Options

Post your stereo system!

Comments

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    Thinking about selling this little bad boy. My Pioneer SX-636, this thing is as mint as you can get. Kinda leary about shipping though, might have to put it up on Craigslist. I'm not even sure what it's worth. It uses the old speaker connectors.
    This is like a $200 piece.  It'll cost 1/2 that to ship.

It's a nice system if you don't need to push big speakers.
    www.classicreceivers.com
    values page shows recent sales...

Yeah, I looked on ebay too and saw sold 200, 225, 185.  Not sure what those are?  There are a few w BIN working for all under $275.

Paying any more than $300 for this model is overpaying.

Thanks fellas for all of the info!  Yeah, I was going to ask $300-$275.
    I might know a guy in MI who might be interested. I'll talk to him and PM you. 

I really appreciate that!  Thank you!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,621
    Every few years I get antsy and start tinkering.  Today I made a change.  I've been collecting gear for 20+ years and sometimes it sits. In this case,  my Poineer sx750 has been in a closet for several years.  My Marantz has been on the 3rd floor where I used to hang out when my kids were young.  Two are out of the house now,  so I hadn't used the Marantz in months.  
    So then I had an epiphany.  I decided to insert this little amp  selector into the chain.  It allows 2 amps to connect to one (or two) sets of speakers.  And fortunately my phono stage has both balanced and unbalanced outputs. 
    So now I can choose whether to listen to the more refined,  neutral and revealing McIntosh setup, or the looser and warmer Marantz. The latter is better for records that may not be as well engineered or pressed.  
    Got it all up and running today and enjoying the Marantz again.  
    I also put the Pioneer up on the third floor and it's connected to my Pro-ject and some big B&W towers.  So nice to have that drier sound again too! 

Pics..

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,970
    mrussel1 said:
    Every few years I get antsy and start tinkering.  Today I made a change.  I've been collecting gear for 20+ years and sometimes it sits. In this case,  my Poineer sx750 has been in a closet for several years.  My Marantz has been on the 3rd floor where I used to hang out when my kids were young.  Two are out of the house now,  so I hadn't used the Marantz in months.  
    So then I had an epiphany.  I decided to insert this little amp  selector into the chain.  It allows 2 amps to connect to one (or two) sets of speakers.  And fortunately my phono stage has both balanced and unbalanced outputs. 
    So now I can choose whether to listen to the more refined,  neutral and revealing McIntosh setup, or the looser and warmer Marantz. The latter is better for records that may not be as well engineered or pressed.  
    I also put the Pioneer up on the third floor and it's connected to my Pro-ject and some big B&W towers.  So nice to have that drier sound again too! 

Pics..

Beautiful! Glad you're able to enjoy the Marantz and Pioneer again. It's almost a shame to have good, vintage gear just sitting idle. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    edited February 2023
    mrussel1 said:

Pics..

Two awesome systems! I would love to hear them. 
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

Pics..

Two awesome systems! I would to hear them. 
    If you're ever in Richmond, you're more than welcome to visit. 
  • Options
    What are you using for speakers with your McIntosh/Marantz system?
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    Dynaudio Evoke 20. They are prefect size for the room that's about 20x10. Also have a 10" PSB sub with it for just a touch of extra oomph.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    Dynaudio Evoke 20. They are prefect size for the room that's about 20x10. Also have a 10" PSB sub with it for just a touch of extra oomph.

Nice speakers! 

I'm a big fan of the benefits of adding a sub to help with the low end, too. As long as you set the x-over correctly, you can really open up the capabilities of your mains and the transition between the sub and speakers is seamless. 
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Nice speakers! 

I'm a big fan of the benefits of adding a sub to help with the low end, too. As long as you set the x-over correctly, you can really open up the capabilities of your mains and the transition between the sub and speakers is seamless. 
    Yes, it makes a difference.  I really like this PSB because it has high level inputs AND outputs so you can use the built in crossover to support where you want it based on your preference and speaker size.  This is great for the vintage gear so I can stick put the sub in front of the speakers rather than having the signal terminate there.  It has the digital input of course, but it's becoming more unusual to have the proper high level inputs.   
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Nice speakers! 

Yes, it makes a difference.  I really like this PSB because it has high level inputs AND outputs so you can use the built in crossover to support where you want it based on your preference and speaker size.  This is great for the vintage gear so I can stick put the sub in front of the speakers rather than having the signal terminate there.  It has the digital input of course, but it's becoming more unusual to have the proper high level inputs.   
    Yeah man. It's really too bad that hi-level inputs and outputs are disappearing from newer subs.

I have been using a Klipsch powered sub with my Klipsch bookshelf speakers for years and I have it set up like your system. It's great to be able to effectively integrate a powered sub with a vintage receiver. Right now, I'm using the Marantz 2215b in that system. Having the sub handle everything below 100 hz frees up the Marantz to make the most of its 15 wpc for the mids and highs.

It's funny when I have people over and play that system for them. Most are stunned when I tell them that the Marantz is so low powered. The sub acts like a supercharger and really helps to fill the space.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,676
    getting impatient for March 10. We receive the second profit sharing check. That will be used to get the marantz......

2250b is still up. as is the 2252b....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    getting impatient for March 10. We receive the second profit sharing check. That will be used to get the marantz......

Either of those should be worth the wait. Are you going to pick up the B&W speakers too?
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Nice speakers! 

Yeah man. It's really too bad that hi-level inputs and outputs are disappearing from newer subs.

I have been using a Klipsch powered sub with my Klipsch bookshelf speakers for years and I have it set up like your system. It's great to be able to effectively integrate a powered sub with a vintage receiver. Right now, I'm using the Marantz 2215b in that system. Having the sub handle everything below 100 hz frees up the Marantz to make the most of its 15 wpc for the mids and highs.

It's funny when I have people over and play that system for them. Most are stunned when I tell them that the Marantz is so low powered. The sub acts like a supercharger and really helps to fill the space.
    I think the amount of power those 70s amps can make at "low" wpc is stunning in general.  I can't get either vintage past a quarter, especially with any speaker that is marginally efficient.  It's crazy. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Nice speakers! 

I think the amount of power those 70s amps can make at "low" wpc is stunning in general.  I can't get either vintage past a quarter, especially with any speaker that is marginally efficient.  It's crazy. 
    Agreed. Most of the speakers I own are efficient and the 2215b is plenty for the levels I usually listen.

The one exception is the Cerwin-Vegas. They get plenty loud with 15 wpc but that amp doesn't have the current capability or damping factor to control the 12" woofers very well. The bass is pretty loose and muddy unless the amp is up to the challenge. The 2245 and 2275 are much better matches for those speakers.

The power ratings were much more helpful back then compared to the numbers manufacturers claim nowadays. It seems dishonest to market an amp as 100 wpc when it is rated to make that amount of power, at a very narrow frequency for a very short amount of time. 

I'd take a 40-50 wpc amp from the 70's over just about any consumer grade 100 wpc amp made now.
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

Either of those should be worth the wait. Are you going to pick up the B&W speakers too?

if the 2250b is still available was going to offer 1300 for the set, maybe. asking 900 for 2250b and 700 for the b&w's.

my onkyo 4 ways are really good sounding to me so.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

if the 2250b is still available was going to offer 1300 for the set, maybe. asking 900 for 2250b and 700 for the b&w's.

What are the B&Ws?

• Options
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:

Nice speakers! 

Agreed. Most of the speakers I own are efficient and the 2215b is plenty for the levels I usually listen.

The one exception is the Cerwin-Vegas. They get plenty loud with 15 wpc but that amp doesn't have the current capability or damping factor to control the 12" woofers very well. The bass is pretty loose and muddy unless the amp is up to the challenge. The 2245 and 2275 are much better matches for those speakers.

The power ratings were much more helpful back then compared to the numbers manufacturers claim nowadays. It seems dishonest to market an amp as 100 wpc when it is rated to make that amount of power, at a very narrow frequency for a very short amount of time. 

I'd take a 40-50 wpc amp from the 70's over just about any consumer grade 100 wpc amp made now.
    Power ratings are just about useless, especially when talking about AVRs.  They are so full of crap.  

The one exception I have is I have an Outlaw 5000 which is a five channel amplifier.  It has five separate tordial transformers so everything is isolated.  It is rated at 120 into 8 ohms ALL CHANNELS DRIVEN, which is the proper evaluation these days.  It's 180 into 4 ohms.  I use it for the Yamaha AVR, which never gets used because my wife hates watching loud movies.  It's annoying AF.  

For those out there, internet brands such as Emotiva and Outlaw really make excellent products for the price point.  You get great deals by cutting out the retailer completely.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

What are the B&Ws?

DM 640's?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

What are the B&Ws?

DM 640's?
    Wow, nice.  Those probably sound like my 683s. Big sound,  full range,  and if you like that English sound (I do!), they will be great.  Good luck. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

What are the B&Ws?

DM 640's?
    Wow, nice.  Those probably sound like my 683s. Big sound,  full range,  and if you like that English sound (I do!), they will be great.  Good luck. 

define that. "English Sound"

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

What are the B&Ws?

DM 640's?

Typically flat response, neutral, laid back. Many use a soft done tweeter which I prefer. I get listening fatigue with some speakers,  but not B&W, KEF or Dyn (which is Danish I think,  but the sound is similar). 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

What are the B&Ws?

DM 640's?

Typically flat response, neutral, laid back. Many use a soft done tweeter which I prefer. I get listening fatigue with some speakers,  but not B&W, KEF or Dyn (which is Danish I think,  but the sound is similar). 

huh. well dude is willing to test drive them so......

• Options
    honest opinion. Am I offering a fair price for either or? ask for 2250b is 9 down from 1k. going to offer 8 by itself or 750 as a part of the pair.

b&w ask is 700. offer would be 550 as part of the pair.

now I still want to see what my local repair has available if anything in marantz.

so if my shop has something and at a decent price, do I go for the speakers alone....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    honest opinion. Am I offering a fair price for either or? ask for 2250b is 9 down from 1k. going to offer 8 by itself or 750 as a part of the pair.

now I still want to see what my local repair has available if anything in marantz.

so if my shop has something and at a decent price, do I go for the speakers alone....
    The speakers are probably 20 years old.  What is the shape of the cabinets, tweeters, foam,  etc? 

And to be clear,  you're offering 1300 on an original ask of 1750?
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

The speakers are probably 20 years old.  What is the shape of the cabinets, tweeters, foam,  etc? 

1300 from 1600. from the pictures they look to be in very good condition  and he is willing to demo both.will ask for cabinet pics has the grills too.

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

1300 from 1600. from the pictures they look to be in very good condition  and he is willing to demo both.will ask for cabinet pics has the grills too.

That doesn't seem unreasonable.  I bet those speakers were about 1600 new, so 40% of retail, in excellent condition, seems right.  Offering 13 and paying 14 doesn't seem terrible either.  You'll have a nice setup, especially with that Dual that I think you have. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

What you are proposing doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I guess it depends on how quickly the seller wants to get that gear out of his place.

Also, I suspect that you will like the B&Ws. They look clean in the picture. I think you'll find them to be more detailed and refined than your Onkyo speakers. 

Do you have a dedicated listening space where you can position them for optimal performance?
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

What you are proposing doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I guess it depends on how quickly the seller wants to get that gear out of his place.

Also, I suspect that you will like the B&Ws. They look clean in the picture. I think you'll find them to be more detailed and refined than your Onkyo speakers. 

Do you have a dedicated listening space where you can position them for optimal performance?

they would be in the same position as the onkyo's are in in that crudely drawn picture. set in the corners projecting inwards to the center of that bump out space. approx 9x10

am about 10 days away from one influx of cash.

items have been up at least 3 weeks at this point.

• Options

• Options
    edited March 2023
    see what I am doing is torturing myself....

dude is firm at 900 on the 2250b.

he's got a plan to replace with a pioneer sx980 and wants some vintage jbl l100's a buddy has to sell him.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on