Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    edited June 2019
    we all know that anti abortion laws arent about the sanctity of life, theyre about control. in the end the decision to carry a pregnancy to term or to terminate it for whatever reason is the sole decision of the women. i imagine this must rankle some men like nothing else on earth. but thats just tough luck for them being born with a penis. as hard as men try and desire to control women, we are not incubators and cant be treated as incubational slaves. the risks to the lives of women are too great.     
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,391
    edited June 2019
    we all know that anti abortion laws arent about the sanctity of life, theyre about control. in the end the decision to carry a pregnancy to term or to terminate it for whatever reason is the sole decision of the women. i imagine this must rankle some men like nothing else on earth. but thats just tough luck for them being born with a penis. as hard as men try and desire to control women, we are not incubators and cant be treated as incubational slaves. the risks to the lives of women are too great.     

People just like to spin it that way to make any differing opinion sound evil and just about control. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827

People just like to spin it that way to make any differing opinion sound evil and just about control. 
    It is about control. No use pretending it isn’t. Your reasons for wanting that control may vary, but it’s absolutely about control. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

It is about control. No use pretending it isn’t. Your reasons for wanting that control may vary, but it’s absolutely about control.

FORCING women to carry pregnancies to term no matter the circumstances, sounds like control doesnt it?  TAKING agency away from pregnant women in regards to self determination, sounds like control doesnt it? 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,019

I think you can have a philosophical discussion about life, and what abortion means.

But the laws in the US regarding this is all about control and an evil holier than though attitude towards women.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    edited June 2019
    I’m curious how others would feel about this, but what about an exclusively female vote on a cut-off (after X weeks/months) to permit abortions to shut men up about their bullshit claims of abortions within weeks of a due date? 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495

Unfortunately it is about control though; not just of women, but of the lower & middle classes as well.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    benjs said:
    I’m curious how others would feel about this, but what about an exclusively female vote on a cut-off (after X weeks/months) to permit abortions to shut men up about their bullshit claims of abortions within weeks of a due date? 
    With the crux of the discussion being "what is life" and "is it a child in there or not", I would say on the most basic level the gender of those who decides/votes doesn't matter. Because it isn't about women or men, is it about "the child".

But I do know someone will now ask me to shut and say something to the effect of "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE WOMAN'S RIGHT TO HER OWN BODY!"

But whatever. 

Just allow safe abortions, and take "religion" out of anything that has to do with laws or rules regarding it. In the secular world, this seems to be a non-question.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    sorry to pop your bubble SC, but gender absolutely does matter when it comes to this. actually not gender, but sex cause trans men can actually carry a pregnancy.  just as a man's body is his own, so it is for woman. if a woman doesnt want to carry a pregnancy to term that is her decision and her decision only. and it should never be any other way. we dont need conditions applied to our reason cause to be frank, the ONLY reason a woman needs to terminate a pregnancy is that she doesnt want to carry a pregnancy to term.  and yes  we are in agreeance,  take religion out of civil matters and just allow safe abortion. 
    btw, miscarriages are also known as spontaneous abortions.  the difference being in a miscarriage a woman's body decides to reject the embryo/foetus/unborn at whatever stage of the pregnancy  it feels like for whatever reason. whereas an abortion allows the woman agency.  either way a decision has been made. 
    Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    benjs said:
    there is no cut off. the choice is the womans and hers alone. itd be hypocritical of me to suggest i can have an abortion within the parameters of society's idea of an acceptable time frame and deny another woman the same choice outside those supposed  acceptable parameters.  its simply not my business. 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    sorry to pop your bubble SC, but gender absolutely does matter when it comes to this. actually not gender, but sex cause trans men can actually carry a pregnancy.  just as a man's body is his own, so it is for woman. if a woman doesnt want to carry a pregnancy to term that is her decision and her decision only. and it should never be any other way. we dont need conditions applied to our reason cause to be frank, the ONLY reason a woman needs to terminate a pregnancy is that she doesnt want to carry a pregnancy to term.  and yes  we are in agreeance,  take religion out of civil matters and just allow safe abortion. 
    btw, miscarriages are also known as spontaneous abortions.  the difference being in a miscarriage a woman's body decides to reject the embryo/foetus/unborn at whatever stage of the pregnancy  it feels like for whatever reason. whereas an abortion allows the woman agency.  either way a decision has been made. 
    Cate, I just want to clarify my statement above. I would trust those with the ability to carry a pregnancy to make that judgment call about how late into a pregnancy is ‘too late’ to have an abortion. If that judgment call made is ‘never too late’ - I’m okay with that too. I believe this kind of ‘acceptable/not acceptable’ law (wherever the line, if any, is drawn) created by women for women would be the truest form of female empowerment on this topic and my hope would be that it would reclaim women’s rightful possession of their own bodies while telling men what conversations are never to be on the table again.

I think that the fundamental problem not being addressed is a woman’s right to make her own decisions on this topic, and unless there is law passed to insist on that fundamental right, I’m embarrassed to say I don’t see my gender relinquishing power willingly and I’m incredibly worried about that. Look how Roe v. Wade appears to be in jeopardy today - I want this resolved in favour of women’s rights once and for all with no shades of grey so there’s no room for disgusting political/religious/chauvinistic sleaze.

I’m inspired by the bill that Illinois passed, stating that a fetus does not have independent rights, and I think those kinds of line-drawing are critical to silence the feigned moral outrage on one of the most important ethical topics we’ve ever had as a civilization.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    Cate, I just want to clarify my statement above. I would trust those with the ability to carry a pregnancy to make that judgment call about how late into a pregnancy is ‘too late’ to have an abortion. If that judgment call made is ‘never too late’ - I’m okay with that too. I believe this kind of ‘acceptable/not acceptable’ law (wherever the line, if any, is drawn) created by women for women would be the truest form of female empowerment on this topic and my hope would be that it would reclaim women’s rightful possession of their own bodies while telling men what conversations are never to be on the table again.

I think that the fundamental problem not being addressed is a woman’s right to make her own decisions on this topic, and unless there is law passed to insist on that fundamental right, I’m embarrassed to say I don’t see my gender relinquishing power willingly and I’m incredibly worried about that. Look how Roe v. Wade appears to be in jeopardy today - I want this resolved in favour of women’s rights once and for all with no shades of grey so there’s no room for disgusting political/religious/chauvinistic sleaze.

I’m inspired by the bill that Illinois passed, stating that a fetus does not have independent rights, and I think those kinds of line-drawing are critical to silence the feigned moral outrage on one of the most important ethical topics we’ve ever had as a civilization.
    benjs said:

thats the thing benjs whether created by men or women any law about when a woman can terminate a pregnancy is taking agency out of her hands. its not 'softer' or more acceptable or even empowering if the law was drawn up by women. ANY law 'drawing the line' is control.  bottom line is im not the one pregnant, therefore its not my call and not my business. 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    benjs said:

thats the thing benjs whether created by men or women any law about when a woman can terminate a pregnancy is taking agency out of her hands. its not 'softer' or more acceptable or even empowering if the law was drawn up by women. ANY law 'drawing the line' is control.  bottom line is im not the one pregnant, therefore its not my call and not my business. 
    I fully agree, Cate, I just worry about the backsliding we’re seeing today and how it might occur again in the future. That’s the only reason I feel the way I do is because I worry that in the absence of a law, protections and rights granted seem like they will be temporary and exploited. Even if such a line in the sand were drawn though, I agree with you 100% fundamentally that it’s no one’s call except for the person carrying a pregnancy, laws be damned.

EV
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

I fully agree, Cate, I just worry about the backsliding we’re seeing today and how it might occur again in the future. That’s the only reason I feel the way I do is because I worry that in the absence of a law, protections and rights granted seem like they will be temporary and exploited. Even if such a line in the sand were drawn though, I agree with you 100% fundamentally that it’s no one’s call except for the person carrying a pregnancy, laws be damned.
     and lets be honest, nothing is going to stop women seeking abortions, so why not work with them to provide the best outcome for THEM. 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

and lets be honest, nothing is going to stop women seeking abortions, so why not work with them to provide the best outcome for THEM. 
    Really good point - I’m sold. 

EV
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

Stopping unwanted pregnancies would. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

good luck with that. ;) 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Strong speech by Kristen:

https://youtu.be/R5bzyyW6uJ0
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Strong speech by Kristen:

https://youtu.be/R5bzyyW6uJ0

she was dead on. kudos to her. 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

good luck with that. ;) 
    You don’t think that’s a realistic goal? Then wtf have birth control? Sex education? Etc? I thought even pro-choice people were aligned to these types of things. Guess not.

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    edited June 2019
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

good luck with that. ;) 
    You don’t think that’s a realistic goal? Then wtf have birth control? Sex education? Etc? I thought even pro-choice people were aligned to these types of things. Guess not.

Pro-choice people are aligned with birth control, teaching it and making it easily accessible, particularly to teens. See what Hickenlooper did in Colorado and the subsequent reduction in unwanted pregnancies and abortions, particularly among teens. Its the religious jihadis who believe life begins at conception or even before who are against it and as a result, teach abstinence only and deny funding for clinics that provide birth control and reproductive education (Planned Parenthood, already unable to use federal funds for abortion). That's why, "good luck with that."
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    benjs said:
    With the crux of the discussion being "what is life" and "is it a child in there or not", I would say on the most basic level the gender of those who decides/votes doesn't matter. Because it isn't about women or men, is it about "the child".

But I do know someone will now ask me to shut and say something to the effect of "IT'S ALL ABOUT THE WOMAN'S RIGHT TO HER OWN BODY!"

But whatever. 

Just allow safe abortions, and take "religion" out of anything that has to do with laws or rules regarding it. In the secular world, this seems to be a non-question.
    But... It IS all about the woman's right to her own body. You act as though that isn't a valid perspective .... I hazard to guess that if you were a woman you might take that perspective more seriously, not just say "whatever", or say it is about the "child", not the women. Wtf.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited June 2019
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

good luck with that. ;) 

Dude, come on. You guess not, eh? I'm sure you're aware that the birth control industry is massive? And I think you do indeed know that of course pro-choice people are aligned with those kinds of things, hence their support of Planned Parenthood and other women's healthcare facilities. It's actually the anti-choice people who rail against ALL of those things, and want to shut down Planned Parenthood. They are the ones who are typically against sex education in schools, and against offering free condoms to teens, and against subsidizing birth control. Surely you are aware of that. I really can't quite believe you made this comment.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

good luck with that. ;) 

..... eh..... What?
  • Options
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

good luck with that. ;) 

cincy i think its a good goal but ultimately an unrealistic goal.  birth control fails. sex education is great but like all education, it isnt necessary taken on board as a way to live ones life. humans arent infallable. we can have the knowledge, we can have the technology but our bodies like to give a little fuck you to us at times. thats why we need a solution so that women all over the world arent held in gestation jail.  of course the solution, if you can call it that, is abstention... an interesting thought but an unrealistic path. basically we are animals with an animals instinct to survive and procreate and so we need sex. 
    but aside all this there are motherfuckers out there who think they can just take what they want by raping  women and girls. it is imperative that the victims of crime not be punished further by having agency and autonomy over their own bodies taken from them also. oh and a serious fuck you to anyone who thinks its ok for a child who is raped to be made to carry a pregnancy to term... exactly what world do you live in. 
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    Funny how the states with the most restrictive abortion laws seem to also be the ones with the highest numbers of children in foster care system...

Right to Life... just no Right to HealthCare, Day Care, or Higher Education... USA #1

"The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    myoung321 said:
    Funny how the states with the most restrictive abortion laws seem to also be the ones with the highest numbers of children in foster care system...

Right to Life... just no Right to HealthCare, Day Care, or Higher Education... USA #1

and welfare or working poor.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

Margaret Atwood says it's "a form of slavery to force women to have children they can't afford"