Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2019

This makes me sick. All of Quebec should be ashamed. But they aren't. Quebec is super xenophobic against Muslims, generally (as are the French).
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    No doubt that law in Quebec is racist.  What does it say about our federal leaders that do not say a word...cowards?
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Two bodies found that are believed to be those of the two teens implicated in the three murders. No other details released yet. If this is true, we may never get answers or even a clear picture of what happened. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Trudeau broke ethics rules by trying to exert influence in SNC-Lavalin scandal: report

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he “can’t apologize” for what the federal ethics commissioner has now ruled was improper political influence in the SNC-Lavalinscandal.

That’s because he maintains he was trying to protect Canadian jobs, despite the commissioner finding Trudeau and his staff broke the rules repeatedly over the course of several months in which they pressured former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould to help the Quebec firm avoid a criminal trial.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5764034/justin-trudeau-snc-lavalin-broke-ethics-rules/

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Trudeau broke ethics rules by trying to exert influence in SNC-Lavalin scandal: report

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he “can’t apologize” for what the federal ethics commissioner has now ruled was improper political influence in the SNC-Lavalinscandal.

That’s because he maintains he was trying to protect Canadian jobs, despite the commissioner finding Trudeau and his staff broke the rules repeatedly over the course of several months in which they pressured former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould to help the Quebec firm avoid a criminal trial.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5764034/justin-trudeau-snc-lavalin-broke-ethics-rules/

There were not going to be many job losses.  Those are engineering jobs and the engineering work still needs to be done...they would find jobs if need be.

The election will be close.  A liberal minority seems likely at this point.  But we will see.  I really don't care who wins...I'll care when we elect someone truly for the people...not corporations.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    call me a fool, but somehow I still trust trudeau. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• erebuserebus Posts: 549
    Agreed, especially who the alternatives are, definitely the lesser of the evils
    some flaws, but will do
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
    Trudeau is the greatest PM ever...actually the greatest world leader EVER.  It's not even close.  He needs to export his sunny ways worldwide...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    erebus said:
    Agreed, especially who the alternatives are, definitely the lesser of the evils
    some flaws, but will do
    There certainly isn't any other candidate who is more viable. There is no way I won't vote for Trudeau this election. Also, I have never really given a shit about the SNC thing anyhow. I don't know or care what people think about that.... I believe Trudeau did do it all because he was thinking about protecting jobs, because he thought that would serve him well politically, and that means he was doing what I expect high level politicians to do. As I have always said, my views of politicians are completely relative. In the horrible scheme of things, this ain't that bad. If there was someone better running and with more potential for what I want, I'd be all over it. But Trudeau is still the best option right now. If Scheer wins the election I will be super pissed off.
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    ...and the Liberals continue to shut down any investigations into their misdeeds. Makes one yearn for the days of $90G payoffs and $20 glasses of orange juice, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
    ...and the Liberals continue to shut down any investigations into their misdeeds. Makes one yearn for the days of $90G payoffs and $20 glasses of orange juice, lol.
    I now know why liberals like a weak justice system...lol

I especially like the changing of the law that Harper created that would have allowed the government to strip jihadi jack of the citizenship he does not deserve...I would love to see that terrorist tried in Syria, sentenced in Syria and rot for life in Syria...his parents can join him...they support terrorism.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    If Jihadi Jack wants in...tell him it will be life in a Canadian Military Prison...general population.  I wonder how the members on the Canadian Forces would deal with this loser...3-2-1 commence daily beating while the military police saunter over to help that traitor...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    If Jihadi Jack wants in...tell him it will be life in a Canadian Military Prison...general population.  I wonder how the members on the Canadian Forces would deal with this loser...3-2-1 commence daily beating while the military police saunter over to help that traitor...
    Agreed, Jack’s even more of a Canadian of convenience than Khadr. At least Khadr was actually born to.

Apparently I have a claim to British citizenship or visas through my grandmother, however I’ve never considered myself British (other than living in a former colony, lol).

Only a Liberal strategist could go on tv and say “You can’t ask for more transparency than the provided report’ (likely misquoting and paraphrasing a touch).
    And now Turd’oh is pontificating again, where’s my brick to throw at the tv, lol?

Only a Liberal strategist could go on tv and say “You can’t ask for more transparency than the provided report’ (likely misquoting and paraphrasing a touch).
    And now Turd’oh is pontificating again, where’s my brick to throw at the tv, lol?
    pretty sure that's what the republicans keep saying about the mueller report as well, nearly to the letter. it's not a liberal thing. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited August 2019
    pretty sure that's what the republicans keep saying about the mueller report as well, nearly to the letter. it's not a liberal thing. 
    You make a good point, that the hyper-partisanship that now surrounds this issue (thanks largely to the impending election) now threatens the truth (along with the PM’s obstructing any investigations).
    This goes to the heart of the rule of law and the independence of the legal system, and the way some are quite dismissive of this issue is troubling, to say the least. When an NDP MP says the Harper government wasn’t this bad, that says something...loudly.

Edit for typo, lol.
    Post edited by DarthMaeglin on

You make a good point, that the hyper-partisanship that now surrounds this issue (thanks largely to the impending election) now threatens the truth (along with the PM’s obstructing any investigations).
    This goes to the heart of the rule of law and the independence of the legal system, and the way some are quite dismissive of this issue is troubling, to say the least. When an NDP MP says the Harper government wasn’t this bad, that says something...loudly.

Edit for typo, lol.
    I'm not too interested in one comment from one member of parliament. 

yes, the rule of law should be followed, and any obstruction should be dealt with. intent needs to be established, and that is very hard to prove. 

and like it or not, it also makes a huge difference in who he is running against, and right now, people are dismissing it because they don't see any alternative. I think it also helps (!) what we've been hearing from down south since 2016. it is human nature to compare, and to think "well, he fucked up, but it's not that bad in comparison". 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Edit for typo, lol.

yes, the rule of law should be followed, and any obstruction should be dealt with. intent needs to be established, and that is very hard to prove. 

and like it or not, it also makes a huge difference in who he is running against, and right now, people are dismissing it because they don't see any alternative. I think it also helps (!) what we've been hearing from down south since 2016. it is human nature to compare, and to think "well, he fucked up, but it's not that bad in comparison". 
    The NDP comment I referred to was made by an MP who sat on the ethics committee through the Harper years as well as the current government, which adds weight to his comment, in my opinion, but I get your point (maybe I didn’t give enough context to the statement? My bad.).

I wish we could get away from comparing ourselves to our southern neighbours, but I suppose it’s inevitable, given our geography. That said, relativism allows us to excuse a “lesser” wrong, while I was raised to believe 2 wrongs don’t make a right. Just because what Trudeau (I’ll be nice) did isn’t as bad as what Trump had done doesn’t excuse our PM’s obstinate arrogance and self-righteousness. In fact, I’ll go so far as to say what the current Canadian government has done in this case is AS bad as most (if not all) of what the American President is alleged to have done.

The current panel on cbc (MPs from the 3 main parties) would have been comical if this wasn’t so troubling.

Edit for typo, lol.

The NDP comment I referred to was made by an MP who sat on the ethics committee through the Harper years as well as the current government, which adds weight to his comment, in my opinion, but I get your point (maybe I didn’t give enough context to the statement? My bad.).

I wish we could get away from comparing ourselves to our southern neighbours, but I suppose it’s inevitable, given our geography. That said, relativism allows us to excuse a “lesser” wrong, while I was raised to believe 2 wrongs don’t make a right. Just because what Trudeau (I’ll be nice) did isn’t as bad as what Trump had done doesn’t excuse our PM’s obstinate arrogance and self-righteousness. In fact, I’ll go so far as to say what the current Canadian government has done in this case is AS bad as most (if not all) of what the American President is alleged to have done.

The current panel on cbc (MPs from the 3 main parties) would have been comical if this wasn’t so troubling.
    I agree with you. I'm just commenting on why I think canadians aren't as concerned about it as some think they should be. I honestly don't understand enough about it at this point to have an opinion either way. 

I don't know why, but I personally think it's more likely he made a pretty big gaffe out of ignorance rather than trying to obstruct justice. 

it's hard to know, especially here. there are trudeau haters and lovers, very few in betweeners. so it's hard for me to give much credence to either without personally knowing more of the facts. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Edit for typo, lol.

I agree with you. I'm just commenting on why I think canadians aren't as concerned about it as some think they should be. I honestly don't understand enough about it at this point to have an opinion either way. 

I don't know why, but I personally think it's more likely he made a pretty big gaffe out of ignorance rather than trying to obstruct justice. 

it's hard to know, especially here. there are trudeau haters and lovers, very few in betweeners. so it's hard for me to give much credence to either without personally knowing more of the facts. 
    You’re likely right that the initial offences may have occurred out of ignorance (check our PM’s resume), however for me the active obstruction came after the story broke in the Globe & Mail, with the smear campaign against JWR, the selective application of cabinet confidentiality, along with Trudeau’s ever-changing narrative (while the other players have remained consistent in their facts). That’s where wilful intent kicks in for me.

I’ll admit (as evidenced by my previous posts, lol), I was never a Trudeau fan, but wanted him to prove me wrong. There have been a couple times I’ve agreed with what he’s done, but I can’t recall them right now, lol.

Should Max and the PPC be given a spot at the leaders debate?

I don't agree with his policies but I think he should
    Especially when the Greens, NDP and the bloc are there. Pretty petty for May not to want to let him in when they have been more than charitable with her over the years. And the Bloc only represents the interests of one Province
    erebus said:

Especially when the Greens, NDP and the bloc are there. Pretty petty for May not to want to let him in when they have been more than charitable with her over the years. And the Bloc only represents the interests of one Province
    Yes.  The PPC should be included in the debate.  The Bloc only represents Quebec and are separatist should no be at the debate...but as we all know Quebec is the crybaby of the federation...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited August 2019
    erebus said:

Absolutely. His party is the only one that tends farther right than the Conservatives. The left is fractured into 3+ parties, while the right has had only had 1, which has consolidated all the votes from the right, making it easier for the Cons to win. Until now. And dumb-dumb May wants to keep the only other right wing party out of the debates?? She's an idiot, and I've said so for a long time - she is the reason I never vote Green.
    I'd go out drinking with May.  She is way better than Singh who is just making the NDP irrelevant federally.  We will see what the voters decide in less than a couple of months.  I live in NDP territory.  I see 2 ridings going liberal and 1 going Conservativ...the rest will be tight races.  Maxime Bernier PPC will have no bearing on this election, and I'd be surprised if Bernier even won his seat.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I think it will be a Liberal minority government
    Greens maybe 2-3 seats
    NDP will lose official party status
    PPC may win 1 seat
    not sure on the 2 that got booted from the Libs. Independents cannot do much for their ridings

Here is the thing.  Trudeau legalized Cannabis.  Name any other politician in Canada that would deliver that promise.  I have given in a long hard thought.   Trudeau is not mean like conservatives(these days).  I am voting liberal because he the PM of a respected country legalized a safe drug.  For that, I say Thank you.  He has my vote.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Andrew Sheer is his own worst enemy.  Why is so hard for him to respect people and their wishes...

The thing with Sheer is I can see him letting his MPs introduce legislation on Abortion and gay marriage, I would not trust him the Cannabis file.  It will stay legal but more regulated.  The Cannabis rollout in Ontario has been disastrous.  Almost a year in, we still have no cannabis store.  Illegal dispensaries pop up time to time...when tubby out west he should have popped into some of Alberta's Cannabis stores.  Apparently, they got it right and sell the most pot and there only 4 million people.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I had to get an anti-biotic today, only $20...I have no benefits.  That would have cost $100 in the US.
    Give Peas A Chance…