The Golf Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    edited May 2019
    Max Homa is good at Twitter and good at golf 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited May 2019
    Yo Cliff and Ledbetterman—was up in lovely Binghamton again this weekend! I think it's an annual trip for us now.

Played Conklin and En-Joi. Had the round of my life on Saturday at Conklin. Shot an 83 (previous best was an 86 but that was on a pretty basic/easy-ish course near my house). Very easily could’ve gotten into the 70’s had it not been for a trio of rough holes near the end.

But I was in this unconscious zone for pretty much every hole up until 15. I three putted on 3. Then from 4 thru 14 I played 1 over golf. It was unbelievable and I'v never come close to experiencing anything like that. Nothing went wrong. And even when things kind of went wrong, I was able to fix them with the next shot with relative ease. Like on the 5th hole (I think it was 5), my tee shot was off the left fairway and I had about 170 in but didn't have a clear shot because of these trees a little in front of me. Two holes earlier I watched a buddy hit this beautiful draw on 2 right in the middle of the green and I said to him "I'd love to get to the point where I could do that kind of shit on purpose." Well here I was with either a perfect draw opportunity or punching out into the fairway with my 5 iron and getting up on my third shot. I attempted the draw and it was a BEAUT, CLARKE! Landed in the perfect spot on this hill to the right of the green and got the best kick imaginable leaving me with an easy two putt for a par. I was in shock.

Few years ago when I started playing my goal was to just get to around 100 and finish a round without embarrassing myself. Never imagined being anywhere close to below 80. But now it's within my sights. Fucking pumped!

-Also, as an aside. We were at the En-Joi clubhouse after our round on Friday having some pops and were asking the bartender for a good spot to go for dinner. Her response consisted of an Applebees, a Texas Road House, I think there was a Long Horn Steak House in there.....and she topped it off by excitedly saying "oh and there's a TGI Fridays! That place is good!" As soon as she turned and walked away, we all quickly agreed to grilling steaks back at the house and beer ponging it up. Couple of great, cheap courses up there and beautiful scenery......but, yeah, that's about it!

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yo Cliff and Ledbetterman—was up in lovely Binghamton again this weekend! I think it's an annual trip for us now.

Played Conklin and En-Joi. Had the round of my life on Saturday at Conklin. Shot an 83 (previous best was an 86 but that was on a pretty basic/easy-ish course near my house). Very easily could’ve gotten into the 70’s had it not been for a trio of rough holes near the end.

But I was in this unconscious zone for pretty much every hole up until 15. I three putted on 3. Then from 4 thru 14 I played 1 over golf. It was unbelievable and I'v never come close to experiencing anything like that. Nothing went wrong. And even when things kind of went wrong, I was able to fix them with the next shot with relative ease. Like on the 5th hole (I think it was 5), my tee shot was off the left fairway and I had about 170 in but didn't have a clear shot because of these trees a little in front of me. Two holes earlier I watched a buddy hit this beautiful draw on 2 right in the middle of the green and I said to him "I'd love to get to the point where I could do that kind of shit on purpose." Well here I was with either a perfect draw opportunity or punching out into the fairway with my 5 iron and getting up on my third shot. I attempted the draw and it was a BEAUT, CLARKE! Landed in the perfect spot on this hill to the right of the green and got the best kick imaginable leaving me with an easy two putt for a par. I was in shock.

Few years ago when I started playing my goal was to just get to around 100 and finish a round without embarrassing myself. Never imagined being anywhere close to below 80. But now it's within my sights. Fucking pumped!

-Also, as an aside. We were at the En-Joi clubhouse after our round on Friday having some pops and were asking the bartender for a good spot to go for dinner. Her response consisted of an Applebees, a Texas Road House, I think there was a Long Horn Steak House in there.....and she topped it off by excitedly saying "oh and there's a TGI Fridays! That place is good!" As soon as she turned and walked away, we all quickly agreed to grilling steaks back at the house and beer ponging it up. Couple of great, cheap courses up there and beautiful scenery......but, yeah, that's about it!

That is awesome and impressive. Not many people make that kind of progress. Shot sounds impressive. I couldn’t move the ball right to left if my life depended on it. Even when I was halfway decent, never had that shot in the bag. I can’t even feel or envision the swing. 

En Joi is the course they played the BC Open at, now a champions tour event which is actually better because it got to be an opposite field event to the British so noooo one was there. Lots of memories at that course. Tiger right before the masters, got drilled in the neck with a peter Jacobson drive, lots of Fred funk and couples memories (family knew both a bit). Have played it a good number of times too obviously.  I like the course.

That person is an idiot and clearly lives in endicott. By no means am I saying it’s exactly the most happening place, but I could show anyone a decent time. Good place to grow up, not a great place to stay. Also, spiedies. Get spiedies next year 
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited May 2019
    Three things:

1) Rory - continuing to fail on Sundays after showing some progress.

2)  Koepka’s clown Twitter post - the honesty was refreshing for a while but he looks like a clown for posting that.  Get over yourself.  

3) The Juggler - I hate you for being close to breaking 80 after only a few years.  Kidding - I only despise you.  Good luck on your quest!
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

That is awesome and impressive. Not many people make that kind of progress. Shot sounds impressive. I couldn’t move the ball right to left if my life depended on it. Even when I was halfway decent, never had that shot in the bag. I can’t even feel or envision the swing. 

En Joi is the course they played the BC Open at, now a champions tour event which is actually better because it got to be an opposite field event to the British so noooo one was there. Lots of memories at that course. Tiger right before the masters, got drilled in the neck with a peter Jacobson drive, lots of Fred funk and couples memories (family knew both a bit). Have played it a good number of times too obviously.  I like the course.

That person is an idiot and clearly lives in endicott. By no means am I saying it’s exactly the most happening place, but I could show anyone a decent time. Good place to grow up, not a great place to stay. Also, spiedies. Get spiedies next year 
    Yeah Jesus Christ, you could throw a rock and hit at least three different Italian joints from there. She suggested 4 different chain restaurants? What in the actual fuck. Shit, Phils Chicken House was better than any of those. Not saying much but, Jesus...

Tony's pizza, Joeys or Consols on the north side. Fuck, even Roma's or Nirchi's sheet pizza. Is Nirchi's on the avenue still there? Plus all the decent places in Binghamton. For fucks sake, google is your friend juggler. I went to that elementary school across the street from enjoi
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712

Nice. The Links at Hiawatha is another nice course in that area worth checking out.  
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

Yeah Jesus Christ, you could throw a rock and hit at least three different Italian joints from there. She suggested 4 different chain restaurants? What in the actual fuck. Shit, Phils Chicken House was better than any of those. Not saying much but, Jesus...

Tony's pizza, Joeys or Consols on the north side. Fuck, even Roma's or Nirchi's sheet pizza. Is Nirchi's on the avenue still there? Plus all the decent places in Binghamton. For fucks sake, google is your friend juggler. I went to that elementary school across the street from enjoi
    We really could've put a lot more effort into it than we did. Most of us just wanted to head back to the house and get hammered at the point anyway though.

And I don't doubt that there are some hidden gems out there... but for what it's worth, I feel like every restaurant we passed was a chain. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe I have no idea what's going on right now! Posts: 4,957

We really could've put a lot more effort into it than we did. Most of us just wanted to head back to the house and get hammered at the point anyway though.

And I don't doubt that there are some hidden gems out there... but for what it's worth, I feel like every restaurant we passed was a chain. 
    Yeah there's a bunch of those too, but I agree with Cliffy about the bartender being an idiot

For what's it worth, do you not live miles away from one of the biggest and most commercial malls in the country?
    edited May 2019

haha, when I insulted people from Endicott, I forgot there were people here! The rivalry continues.  The main roads in Vestal especially (which we both dislike more than each other), which Juggler likely drove through, are big box stores. 

My high school girlfriend's family loooved Consols. It's been a long time.  Been a long time for all of these, except Nirchi's.  Every time I am there or pass through, I bring a pizza home.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on

haha, when I insulted people from Endicott, I forgot there were people here! The rivalry continues.  The main roads in Vestal especially (which we both dislike more than each other), which you likely drove through, are big box stores. 

My high school girlfriend's family loooved Consols. It's been a long time.  Been a long time for all of these, except Nirchi's.  Every time I am there or pass through, I bring a pizza home.
    I didn't even catch that. Hahaha, asshole

haha, when I insulted people from Endicott, I forgot there were people here! The rivalry continues.  The main roads in Vestal especially (which we both dislike more than each other), which you likely drove through, are big box stores. 

I didn't even catch that. Hahaha, asshole
    haha. Cheers!

For what's it worth, do you not live miles away from one of the biggest and most commercial malls in the country?
    You trying to compare the Philly suburbs to the Binghamton area?
    chinese-happy.jpg
    For thread integrity, I got out for 18 for the first time in a couple years. Was never great, but shot awful. Took me 5 holes to actually make a good swing. Once I relaxed a bit it came together. Made 4 pars, missed two birdie putts, and threw up a couple of eights. Shot 101, yikes

Somewhat, yeah.

Somewhat, yeah.
    Good luck with that
    haha
    chinese-happy.jpg

Somewhat, yeah.
    Good luck with that
    haha
    Binghamton area has better pizza than Philadelphia.  This is a fact.

Syracuse is about as accessible to Binghamton as Collegeville/KOP are to some places in Philly, dependent on traffic

Somewhat, yeah.
    Good luck with that
    haha

Syracuse is about as accessible to Binghamton as Collegeville/KOP are to some places in Philly, dependent on traffic
    Whatever you say, Cliff. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited May 2019

Somewhat, yeah.
    Good luck with that
    haha

Whatever you say, Cliff. 
    The most attractive thing about the Philadelphia Suburbs is...Philadelphia and the economy that goes with it. Better jobs, nicer houses, nicer shopping, nicer cars. Which I am not debating.  That said, within a 10 or so minute drive from my house in Binghamton, I'd bet that Binghamton could compete with a 10 minute drive for you for food, depending on cuisine. Phila Suburbs definitely have a much higher ceiling, but every day food, it could go toe to toe.

Italian is definitely better in Endicott (and to a lesser extent Binghamton) than it is out there by you.

The wife always thought I was crazy for saying Binghamton had better pizza, then she had Binghamton pizza.

I'll be somewhere in the suburbs eventually, Because of schools. And I am likely staying in this area until I retire. So clearly I like this area more, but I don't think it's crazy to say the food in the suburbs here isn't anything to be proud of. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs
    For thread integrity, I got out for 18 for the first time in a couple years. Was never great, but shot awful. Took me 5 holes to actually make a good swing. Once I relaxed a bit it came together. Made 4 pars, missed two birdie putts, and threw up a couple of eights. Shot 101, yikes
    I won't be much better than that when I get out this year.  Supposed to play Friday, but no go. Work has been crazy.

Somewhat, yeah.
    Good luck with that
    haha

Whatever you say, Cliff. 
    The most attractive thing about the Philadelphia Suburbs is...Philadelphia and the economy that goes with it. Nicer houses, nicer shopping, nicer cars. Which I am not debating.  That said, within a 10 or so minute drive from my house in Binghamton, I'd bet that Binghamton could compete with a 10 minute drive for you for food, depending on cuisine. Phila Suburbs definitely have a much higher ceiling, but every day food, it could go toe to toe.

Italian is definitely better in Endicott (and to a lesser extent Binghamton) than it is out there by you.

The wife always thought I was crazy for saying Binghamton had better pizza, then she had Binghamton pizza.

I'll be somewhere in the suburbs eventually, Because of schools. And I am likely staying in this area until I retire. So clearly I like this area more, but I don't think it's crazy to say the food in the suburbs here isn't anything to be proud of. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs
    It’s the suburbs of Philadelphia...so, yeah, naturally that’s the best thing about it. That’s the point. What the hell is Binghamton a subrburb of? Fucking Syracuse? Ha

I’m not intentionally trying to knock where you’re from. I’m just saying I dated a girl from Carbondale when I was in college. Not sure if you know of that place or not but it’s a little north of Scranton. Carbondale is a god damned cesspool. She couldn’t wait to get out of there. Driving around up there, especially near where En-Joi is really reminded me too much of Carbondale for my liking. 

We did order food one night. No idea of the name but the pizza, wings, and cheese steaks were all much better than we anticipated. So there’s that!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    edited May 2019
    Well yeah, it's not a suburb of anything. But my point is that yes, the suburbs of Philadelphia are nicer, but Philadelphia isn't terribly accessible to many of the suburbs.  When I got to our KOP office, it can take me upwards of 90 minutes each way. That is less time than it would take me to drive from my house to Syracuse (which obviously not Philadelphia), but Dino BBQ rivals anything here.  

I am also not defending Binghamton as a place. Just food which started this convo.  I thought it was a great place to grow up, but I too couldn't wait to get out and I can't imagine being some of my high school friends who still live there.  That said, the wings at nips rival anything here, including Moriarity's, pizza is better, south philly italian is obviously better here, but there is some good italian up there. High end, suburbs got it by a mile.

It doesn't have the economy and it is outdated with a lot of problems.   Everything of note outside of BU moved out a long time ago and took the money with it, but a lot of diverse backgrounds because of IBM, Lockheed and Endicott Johnson have resulted in some pretty solid food.  Also, spiedies.  Everyone loves them.

I rarely go back, my family is gone, so unless it's a wedding, there is nothing there for me anymore, so I have no skin in the game anymore. My argument was that a 10 minute drive from my house the food available would rival yours, which is what started the convo
    edited May 2019
    And apparently the golf is decent enough for you, back to the topic at hand.
    90 minutes would mean a hell of a lot of traffic. KOP to Philly, leaving at the right time, is about 25-30 minutes. Its like 15 miles or so.  And if there’s too much traffic just hop on the train in Conshy.

I have never heard anyone say Philly is not accessible to the suburbs before. Actually, they’re trying to make KOP more accessible with a rail line that would stop right near the mall area. That will take forever to come to fruition but this option is available in most other suburban areas. I’ve even ridden my bike from Collegeville to the Art Museum a few times when I used to live out that way. So even by bike it’s accessible!

But yeah the golf up in Binghamton, for the price, is fucking awesome. Conklin is now one of my favorite courses. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    90 minutes would mean a hell of a lot of traffic. KOP to Philly, leaving at the right time, is about 25-30 minutes. Its like 15 miles or so.  And if there’s too much traffic just hop on the train in Conshy.

I have never heard anyone say Philly is not accessible to the suburbs before. Actually, they’re trying to make KOP more accessible with a rail line that would stop right near the mall area. That will take forever to come to fruition but this option is available in most other suburban areas. I’ve even ridden my bike from Collegeville to the Art Museum a few times when I used to live out that way. So even by bike it’s accessible!

But yeah the golf up in Binghamton, for the price, is fucking awesome. Conklin is now one of my favorite courses. 
    Those 76 suburbs suck donkey balls to get to. You never heard that driving on 76 is hell?!  Lol. Granted I live about as far away in Philly proper as possible, I have to across the city, but it is usually an hour 10 or so for me, if I leave either a minute after 7:30 or 4:30. I have ridden my bike out that way too. Haven’t don’t the train.

Go to ely park next year. Lol. That’s my muni. 
    You watch escape at dannemora? The one dude killed the cop near the Conklin course 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    birds of a feather...,
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692

Flock together....
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory

Those 76 suburbs suck donkey balls to get to. You never heard that driving on 76 is hell?!  Lol. Granted I live about as far away in Philly proper as possible, I have to across the city, but it is usually an hour 10 or so for me, if I leave either a minute after 7:30 or 4:30. I have ridden my bike out that way too. Haven’t don’t the train.

Go to ely park next year. Lol. That’s my muni. 
    Dude. Don’t take 76, especially anywhere near rush hour. Everyone knows that. Haha
    chinese-happy.jpg