Options

"Gigaton" and its tracks on the charts

Comments

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,268
    edited April 2020
    Yeah, but the amount of weight given to streaming on the Billboard 200 makes that a hard comparison. 

Ashley McBryde is No. 6 on Top Album Sales and she sold 9,895 per Hits Daily Double, which tends to slightly undercount versus Nielsen Soundscan (maybe 10 percent, which would put McBryde at around 10,800) so Gigaton, at No. 7 in Top Album Sales, is probably just over or just under 10,000.  The 5SOS album is No. 9 and HDD has it at 7,651, so call that 8,400.  Dua Lipa is No. 10 at 6,300 HDD (~7,000 Nielsen).  I can't find numbers for No. 8 (Testament).

For the record, The Weeknd sold 23,000 and is No. 1 in sales.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    edited April 2020
    BF25394 said:
    Yeah, but the amount of weight given to streaming on the Billboard 200 makes that a hard comparison. 

Ashley McBryde is No. 6 on Top Album Sales and she sold 9,895 per Hits Daily Double, which tends to slightly undercount versus Nielsen Soundscan (maybe 10 percent, which would put McBryde at around 10,800) so Gigaton, at No. 7 in Top Album Sales, is probably just over or just under 10,000.  The 5SOS album is No. 9 and HDD has it at 7,651, so call that 8,400.  Dua Lipa is No. 10 at 6,300 HDD (~7,000 Nielsen).  I can't find numbers for No. 8 (Testament).

For the record, The Weeknd sold 23,000 and is No. 1 in sales.
    Ashley McBryde is at 13,380. I'm talking overall 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    When you say "overall," you mean sales plus streams?  Because then we're definitely talking about two different things, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.  I'm only really interested in the sales numbers.  The way streams are tracked for the album chart is so contrived that I don't put much stock in it.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    BF25394 said:
    When you say "overall," you mean sales plus streams?  Because then we're definitely talking about two different things, and I apologize for the misunderstanding.  I'm only really interested in the sales numbers.  The way streams are tracked for the album chart is so contrived that I don't put much stock in it.
    Yea I know. I'm going by the Billboard 200. I know it's mostly skewed. Even though technically everyone has the same chance. So when they say so and so has the #1 album, they're talking about the Billboard 200

On a side note.  I miss getting weekly soundscan numbers from a member of this site. I think he stopped getting them so he stopped giving them. I just like that sort of stuff. I wish Billboard would provide the numbers. I mean TV provides numbers
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,285
    Unfortunately it feels like this album is DOA.  Could not be a worse time in recent memory to hope to sell something.  Hopefully when they finally get on the road, the album will get a boost.
  • Options
    mr bungle said:
    Unfortunately it feels like this album is DOA.  Could not be a worse time in recent memory to hope to sell something.  Hopefully when they finally get on the road, the album will get a boost.
    Hopefully they get a couple of Grammy nods. And I don't mean just Album Packaging. And I also don't wanna hear "they don't care or whatever". We know the story. Nevertheless I would like to see them acknowledge. Probably won't get Billboard, IHeart, or AMA nominations since those are based on sales, streams, and radio play.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:
    Yea I know. I'm going by the Billboard 200. I know it's mostly skewed. Even though technically everyone has the same chance. So when they say so and so has the #1 album, they're talking about the Billboard 200

On a side note.  I miss getting weekly soundscan numbers from a member of this site. I think he stopped getting them so he stopped giving them. I just like that sort of stuff. I wish Billboard would provide the numbers. I mean TV provides numbers
    Everyone has the same chance, but the Billboard 200 is measuring stuff that has nothing to do with album consumption.  Every 1,500 times "Blinding Lights," the Weeknd's No. 1 hit, gets streamed, it's treated as equivalent to an album sale.*  Repeated streams of a hit single are not album consumption.  So, you're right, when people talk about the "No. 1 album," they're generally talking about the Billboard 200, but the Billboard 200 is not really credible anymore because it's such a mish-mash.  Unfortunately, the Hot 100 has the same problems.

* The actual number of streams equivalent to a sale depends on the method of streaming. 1,500 is a representative number here for illustrative purposes.

I wish we had those Soundscan numbers.  I used to have access to them, too, but they're not as readily available anymore.  You have to triangulate to figure them out, and it's only even possible to do that for a small number of albums.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    mr bungle said:
    The way I figure it.  All the online people probably preordered it online, so those initials sales are all of our purchases.  People who would buy it at a brick and mortar store... it'll be a slow trickle for a while as those stores are closed, and ones they were open had a hard time obtaining copies on time.

I agree it was a pretty rough time to put an album on sale.
  • Options
    sparky_frysparky_fry Posts: 760
    I pre-ordered vinyl on Amazon but only got charged and shipped yesterday. Not sure how those are counted. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    BF25394 said:
    igotid88 said:
    BF25394 said:

Everyone has the same chance, but the Billboard 200 is measuring stuff that has nothing to do with album consumption.  Every 1,500 times "Blinding Lights," the Weeknd's No. 1 hit, gets streamed, it's treated as equivalent to an album sale.*  Repeated streams of a hit single are not album consumption.  So, you're right, when people talk about the "No. 1 album," they're generally talking about the Billboard 200, but the Billboard 200 is not really credible anymore because it's such a mish-mash.  Unfortunately, the Hot 100 has the same problems.

* The actual number of streams equivalent to a sale depends on the method of streaming. 1,500 is a representative number here for illustrative purposes.

I wish we had those Soundscan numbers.  I used to have access to them, too, but they're not as readily available anymore.  You have to triangulate to figure them out, and it's only even possible to do that for a small number of albums.
    I know about the streaming numbers. I've explained it here many times. That's why I've been trying to get people here and on fb to stream. I tried getting access to the Nielsen soundscan but it cost a lot
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    I wasn't suggesting that you don't know-- I'm just saying that the formula is nonsensical, so I don't put stock in that chart anymore.
  • Options
    The Strokes are projected to sell 32k. Just a follow up from my previous post
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    I wasn't suggesting that you don't know-- I'm just saying that the formula is nonsensical, so I don't put stock in that chart anymore.
    Yea I know. That's why I find it weird when they say sold when they include streaming
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 825
    igotid88 said:
    Just like I thought...A lot less than PJ.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    igotid88 said:
    Just like I thought...A lot less than PJ.
    Yea didn't say they would. But in terms of rock bands there aren't that many that are well known that are releasing new music with what is happening? So wondered how they would do?
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Alternative chart
    LW49 TW47 Up this week PEARL JAM Superblood Wolfmoon 176 168 8 Aud 0.216

Hopefully it makes it to the Billboard Alternative chart next week. Would put them 1 behind U2
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    Well I just bought a second CD so am doing my part!  :)
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    WMMR in Philly has been playing lots of tracks off Gigaton. Played Never Destination this AM and Comes Then Goes 2x in the last couple of days. Superblood Wolfmoon has been in regular rotation. 

This is the only terrestrial radio station I listen to anymore for rock music! 

https://wmmr.com/stream/WMMRFM/
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Has Quick Escape been played at radio yet?  I’m guessing it wasn’t a radio single which is a real shame.
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    Has Quick Escape been played at radio yet?  I’m guessing it wasn’t a radio single which is a real shame.
    Yes it has. But who knows why they're not playing it as much 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    The actual sales number for the Strokes ended up being 23,000 (35,000 including streaming equivalents), so less than half of Pearl Jam's sales total but double Pearl Jam's streaming total (12,000 to 6,000).
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    The actual sales number for the Strokes ended up being 23,000 (35,000 including streaming equivalents), so less than half of Pearl Jam's sales total but double Pearl Jam's streaming total (12,000 to 6,000).
    I figured they would stream more. I just didn't by how much? 
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    One comparison we didn't make before is to Green Day.  Their new album sold 42,000 in its first week in February, so Pearl Jam outsold them by about 30 percent despite the difficult sales environment in late March.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,159
    I guess those of us who buy albums are a dieing breed.  I often find myself being lazy and telling Alexa, play Gigaton!
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    One comparison we didn't make before is to Green Day.  Their new album sold 42,000 in its first week in February, so Pearl Jam outsold them by about 30 percent despite the difficult sales environment in late March.
    I think  I mentioned it here or on fb
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    T-Bone 82T-Bone 82 Posts: 398
    Sounds like Retrograde will start getting traction at AAA radio. 
    https://hitsdailydouble.com/mediabase_adds_details&fmt=R1
    #1 in adds this week with 5.
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    Does buying the album on itunes (or imusic, whatever) count for album sales? I assume the answer is yes but just wanted clarification. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    I'm guessing Quick Escape was never actively promoted to radio but only a pre album release single.  Retrograde is being marketed and pushed to radio.  An official video is being produced and will be out soon.
  • Options
    Does buying the album on itunes (or imusic, whatever) count for album sales? I assume the answer is yes but just wanted clarification. 
    Yes. Even buying each track separately. At least 10 would count as 1 album sale also

I miss igotid88
  • Options
    vedpunk said:
    I'm guessing Quick Escape was never actively promoted to radio but only a pre album release single.  Retrograde is being marketed and pushed to radio.  An official video is being produced and will be out soon.
    I believe it was played. But I don't know why they stopped playing it
    I miss igotid88