Abortion-Keep Legal, Yes or No?

Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    jeffbr said:

Remember, pregnancy by rape is God's silver lining. "Sometimes bad things happen, horrible things, but sometimes God can give us a silver lining through the birth of a child."  Missouri Republican State Rep. Tila Hubrecht
    In case anyone wants to read the context of these quotes, here you go http://https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/personal-foul/

Yup. Some of the context is just as damning as the initial quote. Especially when they're trying to explain themselves. Here's some context given for the first one:

Mr. Williams said it was merely a joke and apologized “if anyone’s offended.”

“That’s not a Republican women’s club that we were having this morning,” he said. “It’s a working cow camp, a tough world where you can get kicked in the testicles if you’re not careful.” 

And Aiken's context was that it was off-the-cuff and that he "misspoke". And then 2 years later came up with a way to make it sound like he was actually intentionally shortening a law enforcement phrase.
    "In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it’s clear that I misspoke in this interview" and then 2 years later:
    “Legitimate rape is a law enforcement term, it’s an abbreviation for ‘legitimate case of rape," [it isn't]

For me, the context or "excuses" for what they said are just as bad as their "off the cuff" remarks which are clearly most reflective of their actual thoughts.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    jeffbr said:

Arkansas, Georgia, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota and now Alabama have all passed legislation restricting abortions this year. Missouri, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Wisconsin have pending laws.

Once Trump tipped the balance in the Supreme Court all of the bible thumping hillbillies came out of the wood work to test Roe v. Wade. I fear that we're going to see it overturned, and that each state will determine their own laws. I am glad to live in a state that allows freedom of choice and will not be among those listed. I feel horrible for women around the country who now find themselves in states where old white guys get to limit their reproductive rights based on morality derived from mythology. It is outrageous.

Those are all states that I will do my best to not visit or spend money. Even over the internet .
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    All the females should move out of the state...
    The irony of that is that there are plenty of women out there that are completely anti-abortion.  Not really a male vs female issue.
    It is 100% a male vs female issue, because it is almost all male politicians who are dictating what women do with their bodies, which makes me sick to my stomach. Of course there are women out there who are strictly anti-abortion. Thank goodness nobody is forcing them to have abortions! But my point is that if it weren't for men, there is no fucking way in hell abortion laws would be getting challenged. And FWIW, any woman who is for this kind of government control over women's bodies, no matter how they feel about abortion, IS a fucking fool in the extreme. At best.
    Maybe not 100% male vs female, but I digress.  It is currently in the hands of female governor Kay Ivey, so we’ll see what happens.  I really don’t know much about her and her view on the subject, and really don’t have the time to look into it.
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    The irony of that is that there are plenty of women out there that are completely anti-abortion.  Not really a male vs female issue.
    It is 100% a male vs female issue, because it is almost all male politicians who are dictating what women do with their bodies, which makes me sick to my stomach. Of course there are women out there who are strictly anti-abortion. Thank goodness nobody is forcing them to have abortions! But my point is that if it weren't for men, there is no fucking way in hell abortion laws would be getting challenged. And FWIW, any woman who is for this kind of government control over women's bodies, no matter how they feel about abortion, IS a fucking fool in the extreme. At best.
    Maybe not 100% male vs female, but I digress.  It is currently in the hands of female governor Kay Ivey, so we’ll see what happens.  I really don’t know much about her and her view on the subject, and really don’t have the time to look into it.
    She's very anti-choice, and is very likely to sign the bill.
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Of course she’s going to sign the bill.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    So 100% female vs female at this point in the state?  Interesting...
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    No, completely incorrect. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    The governor is not a female?
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    It was an all male Yea vote. There were only 3 women who could vote on the bill. That hillbilly state only has 15% women in the legislature, even though their population is 51% women, so women have some work to do in that state if they want representation (or should just get the hell out and come to a more sane state).
    This is what the Republican leadership group in the senate looks like, as presented on their caucus’s website:

These are the remaining 20 members of the Republican caucus who voted to ban abortion:

Very white. Very male.
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    It was an all male Yea vote. There were only 3 women who could vote on the bill. That hillbilly state only has 15% women in the legislature, even though their population is 51% women, so women have some work to do in that state if they want representation (or should just get the hell out and come to a more sane state).
    But the female governor holds the ball now, right?  Regardless of what the other males in the senate voted, SHE could still end it...so she, as a female, either supports it or feels the politics of it are more important.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    This never would have hit her desk if it weren't for men. The abortion debate would literally be dead in America if it weren't for men (or if men were the ones who got pregnant). That is the point I already made.
    And she is, btw, and fucking piece of shit, clearly.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    edited May 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    This never would have hit her desk if it weren't for men. The abortion debate would literally be dead in America if it weren't for men (or if men were the ones who got pregnant). That is the point I already made.
    Interesting logic, ha. I guess it could also be said that if there were no men, there would be no abortions.  I guess I’m just not looking at this from such a man hater perspective.
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    Maybe the US should think about being a tad more secular. It is 2019 after all.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited May 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Interesting logic, ha. I guess it could also be said that if there were no men, there would be no abortions.  I guess I’m just not looking at this from such a man hater perspective.
    Ha, well I'm not a man hater. And women clearly have had a role in electing such a male dominated legislature in hillbilly Alabama, so they bear some culpability. But I think the point is that without diversity in ethnicity and gender, there is lack of diversity of thought, ideas, bills, votes, etc... It is clear that Alabama has a "type" in their legislature that doesn't reflect the actual diversity in their population, and that can only mean that a subset of that population is truly represented - if you're a white male, they've got your back! Having a bunch of white guys who have never been and can never be pregnant (and many who couldn't explain the female anatomy or the process of gestation) voting on the reproductive rights of women just doesn't make sense.
    Edit - and I'm guessing a majority of those legislators inform their opinion with a non-scientific book of mythology, when this should be a science based, health care issue.
    Post edited by jeffbr on
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    You guys never learned tolerance of opposing viewpoints, huh? I’m pro choice but I’m smart enough to know if I go online and call someone a shithead for thinking differently than me that someone who’s unsure about their feelings on the issue will read my comment, dislike it, and probably take the opposite position.  Keep calling names and watch your elections fizzle out to those you spit such hate at.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    You guys never learned tolerance of opposing viewpoints, huh? I’m pro choice but I’m smart enough to know if I go online and call someone a shithead for thinking differently than me that someone who’s unsure about their feelings on the issue will read my comment, dislike it, and probably take the opposite position.  Keep calling names and watch your elections fizzle out to those you spit such hate at.
    I'm pretty sure those Alabama hillbillies have their opinions firmly inbred. No love or hate from me will alter their mythological beliefs.
    edited May 2019
    You guys never learned tolerance of opposing viewpoints, huh? 
    Depends on viewpoints and topic. 

There aren't always good people on both sides.

All opinions aren't equal.

Don't go Chris Cuomo on us.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    edited May 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    jeffbr said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I'm not even remotely close to being a man hater. But I am not surprised you defaulted to that, judging from your general attitude on the subject. Honestly, I think your defensiveness is causing you to literally not even grasp most the concepts involved when it comes to this topic.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    “Every life is a ‘sacred gift of god.’” Even those born of rape and incest.

Somebody ought to introduce a bill that demands child support from the father beginning at 6 weeks of gestation and to be financially responsible for half of all costs associated with giving birth, and jail them for failure to pay.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    edited May 2019
    Greatest country...

.. out of countries stuck in the 1800s.
    Absolutely revolting.
    And I wonder how many of the people who voted for the bill knocked up some woman and covered the abortion. There is no way that number is zero.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    I wonder how many of those "pro-lifers" are also pro death penalty 
    I wonder how many of those "pro-lifers" are also pro death penalty 
    I'm willing to bet that the vast majority of them are.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,410
    If there is a heartbeat, it isn’t just “your body” anymore. 
    that blob of cells have functioning lungs to oxygenate the blood that heart is pumping?

remember the book said god breathed life into adam......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    this issue is not simply "opposing viewpoints". they are deciding, quite literally in many many cases, on life or death of these women. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2019
    I have absolutely no problem whatsoever with people who are anti-abortion. We are all talking about having no tolerance for being anti-choice, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is a direct assault on the rights of women as sentient beings, and I think anyone who expects a woman to have tolerance for THAT is, well, I won't say it here, as I might get in trouble.