Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    Parksy said:
    Here’s a bold prediction for the weekend. Despite the fear narrative being pushed, protests will be peaceful (outside of possibly isolated incidents). As long as the counter-protesters are smart and stay away (I see a higher likelihood of them showing up here in Toronto).

And of course we all know that any counter-protesters are on the side of the angels and are therefore utterly innocent of any provocation and any conflicts are completely the fault of these dirty, nasty truckers. (Disengage sarcasm, lol.)
    I'm not with you on the fear narrative being pushed.  I think that every person needs to understand where their news is coming from and decide on their own what's biased, what's fake, and what's real. 

I think that when you add up 'isolated incidents' ... and what point does it go from peaceful to a nuisance? Maybe I'm just reading what you're saying a different way but to me it's like you have this prediction that "OH, this is going to be fine, with the exception of some isolated incidents." Well, that's convenient. lol   That's like me saying "Had an amazing date the other night... crapped my pants at dinner, but other than that... amazing." 

We're beyond truckers at this point.  I don't agree with the PM using this term, but I will.. this is a fringe minority.  This is the Canadian version of the types of people who show up at Trump rallies in the states. The agendas may be different, but the types of people are very  much in line.  I base this on me witnessing protesters in Vaughn, witnessing protesters on the 401, social media posts, live broadcast news, and main stream media news. Reports of harassment on the streets of Ottawa.  Me actually witnessing harassment. My friend who lives in downtown Ottawa and is right livid with what's going on. Like I get what a lot of these folks are protesting for, but it's just way too convenient to ignore and not pay attention to the shit it's bringing. 

Trudeau and the Liberals are handling this incorrectly. If anyone, THEY are the ones trying to focus on these 'isolated incidents' you speak of.  And while I don't agree with what they're doing as a political party, you can't possibly blame the media.  Are they supposed to ignore the incidents this protest has caused? Are they supposed to ignore confederate flags? Trump flags? Expressions of racism?  Defacing Terry Fox? Parking on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier?  Like I'm with you... I don't think anyone should take a couple incidents and paint the group with the same brush... but at the same time, are they honestly supposed to just ignore this stuff? If a citizen watches or reads a news report about Trump and Confederate flags at this protest, it's up to that person to be able to understand that its not everyone but at the same time...  and I gotta be honest here... I personally want to know that because that personally pisses me off to no end. As much as people hate on the media, I'm glad they do what they do. Because I'm not there to see what's going on, I'm relying on them. 

And while you may point to the media and blame them for exaggerating facts and focusing only on the negative aspects of the protest. Look at the other fellow on this thread doing the same thing. Focusing on all the 'good' these protesters are doing. A whole bunch of people just like him as well as small media groups as well.  So it's VERY much a two way street if you ask me.  People talking about how huge this protest is and how it represents Canada as a country. And how these protesters represent the moral fabric of Canada. Really? If you want to blame media for pushing false narratives...  you can't deny that there is a lot of that going on by both sides of this mess. 

I like that you stress media literacy/awareness. As I’ve said before, I don’t begrudge private media companies their bias. However, if they want to avoid critiques of “fake news” then it would be good for them to strive for accuracy. But we do have a responsibility to consider what we’re digesting. The only outlet I expect non-biased coverage from is the one that we all pay for.

As far as the “isolated incidents” I was only trying to acknowledge the possibility of individuals acting out who are not representative of the entire group. That doesn’t excuse such things or mean they shouldn’t be covered, only that they need to be kept in perspective.

You say you want to know Trump and Confederate flags are being waved. Fair enough, but I’ve only been able to find 2 confederate flags and one nazi. Should that be representative of the tens of thousands of other people that were there? Because many people are portraying these as having been common sights.

Do I like that I find myself quasi-defending people I wouldn’t personally associate with? Fuck no, but it’s like cops who have a duty to investigate gangland killings, they don’t get to choose the victims.
    When it comes to the offensive flags, they are not isolated. Throughout the pandemic at all the anti vaccine and anti restriction protests these flags have flown. In all parts of the country. It's part of the roots of the movement.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2022
    dignin said:
    Parksy said:
    Here’s a bold prediction for the weekend. Despite the fear narrative being pushed, protests will be peaceful (outside of possibly isolated incidents). As long as the counter-protesters are smart and stay away (I see a higher likelihood of them showing up here in Toronto).

And of course we all know that any counter-protesters are on the side of the angels and are therefore utterly innocent of any provocation and any conflicts are completely the fault of these dirty, nasty truckers. (Disengage sarcasm, lol.)
    I'm not with you on the fear narrative being pushed.  I think that every person needs to understand where their news is coming from and decide on their own what's biased, what's fake, and what's real. 

I think that when you add up 'isolated incidents' ... and what point does it go from peaceful to a nuisance? Maybe I'm just reading what you're saying a different way but to me it's like you have this prediction that "OH, this is going to be fine, with the exception of some isolated incidents." Well, that's convenient. lol   That's like me saying "Had an amazing date the other night... crapped my pants at dinner, but other than that... amazing." 

We're beyond truckers at this point.  I don't agree with the PM using this term, but I will.. this is a fringe minority.  This is the Canadian version of the types of people who show up at Trump rallies in the states. The agendas may be different, but the types of people are very  much in line.  I base this on me witnessing protesters in Vaughn, witnessing protesters on the 401, social media posts, live broadcast news, and main stream media news. Reports of harassment on the streets of Ottawa.  Me actually witnessing harassment. My friend who lives in downtown Ottawa and is right livid with what's going on. Like I get what a lot of these folks are protesting for, but it's just way too convenient to ignore and not pay attention to the shit it's bringing. 

Trudeau and the Liberals are handling this incorrectly. If anyone, THEY are the ones trying to focus on these 'isolated incidents' you speak of.  And while I don't agree with what they're doing as a political party, you can't possibly blame the media.  Are they supposed to ignore the incidents this protest has caused? Are they supposed to ignore confederate flags? Trump flags? Expressions of racism?  Defacing Terry Fox? Parking on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier?  Like I'm with you... I don't think anyone should take a couple incidents and paint the group with the same brush... but at the same time, are they honestly supposed to just ignore this stuff? If a citizen watches or reads a news report about Trump and Confederate flags at this protest, it's up to that person to be able to understand that its not everyone but at the same time...  and I gotta be honest here... I personally want to know that because that personally pisses me off to no end. As much as people hate on the media, I'm glad they do what they do. Because I'm not there to see what's going on, I'm relying on them. 

And while you may point to the media and blame them for exaggerating facts and focusing only on the negative aspects of the protest. Look at the other fellow on this thread doing the same thing. Focusing on all the 'good' these protesters are doing. A whole bunch of people just like him as well as small media groups as well.  So it's VERY much a two way street if you ask me.  People talking about how huge this protest is and how it represents Canada as a country. And how these protesters represent the moral fabric of Canada. Really? If you want to blame media for pushing false narratives...  you can't deny that there is a lot of that going on by both sides of this mess. 

I like that you stress media literacy/awareness. As I’ve said before, I don’t begrudge private media companies their bias. However, if they want to avoid critiques of “fake news” then it would be good for them to strive for accuracy. But we do have a responsibility to consider what we’re digesting. The only outlet I expect non-biased coverage from is the one that we all pay for.

As far as the “isolated incidents” I was only trying to acknowledge the possibility of individuals acting out who are not representative of the entire group. That doesn’t excuse such things or mean they shouldn’t be covered, only that they need to be kept in perspective.

You say you want to know Trump and Confederate flags are being waved. Fair enough, but I’ve only been able to find 2 confederate flags and one nazi. Should that be representative of the tens of thousands of other people that were there? Because many people are portraying these as having been common sights.

Do I like that I find myself quasi-defending people I wouldn’t personally associate with? Fuck no, but it’s like cops who have a duty to investigate gangland killings, they don’t get to choose the victims.
    When it comes to the offensive flags, they are not isolated. Throughout the pandemic at all the anti vaccine and anti restriction protests these flags have flown. In all parts of the country. It's part of the roots of the movement.
    I’ve seen them in Calgary with my own eyes.  Pro-Trump flags and banners as well. Dudes sporting Proud Boys jackets 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    Double post
  • Options
    GoFundMe ends payments to convoy protest, citing reports of violence and harassment

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/gofundme-stops-payments-1.6340526
  • Options
    dignin said:
    Parksy said:

I’ve seen them in Calgary with my own eyes.  Pro-Trump flags and banners as well. Dudes sporting Proud Boys jackets 
    Same.
  • Options

Lawsuit filed against convoy organizers, seeking damages on behalf of downtown Ottawa residents

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/lawsuit-filed-against-convoy-organizers-seeking-damages-on-behalf-of-downtown-ottawa-residents-1.5768731
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
  • Options
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,992
    dignin said:
    GoFundMe ends payments to convoy protest, citing reports of violence and harassment

That ain't going to end well.  Just recently saw the press conference the truckers and their lawyer (s) had last week. All info presented to GFM.

Guess that's one way to stop the convoy.  Wonder who's behind that?
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
  • Options
    200000 thousands jobs lost in January .. the government blamed omnicron.

400000 jobs created in the us…they must have gotten the weaker version…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Nami said:
    dignin said:

That ain't going to end well.  Just recently saw the press conference the truckers and their lawyer (s) had last week. All info presented to GFM.

Guess that's one way to stop the convoy.  Wonder who's behind that?
    They already have another fund raiser under way and I proudly contributed to their cause…it will be better now.  The money was to
    centralized, to easy to come under attack from liberal pussies…now the money is fragmented, much better…and now everyone will dig in even more.  Too bad these truckers weren’t terrorist Trudeau would give them 10.5 million.  Let me know when blm feeds the homeless, cleans the side walks, cleans up their garbage, brings their own toilets, and does not destroy private business…These folks have money…
    Turns out the swamp in Ottawa is deeper than i thought…ALL political parties are cults and all politicians in Canada are pussies…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

CBC says 50% of Canadians will not be watching the Olympics .. those who watch are supportive of genocide.  Own that.  Same with those athletes … they can own it as well.  But they’ll be on social media crying when swept into a Chinese quarantine detention  center … just like the crying whining Belgium athlete…looks good on them.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    What monsters these truckers are. If they shutdown the ambassador bridge in Windsor and the bluewater bridge in Sarnia..Then things will get interesting…it would really fuck with the US. In case you haven’t figured out by now that these truckers are well organized maybe quit watching MSM…these truckers know from experience if you park 10 to 80 pound equipment in mass quantities you are fucked…and when heavy wreckers refuse to help…you are even more fucked…love it. In a week Quebec dropped vaxx tax Alberta amd Saskatchewan lifting all restrictions The conversation is starting in Ontario The world is dropping the fraudulent restrictions but many in Canada like cowering at home.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,975
    edited February 2022
    Edit: Wrong thread. Coffee time.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    She’s a very good MSM journalist…truthful and trustworthy…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    I will always support the right to protest, but without being disruptive.  Particularly in Alberta, where laws are in place (passed into law in 2020) to prevent highways, railways, borders, etc. from being blocked or otherwise impeded as a result of indigenous protests in the province.  This law was passed by the conservatives to ensure commerce would not be affected by protests and universally applauded by the same folks who are now involved in similar actions of civil unrest.  The protests by the BLM movement were also uniformly criticized by the regressive right for not being “law abiding” and causing civil unrest. 

The same folks and their (quite puzzling) demi-gods (Trump, Tucker Carlson, etc) are now in full support of these illegal protests.  My heart bleeds for the poor downtrodden and unfairly treated white people involved who have had such a hard life since confederation 155 years ago. 

The hypocrisy is astounding. 
  • Options
  • Options
    I will always support the right to protest, but without being disruptive.  Particularly in Alberta, where laws are in place (passed into law in 2020) to prevent highways, railways, borders, etc. from being blocked or otherwise impeded as a result of indigenous protests in the province.  This law was passed by the conservatives to ensure commerce would not be affected by protests and universally applauded by the same folks who are now involved in similar actions of civil unrest.  The protests by the BLM movement were also uniformly criticized by the regressive right for not being “law abiding” and causing civil unrest. 

The same folks and their (quite puzzling) demi-gods (Trump, Tucker Carlson, etc) are now in full support of these illegal protests.  My heart bleeds for the poor downtrodden and unfairly treated white people involved who have had such a hard life since confederation 155 years ago. 

Pick up a history book.  This country has a history of illegal protest, job actions and sometimes violence…you like to judge a group of good decent hard working truckers and farmers because of a few people with flags…ever drive semi for a living?

LMFAO.

at lest they aren’t burning down churches, destroying private business, tearing down statues…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Pick up a history book.  This country has a history of illegal protest, job actions and sometimes violence…you like to judge a group of good decent hard working truckers and farmers because of a few people with flags…ever drive semi for a living?

LMFAO.

at lest they aren’t burning down churches, destroying private business, tearing down statues…
    I rest my case.  
  • Options
    Seeing how sensitive you were in the soccer thread … I doubt you would  last a week in that industry in 2022…

Now produce evidence that illegal blockades don’t have an impact.

and you don’t give a shit about First Nation rights…you just use 155 years of confederation as an poor excuse to make argument…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    I will add, one of my grandfathers was a rancher and farmer for his entire life. He and a fellow homesteader steered a hundred head of cattle from Calgary to Barrhead when there was one bridge in Edmonton to a parcel of land received from the government. 

My other grandfather owned an orchard in the Okanagan. 

Both were conservatives. Neither one would be supportive of these protests, that I can guarantee. New conservatism would not have been up their alley. I remember my GF who owned the orchard being vehemently opposed to the Reform Party calling them a bunch of wingnuts in the 90s  It surprised me and made me question my opinion on the whole movement quickly, because if he was wise enough to know something I didn’t, I best listen. 

Of course, 10 years in Ft McMurray surrounded by and taking in the constant barrage of new
    conservatism caused me to buy into it for a while. It’s dangerous to be all in on political ideology folks. 
  • Options
    And I have brother in law who is indigenous…he also drove truck and supports these truckers.  Is he a racist?  

My grandfather participated in the ford strikes in the 50s and violence occurred…ask an auto worker if those violent strikes paid off…considering anyone associated in the supply chain to the assembly plant now make, not only liveable wages but many far out earn those with their fancy degrees…and you like those pussy politicians have the nerve to denigrate an entire group because of a few bad apples…your laughable.  Another not capable of backing up your bs…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,495
    So a rally is planned in front of Toronto General Hospital, let’s see how quickly the police enforce the law about no protests at health care facilities.

My guess is nothing will be done because these are health care worker supporters.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    And when it comes to the vaccine…their body their choice.  How many fattys here?  Who in two years never lifted a finger to lose weight, excercise and eat healthy…which by doing gives you a better chance… lol. Yet they come on here giving medical advice…lmfao.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    And I have brother in law who is indigenous…he also drove truck and supports these truckers.  Is he a racist?  

My grandfather participated in the ford strikes in the 50s and violence occurred…ask an auto worker if those violent strikes paid off…considering anyone associated in the supply chain to the assembly plant now make, not only liveable wages but many far out earn those with their fancy degrees…and you like those pussy politicians have the nerve to denigrate an entire group because of a few bad apples…your laughable.  Another not capable of backing up your bs…
    I never called anyone a racist. I called it hypocrisy.  
    You have no problem with civil unrest for a supportable cause. Fair enough, but to be consistent you would also have to support civil unrest for the BLM movement (they have tried peacefully (for the most part) for over 60 years, or the indigenous folks concerned about the planet, or any other movement people in a free country believe is “worth” civil unrest. 

I also never said I “liked the politicians”. Frankly, I think Justin Trudeau is the worst Prime Minister of my lifetime. His lack of leadership in this is also rather astounding. As I said earlier, I support the right to protest (you quite unsurprisingly glossed over that).  I do not support blocking border crossings or highway intersections or being disruptive to law abiding citizens.

Fighting for freedom while taking freedom away from others is mind boggling. Hats off to those peacefully protesting.

The funny thing is, you just consistently want to argue… and not engage in meaningful dialogue. I’m not taking a stand as a “left winger”. I have voted for almost any legitimate political party you can think of. I want the pandemic restrictions to go away as much as the next person,
    but I cannot support this kind of civil unrest, which is once again… hypocritical. 
  • Options
    Well… that’s all for me folks. Old Meltdown here hasn’t changed. I am not upset… kind of hope this individual gets the help they need… maybe do some yoga… find that inner zen. 

Going through life so angry is no way to live. I’ll never forget the first time I performed yoga about two years ago and was introduced to this thing called savasana. A pose where you lie on the ground and release all the tension in your body, including your jaw and face. 
    The first time I performed this pose, tears began to roll down my cheeks, uncontrollably.  It was as if this was what my body and brain needed…. and needed it for a while. Deep breaths and total relaxation, just letting it all go. 

I began to forgive myself and like myself. All of that anger is now gone and I look at the entire world with a focus and clarity I have never had before. 

Be kind to each other, we can get through this. 
  • Options
    And bringing up the evils of confederation to make your argument against a diverse group of protestors, protesting a government that feel the government has gone to far is weak…very weak.

As for indigenous leaders…well they are politicians and like all politicians they are crooked and don’t like accountability…it’s no secret that their leaders have been lining their pockets for decades along with a few weasels who slithered their way into these band offices and are lining their pockets all the while the people they proclaim to care for continue to suffer in poverty…these weasels know who they are…band members know who…and remember Harper passed legislation that was intended to hold those reserve’s accountable that your racist prime minister scrapped.

The big difference between you and me is I despise our colonial government and call them out every chance I can.  I will always stand with the working class over government over reach…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,401
    Why do you guys interact with meltdown, it's like giving crack to a troll.  Just put him on ignore and you can't see his/her/their posts.   The thread is so much better with his/her/their posts all blanked out :)
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Why do you guys interact with meltdown, it's like giving crack to a troll.  Just put him on ignore and you can't see his/her/their posts.   The thread is so much better with his/her/their posts all blanked out :)
    My bad. Hadn’t been around here is a long time. Apologize for the enabling.