"Gigaton" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,460
    Zod said:
    igotid88 said:
    Not in the top 20 for next week
    https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=320835
    That's normal isn't it?  For a veteran rock band?  All the diehards buy it the first week, then there's no one left to buy it in subsequent weeks.
    It's normal for a chart that factors in streaming.  It was not the norm-- at least not to this extent-- when the chart measured only sales.  The album will not drop as precipitously on Top Album Sales next week as it will on the Billboard 200.  Having said that, nothing is normal right now so we should take most of these data with a grain of salt.  The first-week sales do tell us something because they reflect pre-orders, many of which were made before the shutdown.

And there is still this open question about whether direct sales from the Ten Club are being counted.  I have not been able to obtain any confirmation that they are included in the Soundscan totals.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    Billboard doesn't count bundles from 3rd party sites. So if you bought the shirt or hoodie with the download other than from here. It won't count 
    It's more complicated than that.  The sales count if the merch is also separately available and if the bundle is priced at least $3.49 higher than the merch is priced separately.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,472
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    Billboard doesn't count bundles from 3rd party sites. So if you bought the shirt or hoodie with the download other than from here. It won't count 
    It's more complicated than that.  The sales count if the merch is also separately available and if the bundle is priced at least $3.49 higher than the merch is priced separately.
    Yes. But from the bands site.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The Strokes are the next big rock band with a new album.  Let's see how they do? Their YouTube videos for their 1st 2 singles got more views than PJ's first 2
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 827
    edited April 2020
    igotid88 said:
    The Strokes are the next big rock band with a new album.  Let's see how they do? Their YouTube videos for their 1st 2 singles got more views than PJ's first 2
    Incorrect.  The combined videos for DOTC has more views (over 9 million) than ALL of the new Strokes videos combined.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    Incorrect.  The combined videos for DOTC has more views (over 9 million) than ALL of the new Strokes videos combined.
    Obviously if you include all 3. But I'm going by the original video when first released. The Strokes video reached a million faster. Both did. SBWM took almost 2 weeks to reach a million. 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    Obviously if you include all 3. But I'm going by the original video when first released. The Strokes video reached a million faster. Both did. SBWM took almost 2 weeks to reach a million. 
    The Strokes released two of their three new singles over a month ago so they've had plenty of time to hit more views.  Even though there are 3 DOTC videos, they still add up to much more than the Strokes.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    The Strokes released two of their three new singles over a month ago so they've had plenty of time to hit more views.  Even though there are 3 DOTC videos, they still add up to much more than the Strokes.
    No. Bad Decisions and At the Door were released after DOTC and had more views. At The Door was only released a week before SBWM and has over 3 million. SBWM has 1.8
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    No. Bad Decisions and At the Door were released after DOTC and had more views. At The Door was only released a week before SBWM and has over 3 million. SBWM has 1.8
    Wrong.  Please read again. I said The Strokes released two of their three new singles over a month ago and didn't come close to even matching DOTC combined video count.  Also, Pearl Jam has 1.25 million YouTube subscribers vs The Strokes which barely has 1 million so Pearl Jam wins again, from a popularity standpoint.  
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    Wrong.  Please read again. I said The Strokes released two of their three new singles over a month ago and didn't come close to even matching DOTC combined video count.  Also, Pearl Jam has 1.25 million YouTube subscribers vs The Strokes which barely has 1 million so Pearl Jam wins again, from a popularity standpoint.  
    Of course 3 videos are going to be more than 1. All videos were released close to each other. Hard to  say what DOTC's numbers would be if they didn't  have 3 videos. SBWM took awhile to get to a million. Quick Escape got to a million a little faster than SBWM. Both Strokes videos got to a million faster. The Strokes also have 2 official videos with over 130 million views. Pearl Jam just has 1 over 100 million.  Even Flow is close with 97+ million.

The point of the original post was to see how well they will do their first week on the chart.  Not about  who is a better or more popular band? They're just a big rock band of the last 20 years. So if they sell 100k their first week. It would say a lot about PJ fans not showing up the first week. But maybe they sell less
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    Of course 3 videos are going to be more than 1. All videos were released close to each other. Hard to  say what DOTC's numbers would be if they didn't  have 3 videos. SBWM took awhile to get to a million. Quick Escape got to a million a little faster than SBWM. Both Strokes videos got to a million faster. The Strokes also have 2 official videos with over 130 million views. Pearl Jam just has 1 over 100 million.  Even Flow is close with 97+ million.

The point of the original post was to see how well they will do their first week on the chart.  Not about  who is a better or more popular band? They're just a big rock band of the last 20 years. So if they sell 100k their first week. It would say a lot about PJ fans not showing up the first week. But maybe they sell less
    Sorry, you're wrong again.  DOTC (9.1 million) and SWWM (2.2 million) > Bad Decisions (4.3 million) and At the Door (3.6 million).  
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:

Sorry, you're wrong again.  DOTC (9.1 million) and SWWM (2.2 million) > Bad Decisions (4.3 million) and At the Door (3.6 million).  
    What part are you not getting that DOTC is 3 videos? So obviously combined it will be more. If The Strokes made 3 different videos for the same song they might have 13 million combined. SBWM official video is at 1.3 million. You're probably counting the audio video.
    Another example MYM which is a great song has 3.5 million for its official video after 6 and 1 /2 years. Sirens does have over 50 million.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    It's not a good comparison.  Many of the DOTC views will be "duplicate" views (i.e, the same person checking out each video once to see the visuals), in addition to unique users playing and replaying the video in order to hear the songs.  Thus, the aggregate total for the three DOTC videos is misleading.

I love the Strokes, but they never achieved anywhere near the level of popularity that Pearl Jam did.  Being a "big rock band" in the 2000s is damning with faint praise.  The Strokes' first album is their best seller; it's single-platinum.  Ten is 13 times platinum.  The Strokes' most recent album, released in 2013, debuted (and peaked) at No. 10 on the Billboard 200.  Pearl Jam's most recent album before Gigaton, released in 2013, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200.  Lightning Bolt sold more than twice as many copies in its first week than Comedown Machine has sold in six-and-a-half years since its release.

There's absolutely no way the Strokes sell 100,000 in a week.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    It's not a good comparison.  Many of the DOTC views will be "duplicate" views (i.e, the same person checking out each video once to see the visuals), in addition to unique users playing and replaying the video in order to hear the songs.  Thus, the aggregate total for the three DOTC videos is misleading.

I love the Strokes, but they never achieved anywhere near the level of popularity that Pearl Jam did.  Being a "big rock band" in the 2000s is damning with faint praise.  The Strokes' first album is their best seller; it's single-platinum.  Ten is 13 times platinum.  The Strokes' most recent album, released in 2013, debuted (and peaked) at No. 10 on the Billboard 200.  Pearl Jam's most recent album before Gigaton, released in 2013, debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200.  Lightning Bolt sold more than twice as many copies in its first week than Comedown Machine has sold in six-and-a-half years since its release.

There's absolutely no way the Strokes sell 100,000 in a week.
    No I don't think they will. But in terms of rock bands they're considered one of big recent ones. Not exactly comparing their size to Pearl Jam.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    one_stoneone_stone Posts: 291
    Gigaton is on Number 1 in the Austrian Album Charts:  https://oe3.orf.at/m/charts/stories/oe3austriatop40longplay/ That's their First number one album ever here in Austria if I'm not mistaken...
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Gigaton won't be in the top 50. Album at 50 "sold" 13290. So probably a 70-80% drop off?

https://m.hitsdailydouble.com/sales_plus_streaming
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:

What part are you not getting that DOTC is 3 videos? So obviously combined it will be more. If The Strokes made 3 different videos for the same song they might have 13 million combined. SBWM official video is at 1.3 million. You're probably counting the audio video.
    Another example MYM which is a great song has 3.5 million for its official video after 6 and 1 /2 years. Sirens does have over 50 million.
    Well, I hope you're doing your part to increase the views.  I've got 8 devices at my home playing all of the Gigaton videos on repeat all day long.  Also, a true fan purchases all form factors of the album to increase total sales.
    Post edited by vedpunk on
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:

Well, I hope you're doing your part to increase the views.  I've got 8 devices at my home playing all of the Gigaton videos on repeat all day long.  Also, a true fan purchases all form factors of the album to increase total sales.
    I am. I got the 10c cd/vinyl/digital, Amazon cd/digital, ordered from a record store online. And iTunes 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:

I am. I got the 10c cd/vinyl/digital, Amazon cd/digital, ordered from a record store online. And iTunes 
    Excellent work.  Now do it all over again.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:

I will. Not now though. I have to save. You do your part
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:

I'm purchasing 10 cheap Chromebooks for the sole purpose of playing Gigaton videos on repeat on YouTube all day long.  My house will be moving the needle.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:

I'm purchasing 10 cheap Chromebooks for the sole purpose of playing Gigaton videos on repeat on YouTube all day long.  My house will be moving the needle.
    Would be better if you streamed on Spotify or Apple music or both. I'm streaming on Spotify and Tidal
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The funny thing is that this sort of system-gaming (i.e., streaming farms) happens all the time, and Billboard turns a blind eye. 

I bought the CD and vinyl from the Ten Club, and another CD at Target.  I probably watched the various DOTC videos about 50 times because I don't use any streaming service, so that was my only way to hear the song before I got my hands on MP3s of the album eight days before official release.  (Shhh... don't tell anyone.)
  • Options

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Down to #66
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    No. 7 in Album Sales.

Original post updated for all charts except Top Vinyl Sales.
  • Options
    I'm guesstimating that it sold between 11-12k its second week
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I know that the No. 2 album on the sales chart sold 16,000 (Sam Hunt), so I would guess that Gigaton was under 10,000.
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,464
    This just makes me think of all the good music out there that never gets heard! 
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    I know that the No. 2 album on the sales chart sold 16,000 (Sam Hunt), so I would guess that Gigaton was under 10,000.
    No. 50 album sold about 13,000. The chart above had them drop about 81%. So going by that.
    I miss igotid88