The Food Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Jersey tomato season!

Oh, hell yes.  Pinch of good salt and you have perfection.

I used some on Tuesday when I cooked dinner for a guest and my family.
    Pasta made that morning,
    Sauteed the shrimp, fresh basil, garlic, those tomatoes all cut up....finished the spaghetti in with the mix, it was fucking glorious.
    Sometimes, simple knocks it out of the park.

Jersey Corn should be up soon, that shit is bomb as well.
    Yooooooooo, the corn. Showed up at the farm yesterday morning, a couple hours after the corn was picked (is corn picked? Haha). Dude had me bite one right there...unreal. Jersey corn at the shore is good to go!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Excellent, I haven't had any yet.  Soon!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242

mca47 said:

Homemade sushi night.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    They look good!

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    hedonist said:
    It's funny...the tomato never really took off as a hand fruit.
    Ha!!

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    mca47 said:

Inside out as well. Nice work.
    Yeah, the rice on the outside is way better.  We did the rolls with the rice on the inside first and got a little carried away before we switched it up.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,103
    edited July 2019
    Had some left over chicken breasts so made chicken salad with what was in the fridge at the current time. No celery so I chopped up a gala apple instead and threw in some onion and tamed jalapeños. The sweetness of the apple mixed in quite nicely with the jalapeño. Lil mayo and some seasoning.....fucking delicious over some tomatoes (yes, Jersey!)
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    That looks great
    mca47 said:
    Yeah, the rice on the outside is way better.  We did the rolls with the rice on the inside first and got a little carried away before we switched it up.  
    Rice on the outside is always better IMO. I think that texture and taste of the seaweed is just wrong right against your tongue with no "padding" from the outside rice. The balance is just off IMO. 
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    A proper hand roll can be a very strong thing.
    ;)
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    A proper hand roll can be a very strong thing.
    ;)
    Just avoid getting "wasabi in your eye".
    CHICKEN SALAD.
    ALL DAY. 
    EVERY DAY. 
    MOTHER FUCKERS!

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    Smoked a brisket for the first time the other day.  Hit the stall when the internal temp hit around 165 so I wrapped it in foil to speed up getting it to 200.  That softened up the bark a bit but I think it turned out pretty good for my first one.

• jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Smoked a brisket for the first time the other day.  Hit the stall when the internal temp hit around 165 so I wrapped it in foil to speed up getting it to 200.  That softened up the bark a bit but I think it turned out pretty good for my first one.

Yum, that looks great. I need to do a brisket soon. I did a pork loin over the weekend to slice thin for sandwiches.  Nothing like smoked meats!

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
    Thinking it is a chicken wing kind of night.  Defrosting some and will cook tomorrow if they are not ready for tonight.

Last night I ate three ears of corn.  That was most of my dinner.  Stuff is like crack.  Thinking I am going to run and get some more at the farm nearby after work.

How do y'all do your wings?

Think I am going to bake this time but have been broiling.  Much faster that way. 
    Curious to hear what the Pearl Jam Food Crew does for theirs....
    Thinking it is a chicken wing kind of night.  Defrosting some and will cook tomorrow if they are not ready for tonight.

Last night I ate three ears of corn.  That was most of my dinner.  Stuff is like crack.  Thinking I am going to run and get some more at the farm nearby after work.

Think I am going to bake this time but have been broiling.  Much faster that way. 
    By phone and then I go pick them up. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,615

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

E, the dog looks upset that they didnt get one.  They look great!

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Wings, deep fried in peanut oil and then tossedinsauce.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Ahhh.  Knowing you, it is some hot as shit sauce, as well.

edited July 2019

I like them super cooked, so a lot of the fat cooks out - I don't like a juicy wing - so just bake them in the oven at 400F until they are really well cooked, and then crank it up to broil until they are a really crispy and really only a couple minutes from burnt.

E, the dog looks upset that they didnt get one.  They look great!

At my brother’s house in Denver!

Otis the dog gets plenty!!

Also, while in the food thread, he is KM of a new Denver restaurant opening August 1

Maine Shack, supposedly the only place in Denver you can get Lobster Rolls, Fried Ipswich Clams, Roast Beef Sandwiches, Clam Chowder.

Owners group mostly from New England area.

Check it out next time in Denver.

https://www.facebook.com/MaineShack/

https://www.5280.com/2018/06/coming-soon-maine-shack/
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

Sounds good, E 

PJSoul...would there be any wing left after that cook?  Does it taste stringy?

Love me some chicken wings, though I don't eat them that often.
    The best way to cook them, and we all know it, is deep fried....then tossed in sauce.  Allows for the perfect cook and perfect crispiness.

If you don't or can't fry them, here's a couple of other ways I do them...

Alton Brown's method for cooking them without deep frying...
    Steam them for 10 minutes.  Let them cool, and dry.  Then cook them in the oven at 400+ degrees.  This method is great.  You cook them partially and while they steam, a good amount of fat comes out.  If you bake them hot without doing this, you get nasty smoke and your house stinks for days.  These won't smoke and they get nice and crispy.  

Grilled or smoked.  Smoke them for hours or grill them indirectly with some wood in the coals. 

Outdoor pizza oven.  I've steamed them prior and have just tossed them in.  Both turned out great.  700-800 degree oven cooked in cast iron.  Oh man!
    mca47 said:

Love me some chicken wings, though I don't eat them that often.
    The best way to cook them, and we all know it, is deep fried....then tossed in sauce.  Allows for the perfect cook and perfect crispiness.

If you don't or can't fry them, here's a couple of other ways I do them...

Alton Brown's method for cooking them without deep frying...
    Steam them for 10 minutes.  Let them cool, and dry.  Then cook them in the oven at 400+ degrees.  This method is great.  You cook them partially and while they steam, a good amount of fat comes out.  If you bake them hot without doing this, you get nasty smoke and your house stinks for days.  These won't smoke and they get nice and crispy.  

Grilled or smoked.  Smoke them for hours or grill them indirectly with some wood in the coals. 

Outdoor pizza oven.  I've steamed them prior and have just tossed them in.  Both turned out great.  700-800 degree oven cooked in cast iron.  Oh man!
    I baked and they were really good.  They were not as good as fried, of course, but much healthier.  The baking powder helped them crisp up...about half of them had a darn good skin texture.  (Other half were just ok)  Could have broiled again after tossing in the sauce.

Like the idea of steaming them first.  Need to get a multi tiered steamer like old Alty uses in that method. 

Need to get a smoker one of these days./