What was the last movie you watched?

Comments

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,853

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,053
    edited September 2023
    A beer at the Swedish Film Insitute waiting for De Palma’s Body Double on 35mm

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Loujoe said:
    Yes^^^heavy into his movies for a while. Check out "lonely guy" too

Just watched "it happened one night" Clark Gable. Great oldie flick.
    In a lonely place??
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Enjoy it?
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,853
    Loujoe said:
    Yes^^^heavy into his movies for a while. Check out "lonely guy" too

Just watched "it happened one night" Clark Gable. Great oldie flick.
    In a lonely place??
    Yyyyeeep
  • Enjoy it?

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,055
    The African Queen
    Humphrey Bogart and Katherine Hepburn

If you have never watched it? Do yourself a favor, take 2 hours, and watch a masterpiece. 
    Snowpiercer. not what I was expecting. it was ok. 
    Both are great films!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..

• "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,782
    Yes! Very cool.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,465
    installment 2 of Daddy Daughter Movie Night:

The Goonies Amazonca Movies  TV Shows
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

Goonies forever!
    edited October 2023
    Weak..
    The Boogeyman 2023 - IMDb
    Post edited by 23scidoo on
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I actually enjoyed Boogeyman. But it may have something to do with taking my son who has not seen many scary movies. He was really into it, so that made it kind of fun.
  • I don't watch many movies to begin with. But will try to only watch horror this October.
    you don't? why do I feel like you are one of the main drivers of this thread?

www.headstonesband.com

edited October 2023
    The Village 2004 - IMDb

watched this with the kids last night. on netflix it's classified as "horror" and "thriller". Horror? um, no. 

www.headstonesband.com

• you don't? why do I feel like you are one of the main drivers of this thread?
    Trying to force my interest back. Going more to the cinema etc. But that genuine interest one had in the teens and twenties is gone.
    I've been meaning to ask, what is all this "in 35 mm" or "in 70mm" mean?

www.headstonesband.com

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    I've been meaning to ask, what is all this "in 35 mm" or "in 70mm" mean?
    Film sizes, for larger format screens
  • I've been meaning to ask, what is all this "in 35 mm" or "in 70mm" mean?
    35mm is what you went and saw, when you watched movies in the cinema before ~2010 or whatever.

Quentin can describe what you see now, when you go see films in the cinema:

"As far as I'm concerned, digital projection and DCPs is the death of cinema as I know it ... The fact that most films now are not presented in 35 mm means that the war is lost. Digital projections, that's just television in public. And apparently the whole world is OK with television in public, but what I knew as cinema is dead."

so is this just Qurmudgeon Quintin being himself, or does it actually make a difference? the movies I see on screen look fantastic. 

www.headstonesband.com

• so is this just Qurmudgeon Quintin being himself, or does it actually make a difference? the movies I see on screen look fantastic. 
    For me, it's all about the magic of the format. 

What city do you live in?
    Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

www.headstonesband.com

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,773
    edited October 2023
    Oppenheimer in 70mm imax was noticeably great

Nolan releases always get the treatment

inception back in the day even better cause of the action sequences
    For filmmakers who still film movies in film, it’s quite a bit different. The editing process becomes a bit more laborious. It’s possibly forcing the director to make different choices about how they set up their shots, how many takes they go through, etc.

Digital projection movies do look fantastic, but actual film does as well. Growing up going to the cinema and looking back to see the projectionist up in the booth, hear the projector spin up, the whir of the motor, the change of the reels, seeing the burn mark in the upper corner to cue the reel change (Fight Club!), it’s all a bit of another era that feels a bit lost now that theaters are digital. It’s a little less personal.

Do I still go to the theater? Yeah, a lot. I love it. Especially when it’s full and people are loving the experience. I’ve recently begun going back to an old art house theater in Atlanta I used to go to. I forgot how fun it was to see movies (old, new, quirky) with an audience of film loving people.

It’s also a bit like vinyl versus cd and/or streaming. There’s a difference in the sound, the experience of the gatefold cover, big liner notes. For other people, they don’t care about the difference. They just listen to the music.

In the end, I just love the theater. It was more exciting and intimate and generated a feeling of togetherness than theaters today. I love the idea of actual film. It’s funny though, we may be discussing one day the disappearance of a digital theater. Just watch the movies at home. I’d be sad about that too. There really is something to be said for the communal experience of the theater.

Can you imagine not seeing Avengers: Endgame in a theater? My theater was like a concert. Gasps, cheering, etc. It was awesome.

Can I imagine not watching Into the Wild in a small, quiet theater while Hal Holbrook broke my heart, knowing he wasn’t going to get Christopher McCandless to stop wandering and stay connected to someone and not die alone? That was quite an emotional experience.

I love the movies and the cinema.
  • PapPap Posts: 28,728
    On the plane from LHR to ORD:

Couples Retreat (2009)

Big Miracle (2012)

On the plane from ORD to LHR:

A Good Person (2023)

Buddy Games: Spring Awakening (2023)

Blueback (2022)
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
    For filmmakers who still film movies in film, it’s quite a bit different. The editing process becomes a bit more laborious. It’s possibly forcing the director to make different choices about how they set up their shots, how many takes they go through, etc.

Digital projection movies do look fantastic, but actual film does as well. Growing up going to the cinema and looking back to see the projectionist up in the booth, hear the projector spin up, the whir of the motor, the change of the reels, seeing the burn mark in the upper corner to cue the reel change (Fight Club!), it’s all a bit of another era that feels a bit lost now that theaters are digital. It’s a little less personal.

Do I still go to the theater? Yeah, a lot. I love it. Especially when it’s full and people are loving the experience. I’ve recently begun going back to an old art house theater in Atlanta I used to go to. I forgot how fun it was to see movies (old, new, quirky) with an audience of film loving people.

It’s also a bit like vinyl versus cd and/or streaming. There’s a difference in the sound, the experience of the gatefold cover, big liner notes. For other people, they don’t care about the difference. They just listen to the music.

In the end, I just love the theater. It was more exciting and intimate and generated a feeling of togetherness than theaters today. I love the idea of actual film. It’s funny though, we may be discussing one day the disappearance of a digital theater. Just watch the movies at home. I’d be sad about that too. There really is something to be said for the communal experience of the theater.

Can you imagine not seeing Avengers: Endgame in a theater? My theater was like a concert. Gasps, cheering, etc. It was awesome.

Can I imagine not watching Into the Wild in a small, quiet theater while Hal Holbrook broke my heart, knowing he wasn’t going to get Christopher McCandless to stop wandering and stay connected to someone and not die alone? That was quite an emotional experience.

I love the movies and the cinema.
    love it

www.headstonesband.com

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,864
    so is this just Qurmudgeon Quintin being himself, or does it actually make a difference? the movies I see on screen look fantastic. 

I think it's similar to the difference between audiophiles and non-audiphiles. Yeah, there is definitely a difference... but only audiophiles really care about that difference. Same goes with cinephiles!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    The Timekeepers of Eternity 2021 - IMDb
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.