Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    I watch the Masters final round broadcasts on YouTube. I watched so many of them last season. I think I'll go boot one up now. 
  • Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,931
    I worked the 2013 Masters Tournament and have an open invitation to come back and work it again if I want. Maybe I'll share my experience on here if y'all are interested. Only reason I haven't returned to work the tournament is because it's about a 10 day commitment. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    JojoRice said:
    I worked the 2013 Masters Tournament and have an open invitation to come back and work it again if I want. Maybe I'll share my experience on here if y'all are interested. Only reason I haven't returned to work the tournament is because it's about a 10 day commitment. 
    Do tell! 
  • Options
    Yeah let's hear it!
  • Options
    I've got my first tournament of the season this weekend. It's a 2 day event and of course it's 100% rain Saturday and 60% Sunday. At least the temp will be low 70s. So just annoying rain but not rain AND cold. First tournament of last season was 35 and 41 degrees lol.

Then Monday I'm flying down to Jacksonville FL to finalize my job offer, look at a few places to live, etc. Looking forward to 12 months of golf :grin:
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Augusta!!
  • Options
    Played one hole today before hearing the air horn blow to signal lightning and a thunderstorm in the area. Waited and waited but never got to go back out. Weather doesn't look any better for tomorrow so they've cancelled the whole tournament. Great season opener...
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,288
    bflynn1 said:
    Played one hole today before hearing the air horn blow to signal lightning and a thunderstorm in the area. Waited and waited but never got to go back out. Weather doesn't look any better for tomorrow so they've cancelled the whole tournament. Great season opener...
    What part of the country are you in? Finally golf weather here in the Philadelphia area. Played pretty well yesterday. Cant wait to play again
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,288
    edited April 2019
    Looking for ideas...

Have a mini golf trip coming up next month. Last year there were four of us and we played match play both days. This year it's 3 days/3 rounds and the amount of people has ballooned to nine (in my opinion way too many-but whatever). We're trying to figure out how to conduct a little tournament for those three rounds. The ninth person apparently is a terrible golfer so he might not be on a team and just be sort of a wild card somehow. 

Anyway, can you guys think of a way we can score this, with four teams and one random wild card, to eventually end up with one champion? 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Looking for ideas...

Have a mini golf trip coming up next month. Last year there were four of us and we played match play both days. This year it's 3 days/3 rounds and the amount of people has ballooned to nine (in my opinion way too many-but whatever). We're trying to figure out how to conduct a little tournament for those three rounds. The ninth person apparently is a terrible golfer so he might not be on a team and just be sort of a wild card somehow. 

Anyway, can you guys think of a way we can score this, with four teams and one random wild card, to eventually end up with one champion? 
    Dots or stableford. Both straight forward and easy to score.

try a round of wolf too maybe
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Looking for ideas...

The 9th player kinda messes things up. Unless you go with 3 teams of three.
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:
    What part of the country are you in? Finally golf weather here in the Philadelphia area. Played pretty well yesterday. Cant wait to play again
    Right now I live in Fayetteville, AR. But in the next few weeks I'm relocating to Jacksonville, FL.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,540
    I would be frustrated by any golf trip where there was only one round per day.  If it is before 5:00pm and I'm at a bar instead of golf course I would be livid. 
  • Options
    I've got a 3 day golf trip coming up in June in the Pinehurst area of North Carolina.  Apparently there's 56 people going in our group!  Very interested to see how it shakes out and which format we use. 

• Options
    Since it's now officially Masters week, here's some of my experiences from working at the tournament in 2013.  I do plan on working it again sometime whenever my schedule allows it....Here goes...

My 2013 Masters work experience started about about 8 months prior to the tournament when I applied online after getting shut out of the ticket lottery once again.  When you apply, you get to choose the top 3 jobs/positions that interest you the most.  Then a few months later in Decemeber/January, I did a phone interview that lasted about 10 minutes.  Basically discussing previous work and golf experience (golf experience isn't required to work there, they were just curious).   Then about 3 weeks before the tournament begins, I was emailed my job position.  I was placed in the "Course Supply/Drivers" department.  Long story short, my job was to basically take merchandise from the main golf shop and deliver it to the many satellite shops around the course and help them keep their inventory stocked up. Ended up being a great gig because I got to ride around the course all day doing deliveries and watching golf!

The work week for me started the Saturday before practice rounds began.  I had about a 3 hour orientation where they showed employees their work area, how to check in, the do's and don'ts of Augusta, and how to get to different areas of the course.  Once Monday (1st day of practice rounds) started is when everything really got crazy.  Our work hours were from 6:00am until about 10:00pm for all 7 days.  

My first delivery that monday morning was to the satellite merch stand near #12 tee at Amen corner.  As soon as I got out of my cart, I walked straight to the tee box instead of making my delivery to the merch booth because I just had to see it.  Standing behind the 12th tee for the first time was surreal.  Almost as if it didn't look real because it was too perfect.  From that moment on, I knew that it was going to be a great week.  

Over the course of the week, I got to see a lot of neat stuff.  Even got to see the course nursery where they grow all of the azaleas and other plants.  It makes Pike's Nursery look like a joke!  The main warehouse where they keep all of the Masters merchandise is huge!  It's about the size of a Super Walmart.  I'd never seen anything like it.  Also, I was told that they sell a hat every 2 seconds!  Between the main golf shop and all of the satellite shops around the course, Augusta is definitely a merch king.  Getting merch at Augusta is even more crazy than getting merch a PJ shows.  By the end of the day on Sunday, the warehouse and all of the merch shops and stands were completely empty.  We had several items sell completely out even before the weekend started.  Heck we even had one customer come in and buy almost 700 Masters folding chairs!  

Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely recommend it to anyone that's a golf fan.  I was completely exhausted once the week was over but it was worth it.  Hope yall enjoyed my little insight and sorry that it was a bit of a long read.  Also for the record, I'm currently 0 for 10 in the Masters ticket lottery. 

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    ^ awesome story bud! I hope to make it there some day! Thanks for sharing. 
  • Options
    Yeah, that's sweet.  Good stuff.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    @JojoRice
    Great story. That warehouse sounds insane. I don't think I've ever heard of it before. How far away from the clubhouse is it?

• Options
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    eddiec said:
    @JojoRice
    Great story. That warehouse sounds insane. I don't think I've ever heard of it before. How far away from the clubhouse is it?

It's across the street from the members entry gate on Washington road.  There's a couple small buildings in front of it.  There's also no signage.  It's just big warehouse that you wouldn't look at twice. 

• Options
    Tiger is the highest ranked Master's champion in the field.  That is bananas.
  • Options
    As far as first time Masters winners.....I like Rory and Rickie this year.  This year's field has a great group of players that have been playing some great golf as of late.  Just hope Reed doesn't repeat.

• Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Looking for ideas...

3 teams of 3 ....try and match up as best you can ... every body plays their own ball each round like normal

round 1 game - best ball:  you take the best score per hole from each team to get your team score for the round
    round 2 game - assigned holes:  as a team you designate 6 holes per golfer that their score will contribute to the team score
    round 3 game - middle score:  you take the high and low scores out per hole and take the middle for the team

winning team has lowest score after 3 rounds
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,767
    JojoRice said:
    As far as first time Masters winners.....I like Rory and Rickie this year.  This year's field has a great group of players that have been playing some great golf as of late.  Just hope Reed doesn't repeat.
    Said everybody not named Patrick Reed.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,474
    Looking for ideas...

Have a mini golf trip coming up next month. 

haha! juggler is playing putt putt.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:
    Looking for ideas...

Have a mini golf trip coming up next month. 

haha! juggler is playing putt putt.
    I read this the same way the first time 
  • Options
    Watching the par 3...date I say Augusta is too green at this point?
  • Options
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,746
    It’s the most wonderful time of the year 
    Here we go!  Sunday is going to be awesome....final round of Masters right into Game of Thrones.  Already told my wife not to expect much from me in the parenting department after 1pm on Sunday.