Options

Post your stereo system!

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,684
    edited March 2023
    mickeyrat said:
    see what I am doing is torturing myself....

dude is firm at 900 on the 2250b.

he's got a plan to replace with a pioneer sx980 and wants some vintage jbl l100's a buddy has to sell him.
    That 2270 is nice, but it's a lot to spend on something you can't test drive.  I would be nervous about little details in the condition, the pots, etc.  If you really like the black face, you can get them from Germany like this guy did (I did the same as well).  

If he's firm on the $900 for the Marantz, is he movable on the speakers, where you still get close?  

I think he's crazy going from Marantz to Pioneer.  I think the Marantz sound is so much smoother and warmer.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,927
    edited March 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

he's got a plan to replace with a pioneer sx980 and wants some vintage jbl l100's a buddy has to sell him.
    That 2270 is nice, but it's a lot to spend on something you can't test drive.  I would be nervous about little details in the condition, the pots, etc.  If you really like the black face, you can get them from Germany like this guy did (I did the same as well).  

If he's firm on the $900 for the Marantz, is he movable on the speakers, where you still get close?  

I think he's crazy going from Marantz to Pioneer.  I think the Marantz sound is so much smoother and warmer.  

he's a part of a vinyl group. all them guys are pioneer fanbois apparently.  and thats a no on the speakers. impression is a fomo situation. he's  aware it may blow up in his face. good news is theres a bunch  of marantz  here in ohio of various models....

so I posted the 70 because it matches one locally. right down to the blackface and for 2200. zero info on it from the seller who also has 3 other worh zero info. plan on reachingbout for history if its available, ownership, serviced etc. her pics didnt even show powered on.  if she doesnt , would offer 16 or 17 . hr others are a 2252b(1150) 2265b(1700) and a 2275 for 2400

the 2250b , I have already scoped the blackface for it on ebay. 2 sellers , each with "last one" as with all their other faces. . lol...

and a guy in lima posted a 2252b for 500, and make him a reasonable offer...... will demo etc. said it didnt neeed service, its clean and they've had no problems. might be ad manipulation,  but it showed original list as 1050.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    $500 for a 2252 seems very low.  I mean it would be great if it's legit and you can go drive it.  

It's crazy how much these larger Marantz's cost.  They are certainly beloved, rightfully so. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,988
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:

he's a part of a vinyl group. all them guys are pioneer fanbois apparently.  and thats a no on the speakers. impression is a fomo situation. he's  aware it may blow up in his face. good news is theres a bunch  of marantz  here in ohio of various models....

so I posted the 70 because it matches one locally. right down to the blackface and for 2200. zero info on it from the seller who also has 3 other worh zero info. plan on reachingbout for history if its available, ownership, serviced etc. her pics didnt even show powered on.  if she doesnt , would offer 16 or 17 . hr others are a 2252b(1150) 2265b(1700) and a 2275 for 2400

the 2250b , I have already scoped the blackface for it on ebay. 2 sellers , each with "last one" as with all their other faces. . lol...

and a guy in lima posted a 2252b for 500, and make him a reasonable offer...... will demo etc. said it didnt neeed service, its clean and they've had no problems. might be ad manipulation,  but it showed original list as 1050.
    That 2252b for $500 sounds like a steal. Even if you have to recap it, you'll still come out for under $1000.00.

The 2250b that you were looking at, even for $900 would probably still be a decent investment. 

Personally, I wouldn't go over $2K for a 2270 unless it was a pristine example. I think Marantz made a number of better performing receivers than the 2270. For that money, a 2275 or 2285b would be more bang for your buck. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    I think I am settled. 2250b is a virtual lock.

2252b will be mine too if its still available.originally listed at 1050 with a posting which included "shoot me a reasonable offer". later dropped to 500 but didnt change or add any wording to the post. he did a demo video . will offer 300. see what happens.

its been up for 14 weeks......

he removed the 2252b listing.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hmmm. adbook listing from a pawn shop.got some questions of them...

2275 - $1250.00 . Active make offer button.....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

Not a bad deal if everything works. Listening to Gov't Mule through my 2275 right now. It's fucking glorious!
  • Options
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:

Not a bad deal if everything works. Listening to Gov't Mule through my 2275 right now. It's fucking glorious!

face and case look clean. no pics with power on.

• Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    I need some recommendations for system upgrades. Right now I have an oknyo txnr676 receiver, Pioneer SPFS 52 speakers, audio technica atlp 5 tt, music hall pa2.2 phonostage, and ortofon blue cart. Thanks
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    I need some recommendations for system upgrades. Right now I have an oknyo txnr676 receiver, Pioneer SPFS 52 speakers, audio technica atlp 5 tt, music hall pa2.2 phonostage, and ortofon blue cart. Thanks
    That brings about lots of questions.  But is there a component that you really dislike and think is a weak link?  Also, how much do you want to spend?
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    pjpjpaul said:
    Changing speakers will make the most dramatic difference. Source and amp next, then cables/interconnects last.

mrussel1 is correct in asking what you think is lacking and establishing a budget.

Personally, if I had your gear, I would probably keep the turntable and cart as-is and focus on the speakers and amp/receiver.

There are literally tons of options out there. New, used, modern and vintage are considerations too.

Edited to add: The speakers you have now are pretty well regarded, especially for the price they originally sold for. Not the prettiest cabinets but they were designed by Andrew Jones, a very capable engineer. Isolating anything that you're not happy with should be the first step. 
    Post edited by dudeman on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    That brings about lots of questions.  But is there a component that you really dislike and think is a weak link?  Also, how much do you want to spend?
    I'd say the amp and speakers. Looking at the 4-5k range total for amp and speakers. If there is something nice for less I'd also be interested. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    getting anxious for friday.

• Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    I'd say the amp and speakers. Looking at the 4-5k range total for amp and speakers. If there is something nice for less I'd also be interested. 

vintage amp or modern?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    pjpjpaul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    pjpjpaul said:

vintage amp or modern?
    I think that's question 1.  Along with:

1. Do you need a DAC built in?
    2. What size room?
    3. Are you eyeing floor standing speakers or bookshelves (linked to room size)?
    4. Do you want A+B speakers, or just need one set?
    4. Do you have a sub or plan to add a sub?

Your price range gives a shit ton of options.  You can get mostly anything and it will be pretty high end.  However, if you do spend 4-5K, I think your TT will become your weak spot.  
  • Options
    Maybe a modern hybrid amp that has tube preamp and solid state power amp. 

Room is around 10x12

Not sure about the dac (can you explain why I would or wouldn't need it?)

Eyeing floor standing options but open to speakers like jbl l00 and others like them.

I already have a sub

Just need a set of two speakers. 

Thanks!
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options

• Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    Maybe a modern hybrid amp that has tube preamp and solid state power amp. 

Room is around 10x12

Not sure about the dac (can you explain why I would or wouldn't need it?)

Eyeing floor standing options but open to speakers like jbl l00 and others like them.

I already have a sub

Just need a set of two speakers. 

Thanks!
    A DAC is necessary if you plan on connecting a CD player that doesn't have analog outs, or if you want to connect a PC/laptop to drive digital music right to the receiver (highly recommended for high quality music).  If this is not your plan, then you can take that out of the decision matrix.  A DAC can be added later as an external component if you chose.  

With the size room you have, I'd highly recommend looking at bookshelf speakers.  Anything smaller than 1500 ft^3 should use bookshelves.  I'm assuming your room is 9 foot ceilings.  If you have 15 foot ceilings, then towers might make sense.  But you pay more for less with towers and sitting too close to them reduces fidelity.  Bookshelf speakers are wonderful on stands and the ones I have sound better than the towers I use in bigger rooms.  

Regarding the hybrid way, I love that path.  Best of both worlds.  However, having an integrated hybrid can be pricey.  That's Mcintosh territory.  But another way to do it is get a tube preamp and pair it with a two channel amplifier section.  They might be 'mismatched' but it's much more economical and you can change things out too.  In general, separates typically mean you are getting better components for the dollar.  
  • Options
    Don't need a dac at the moment. What bookshelf speakers and amps would you recommend? 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    Don't need a dac at the moment. What bookshelf speakers and amps would you recommend? 
    I'll post later today after giving it some thought.  Also, you are more than welcome to hear my system, particularly with some of the different options.  I'm near 295 and Staples Mill.  
  • Options
    Okay let me tackle speakers first.  I absolutely think this is the place where you make or break your system.  The amplifier stage is important, but once you get to a certain level, I'm not convinced there is much of a difference other than power.  For example, when I flip real time between my 1971 Marantz and 2019 Mcintosh, you have to listen for much if any difference.  Speakers can be night and day.  

For bookshelves, there are a million options.  I suggest you spend lots of time and test drive them.  Order from Crutchfield where you can as they have a wonderful testing policy.  You get 30 days and returns are $10 shipping.  No brainer.  You should also go up to Audio Exchange on W. Broad.  Donny and Dave carry some great gear and as long as you're not a dick, they have no problems letting you take stuff home.  But for many of these brands, there are multiple speakers that span the price ranges, so you have to see what you like for price and the look.  I haven't listened to everything of course, but the brands I'm recommending here I've either owned or demoed for a period of time.  

KEF - https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/kef_speakers.html?&pg=2  Very good English brand.  Laid back sound, really good prices.  I'm not sure the 150 or 300 series are great, but the LS50 series is very highly regarded.  

B&W - https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/b&w_speakers.html?fa=1#&nvpair=FFBrand|Bowers%20%26%20Wilkins I think these sound similar to the KEFs.  English as well, with a soft dome tweeter.  There's a very large range of quality across the brand.  Not that the lower end ones are bad, rather the higher end ones with the decoupled carbon domes are really nice.  

Focal - https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsearch/focal_speaker.html?fa=1#&nvpair=FFCategory|[rank11999]Home%20Speakers&nvpair=FFSubcategory|[rank37900]Bookshelf%20Speakers  Love this brand.  I haven't owned them for home, but did for auto.  They are a brand that has some low end and then very high end.  I think the Aria are the only sort of price reasonable ones they have.  

Sonus Faber - serious Italian speakers. These are no joke.  Normally they are way out of price range for mere mortals, but a few years ago they started a lower line that brought their technology from high end into the a reasonable price.  The way they did it was by using pressed wood wrapped in leather, which still looks great.  Everything less than $4k for all of these speakers is probably pressed wood.  But SF's real speakers are made by hand with sold wood veneers, shined, gorgeous.  The Lumix II are only $999.  That's a crazy price.  But they are small.  https://www.audioadvice.com/sonus-faber-lumina-i-bookshelf-speaker-pair+color-Piano~Black  I know Audio Exchange carries SF so if you want to check these out, you should go up there.  The next step up is the Sonetto line and the cabinets are much nicer.  I don't know how much they are.  I was going to buy some towers a few years ago, but Donny at AE talked me out of it and I kept my Dyns.  The picture below are the Sonettos.  I just wanted to show the cabinets. 

Dynaudio - last but definitely not least.  These are my favorite and I've been using this brand for several years and a few versions.  Like SF, they are more of a luxury brand compared to B&W or KEF, so you will need to go to AE or someplace a little more specialized.  But they are worth it.  Danish speakers, neutral, beautiful cabinets, very balanced. They just disappear in your room and you never think of them.  In the total package range of $4-5k, spending $2-2300 would put you in the Evoke 20 model.  Here's an open box for $1800, but it looks like they are walnut.  Highly recommended speakers though.  https://www.safeandsoundhq.com/products/dynaudio-evoke-20-bookshelf-speakers-open-box-pair?currency=USD&variant=41014245097583&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAgaGgBhC8ARIsAAAyLfGR2l8XYAQSrdL_U6s0SXe4wmto-naz_rwd-npZlTst9CBWSD-fWjAaAlPfEALw_wcB
  • Options
    If you find yourself wanting something more old-school or classic looking, Wharfedale Linton and KLH Models 3 and 5 have all been reintroduced with modern tech in a retro-looking package.

I've heard nothing but raves about them, especially the KLHs. If I was looking for new speakers right now, I would grab a pair of Model 5s and a pair of Model 3s and not give it a second thought. 

What kinds of music do you listen to the most?
  • Options
    Thanks for the recommendations! A lot to digest here for sure. @mrussel1 we do need to hang out sometime. It's funny that you live literally 10 miles or so from me. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    look to bring this home tomorrow morning.... I hope.

• Options
    Looks awesome! What a gorgeous monster.  You mentioned black face.  Are you planning to change it or keep silver?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Looks awesome! What a gorgeous monster.  You mentioned black face.  Are you planning to change it or keep silver?

already scoped a black face on ebay. rest of my stuff is black so.... besides. it looks killer.

• Options
    For speakers, I might be looking between the KLH model 5, Klipsch Hersey IV, and JBL L100, or the Dynaudio evoke 20's. 

Looks like schiit makes some decent integrated amps. The Ragnorock model is very intriguing although it lacks a tube preamp, which I can love without if need be. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:
    For speakers, I might be looking between the KLH model 5, Klipsch Hersey IV, and JBL L100, or the Dynaudio evoke 20's. 

Looks like schiit makes some decent integrated amps. The Ragnorock model is very intriguing although it lacks a tube preamp, which I can love without if need be. 
    Make sure you test those Klipsch.  They are horn twitters.  Some people love them, some hate them.  I like a softer dome twitter personally.  

For a tube pre stage, check out the Vincent Audios.  I have heard good things, although I have not used one myself.  But htey have a version that is a hybrid.  They are a well regarded German brand.  

Something else that is closer to the Schiit would be the Cambridge CXA-81.  I actually used this for a month and I really liked it.  It was super smooth.  The remote kind of sucked, but other than that it was great.  I was comparing it to a Luxman so that wasn't a fair fight. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_779CXA81G/Cambridge-Audio-CXA81.html
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    look to bring this home tomorrow morning.... I hope.
    Congratulations! Excellent piece of equipment. 
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:

All solid speaker choices but the Heresies are pretty light on the low end. They roll off at something like 80 hz. Probably the most polarizing of all the Klipsch offerings.

It won't matter as much if you have a good subwoofer but that's one more thing to deal with.