What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    As I said, I saw Better Off Dead for the first time this year and thought it was very good.  The Goonies didn’t do all that much for me although I liked certain aspects of it.
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • No CoderNo Coder Brisbane Posts: 1,126
    Yefa said:
    So I recently watched The Goonies in Yonkers, NY. I didn't hate it but also didn't love it. Here are a few thoughts about the movie.
    Why are they called The Goonies? They never explain that.
    Who set all those booby traps that they encounter on the way to the treasure? If it was the pirates themselves then why would they care about people finding their treasure after they are dead? Did the ship go there and then get trapped? I wasn't clear on that.
    Chunk was a very tolerant kid in this movie. If my friends had called me Chunk, I would have found new friends.
    I found it funny that they reference Gremlins in this movie as I think that flick is much better.
    The villains were fun to watch. The prison escape was a bit too easy though. He only had to knock out 1 guard to get all the way out of the building? It must be a minimum security prison.
    I may have liked this better if I had seen it in the 80s but I can't be sure. I also saw Better Off Dead for the first time this year and thought that was very good.
    I liked the music in the movie...both the score and the songs.

The Goonies is not a movie that you should sit down and think "why did this happen" and "how did they do this". It's just a fun movie.

To a few of your points though - 

Chunk put up with it, because bullying was far more excepted as part of life back then. He WANTED to be in their group

Every question about the pirates and pirate ship is too logical. It's a movie and they're pirates, nothing should be logical. Did you do the same with Pirates of the Caribbean?? 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me

*BEC, Brisbane, March 1995
    *BEC, Brisbane, March 1998
    *BEC, Brisbane, November 2006
    *QSAC, Brisbane November 2009
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane March 10 and 12 2011
    *Big Day Out, Gold Coast, 19 Jan 2014
    *EV Solo, QPAC, Brisbane, 22,23 & 25 Feb 2014
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    No Coder said:
    Yefa said:
    So I recently watched The Goonies in Yonkers, NY. I didn't hate it but also didn't love it. Here are a few thoughts about the movie.
    Who set all those booby traps that they encounter on the way to the treasure? If it was the pirates themselves then why would they care about people finding their treasure after they are dead? Did the ship go there and then get trapped? I wasn't clear on that.
    Chunk was a very tolerant kid in this movie. If my friends had called me Chunk, I would have found new friends.
    I found it funny that they reference Gremlins in this movie as I think that flick is much better.
    The villains were fun to watch. The prison escape was a bit too easy though. He only had to knock out 1 guard to get all the way out of the building? It must be a minimum security prison.
    I may have liked this better if I had seen it in the 80s but I can't be sure. I also saw Better Off Dead for the first time this year and thought that was very good.

The Goonies is not a movie that you should sit down and think "why did this happen" and "how did they do this". It's just a fun movie.

To a few of your points though - 

Chunk put up with it, because bullying was far more excepted as part of life back then. He WANTED to be in their group

Every question about the pirates and pirate ship is too logical. It's a movie and they're pirates, nothing should be logical. Did you do the same with Pirates of the Caribbean?? 
    Is the Goonies a fun movie that will be watched and enjoyed for generations? Yes
    Is it a classic example of great movie making? No
    Do I enjoy I and watch it at least once a year? Yes
    Is it a movie to be taken seriously and broken apart to figure it out? No
    Does every movie appeal to everyone? No

That's  why when god created us she gave us opinions 
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,833
    The Goonies is as good a kid's movie as you will ever find, nothing to dislike, in my opinion.  I did a road trip with my mates a couple of years ago from Seattle down to San Francisco, we did a Goonies film locations tour on the way  =)
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2019
    Yefa said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yefa said:

I have never seen anyone suck the fun out of a great classic movie to such an extent before.
    I don’t consider it “great” or “classic” so much as okay and overrated.  You don’t like The Beatles so I guess you only think it’s okay to go against popular opinion when you agree.
    🤷🏻‍♂️
    I don't dislike the Beatles, and I used to be a huge fan - I just got sick of hearing it. I simply think they are overrated because they are often said to have completely influenced all music that came after them. I don't believe that. But I should also note that I recently saw McCartney for the first time, and to hear him perform Beatles songs was fucking amazing and I still knew every single lyric.
    That said, holy cow, you have a good memory! I can't believe you remember me ever saying anything about the Beatles either way! ;)
    Still, like someone else said, a movie like the Goonies needn't be dissected, and that is how you sucked the fun out of it, lol. It's just supposed to be fun and entertaining, which it totally was and is (plus the nostalgia factor), not realistic.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    The Goondocks was the name of the fictional neighborhood. Those that live there referred to themselves as Goonies.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Five horror films for Splatterfest 8 at the local indie theater near me
    Image may contain text

The Slumber Party Massacre (1982)- Fun/cheesy slasher film
    The Living Dead in the Manchester Morgue (1974)- Also called Let Sleeping Corpses Lie in Italy. I only caught the first third of this one but it was pretty good form what I saw (missed the rest cause i was also helping int he theater/volunteering).
    Demonoid (1981)- Probably my least favorite that they showed but fun nonetheless
    Death Line (1972)- Cannibal film. This one was probably my favorite
    Zombi 3 (1988)- This one was pretty good and fun

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Slumber Party is a classic!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Death Line is great.  I saw it at Alamo Drafthouse Yonkers with the director there for a Q&A.

You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Angel Has Fallen
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,170
    Spiderman: Far From Home (Extended Cut)
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The Dark Crystal

Kids were not impressed because they're knuckleheads.

Fuck 'em. I'll watch the Netflix series myself. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    10 Cloverfield Lane

Definitely held my interest but so many loose ends. Questions, so many questions. 

Moneyball

Loved Jonah Hill's character.  What a missed opportunity. I think I'd like the book better because Brad Pitt's experience in his youth played such a large part in his choices yet it was never really explained properly. Liked it but questions. 

Maybe too inquisitive today. 

• It: Chapter 2. 
    Overly long indulgent CGI fest lacking in horror and wasting a great cast. Stephen King wears a Neil Young t-shirt.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

It: Chapter 2. 
    Overly long indulgent CGI fest lacking in horror and wasting a great cast. Stephen King wears a Neil Young t-shirt.
    Sounds just like the miniseries, but at least that had Tim Curry.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    It Chapter Two

I liked it. Little long (almost 3 hours). Few jump scares.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Aquaman. It was ok, but I’m in no rush to see it again any time soon
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    The Believer

Ryan Gosling as a smart Jewish neo-Nazi. Pretty darn good. It's on Amazon Prime.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited September 2019
    The last movie made me decide upon a Ryan Gosling movie fest.
    The Big Short

This is a movie I have been meaning to watch for ages, without knowing a whole lot about it. Loved it!! Kind of a "2008 housing market crash behind the scenes for dummies" movie, done in the most entertaining way possible. And the acting is very interesting... Christian Bale and Steve Carell make themselves into such different people it bordered on the bizarre for me, but in a good way. Also, it's very funny. Plus a pretty fun soundtrack. I am a satisfied viewer. :tongue:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I keep meaning to watch The Believer.

Great synopsis =)
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,438
    Rudy
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    Vice

Extremely entertaining. Also infuriating, of course.
  • Ma 

It wasn’t very good. It was on the verge of being interesting, but it never made it there. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited September 2019
    @dankind The series is amazing. I waited 25 years for that and then watched the film afterwards.  The weekend was the best weekend ever! I hope they make more of them! It's the reason I have Netflix!
    Ps - My bro introduced my nephew to the Goonies when he was a kid and he wasn't feeling it, I think it's coz he didn't grow up with it like we did!!!

dankind said:
    The Dark Crystal

Kids were not impressed because they're knuckleheads.

Fuck 'em. I'll watch the Netflix series myself. 

Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited September 2019
    I recently watched the shape of water and A star is born.  I really enjoyed both films. Who knew Bradley Cooper could pull off long hair and a beard! It's a real shame he doesn't always look like that! Really great film and really impressive award acceptance speeches by lady gaga. It's renewed my faith in human nature at a time when I really needed to hear that :) Lots of thanks and appreciation to those guys xxxx 🌹🌷🌈🍇🍎🍉💐🍑🍓🌹🌷🌈🌷🌹🌈🌷🍉🍎💐🌷🌈🍑🍓🌹🌈🍉🌈🍎💐🍇🌈🌹🍓🌷🍉😅💌🍑🍓🌹🌈🌷🍎💐🍑🍓🌹🌷🍎💐🍉🍇🌈🌹🍓🌷🍎💌🌹🍓🌷🍎💌💐🍉🌈
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Molly’s Game.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Clash of the Titans.  Too much CGI.
    Annihilation.  OK, not as great as I'd heard.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • READY OR NOT

was

great
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    Rock 'n' Roll High School

Never seen it before .  I enjoyed, it was fun.

8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD