Comments

• Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,321
    edited April 2020
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Guess having a #1 album in 4 different decades won't happen
    How do you know that?
    Well for now it won't. But usually sales drop the 2nd week by at least 50% if you're lucky.  They won't stream. Stores are still closed. There's a chance they could have an uptick once everything is back to normal and they play an SNL or something. 

This is for U.S.. It might be #1 in other countries 
    We are only in the first year of this decade.

More chances to be number 1.
    Obviously. But this album has been well received. And only managed 55-60k in its first week. I hope I'm wrong
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,261
    vedpunk said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Guess having a #1 album in 4 different decades won't happen
    How do you know that?
    Well for now it won't. But usually sales drop the 2nd week by at least 50% if you're lucky.  They won't stream. Stores are still closed. There's a chance they could have an uptick once everything is back to normal and they play an SNL or something. 
    Loving the album but I’m not surprised sales are so low due to COVID-19 and little to no promotion.  At least the friends I share the album with are really digging it too.
    They are promoting it. But it's not reaching the casual fan or possible new fans. But the streaming is what hurts
    Huge opportunity to hit the masses on late night tv and web concerts while so many people are trapped at home.  But that’s not their MO.
    Look at the percentages of who's watching till the end of late night talk shows. 

The youtube upload of the performance would still be the thing to get eyeballs. 
    The late night performance would put them in the news and on the internet and would be used as a marketing tool to get people to care and actually go to the YouTube video  (and possible pick up the album)
    I agree. The social media stuff was kinda cool. But when you're putting out your first album out in 7 years and do hardly no major press, what more do you expect? 

If they wanted to sell the album, they would've been on tv. I was hoping for a Stern interview as well. Obviously Corona happened, but they could've been doing things prior to the last few weeks. 

It's a shame. I was hoping for a number 1 album too. Weird time. Maybe the next one...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    One other factor in this is that it's not entirely clear whether the Ten Club reports its direct-to-members sales to Soundscan.  If the Ten Club does report its sales, I have trouble figuring how the total sales number would be as low as 50-55,000.  Many members of the Ten Club (including me) buy the album in two formats, CD and LP.  If there are 200,000 active members of the Ten Club, you would get to 50-55,000 if only 25-27.5 percent of members bought a copy-- and that's without selling a single copy at retail.  It would reflect an even smaller percentage considering that many Ten Club members buy two formats.

There are so few retailers who still sell albums that the impact of store shutdowns may be limited.  I suspect that the majority of retail sales are through online orders (e.g., Amazon).  Many independent record stores are not set up to report to Soundscan, so those sales won't be captured and, relatively speaking, they account for more and more of brick-and-mortar sales with Best Buy, Target and other big retailers shrinking their music departments.

I don't think there are anywhere near 200,000 active members...

The tenclub numbers are probably reflective of how many have ever been in the fanclub, not who is currently still in it...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,160
    BF25394 said:
    One other factor in this is that it's not entirely clear whether the Ten Club reports its direct-to-members sales to Soundscan.  If the Ten Club does report its sales, I have trouble figuring how the total sales number would be as low as 50-55,000.  Many members of the Ten Club (including me) buy the album in two formats, CD and LP.  If there are 200,000 active members of the Ten Club, you would get to 50-55,000 if only 25-27.5 percent of members bought a copy-- and that's without selling a single copy at retail.  It would reflect an even smaller percentage considering that many Ten Club members buy two formats.

There are so few retailers who still sell albums that the impact of store shutdowns may be limited.  I suspect that the majority of retail sales are through online orders (e.g., Amazon).  Many independent record stores are not set up to report to Soundscan, so those sales won't be captured and, relatively speaking, they account for more and more of brick-and-mortar sales with Best Buy, Target and other big retailers shrinking their music departments.

The tenclub numbers are probably reflective of how many have ever been in the fanclub, not who is currently still in it...

Right, but the Ten Club member numbers are in the 600,000s now.  So 200,000 active members was a guesstimate.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Late-night TV show appearances do not really move the needle all that much.  If Gigaton is going to end up 5,000 units behind 5SOS for No. 1 on Top Album Sales, then maybe a perfectly timed, high-profile appearance on a show with a relatively large audience like Saturday Night Live might have made up the difference-- but it wouldn't generate another 20,000 or 50,000 in sales.
  • Options
    mshnayder said:
    Another factor to consider for the Billboard charts is that these days most artists tie their albums to their concert ticket sales which obviously Pearl Jam doesn't do. So for instance, this past week a good portion of the Weeknd's album "sales" came from people who bought tickets to his concert and got the album free with it. 
    Not most.  Some.  Actually, very few.  But 5 Seconds of Summer is also benefiting from this (although they are simultaneously losing "first-week" sales because of street-date violations that pulled some sales forward into the week before release).

Was The Who album part of a ticket bundle?  Because that would go a long way toward explaining an otherwise surprisingly high first-week sales total?
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

That's what I wondered as well. Although some are overseas members and those don't count for U.S. sales. Also how many if any canceled orders on Amazon when they saw it wasn't coming in time or just needed that extra cash? Then again there are ten club members who didn't know there was a tour. Also people were scared off because of the price

No fooling.  I thought the $15.99 the Ten Club charged for the CD was high (not to mention $34.99 for the LP), but I picked up my "travel copy" at Target today and it was $17.99.  I have never paid that much for a single, standard CD in my entire life.  (I paid more than that for the most recent Tool CD, but that was a specialty package with a built-in video player.)
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,841
    BF25394 said:
    mshnayder said:
    Another factor to consider for the Billboard charts is that these days most artists tie their albums to their concert ticket sales which obviously Pearl Jam doesn't do. So for instance, this past week a good portion of the Weeknd's album "sales" came from people who bought tickets to his concert and got the album free with it. 
    Not most.  Some.  Actually, very few.  But 5 Seconds of Summer is also benefiting from this (although they are simultaneously losing "first-week" sales because of street-date violations that pulled some sales forward into the week before release).

Was The Who album part of a ticket bundle?  Because that would go a long way toward explaining an otherwise surprisingly high first-week sales total?
    The Who album was part of a ticket bundle. The CD was sent to me after I bought tickets to their show.

• Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

That's what I wondered as well. Although some are overseas members and those don't count for U.S. sales. Also how many if any canceled orders on Amazon when they saw it wasn't coming in time or just needed that extra cash? Then again there are ten club members who didn't know there was a tour. Also people were scared off because of the price

No fooling.  I thought the $15.99 the Ten Club charged for the CD was high (not to mention $34.99 for the LP), but I picked up my "travel copy" at Target today and it was $17.99.  I have never paid that much for a single, standard CD in my entire life.  (I paid more than that for the most recent Tool CD, but that was a specialty package with a built-in video player.)
    You obviously never bought one at Sam Goody or the like
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Sam Goody was the local record store at the mall in Brooklyn where I grew up, but when I was frequenting it in the early '80s, I was strictly buying LPs and 45s.  By the time I started buying CDs, I usually went to a place called Nobody Beats The Wiz where the typical prices were $7.99 LP and $11.99 CD (even though the typical "list price" for CDs was $18.98).  When I would occasionally get to Sam Goody in those later years, I was amazed to see what they were charging for CDs and wondered how The Wiz could sell them for so much less.

Sam Goody will always have a special place in my heart because, in an era when Billboard magazine was a mystical object that I had never actually seen in reality but heard about every week on America's Top 40 (and the TV show America's Top 10), Sam Goody would tear out the Hot 100 and post it on the wall next to the 45s.  I used to go in there and copy it down every chance I got in the early '80s.  I finally got my hands on a copy of Billboard in 1986 and it was revelatory.
  • Options
    I loved the Wiz. Bought so many cds (and Tower) and electronics there.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    HaijayHaijay Posts: 310
    I’M THE WIZ, I’M THE WIZ😂😂
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

Right, but the Ten Club member numbers are in the 600,000s now.  So 200,000 active members was a guesstimate.
    I don't think the number is anyhere near there (unless there are over 100k who forgot they have an auto payment lol). Lightning Bolt sold 160k in its first week and they were not all fan club members. So I doubt they haven gained hundreds of thousands of Ten Club members since then.

I'd bet the number is less than 50,000. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

I don't think the number is anyhere near there (unless there are over 100k who forgot they have an auto payment lol). Lightning Bolt sold 160k in its first week and they were not all fan club members. So I doubt they haven gained hundreds of thousands of Ten Club members since then.

There's an open question about whether direct Ten Club sales are reported to SoundScan, so 160,000 sales of Lightning Bolt might reflect only retail sales (including online retailers that report to Soundscan).  If so, the actual sales total wouldn't tell us anything about the membership of the Ten Club.Haijay said:
    And noooo-body beats me!
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

There's an open question about whether direct Ten Club sales are reported to SoundScan, so 160,000 sales of Lightning Bolt might reflect only retail sales (including online retailers that report to Soundscan).  If so, the actual sales total wouldn't tell us anything about the membership of the Ten Club.Haijay said:
    And noooo-body beats me!
    I have a hard time believing Ten Club sales won't report to soundscan. Wouldn't that be the same with other bands' fan clubs too then? Seems like an excuse to me...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    UK OFFICIAL CHARTS ~ Leads
    PHYSICAL SINGLES: #1 (DEBUT) | DANCE OF THE CLAIRVOYANTS, PEARL JAM | Weeks on Chart:1
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:
    BF25394 said:

And noooo-body beats me!
    I have a hard time believing Ten Club sales won't report to soundscan. Wouldn't that be the same with other bands' fan clubs too then? Seems like an excuse to me...
    I'm certainly not making any excuses.  I have no vested interest in this.  I am just offering an explanation for what seems to me to be a lower number than I would expect given what I know about the band's sales history and the size of its fan club.  Each fan club is its own entity.  Whether it makes the necessary arrangements to report sales will vary.  If the band doesn't care about chart placement, its fan club would have less incentive to report that data.

It's also unclear what the mechanism for reporting fan-club sales would be.  Soundscan generally captures data at the point of sale through UPC scans.  Soundscan has no way to audit self-reported data from an artist, as far as I know.
  • Options
    hsohihsohi Posts: 1,033
    Hard to compete with The Weekend as he did a surprise album drop and “ Escape From LA” is a killer track.

And now Drake dropped “Tootsie Slide” (which is blowing up Tik Toc and IG).. what can you do if your Pearl Jam?
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 821
    hsohi said:
    Hard to compete with The Weekend as he did a surprise album drop and “ Escape From LA” is a killer track.

And now Drake dropped “Tootsie Slide” (which is blowing up Tik Toc and IG).. what can you do if your Pearl Jam?
    You lead with Quick Escape and promote the hell out of it to radio, media and tv.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    hsohi said:

The Weeknd's album dropped a week earlier than Gigaton; the Drake song dropped a week later than Gigaton.  So PJ is competing against a weakened Weeknd (see what I did there) in his second week and not competing at all with Drake, at least for the first week.  (And "Tootsie Slide" is a single not contained on any album, so it will have no impact on the Billboard 200 or the Top Album Sales chart.  And the only radio stations that would even consider playing a new Pearl Jam song are rock stations, which don't have the audience of the top 40 stations that will play Drake.  There is nothing PJ can do to compete with Drake or the Weeknd in 2020 in terms of airplay or streaming.  No amount of promotion would change that.)  Having said that, a second-week Weeknd is still going to get streams that Pearl Jam will never get.  In terms of actual sales, Pearl Jam's first-week total will dwarf the Weeknd's second-week total.  The only act likely to outsell PJ this week is 5 Seconds of Summer.

Official numbers for the week from Friday through Thursday showed a total of 747,000 physical album sales in the U.S., which is the lowest total since the Soundscan era began in 1991 and a drop of 23.7 percent from last week.  That is definitely a function of the shutdown.  To put that total in perspective, Adele's 25 sold 3.4 million copies by itself during its first week of release in 2015.  All albums combined sold about one-fifth of that total in the past week.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I agree with everything BF2935 said. I guess my point was that we should be just happy PJ is still around, although the music has been nothing special lately. They can no longer compete head to head with new acts which is natural, happens to everyone.

Drake’s new song is a cultural phenomenon captivating youth and young adults. Drake can do no wrong and his numbers over the years prove it.
    London Ontario 2013, Buffalo New York 2013, Lincoln Nebraska 2014, Quebec City 2016
  • Options
    hsohi said:
    I agree with everything BF2935 said. I guess my point was that we should be just happy PJ is still around, although the music has been nothing special lately. They can no longer compete head to head with new acts which is natural, happens to everyone.

Drake’s new song is a cultural phenomenon captivating youth and young adults. Drake can do no wrong and his numbers over the years prove it.
    I don't get Drake. Everyone else yes. But not Drake 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Taking forever for the final numbers to come out
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 821
    Sorry but Drake blows.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    hsohi said:

I don't get Drake. Everyone else yes. But not Drake 
    His lyrics - witty
    His beats - catchy
    His vocal cadence - incredible 

I’m saying “his” but yes I know others are helping.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Apparently, the race for No. 1 between The Weeknd and 5 Seconds of Summer is very close and they are checking the numbers very closely.  Gigaton looks like it's headed for No. 5 on the Billboard 200 and No. 2 on Top Album Sales.

As for Drake, I truly do not get it.  Lyrics, voice, music-- none of it is interesting.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Apparently, the race for No. 1 between The Weeknd and 5 Seconds of Summer is very close and they are checking the numbers very closely.  Gigaton looks like it's headed for No. 5 on the Billboard 200 and No. 2 on Top Album Sales.

As for Drake, I truly do not get it.  Lyrics, voice, music-- none of it is interesting.
    Dua Lipa had her album selling for $3.99 yesterday on Amazon. That probably helped propel it past Gigaton 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I know Pearl Jam will be #1 in actual hold in your hand physical sales.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I don't know-- I saw some lunatic teenager on Twitter showing off about 27 physical copies of the 5SOS album that she bought.  She even bought about eight copies on cassette.