Post your stereo system!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    mrussel1 said:
    You can also try an acrylic platter for some sound improvement.  I definitely noticed better performance of the blue vs the red once it broke in. 
    That's an upgrade I need to do yet.  I get way too much static generated with the metal platter & mat.
    I didn't have a ton of static originally, but now I have none.  I believe that made a difference.  I rarely use a mat now.  
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    dudeman said:
    If the stylus you have is new, I wouldn't worry about replacing it right away. I have been using 30-40 year old, NOS styli for a couple of my cartridges and they are great.

Congrats on your new system! I'm very excited for you. 
    Thanks @dudeman !  I'm going to set up it up this weekend, have to find the right place for it - my place is small and has too many people in it. But I'm psyched to have a system and be able to have all my old and new albums displayed somehow - there are some albums that are just scratched to shit but I could never part with them. Drunken college nights and albums did not go over well. 

I'll see how this stylus does on an old album and I'll go from there but it is very exciting to be back in the album/vinyl/record player game! 
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    You can also try an acrylic platter for some sound improvement.  I definitely noticed better performance of the blue vs the red once it broke in. 
    That's an upgrade I need to do yet.  I get way too much static generated with the metal platter & mat.
    I didn't have a ton of static originally, but now I have none.  I believe that made a difference.  I rarely use a mat now.  
    Yeah I've heard you don't need to use a mat with them, which is totally fine by me.  I only have felt mats which is probably causing most of my static problem.  I'm sure if I switched to cork or leather that would be an improvement on its own.  I've also seen these acrylic "mats":
    But I figure if I'm going to spend 20% or more of the cost of the platter on just a mat alone, may as well just wait a little longer and get the platter.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Yeah I've heard you don't need to use a mat with them, which is totally fine by me.  I only have felt mats which is probably causing most of my static problem.  I'm sure if I switched to cork or leather that would be an improvement on its own.  I've also seen these acrylic "mats":
    But I figure if I'm going to spend 20% or more of the cost of the platter on just a mat alone, may as well just wait a little longer and get the platter.

Especially if you plan to keep the TT. And if you decide to upgrade,  you could get half back on Ebay or here in a minute.  There are so many projects out there. 
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Especially if you plan to keep the TT. And if you decide to upgrade,  you could get half back on Ebay or here in a minute.  There are so many projects out there. 
    Good point!  It'll be an investment either way.  I'd like to do some LEDs with it when I get it just for a little added effect.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Yikes!
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I missed this link.  That's pretty cool and very cheap.  You might have to adjust the weight a tad,  but if you got the a full acrylic effect for 21 bucks,  that's great!  Did you end up getting anything?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    njnancy said:
    I finally have a record player!!

It is circa 1990 and in need of a new needle I'm sure (although it's never been used) and it comes with the whole tower of equipment and two big speakers. But it's mine. 

Not gonna throw any vinyl on it at the moment though. 

I should take a picture of my tower of power. :smiley:
    Congrats!  I'm hoping to have completed myself a couple new-old components in the coming months.  If your turntable is belt driven, I'd definitely recommend getting a new belt. I'm not sure what the protocol is for a stylus that's never been used, but I'd probably replace it just to be safe.  Get yourself a couple cheap (but clean) used records to test things out, rather than using something from your collection.
    FWIW, I once used a needle that was nearly new on a turntable that hadn't been used since the 70s, and the needle was still a-okay.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    The Clearaudio TT didn't work out for me and I was fortunate to be able to return it- only shipping was (rightfully) on me this time.   

So I still have the Project Carbon Debut.  I replaced the red stylus in my Ortofon cartridge and re-leveled my Project and it's working well now.  Guess I'm good with the Project after all.

In a couple places recently, I read that styli (hey, spell check is good with that word!) in the cartridge should be changed about every 1,000 hours of play.   Just curious if others have heard/read the same.  Experiences that way?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Around 1000 hours is what I've always known.  Ortofon themselves recommend that time frame.  Most importantly, be sure to clean both your records and stylus regularly and handle with the best care to get the most mileage.  If you're neglectful, it will certainly degrade a lot sooner.
    I carbon brush my records before & after each play and put them thru the Spin Clean about every dozen plays (Also, need to rinse the Spin Clean brushes thoroughly after each use and replace every so often).  And I brush the stylus every time I life the tonearm, even if it's just flipping a record over.  About once a week I'll drop the needle into a 1/4" sliver of Magic Eraser a couple times.  A Zero Dust-style cleaner would be even better.
    Around 1000 hours is what I've always known.  Ortofon themselves recommend that time frame.  Most importantly, be sure to clean both your records and stylus regularly and handle with the best care to get the most mileage.  If you're neglectful, it will certainly degrade a lot sooner.
    I carbon brush my records before & after each play and put them thru the Spin Clean about every dozen plays (Also, need to rinse the Spin Clean brushes thoroughly after each use and replace every so often).  And I brush the stylus every time I life the tonearm, even if it's just flipping a record over.  About once a week I'll drop the needle into a 1/4" sliver of Magic Eraser a couple times.  A Zero Dust-style cleaner would be even better.
    Love my zero dust.  The things that come off the stylus are pretty grody, even if it appears to be clean.  I put a flashlight on the stylus and am always surprised.  Zero works great. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,474
    brianlux said:
    The Clearaudio TT didn't work out for me and I was fortunate to be able to return it- only shipping was (rightfully) on me this time.   

So I still have the Project Carbon Debut.  I replaced the red stylus in my Ortofon cartridge and re-leveled my Project and it's working well now.  Guess I'm good with the Project after all.

In a couple places recently, I read that styli (hey, spell check is good with that word!) in the cartridge should be changed about every 1,000 hours of play.   Just curious if others have heard/read the same.  Experiences that way?

I've been told 650 hours, but that was said by a complete audiophile who worked in an audiophile-level stereo refurbishing shop, and he's super duper careful about everything, so 1000 hours is probably completely reasonable.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

I was hesitant to show off...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Wow, I admire you diligence to cleaning LPs and stylus!  I spin clean everything once but then after than am pretty lazy- they get the carbon brush before each play but that's about it.  For stylus cleaning I use Record Research Lab LP#9.  I should use that more often.  I don't even know if they make that particular cleaner any more. 

And thanks for the reminder to order new Spin Clean brushes. I rinse them very thoroughly and clean out the tray after each use but, figuring they may not be good for too long, I bought an after-market replacement pair, but they aren't as good of the original.  I need to order original brush replacements.  In fact, I'm going to do that very thing right now!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• I was hesitant to show off...
    Sweet,is that wood or leather on  the side panels?
  • Around 1000 hours is what I've always known.  Ortofon themselves recommend that time frame.  Most importantly, be sure to clean both your records and stylus regularly and handle with the best care to get the most mileage.  If you're neglectful, it will certainly degrade a lot sooner.
    This is a great cleaning regime, should be possible to see up to 1500 hrs from a good set-up.

• BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    ^^^^^^^^^^ WOW!!!!! :o
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853

That's a lot of equipment for such a little space.
    edited May 2019
    Nice rack
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • :) Thanks everyone,will update post when I get back from trip.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    Nice rack

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Just picked up this little guy. 

He packs quite a punch at 22 wpc. 

Don’t underestimate the old Fishers, Kenwoods, Sherwoods—a lot of them are pure gems. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Just picked up this little guy. 

He packs quite a punch at 22 wpc. 

Don’t underestimate the old Fishers, Kenwoods, Sherwoods—a lot of them are pure gems. 
    Fisher was upper end back in the 60's and 70's.  I think they went downhill when they were sold off in the early 80's, but until that point they were considered excellent.  Same with Kenwood.  I have never listened to a Sherwood though.  
    Congrats.  Looks like a nice little unit.  I do like how these vintage units had a separate headphone amp.  I have some hard to drive cans and the resistance levels are great on these. 

• Back again, In my previous employment we manufactured the casework for the Musical Fidelity separates above alongside Arcam, Naim, Creek Audio and Audio Innovations. This was my first foray into proper Hi-Fi and now i have the bug.
  • Latest project is a Linn LP12, started as a standard build but that kind of went out of the window,custom walnut plinth by Woodsong Audio, machined toplate and subchassis, Ekos tonearm and Dynavector moving coil
    Latest project is a Linn LP12, started as a standard build but that kind of went out of the window,custom walnut plinth by Woodsong Audio, machined toplate and subchassis, Ekos tonearm and Dynavector moving coil
    Are you buying a new Linn and that's your custom? Is that the Klimax or mid tier?
  • mrussel1 said:
    Latest project is a Linn LP12, started as a standard build but that kind of went out of the window,custom walnut plinth by Woodsong Audio, machined toplate and subchassis, Ekos tonearm and Dynavector moving coil
    Are you buying a new Linn and that's your custom? Is that the Klimax or mid tier?
    mrussel1 said:
    Custom as in sourced piece by piece,lots of parts available when people upgrade to the higher levels, am building entirely from 2nd hand mostly E-bay