Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    does the isolation table make a diff?
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    edited December 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    does the isolation table make a diff?
    havent listened through the headphones yet which was my primary reason for getting it.
    I will say yes anyway, as I tapped on the
    vintage wood stand while playing a record and didnt hear that through the speakers...

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Nicely done!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    dudeman said:
    Nicely done!
    who, me?

thank you.....

been on a tear ordering vinyl. even picked up a few cassettes for stupid cheap....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited December 2019
    updated picture. wall space above right speaker will have a print my wife got me for our anniversary once I get it framed. 100 Pearl Jam Songs.
    left to right top to bottom. Components all Onkyo. Tuner. Receiver, Dual Cassette. Turntable , Auralex Acoustics Isolation Table , New 6 Disc Changer. Vinyl pictured Pearl Jam Self Pollution Radio 95. 45 on the shelf above system is a record my dad did in the late 60s early 70s. He's the drummer on it.

Post edited by mickeyrat on

Nice setup mick!
    edited January 2020
    A little scratchy scratchy means the deoxit comes out...
    Oh man. Fun times. That double volume pot can be tricky. 

Great receiver, BTW.
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.
    The filter switches in the middle were a pain because the board that’s right in the center.  Hit it all with the gold at the end too.  So far so good.
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.
    The filter switches in the middle were a pain because the board that’s right in the center.  Hit it all with the gold at the end too.  So far so good.
    I use Gold, too. It seems to lengthen the time between cleanings for sure.

My biggest culprits for noise and channel dropping on the 22XX series amps have been the speaker selector switches and the volume control. As a matter of habit, I just clean everything while I'm in there.

It's a pretty rewarding part of the whole audio hobby, isn't it?
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

My biggest culprits for noise and channel dropping on the 22XX series amps have been the speaker selector switches and the volume control. As a matter of habit, I just clean everything while I'm in there.

Oh man, I don't know if that's true with the Marantz.  I have it in a Pathewings case, which is a total PITA to pull apart.  And the pots are not easy to get to because of where the board is mounted.  My SX-780 is MUCH easier to dig into for a whole hosts of reasons.  What's really amazing to me though, is that the two receivers are about equal power, but the Marantz is easily 30% heavier.  It is just a beast.  

On the purchase front, I just bought a used Topping D30 DAC on ebay for 60 bucks.  This is a highly regarded DAC that is really inexpensive.  It handles DSD and 32 bit.  So I'm excited to see how this sounds with the Marantz
  • mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Oh man, I don't know if that's true with the Marantz.  I have it in a Pathewings case, which is a total PITA to pull apart.  And the pots are not easy to get to because of where the board is mounted.  My SX-780 is MUCH easier to dig into for a whole hosts of reasons.  What's really amazing to me though, is that the two receivers are about equal power, but the Marantz is easily 30% heavier.  It is just a beast.  

On the purchase front, I just bought a used Topping D30 DAC on ebay for 60 bucks.  This is a highly regarded DAC that is really inexpensive.  It handles DSD and 32 bit.  So I'm excited to see how this sounds with the Marantz
    Shouldn't the Marantz have a dac built in or is it a vintage model?
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

It's a 2245, built in 71.  All analog glory... 
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Yes it is!

I'm wondering if I get my old Pioneer redone or just buy new?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Yes it is!

Is it non-functioning?  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Yes it is!

Is it non-functioning?  
    Channel went out.  I'm using a borrowed Onkyo right now.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Yes it is!

Is it non-functioning?  
    Dudeman's your knowledge resource for this, but I would certainly clean all the pots and switches with some deoxit to see if it brings it back to life.  That's an easy fix.  After that, you'll get into recaps, transistors and such.  Unless it's one of the big dogs like a 1080 or 1280, it may not be worth it to invest a few hundred bucks.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Yes it is!

Is it non-functioning?  
    Dudeman's your knowledge resource for this, but I would certainly clean all the pots and switches with some deoxit to see if it brings it back to life.  That's an easy fix.  After that, you'll get into recaps, transistors and such.  Unless it's one of the big dogs like a 1080 or 1280, it may not be worth it to invest a few hundred bucks.  
    9800II
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Yes it is!

Is it non-functioning?  
    9800II
    Oh shit... that's a big dog.  Yeah, you're in kind of a tricky spot of whether to fix or not.  
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Yes it is!

Is it non-functioning?  
    9800II
    Oh shit... that's a big dog.  Yeah, you're in kind of a tricky spot of whether to fix or not.  
    Is it just one channel? It might just need a fuse?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Yes it is!

Is it non-functioning?  
    9800II
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Yes it is!

Is it non-functioning?  
    9800II
    Not sure whats wrong.  I don't want to start going down the rabbit hole of diagnosing the problem.  I know enough about electrical to wire a house, not a stereo...
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Yes it is!

Is it non-functioning?  
    9800II
    Not sure whats wrong.  I don't want to start going down the rabbit hole of diagnosing the problem.  I know enough about electrical to wire a house, not a stereo...
    Yeah I hear you.  It's too nice of a stereo not to at least clean the pots.  That's very easy to do, and you can't really f that up unless you spray a whole can into one pot...if even then.  I'd at least give that a try to start. 
    If you're not looking to get in there yourself, most electronics repair shops have a pretty reasonable bench fee to diagnose issues. Our local guys charges $35.00.

IMO, it's too nice a unit to not try. Even if it needs a full/partial recap, I would drop the coin to have it done. That's a really nice piece of kit.

Good advice above, too. Cleaning pots, switches and jacks is pretty easy and it's good to know how to do the basic things yourself. That can save you a ton of money. Checking the fuses only requires a meter to check continuity, same as you would use checking circuits in a house. 

If you decide to tackle it on your own, I'd be happy to walk you through it via PM.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Great receiver, BTW.

Yeah, I forgot about your badass case. That changes things. Those earlier Marantz units are definitely trickier than some others, too. The later models at least have plug connectors so removing boards doesn't require cutting wires or desoldering anything. 

Still worth it to me though. Those 2245s were amazing both in build and performance. Everything sounds good through mine, even paired with average, consumer grade speakers. 

So I just starting using this DAC with the Marantz.  I picked it up used for only 60 bucks, retail is a modest $120.  And I have to tell you it's about the best DAC I've heard under $500.  It's far superior than the Yamaha WX-50 that I've used, and every other internal DAC on my Pioneers, Yamahas, etc.  I have it connected through USB, using the WASAPI output on JRiver, so it's a bit perfect stream to the Topping.  It plays DSD and quality of 24bit and I believe 192khz.  Anyway, the extension and bass is so great.  Nothing is vinyl, but this is pretty damn good. It's been highly rated from everyone.  Inputs are optical, USB and Coaxial, output are unbalanced analog.  They have more models with digital fronts, dual dacs, balanced outputs, etc.  I wanted to just try out the product and am very happy.  

Anyways, for those with vintage systems looking for a DAC, it's a good inexpensive product.  I listen to digital 5% of the time, so I didn't want to spend too much.  
    Rescued today. Has a Grado cart!

Functions well. I just need to figure out the tracking and antiskate settings for the cart. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Also rescued this. 

Works perfectly. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Also rescued this. 

Works perfectly. 

You got that NAD for free?  80's?
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    Also rescued this. 

Works perfectly. 

You got that NAD for free?  80's?
    Yes, looked it up. 1988. A little crackle at the beginning in the right channel, but it clears up pretty fast. 

And the remote control will pretty much only turn the thing on and off. I tried to use it for volume. The receiver registered the IR signal (indicator light), but it didn’t raise or lower the volume at all. But I’ve never had a remote control for a receiver anyway. So no big whoop. 

I think the TT is from the same era. That thing just has a cosmetic issue on the bottom of the plinth (chipped corner); other than that, it’s perfect—at least so far. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Rescued today. Has a Grado cart!

Functions well. I just need to figure out the tracking and antiskate settings for the cart. 
    Nice!