Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Having a problem with my Marantz.  Suddenly the volume control doesn't work on the headphone amp. Anyone run into this before and possible solutions. Volume is fine on the speakers so it doesn't seem like it would be the pot on the volume control. 
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    mrussel1 said:
    Having a problem with my Marantz.  Suddenly the volume control doesn't work on the headphone amp. Anyone run into this before and possible solutions. Volume is fine on the speakers so it doesn't seem like it would be the pot on the volume control. 
    Thanks for the comments above!

Sorry to hear about the Marantz. It's a 2245 right? This sounds strange, but can you pull the left front leg off? Sometimes a screw that is too long gets used, particularly if the unit ever had a wooden case. People used to remove the case and reuse the longer screws to put the legs back on.

Due to the location of the headphone jack, the screw would either damage the jack or short the signal in a number of ways.  

Based on what you are describing, that would be the first thing I would check. 

Good luck!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    One other thing: Are you using your Marantz by itself or do you have a power amp you're driving with the 2245's preamp?
    dudeman said:
    One other thing: Are you using your Marantz by itself or do you have a power amp you're driving with the 2245's preamp?
    I'm an idiot, FYI.  To answer your question, I stopped using it as a preamp because I wanted to power my B speakers over by the pool table and couldn't do that without running through a speaker selector, which I hate.  The reality is that it sounds better with an external amp.  Everything is tighter, but you still have the warm Marantz sound.  Tradeoffs.

But back to the topic, this morning I went to check it out and realized what happened.  I rarely use the headphones but my daughter was complaining the other night that I was jamming too loud and she couldn't sleep, hence the headphones.  I had tied on a few cocktails and it was dark.  Therefore... I plugged the cans into the dubbing port!  In my DEFENSE...  the left side is where the cans go on my SX!  Anyway, dumb drunk move.  The volume works perfectly fine.  
    Those are the best kind of repairs. Glad it all got sorted out for you. 
    So my oldest daughter moved to her first apartment at school last weekend and took the couch from the formal living room.  I have taken this opportunity to change it to my listening room and moved all the records down from the third.  Bought a few chairs,  rug and also picked up some Dynaudio Evoke 20s to test.  Also got the green light to put some "classy " prints on the wall.
    Sound good so far but only had a few hours on them at the store so I'm breaking them in. I've been listening to Bowers for years so I'm used to their coloring.  These Danish speakers are mellow but neutral.

Cool man! Looks great!

I would love to hear what you think of the speakers after break in.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    My kingdom for a 2.5A 250V fuse that actually matches/fits my Sansui receiver.

Sucks that Radio Shack is no more.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

Nothing on Ebay?  Try calling Action Electronics in Williamsburg, VA if you are down to no options.  The guy there is a vintage genius and does all the repairs for most of VA.  People drive hours to have him work on their stuff.  He might tell you where he gets his parts.  He definitely works on Sansui's.  
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Nothing on Ebay?  Try calling Action Electronics in Williamsburg, VA if you are down to no options.  The guy there is a vintage genius and does all the repairs for most of VA.  People drive hours to have him work on their stuff.  He might tell you where he gets his parts.  He definitely works on Sansui's.  
    Thanks for the info. I can find stuff on eBay, etc., but my gripe is about being able to go to the Radio Shack and get exactly what I need the day I need it.

I'm sure that the cranky bastard who fixed my Dual has a shload of fuses that fit, but his hours are tough. Meanwhile, no left channel.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Thanks for the info. I can find stuff on eBay, etc., but my gripe is about being able to go to the Radio Shack and get exactly what I need the day I need it.

I'm sure that the cranky bastard who fixed my Dual has a shload of fuses that fit, but his hours are tough. Meanwhile, no left channel.
    Which Sansui do you have? I might have fuses lying around. I'll send you a couple if they are the right ones. 
    edited September 2019
    dudeman said:
    dankind said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

Which Sansui do you have? I might have fuses lying around. I'll send you a couple if they are the right ones. 
    Thanks for the offer, man. It's one of the older Sansui receivers -- a Model 2000.

It's a speaker fuse that's blown (left channel) -- 1.25-inch, 2.5A, 250V.  
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Well, I just went through my spares. I have 1 Amp and 10 MA fuses but no 2.5 Amp fuses. 

Sorry mate.
    dudeman said:
    Well, I just went through my spares. I have 1 Amp and 10 MA fuses but no 2.5 Amp fuses. 

Sorry mate.
    No worries. And thanks so much for offering and digging around.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dudeman said:

Sorry mate.
    No worries. And thanks so much for offering and digging around.
    I just put a 3A fuse in there. I hope it doesn't cause an issue. The last person had a 2A fuse in there, which obviously did cause an issue.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Are you playing your Sansui at loud volume? Are you hearing any distortion from the left channel?
  • CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,225
    edited January 2022

Post edited by CO278952 on
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
    CO278952 said:
    Klipsch Reference Premiere 250 Atmos setup w/ Denon x3300w and Emotiva 7x200w amp and two 12 inch subs

What Emo amp? How do you like it?

I have an Outlaw 5000 which is 5x125 all channels driven and I love it. I think Emo and Outlaw are pretty similar.  I really only use mine for home theater,  but super clean for music 
  • CO278952CO278952 Orlando, FL Posts: 1,225
    mrussel1 said:
    CO278952 said:
    Klipsch Reference Premiere 250 Atmos setup w/ Denon x3300w and Emotiva 7x200w amp and two 12 inch subs

What Emo amp? How do you like it?

I have an Outlaw 5000 which is 5x125 all channels driven and I love it. I think Emo and Outlaw are pretty similar.  I really only use mine for home theater,  but super clean for music 
    XPA-7. It kicks ass. Really drives the speakers well for quick attack with movies and has seriously improved music compared to just the Denon which I had by itself for at least a year. I have a Sonos playbar and sub in the other room which sounded better than the Denon and the klipsch without the Emotiva amp for music. With the emotiva involved the systems rival each other with similar punch. One thing to mention is I am running 5.2.2 Atmos so the emotiva amp makes a big difference driving the 7 channels compared to the Denon trying to do so on its own. 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden
    07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa
    5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin
    That's a big ass amp
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Hi! said:

HA!
    End thread. That's how it's done. 
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Hi! said:

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    edited October 2019
    80's era Onkyo system including speakers. Hand me down from a clean out of my SiL's parents house after her father passed and as her mother was preparing to move to NC with her brother.

Foam replaced on the speakers sloppily diy by me. $16.
    new belt on the turntable installed. $16
    Sennheiser HD 569 headphones $161.xx w/tax Amazon.
    Auralex Acoustics isolation platform $74.50 plus tax and international shipping Amazon. (arrives by oct 31)

MCM dresser converted to Stereo Cabinet $425.00

I didnt claim the dual cassette deck or the 6 disc changer that was with this system quick enough. Went to scrappers..... Am looking online for era replacement on the casstette deck and will likely go new on the changer. Best Buy has an Onkyo 6 disc for $145

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Cool system! My in laws had the Kenwood equivalent of that. It always sounded great and held up for 30 years.

The needle bumps in your headphones are a bummer but changing them won't help. You'll have to isolate the turntable. Auralex makes a great isolation platform for turntables. They work well, look good and are relatively affordable. 
    dudeman said:
    Cool system! My in laws had the Kenwood equivalent of that. It always sounded great and held up for 30 years.

The needle bumps in your headphones are a bummer but changing them won't help. You'll have to isolate the turntable. Auralex makes a great isolation platform for turntables. They work well, look good and are relatively affordable. 
    platform better than feet?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    Depends on the furniture the turntable is on. The platform will add mass under the entire deck and decouple it from vibration. 

Feet might decouple it but if the furniture/stand doesn't have enough mass or isn't really solid, footfalls and bumps might still cause trouble. 

So, feet might help, an isolation platform almost certainly will. 
    edited October 2019
    dudeman said:
    Depends on the furniture the turntable is on. The platform will add mass under the entire deck and decouple it from vibration. 

Feet might decouple it but if the furniture/stand doesn't have enough mass or isn't really solid, footfalls and bumps might still cause trouble. 

So, feet might help, an isolation platform almost certainly will. 
    I see. thank you . am sure to have more questions in the future.

Post edited by mickeyrat on

mickeyrat said:
    80's era Onkyo system including speakers. Hand me down from a clean out of my SiL's parents house after her father passed and as her mother was preparing to move to NC with her brother.

Foam replaced on the speakers sloppily diy by me. $16.
    new belt on the turntable installed. $16
    Sennheiser HD 569 headphones $161.xx w/tax Amazon.
    Auralex Acoustics isolation platform $74.50 plus tax and international shipping Amazon. (arrives by oct 31)

MCM dresser converted to Stereo Cabinet $425.00

I didnt claim the dual cassette deck or the 6 disc changer that was with this system quick enough. Went to scrappers..... Am looking online for era replacement on the casstette deck and will likely go new on the changer. Best Buy has an Onkyo 6 disc for $145

as recommended I added the isolation table via Amazon $72.26

ebay added an Onkyo dual cassette deck TA RW344  $40

best buy added an Onkyo 6 disc changer DX C390. $129