Options

Post your stereo system!

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,800
    ^^^^^^^ Thanks mickeyrat!!!!

welcome. dumbluck find last night investigating Marantz models.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    You can look at Reverb as well,  but those always seemed over priced to me. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,976
    mrussel1 said:
    No kidding! Some of the listings for 2275s are ludicrous. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,040
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    No kidding! Some of the listings for 2275s are ludicrous. 
    Yes,  Reverb prices are a joke!  There's a Pioneer SX-636 listed for $800.  It looks like it was listed over a year ago.
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Alright. After spending some time with the 2275 and listening to a lot of music, I have come to the conclusion that it might be the most addictive piece of stereo gear I've had. 

I am finding myself rushing to get home from the office and spending probably too much time listening to records and CDs.

It does a remarkable job of straddling the line between "too much detail" and "everything has the same coloring", if that makes sense. Music just sounds "right" with this thing.

Even with my consumer grade speakers, I can't think of a single thing that I want to change in this system. 
  • Options
    ^^^^^ Congratulations dudeman!!!!
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    sooo, what did you pay for it? pm please if you dont want to say out loud.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    All together, I have about $800 invested in it. It had a couple problems so I bought it in as-is condition. I did the repairs myself so that probably saved me a few hundred dollars. Parts are relatively inexpensive in the overall scheme of things. 
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    All together, I have about $800 invested in it. It had a couple problems so I bought it in as-is condition. I did the repairs myself so that probably saved me a few hundred dollars. Parts are relatively inexpensive in the overall scheme of things. 
    right, if that's in cosmetically good shape (as it appeared to be), then you got yourself a great deal since you can repair yourself.  Nice!  
  • Options
    we have a repair shop here that also sells refurb units. waiting til I have the ready cash before I go in. hopefully they aren'tbading off of ebay or reverb pricing, just fucking ridiculous....

oth do I REALLY need this?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    we have a repair shop here that also sells refurb units. waiting til I have the ready cash before I go in. hopefully they aren'tbading off of ebay or reverb pricing, just fucking ridiculous....

What is your receiver/pre amp/stereo today that you are using?
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

Prices will likely continue to go up for desirable, vintage units. There are only so many available and supply and demand is what it is, unfortunately. If you can find a clean example that has been restored by a competent tech, it should be good for years or decades but it will cost more. 

There are still some units that I come across that look to be in good shape but they are still original. Those can be good investments since you can usually haggle on price due to them needing service or restoration. (That is how I have gotten pretty much all of my gear.)

If you're handy with tools and willing to learn, fixing this old stuff is fun and rewarding. 

Whether or not you NEED it? That depends on what you're looking to do. IME, these old Marantz sound terrific but there might be other options for less cash. The old Onkyo TX-xxxx receivers are incredible and don't command the crazy prices of Marantz and Pioneer gear 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    currently running an Onkyo A8040V. Its solid. But there might be a phono stage issue. had been a fade out on L channel. Want to take it in for service at Stereo Lab (8-10 week back log). Am planning on seeing what they may have available as well.

Happened with 2 different TT. Both Dual. A 1228 and a 1257. Replaced cables on the 1228 and it might have corrected it  but it really needs a thorough clean and relube.

So ebay has a 2252B under a grand with make offer option active. Close enough to go pick it up.

Adbook has several in the state. Local is a 2250B lists the service he did, bunch of caps etc...similar in price as the 2252.
    Local is a 2238B for 450. A 2252 for 1K. 2226B for 500(fm is mono only).  theres a woman with a 2265B she lists at $1700, a 2252B @ $1100 and a 2275 @ $2400........

Akron has a 4270 with original box and paperwork 1k firm. Supposed tech gone through.

Craigslist  has a guy with 3 different ones down near Cincy. a 2245 $999. a 2270 $1500 and a 2325 for $2799
    different guy same area has a 2220 with or without the walnut case. $500 with and 350 without.

Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    edited February 2023
    Nice! Lots of options. 

On the Duals, have you cleaned the contacts on the cartridge sleds where they mate with the headshell? That's a pretty common spot for corrosion and it is easily remedied with a pencil eraser and some contact cleaner. The muting switch underneath the deck can cause channel dropouts, too. Just a spray of Deoxit usually clears that up. 

Of the Marantz' available to you, the 2250b sounds like a pretty good deal. I like that generation better than the full-silver 2252b and the like. Totally personal preference, though. The 2245 is a real gem too. $1K seems to be the going rate for them these days and I still think they are worth it. 

Might you have a chance to audition any of them before you make a decision?
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    dudeman said:
    Nice! Lots of options. 

On the Duals, have you cleaned the contacts on the cartridge sleds where they mate with the headshell? That's a pretty common spot for corrosion and it is easily remedied with a pencil eraser and some contact cleaner. The muting switch underneath the deck can cause channel dropouts, too. Just a spray of Deoxit usually clears that up. 

Of the Marantz' available to you, the 2250b sounds like a pretty good deal. I like that generation better than the full-silver 2252b and the like. Totally personal preference, though. The 2245 is a real gem too. $1K seems to be the going rate for them these days and I still think they are worth it. 

Might you have a chance to audition any of them before you make a decision?

being local for the adbook ones and local-ish for the craigalist ones I should hope so. the 2250 says so specifically.

the more I think about it my memory feels right with my having a 2238b once upon a time.

on the duals , yeah am aware of all that. member on vinyl enine and those guys in the dual subforum are fantastic. super helpful. its a question of time.

here is what was done to the 2250

• Options
    That is a beautiful machine. Repair sheet looks pretty good but I would ask if they either cleaned the contacts in the relay or replaced it.

That is a pretty common problem with them, usually resulting in one or both channels dropping out when listening at lower volumes. If they replaced caps on the power board, they would have been right there and should have addressed it one way or the other. 
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    dudeman said:
    That is a beautiful machine. Repair sheet looks pretty good but I would ask if they either cleaned the contacts in the relay or replaced it.

That is a pretty common problem with them, usually resulting in one or both channels dropping out when listening at lower volumes. If they replaced caps on the power board, they would have been right there and should have addressed it one way or the other. 

thanks for that. he's asking 9. out of line offering 8 given the work put in?

• Options
    Thinking about selling this little bad boy. My Pioneer SX-636, this thing is as mint as you can get. Kinda leary about shipping though, might have to put it up on Craigslist. I'm not even sure what it's worth. It uses the old speaker connectors.
    This is like a $200 piece.  It'll cost 1/2 that to ship.

It's a nice system if you don't need to push big speakers.
  • Options
    edited February 2023
    Thinking about selling this little bad boy. My Pioneer SX-636, this thing is as mint as you can get. Kinda leary about shipping though, might have to put it up on Craigslist. I'm not even sure what it's worth. It uses the old speaker connectors.

www.classicreceivers.com
    values page shows recent sales...

• Options
    mrussel1 said:

okie dokie. My birthday is late July. Give you some time to pool your money to buy this for me. When You're ready to have it shipped, pm for address.

You guys are THE BEST!!!!!

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

okie dokie. My birthday is late July. Give you some time to pool your money to buy this for me. When You're ready to have it shipped, pm for address.

I'll overnight that cabinet FEDEX.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

wooden crates with packing materials. fedwrecks can be brutal on freight. on second thought, hire a moving company.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

wooden crates with packing materials. fedwrecks can be brutal on freight. on second thought, hire a moving company.
    Nothing is too good for you.  
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

www.classicreceivers.com

Yeah, I looked on ebay too and saw sold 200, 225, 185.  Not sure what those are?  There are a few w BIN working for all under $275.

Paying any more than $300 for this model is overpaying.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    If I had the money I would love to do the Pioneer Specs pieces in the racks.  Those are really nice and read some amazing things about them.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:

I don't think so. Worst he'll say is "no". 

Sadly, I think the days of finding these things cheap are quickly dwindling. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

www.classicreceivers.com

Yeah, I looked on ebay too and saw sold 200, 225, 185.  Not sure what those are?  There are a few w BIN working for all under $275.

Thanks fellas for all of the info!  Yeah, I was going to ask $300-$275.
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

www.classicreceivers.com

Thanks fellas for all of the info!  Yeah, I was going to ask $300-$275.
    I might know a guy in MI who might be interested. I'll talk to him and PM you. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    dudeman said:

Those restored w the LED's sell for over a grand.  If you get that for $800 you got one hell of a deal.