums/
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    Great album, too bad it wasn’t promoted more by a band with a 7 year layoff.
  • Options
    Billboard doesn't count bundles from 3rd party sites. So if you bought the shirt or hoodie with the download other than from here. It won't count 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    pjrusspjruss Posts: 455
    vedpunk said:
    Great album, too bad it wasn’t promoted more by a band with a 7 year layoff.
    Of course I have no way of knowing for sure, but I believe they were going to do a lot of promotion for the album until everything got shut down. 
    The Apollo show was being heavily promoted. 
    The billboards around the world with the album cover weeks ago. 
    They were going to be on tour, likely playing the new songs before the release. That hopefully would’ve gotten more casual fans interested in hearing the new album. 

Again, no way to say for sure, but I think there were big plans to promote this album.