The Food Thread

Comments

• jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Also found a bunch of morel mushrooms tonight. Should make for a tasty treat this weekend.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wow! This thread got buried. Everyone stop eating?  

Anyways, made this tasty treat. Fresh sauerkraut with freshly made braunschweiger on a slice of pumpernickel.  
    My German dad (RIP) would love you for that.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    Where has the Asian Pear been all my life? What a most refreshing fruit!

chinese-happy.jpg
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,552

Pretty sure they did an Asian Pear thing on the original Iron Chef.

Damn, I miss that series.  Loved it -- unintentional comedy scale was through the roof & the food looked amazing.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited May 2019

Yeah, they're really good! A co-worker brought some in last month - I think he has a tree in his yard - and it was literally the juiciest piece of fruit I've ever eaten. It actually became a problem, lol. I ended up having to eat the thing over the staff kitchen sink after having it run all down my arm. :lol: Next time I will cut it up.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I just wish they had a bit more flavor, like an apple.  But yeah, those are some juicy suckers.

(by the way, nicely-kempt fingernails and cuticles, Juggler)
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Wild Black Raspberry season has officially begun with but a single ripe berry.  It will be a busy 2 weeks picking, but I am very relieved to see the fruit set isn't too late to pick before vacation.
    The blueberries should hold out until we get back, but if not there are few enough for my old man to stop out and pick every few days.

Summer food season is awesome.  Picked the first snap peas yesterday so a stir fry is coming as soon as we eat all the weekend's leftovers.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I'm currently in the process of making croissants for the first time.
    Last night I made the dough which did not take long.
    Today I laminated the pastry which involved rolling out, folding, refrigerating three times.
    It is now in the fridge and will be cut, prooved, and baked tomorrow.
    I hope they turn out right.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,552
    rgambs said:
    Wild Black Raspberry season has officially begun with but a single ripe berry.  It will be a busy 2 weeks picking, but I am very relieved to see the fruit set isn't too late to pick before vacation.
    The blueberries should hold out until we get back, but if not there are few enough for my old man to stop out and pick every few days.

Summer food season is awesome.  Picked the first snap peas yesterday so a stir fry is coming as soon as we eat all the weekend's leftovers.
    Jersey Tomatoes and Corn (the best 2 things about this state) are right around the corner.  Pretty much drooling just thinking about it.
    They turned out alright! Inside could've been a bit more flaky (like more of a honeycomb appearance). They taste great.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    They look good.  (Are they heavy, or light?)
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Those look awesome T_A 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Pork belly burnt ends off the smoker!! These things are like crack!! 
    They turned out alright! Inside could've been a bit more flaky (like more of a honeycomb appearance). They taste great.

Nice job!! Bread is an art. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    So you're saying that they're wack?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720

Those are the best!  I've made those quite a few times since I got my smoker a couple years ago.  So easy and only takes 2-3 hours....might have to get those going again soon.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Nice! Love those. They look great. Speaking of pork belly, I had some bacon curing for the past week, and smoked it yesterday:

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    ^^^^^^^^^
    Thats a beauty!!!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Yeah how the fuck do I get some of those in my life. 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    Also found a bunch of morel mushrooms tonight. Should make for a tasty treat this weekend.
    Love me some morels!  Mmmmm!
    They look good.  (Are they heavy, or light?)
    In between. Thanks. Disappointed I didn't get that honeycomb structure inside.
    Those look awesome T_A 
    Thanks Jose. Tasted nice but as per my previous post the inside structure did not turn out as it should.

Nice job!! Bread is an art. 
    Thanks. As per my previous posts the inside structure did not turn out. I give myself a 6 out of 10.
    I made the dough earlier for my next batch. I believe I know where I went wrong. Hopefully my second attempt is an improvement.
    Btw,
    This is the recipe I am following.
    Have a look at the photos of the inside structure compared to mine.

Jersey tomato season!

Jersey tomato season!

Oh, hell yes.  Pinch of good salt and you have perfection.

I used some on Tuesday when I cooked dinner for a guest and my family.
    Pasta made that morning,
    Sauteed the shrimp, fresh basil, garlic, those tomatoes all cut up....finished the spaghetti in with the mix, it was fucking glorious.
    Sometimes, simple knocks it out of the park.

Jersey Corn should be up soon, that shit is bomb as well.
    Jersey tomato season!

Oh, hell yes.  Pinch of good salt and you have perfection.

I used some on Tuesday when I cooked dinner for a guest and my family.
    Pasta made that morning,
    Sauteed the shrimp, fresh basil, garlic, those tomatoes all cut up....finished the spaghetti in with the mix, it was fucking glorious.
    Sometimes, simple knocks it out of the park.

Jersey Corn should be up soon, that shit is bomb as well.
    That sounds awesome. Toasted a nice slide of rye bread added some mayo, nice slices of those fuckers and some salt and pepper. So good 
    That sounds great, think I will have a snack soon w/a few slices
    It's funny...the tomato never really took off as a hand fruit.
    I know a guy who eats them that way.  I always slice 'em.