Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Miraculously more tickets popped up for Barclays. You know , “the platinum” ones. Over $400 face value. I can’t believe TM is allowed to openly price gouge and it’s legal 
    yeah, they are essentially working as a in-house scalping company based on supply and demand.  "prices may fluctuate based on demand"
    Seriously, how it is legal is beyond me. I really really wish some leaders would do something about it. Some legislation against this is badly needed, in Canada and the US.
    Concert tickets are luxury items and promoters/bands should be able to charge whatever and however the market bears. I don't like paying $400 for a ticket either so I don't go to many high profile arena shows. If you live near an arena, there is no shortage of $20-50 club shows in your area.
    That has literally nothing to do with my comment. I am saying it should be illegal for Ticketmaster to have its own reselling sight, where they sell the tix and then offer up their own scalping platform on the very same website to buy back the tickets they just sold, and then resell them at quadruple the price. THAT should be illegal. I can't believe it isn't.
    Disagree. That same type of platform has allowed me to buy tickets below face value many, many times. People always focus on the negative.
    I don't see how that makes any difference. No company should legally be allowed to buy back what they just sold and then sell it again for a different price IMO, and it is simply more egregious with Ticketmaster because it has such a huge monopoly in the market. And there is shit like this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ticketmaster-resellers-las-vegas-1.4828535

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjl44 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mr bungle said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Miraculously more tickets popped up for Barclays. You know , “the platinum” ones. Over $400 face value. I can’t believe TM is allowed to openly price gouge and it’s legal 
    yeah, they are essentially working as a in-house scalping company based on supply and demand.  "prices may fluctuate based on demand"
    Seriously, how it is legal is beyond me. I really really wish some leaders would do something about it. Some legislation against this is badly needed, in Canada and the US.
    Concert tickets are luxury items and promoters/bands should be able to charge whatever and however the market bears. I don't like paying $400 for a ticket either so I don't go to many high profile arena shows. If you live near an arena, there is no shortage of $20-50 club shows in your area.
    That has literally nothing to do with my comment. I am saying it should be illegal for Ticketmaster to have its own reselling sight, where they sell the tix and then offer up their own scalping platform on the very same website to buy back the tickets they just sold, and then resell them at quadruple the price. THAT should be illegal. I can't believe it isn't.
    Disagree. That same type of platform has allowed me to buy tickets below face value many, many times. People always focus on the negative.
    I don't see how that makes any difference. No company should legally be allowed to buy back what they just sold and then sell it again for a different price IMO, and it is simply more egregious with Ticketmaster because it has such a huge monopoly in the market. And there is shit like this: https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/ticketmaster-resellers-las-vegas-1.4828535

I remember that story and, yes, that is supremely shady. At this point if they want to engage in dynamic pricing, I think they should just rip the band aid off and do it.

As far as the monopoly aspect, I haven't had any better service or cheaper fees with their competitors. Ticketfly, AXS, and even Eventbrite all soak me for 20-30%.

The horse is out of the barn with ticket reselling. It's a technology thing. If TM wants to host their own resale site, they should be able to. StubHub, et al. aren't going away. Or they can vary pricing more on the primary sale if they want to take on more risk. Either way, if someone wants to pay $500 for a ticket, they will be able to. Unless the artist puts in the effort to limit transfers.
    Sorry that I keep derailing this thread. Started a new discussion at the link below if anyone was going to respond further....

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/281998/ticketmaster-verified-resale-dynamic-pricing-etc#latest
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Still waiting for the next batch of CDs to ship from Tool.

Still really loving the new album. Not really popular opinion here but I think Pneuma and Invincible are the weak tracks. Can't get enough of Descending and Culling Voices. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,387

Now that I've had a while to listen, I'm still really blown away by Invincible & Descending. They're easily my favorite tracks, and I'm looking forward to seeing them played live.

7empest is my next favorite, probably followed by the title track, Pneuma & finally Culling Voices.

I'm less blown away by the last three I mentioned than I was when I first got the album. CV has yet to really grab me. It's fine, it's not a bad song, but I haven't had any great breakthrough while listening to really endear me to it. The breakdown in Pneuma is freaking fantastic, but there are other parts of the song I feel drag... It hasn't grabbed me yet either, at least not like it has other people.

The tour starts Sunday night! I'm interested to see what their full set list is now that the album is out. I doubt I'll be able to hold out from looking until mid-November, so I probably won't even try.

I'm thinking in addition to Invincible & Descending, they probably add Pneuma and maybe CV or FI.

I would love to see 7empest played live, but I'm not expecting it TBH. (I don't base that on anything other than my gut feeling).

I also hope they have some decent posters for this tour... the last couple of times I saw them in the spring of '17 they had the dueling cicadas, which... sure they fit Tool's imagery but I would never frame & display that. I did like the alien they had for the spring '18 tour dates. While I don't know that I would frame that one for the living room either, it's still more aesthetically pleasing than one bug stabbing another in the head.

• LCLC North Andover, MA Posts: 253
    While not my favorite song, I think opening up their shows this Fall with 7empest would be unbelievable.
    8-29-00 Mansfield, 6-29-03 Montreal, 7-2-03 Mansfield, 7-3-03 Mansfield, 7-11-03, Mansfield, 9-28-04 Boston, 9-29-04 Boston, 10-8-04 Kissimmee, 9-15-05 Montreal, 9-16-05 Ottawa, 5-12-06 Albany, 5-13-06 Hartford, 5-24-06 Boston, 5-25-06 Boston, 6-28-08, Mansfield, 6-30-08 Mansfield, 5-15-10 Hartford, 5-17-10 Boston, 7-19-13 Chicago, 10-15-13 Worcester, 5-2-16 New York City, 8-5-16 Boston, 8-7-16 Boston
    EV- 2008, 2011 Boston
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,639
    LC said:
    While not my favorite song, I think opening up their shows this Fall with 7empest would be unbelievable.
    It would be insane. 
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,625
    nicknyr15 said:
    LC said:
    It would be insane. 
    Only a week away and we will find out. Part of me wants to not look at the set but the other part is way too curious to not take a peak. 
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 781
    Reckon they'll kick off with the title track. 7empest would blow my mind anywhere but it seems a lot of rehearsal time would be needed to get it down. Plus that (and Pneuma to a lesser extent) has distinct multiple guitar parts that they may be still figuring out how to do live.

As for the rest of the set, they put so much effort into their songs that I and most other big fans wouldn't care if they had no supposed "greatest hits" tracks. Maynard generally picks the sets due to his voice so hopefully with these new songs being easier he can throw some songs that haven't been done in a while into the mix.

As for the new songs I'd most want to see Pneuma Invincible and 7empest live but imagine Fear Inoculum will be omnipresent and they'll play Descending a heap. Which isn't exactly a booby prize...
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,094
    JT167846 said:
    Reckon they'll kick off with the title track. 7empest would blow my mind anywhere but it seems a lot of rehearsal time would be needed to get it down. Plus that (and Pneuma to a lesser extent) has distinct multiple guitar parts that they may be still figuring out how to do live.

As for the rest of the set, they put so much effort into their songs that I and most other big fans wouldn't care if they had no supposed "greatest hits" tracks. Maynard generally picks the sets due to his voice so hopefully with these new songs being easier he can throw some songs that haven't been done in a while into the mix.

As for the new songs I'd most want to see Pneuma Invincible and 7empest live but imagine Fear Inoculum will be omnipresent and they'll play Descending a heap. Which isn't exactly a booby prize...

Cant image they will not play 7empest. That will be sick live. As will Pnuema. We find out Sunday!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Chocolate chip trip would be awesome live
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Chocolate chip trip would be awesome live

It is, and has been a staple of the setlist since 2015 - I don't know that it had a name before the album, but they've at least been playing it as far back as the Monster Mash in Tempe.

Wow. that I did not know. Might have to look it up on Youtube!
    For some reason that track reminds me of the song A Saucerful of secrets by Pink Floyd.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Pretty sure it showed up on written set lists as CC Trip
  • chittychitty Posts: 574
    I am travelling to the festival tomorrow that has Tool headlining sunday. Hoping to hear a bunch of the new stuff and a few old hits. It's a pretty short set though so not sure what they can do for the new album with each song being so long....I guess time will tell
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    chitty said:
    I am travelling to the festival tomorrow that has Tool headlining sunday. Hoping to hear a bunch of the new stuff and a few old hits. It's a pretty short set though so not sure what they can do for the new album with each song being so long....I guess time will tell
    Aftershock, is that what it's called. Took a young lady to the airport this morning that was headed to Sacramento.

All their sets are pretty short.
    #FHP
    Horos said:
    chitty said:
    Aftershock, is that what it's called. Took a young lady to the airport this morning that was headed to Sacramento.

All their sets are pretty short.

On paper they seem short based on the number of songs played, but at a typical Tool show they usually play for 1:45 + / - which I don't feel is that far off from a lot of other big acts.

• I’m stuck at a desk at work for a few hours. Anyone know of a Tool show that I should listening to on YouTube? Preferably from 2015-to present
    I’m stuck at a desk at work for a few hours. Anyone know of a Tool show that I should listening to on YouTube? Preferably from 2015-to present
    Why after 2015? Just curious. The shows I've seen in that stretch have been fine but not exactly their peak.
  • pjl44 said:
    I’m stuck at a desk at work for a few hours. Anyone know of a Tool show that I should listening to on YouTube? Preferably from 2015-to present
    Why after 2015? Just curious. The shows I've seen in that stretch have been fine but not exactly their peak.
    2015 was just a rough estimate for a newer show. I’m pretty well versed from 94-2000. Haven’t seen them in a long time and I’m interested in how they should/play now 
    A couple of live debuts tonight. Putting it in the link to not spoil it for those that do not want to know. 10 songs 1hr 30 min set.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2019/discovery-park-sacramento-ca-7b9daaa4.html
    After starting the album at Invincible mostly the past few weeks, I decided to start from the start.
    Yes, Pnuema still holds strong for me, amazing song.
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    PJNB said:
    A couple of live debuts tonight. Putting it in the link to not spoil it for those that do not want to know. 10 songs 1hr 30 min set.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tool/2019/discovery-park-sacramento-ca-7b9daaa4.html
    I'm hoping that this was due to being a festival setlist. 7empest will get played live and everyone will cream themselves when it happens.

Any word on the poster? And were there signed ones available?
    Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
  • manitoumanmanitouman In My Head Posts: 1,073
    From Toolband...

TOOL TOUR PRINTS

Artwork being an integral component of the Tool experience, for the 2019 Fall tour each event print will be unique. Following the band’s sonic, lyrical, and visual output, intersecting themes from the pneuma of the individual artists coalesque into a transmundane unity. Phantasmal hierophants, nightside archetypes, alien taxonomy and morphological constructs are featured, along with sacred geometry, hidden allegories of spiritual energies, subtle anatomy of occult hyperchemistry and magical radiances of ascending intelligences. Whether you’re a collector pursuing the gamut, or Tool enthusiast wanting a souvenir from the show, inspired works from the impressive list of artistic contributors are sure to enhance your surroundings.

CONTRIBUTERS:

Adi Granov

IG: www.instagram.com/adigranov/

FB: www.facebook.com/AdiGranovIllustration/

www.adigranov.net

Alex Grey

IG: https://www.instagram.com/alexgreycosm/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/alexgreycosm/

FB: https://www.facebook.com/AlexGreyCoSM/

Allen Williams

IG: @I_JustDraw

Twitter: @ijustdraw

FB: www.facebook.com/AllenWilliamsArt

www.AllenWilliamsStudio.com

Carly Schmitt

IG: instagram.com/tinyalgae

Chet Zar

IG: @chetzar

www.chetzar.com

Patreon.com/chetzar

Eliza Ivanova

IG: @eleeza

www.elizaivanova.com

Esad Ribic

Twitter: ‪@eribic

Jeff Nentrup

IG: @nentopia

Twitter: @nentopia

FB: https://www.facebook.com/jeff.nentrup

Jnk Artwork

IG: www.instagram.com/jnk2007

FB: www.facebook.com/jnk2007art

Joyce Su

IG: @joycesu

Mark Brooks

IG: @markbrooksart

Twitter: http://twitter.com/markbrooksart

FB: http://facebook.com/artofmarkbrooks

Maxim Verehin

IG: https://www.instagram.com/maxverehin/

Miles Johnston

IG: @miles_art

Robbie Trevino

IG: https://www.instagram.com/robbietrevinoart/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/RobbieSTrevino

https://www.artstation.com/robbietrevino/albums/all

Soldier Field, Chicago, IL 7-11-1995; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-29-1998; MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV 10-22-2000 ~PJ10~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 4-1-2003; Cricket Pavilion, Phoenix, AZ 6-7-2003; United Center, Chicago, IL 6-18-2003; Alpine Valley, East Troy, WI 6-21-2003; Fox Theatre, St. Louis, MO 10-5-2004; The Gorge, George, WA 9-1-2005; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-16-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 5-17-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-2-2006; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 7-3-2006; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-23-2009; United Center, Chicago, IL 8-24-2009; Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC 12-4-2013; Key Arena, Seattle, WA 12-6-2013; iWireless Arena, Moline, IL 10-17-2014 ~No Code Show~; Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul, MN 10-19-2014; Bradley Center, Milwaukee, WI 10-20-2014 ~Yield Show~; Pepsi Center, Denver, CO 10-22-2014 ~PJ24~: Wrigley Field 1 & 2, 2016; Safeco Field, Seattle Home Shows 1 & 2; Wrigley Field, Chicago Away Shows 1 & 2....
    From Toolband...

TOOL TOUR PRINTS

Artwork being an integral component of the Tool experience, for the 2019 Fall tour each event print will be unique. Following the band’s sonic, lyrical, and visual output, intersecting themes from the pneuma of the individual artists coalesque into a transmundane unity. Phantasmal hierophants, nightside archetypes, alien taxonomy and morphological constructs are featured, along with sacred geometry, hidden allegories of spiritual energies, subtle anatomy of occult hyperchemistry and magical radiances of ascending intelligences. Whether you’re a collector pursuing the gamut, or Tool enthusiast wanting a souvenir from the show, inspired works from the impressive list of artistic contributors are sure to enhance your surroundings. 

"My mind is aglow with whirling, transient nodes of thought careening thru a cosmic vapor of invention."
    PJNB said:

I'm hoping that this was due to being a festival setlist. 7empest will get played live and everyone will cream themselves when it happens.

Any word on the poster? And were there signed ones available?

I'm much less confident than you are about 7empest being played live. I hope you're right, and I guess we'll find out in a few days.

I was psyched to see the announcement of the posters, I'm hoping at least one of the two shows I go to has a print I can display proudly. I would love to give this guy a companion:

• scurtisscurtis Posts: 2,427
    Is the CD with the screen worth the big bucks?
    "Born on third, thinks he got a triple."
    scurtis said:
    Is the CD with the screen worth the big bucks?
    40ish bucks retail? Yes.
    100ish bucks secondary? No.