All things Transgender related

mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
seems to be a topic that deserves its own discussion.

Here ya go......
_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Comments

• ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    It seems to me that anti trans feelings existed before feminists. 
    mrussel1 said:
    I should have included the word “recent” in that sentence. 
    mrussel1 said:
    You do (perhaps unintentionally) raise an interesting point. Michel Foucault argued that homosexual (as an identity category--as opposed to homosexuality as a category of activity) didn't come into existence until the Victorian period. So, in essence, he claims there was no such thing as "a homosexual" before that time. I wonder if anyone has done a similar discursive archaeology of "transgender" (i.e., transgender man or transgender woman)? From a certain perspective, anti-trans feelings cannot predate the appearance of "transgender ____" as an identity category. Thus, the gap toward which you gesture may be shorter than you think. 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    edited January 2020
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You do (perhaps unintentionally) raise an interesting point. Michel Foucault argued that homosexual (as an identity category--as opposed to homosexuality as a category of activity) didn't come into existence until the Victorian period. So, in essence, he claims there was no such thing as "a homosexual" before that time. I wonder if anyone has done a similar discursive archaeology of "transgender" (i.e., transgender man or transgender woman)? From a certain perspective, anti-trans feelings cannot predate the appearance of "transgender ____" as an identity category. Thus, the gap toward which you gesture may be shorter than you think. 
    That may be.. perhaps because the activity was condemned in the Old Testament and punishable by death in many cultures, so I doubt many people were eager to attach that word to themselves, same with Trans which would be even more damning.  I'v never studied the etymology of the word myself.  
    brianlux said:
    Two minutes into a new thread and it goes negative.  Hmmm.  I guess some people just need to be negative, negative, negative.

Personally, I don't care what people want to be- straight, gay, bi, tri, transgender- whatever.  It's your body, nobody should have the right to say what you do with it.  What I don't understand is why people would go through medical procedures to alter their body- removing something, adding something.  Not that I don't think people should have the choice to do that- I just don't get it.  I guess it has something so do with me being a natural man.  I think being homosexual is natural.  I don't think having a penisectomy is.
    Who got negative? I mean, the end of your post is pretty offensive, but I didn’t see anything before that. 
    mrussel1 said:
    ecdanc said:
    mrussel1 said:
    That may be.. perhaps because the activity was condemned in the Old Testament and punishable by death in many cultures, so I doubt many people were eager to attach that word to themselves, same with Trans which would be even more damning.  I'v never studied the etymology of the word myself.  
    I think it’s a little more than that. It was quite literally unthinkable to conceive of one’s self as as possessing these identities before the discourse produced them. 
    edited January 2020
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    Two minutes into a new thread and it goes negative.  Hmmm.  I guess some people just need to be negative, negative, negative.

Personally, I don't care what people want to be- straight, gay, bi, tri, transgender- whatever.  It's your body, nobody should have the right to say what you do with it.  What I don't understand is why people would go through medical procedures to alter their body- removing something, adding something.  Not that I don't think people should have the choice to do that- I just don't get it.  I guess it has something so do with me being a natural man.  I think being homosexual is natural.  I don't think having a penisectomy is.
    Who got negative? I mean, the end of your post is pretty offensive, but I didn’t see anything before that. 

Why do you categorize my personal feelings as offensive when all I said was how I personally see something?  I didn't say anything should be prohibited.  I have two friends who are transgender and going through physical changes.  I care a lot for these people and would stand up for them 100%.  I just don't understand what they are doing.  Sorry you're offended.
    Because of your use of the word “natural.”
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Ah, so NOW it turned negative. Really, in reading through the first posts, all seemed fine. 

Oh well. Looking forward to reading more of this thread...I guess ;)
    hedonist said:
    Ah, so NOW it turned negative. Really, in reading through the first posts, all seemed fine. 

Oh well. Looking forward to reading more of this thread...I guess ;)
    I know, right? First page and someone already implying that transitioning trans people are “unnatural.” Sheesh. 
    Well, my feelings on that may differ from yours but I sure as shit won’t vilify you for them. 
    Gah! My bottom line is typically: your life, your choices, your feelings...just leave the innocents, children and animals alone!

I can adapt. 
    edited January 2020

brianlux said:
    ^^^  Nobody vilified anyone... except maybe you as per the usual.
    Really? That’s unnecessary (to me, anyway). 

Well, a happy Sunday to you. 
    edited January 2020

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    read Laura Jane Grace's book. she goes in-depth about gender dysphoria and her transition. good read.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:

Why do you categorize my personal feelings as offensive when all I said was how I personally see something?  I didn't say anything should be prohibited.  I have two friends who are transgender and going through physical changes.  I care a lot for these people and would stand up for them 100%.  I just don't understand what they are doing.  Sorry you're offended.

Like I said, I think homosexuality is natural.  And it is.  But unless you are a wild animal with it's leg caught in a trap, removing a part of one's body is not natural.  That's just simple fact.  Can you deal with that?  Why would that be deemed offensive?
    Repeating yourself doesn’t make it less offensive. 
    hedonist said:
    Well, my feelings on that may differ from yours but I sure as shit won’t vilify you for them. 
    Am I the vilifier or the vilified here?
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:

Like I said, I think homosexuality is natural.  And it is.  But unless you are a wild animal with it's leg caught in a trap, removing a part of one's body is not natural.  That's just simple fact.  Can you deal with that?  Why would that be deemed offensive?
    You also might want to check with cancer patients. 
    edited January 2020

brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:

OK, I get it.  You just want to dance.  No thanks, I'm out.
    Nope. Just want to point out that your certainty you aren’t being offensive has little to do with how offensive you’re being. You’re calling trans people unnatural, which is linked quite directly to a long historical line of prejudice. 

edited January 2020

brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:
    ecdanc said:
    brianlux said:

OK, I get it.  You just want to dance.  No thanks, I'm out.
    Nope. Just want to point out that your certainty you aren’t being offensive has little to do with how offensive you’re being. You’re calling trans people unnatural, which is linked quite directly to a long historical line of prejudice. 

I guess you missed the point about my having two friends who are trans, both of whom I would defend 100%.  But you just want to argue and berate me which, although that doesn't hurt my feelings, leaves me with the sense that this is useless and pointless.  I won't go around in circles with you.

OK, sorry, I did say I'm done, so have the last word and I'm outta here.
    I understand if you don't want to engage, so I'll just post this response more for others who might come across this thread. For centuries, religious, scientific, and political discourses have used the label "unnatural" as a method for dehumanizing marginalized peoples. At its core, this discursive move locates the "unnatural" individual has one who a) quite literally should not exist; or b) should not be permitted to do certain things (e.g., miscegenation laws; sodomy laws; etc.). So, while I do believe you care for your trans friends, I'd like to think that you--and others in the same position--can move beyond embracing the marginalized people you know, to consider the implications of what you say and do for those you don't know. Because there's a great deal of hate directed at trans people these days and, while I do not necessarily think you purposefully engage in that hate, your speech/views here are linked quite explicitly to the speech/views of those who do. 
    ecdanc said:
    hedonist said:
    Am I the vilifier or the vilified here?
    Vilification-free zone here =)

And for what it's worth (disclaimer:  un-brian related!), I like the gist of your last post.  I knew a fella years ago who was beginning the transition...this was the late '80's, with all of the prejudices and vitriol toward those with AIDS...so there was much misunderstanding - or, rather, a kind of unwillingness to try to understand.

It broke my heart.

• SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,392
    edited January 2020
    UBC trains teachers to deliver a renewed curriculum inclusive of SOGI - sexual orientation and gender identity - as well as instructions not to use the words 'boys' and 'girls'.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I have a cousin who son has transitioned into a female...I was at a funeral and I thought she was his daughter...he has a daughter and son...now 2 daughters.  Al I can say is she was quite stunning.  No one would ever know she used to be a he...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I have a cousin who son has transitioned into a female...I was at a funeral and I thought she was his daughter...he has a daughter and son...now 2 daughters.  Al I can say is she was quite stunning.  No one would ever know she used to be a he...
    She is his daughter. 
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    ecdanc said:
    She is his daughter. 
    Dude you continue to go around and try to find fault with others.  Read it again.  He called her his daughter.  His first statement was going from the standpoint of what he knew before that...that the guy had a daughter and a son. 

"now 2 daughters".... he was respectful.  No need to go around and try to catch people making small errors, especially when it's not even true.
    hippiemom = goodness