The Food Thread

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    I think that if there is something with pork belly in it, you should always order that! So bowl #1 sounds amazing.
    I would also consider trying the pig ear appetizer, because that is just intriguing. I've never tried it... but it's deep fried, so is almost certainly good, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    I’d go with either #1 or #8, some combo of steam buns, and either the pork gyoza or the pig ears.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,419
    Classic is ramen and gyoza.  There is nothing on that menu other than the pig ear pad thai that I would consider bold. All of the soups and ingredients are fairly typical. More and more places serve buns but I don't think I have ever seen that in Japan (not that it matters). I don't like fried things in ramen even if very well done. That can make the soup greasy and the fried food soggy.  But hey you might like it.

Also, I avoid crabstick unless its real crab, which is rare, but not unheard of.  #1, 5, 8 and 9 look good to me. Ramen IMO is a bit of a heavy meal. For me, it does not pair well with deep fried appetizers such as tonkatsu. I tend to like lighter acidic salads and cold vinegar, ponzu or chili flavored dishes with ramen. But I would certainly try a bunch of those apps without ordering ramen. Where is the place and what is the name?

How to eat? Slurp your noodles in between eating the toppings and sipping the broth with a spoon. Finish the soup if its good. Great ramen has a rich, complex, broth, fresh noodles made to the chef's desired firmness, and high quality, well made toppings.
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    #1 for sure. The broth should be rich and cloudy. The egg should be a little sweet and with the yolk a little soft. The pork belly should melt in your mouth. Slurp away. Some spills onto your shirt are bonus points. And I'm sure you'll have some in your beard for a late night snack. :wink:

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    jeffbr said:
    #1 for sure. The broth should be rich and cloudy. The egg should be a little sweet and with the yolk a little soft. The pork belly should melt in your mouth. Slurp away. Some spills onto your shirt are bonus points. And I'm sure you'll have some in your beard for a late night snack. :wink:

Now we are talking my style here!

The place is called Ramen Katsu, near Akron, Ohio.  It isn't some super-amazing place, but it was on the Cleveland news.  So I am told.  
    I don't get the Cleveland news out here.  
    I guess that's why it's good to have friends, they invite you out of the woods to do fun townthings.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I feel like I want to try all the steam buns and gyoza sounds like something I never knew was missing from my life.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    rgambs said:
    I feel like I want to try all the steam buns and gyoza sounds like something I never knew was missing from my life.
    Gyoza is fucking delicious.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Get Right, matching my inout to a t.
    #1and Gyoza.
    Ask them if they can make it spicy.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Went for Greek tonight.  Lamb and oysters, tough to beat.

Forgot to snap a pic prior to digging in.  I asked for rare and it was medium.
    Oh well- still good w/martinis 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Went for Greek tonight.  Lamb and oysters, tough to beat.

Forgot to snap a pic prior to digging in.  I asked for rare and it was medium.
    Oh well- still good w/martinis 
    Looks banging. Where’s that at?
    Marlton. Estia is the name of the place 
    Martlon, home of our ElwayVedder
  • crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    Marlton, Moorestown, and Mount Laurel are my go-to for food in NJ.  Bensalem and Bristol in PA. 
    Marlton, Moorestown, and Mount Laurel are my go-to for food in NJ.  Bensalem and Bristol in PA. 
    Yeah, there are some good places.  Cherry Hill as well, although Philly is only 10 miles away and has a huge variety comparitively..   
    Yeah, there are some good places.  Cherry Hill as well, although Philly is only 10 miles away and has a huge variety comparitively..   
    Well, Philly is a given.  Haha love dim sum garden and chinatown square
    Well, correction... they were my go tos. I'm in VA now
    Good choices!
    Thanks folks, I will surely report back.  Have a nice food weekend!  I have pizza and cake and then Ramen today so I will try not to eat on Sunday lol

Laid by some breakfast burritos last weekend.  Chickens came out of molt late March and we backlogged 3 dozen extra jumbo eggs through early April.
    Bacon, ham, and Bob Evans sausage varieties.  All have a sharp cheddar/Amish hot pepper cheese shredded blend and a hot pepper/onion/tomato paste.  It's like an extra extra thick salsa, otherwise the water separates in freezing.
    They are very good, textures get a bit skewed in freezing and microwaving, but the flavors actually meld like a pot of soup and taste alone is superior to fresh, believe it or not.
    And the convenience...
    I hate most microwaved food but those make me hungry
    I hate most microwaved food but those make me hungry
    Wrap in a damp paper towel to keep the tortilla from drying out.  Honestly, I like the dry bits lol

I need practice making them, most of those are way too big!
    Watching them made, most should be folded like a square more than a torpedo.  I tend to make them too long, as well.
    Watching them made, most should be folded like a square more than a torpedo.  I tend to make them too long, as well.
    Yeah, but you need "stretchy" steamed tortillas to get that fat wrap, I think.
    My wife prefers the torpedos :lol:
    #1and Gyoza.

I try! I love ramen with kimchi, tofu and little chili oil. Fun fact: I do not own a microwave.
    Get_Right said:
    #1and Gyoza.

I try! I love ramen with kimchi, tofu and little chili oil. Fun fact: I do not own a microwave.
    But, but, but how do you eat Hot Pockets???
    I kid.

Microwave is my favorite way to do sweet corn on the cob.
    I use the microwave to heat up food for the 4 year old....cannot recall the last time I used it on any food for myself.  Would rather eat it cold.

My wife seems to like torpedo style, as well!
    I actually saw something on microwaved corn...and did it a few times, years ago.  It was good 
    I prefer to boil water ...turn it off....and pop the corn in.
    Jays elbow room? Otts?
    Ha.  I've driven past Jay's a bunch of times and always laughed when there were lots of cars out front at 10 or 11 AM.
    rgambs said:
    Get_Right said:
    #1and Gyoza.

But, but, but how do you eat Hot Pockets???
    I kid.

Microwave is my favorite way to do sweet corn on the cob.
    Toaster oven.  My kids can wait 20 mins.