The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My smoker runs too hot all of the sudden and it's made it much harder to use. Smoked wings sounds pretty awesome, I wonder if you could then drop them in the fryer to crisp the skin?
    Seems like it could be gross or amazing.
    I know smoked meat does not do well in the microwave (not that any meat does) and the smoke taste sharpens and sours.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited July 2019
    I fried up some homemade chicken wings today! Extremely tasty

Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Looks good!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited July 2019
    I thought I'd add to the wing talk of the last couple days haha

fried in peanut oil and tossed with Frank's extra hot buffalo, like @rgambs said!
    Post edited by ehbacon on
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    edited July 2019
    Good haul at farm... tomatoes, dozen ears of corn, basket of shishitos, a long hot, a jalapeno, some watermelon

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The tomatoes are the best I have had this year.
    One with Hawaiian red salt, one with ghost pepper salt, the third with smoked salt.  All with a little pepper 
    So great.  (Smoked salt was best)

Those peppers....so great.

• mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    Those peppers....so great.

Love shishitos!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Tonight I made a Korean dish for the first time. 
    Korean sizzling chicken (recipe here: https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/korean-sizzling-chicken?fbclid=IwAR2C5TiLN9BWMULF90TGglanS30Whi-aput4P7a9_q6FUOamj9bUQP6o68Q)

It was so good!

I cooked it in a wok before transferring to a hot cast iron grill

Served on the cast iron grill in front of me at the table

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Looks very good!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Damn that does look good.
    I've always thought it would be awesome to host and sponsor immigrant families just so that they would cook their home dishes for me.

The benefit of helping people would totally be secondary lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Never have cut the scallions (assuming that spring onion is the same thing/family?) so thickly, will have to try.
    Watched the link and I think yours looks as good/better than theirs. 
    Was the chicken spicy?  They have a Korean Market a few miles away, might want to try that marinade.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited July 2019
    Thanks guys. You should definitely try cooking it. I've never heard of scallions so am not sure if they are the same as spring onions. It wasn't too spicy. I bought my ingredients from a local Asian supermarket.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Googled and...spring onion is the same thing that we call a scallion/green onion in the US. 

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    mca47 said:
    Thinking it is a chicken wing kind of night.  Defrosting some and will cook tomorrow if they are not ready for tonight.

Last night I ate three ears of corn.  That was most of my dinner.  Stuff is like crack.  Thinking I am going to run and get some more at the farm nearby after work.

How do y'all do your wings?

Think I am going to bake this time but have been broiling.  Much faster that way. 
    Curious to hear what the Pearl Jam Food Crew does for theirs....
    Love me some chicken wings, though I don't eat them that often.
    The best way to cook them, and we all know it, is deep fried....then tossed in sauce.  Allows for the perfect cook and perfect crispiness.

If you don't or can't fry them, here's a couple of other ways I do them...

Alton Brown's method for cooking them without deep frying...
    Steam them for 10 minutes.  Let them cool, and dry.  Then cook them in the oven at 400+ degrees.  This method is great.  You cook them partially and while they steam, a good amount of fat comes out.  If you bake them hot without doing this, you get nasty smoke and your house stinks for days.  These won't smoke and they get nice and crispy.  

Grilled or smoked.  Smoke them for hours or grill them indirectly with some wood in the coals. 

Outdoor pizza oven.  I've steamed them prior and have just tossed them in.  Both turned out great.  700-800 degree oven cooked in cast iron.  Oh man!
    I baked and they were really good.  They were not as good as fried, of course, but much healthier.  The baking powder helped them crisp up...about half of them had a darn good skin texture.  (Other half were just ok)  Could have broiled again after tossing in the sauce.

Like the idea of steaming them first.  Need to get a multi tiered steamer like old Alty uses in that method. 

Need to get a smoker one of these days./

It's awesome....highly recommend it.  I went with a pretty basic electric smoker that looks like a mini-fridge.  The electric ones are nice since you don't have to worry about maintaining the temperature all day and babysit it.  As long as you have some good smoke going in there it gets the job done.  This thread has inspired me to smoke some wings this weekend....I'll report back with how it goes.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    It was Ribeye Sunday yesterday 

chinese-happy.jpg
    This is for @crookedcross

• crookedcrosscrookedcross Right Near Da Beach, Boiii Posts: 1,417
    This is for @crookedcross

Haha. Swap leaves with thin sliced ribeye and I will drop my pants
    Now I have to change my drawers 
    Sometimes even dry pasta can elevate leftovers into a superb dish.
    Chicken thighs, tomatoes, olives, peppers, corn, and basil.  

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Last night was fun 

That looks like a dinner in southeast Asia (parts of it anyway) from the food shows I watch.
    That is a good thing.
    Crab dinner is always a great thing!

Not sure that it's a bad problem to have, but this is always how much I cook... for two. Dark meat chicken in some Yoshida sauce, couple big ol' hunks of top sirloin, and some sweet scallops for dessert. Lol
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    What seems like millions of peaches. Peaches for me. Look out. 

The Georgia Peach Truck made an appearance agin this weekend. The wife stocked up

chinese-happy.jpg
    That looks like a dinner in southeast Asia (parts of it anyway) from the food shows I watch.
    That is a good thing.
    Crab dinner is always a great thing!

What food shows? I want to watch.

Crab dinner was a delight.  There was also shrimp and clams that hadn't yet made it to the table.
    Not sure that it's a bad problem to have, but this is always how much I cook... for two. Dark meat chicken in some Yoshida sauce, couple big ol' hunks of top sirloin, and some sweet scallops for dessert. Lol
    Chicken thighs look banging. Scallops too. I recently learned about the double skewers for shrimp and scallops and oh my, what a good and easy idea.
    Chicken thighs look banging. Scallops too. I recently learned about the double skewers for shrimp and scallops and oh my, what a good and easy idea.
    Haha yea pain in the ass with single 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Red snapper on the hooptee grill yummy 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    Fuck yes, stellar work guys!

Cliffy I watch so many....obsessed with them.  I read through many but look up when it gets good.
    Did you check out the new Ramsey show on May Geo?  First episode was really good.  Great scenery and they did some cooking.
    Netflix has lots of stuff.