Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    Got invited to play Galloway National down near AC next Friday. Course is gonna chew me up, and think I’m playing with some players, but should be a good time. Pumped. 

That looks phenomenal.  It looks like a relaxing setting amongst the farm fields.   I did like the website using Tom Fazio’s quote that it is one of his best ever.   It very well may be, but it makes me laugh as architects always say something like that.  The site is one of the best I have ever seen,  yada yada yada.
    Completely. As part of the contract, you will do the design, routing and give us a ridiculous quote. 
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,213
    RIP Grayson Murray 😞
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,631
    edited May 25
    Terrible. Saw a tweet that someone saw Peter Malnati asking PGA officials to check on him after the 18th hole yesterday.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,782
    The parents have confirmed it was a suicide. How terrible..
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited June 1
    Got invited to play Galloway National down near AC next Friday. Course is gonna chew me up, and think I’m playing with some players, but should be a good time. Pumped. 

That looks phenomenal.  It looks like a relaxing setting amongst the farm fields.   I did like the website using Tom Fazio’s quote that it is one of his best ever.   It very well may be, but it makes me laugh as architects always say something like that.  The site is one of the best I have ever seen,  yada yada yada.
    Well I’ll start by saying the course is absolutely incredible, but that was one of the more horrifying rounds of golf I’ve ever played. Fastest and tricky greens, 6600+ yards, a true golf club…you have to be sub 10 to get in, only golf, no beverage cart. Most people’s 2nd club. A club for true sickos. Then add to all of that, I went to the rangers game last night, got home from ny at 2am, had to be in the office for a quick meeting by 9, then down to the course. Oh, and the guys I played with are all close to scratch (one has won the member guest at renowned US Open venue). Walked with caddies. At the range I straight up had the yips and couldn’t elevate the ball.

Add that all up and you can guess how I played. Incredibly embarrassing but what can you do. 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    What a great story.  Winner with his dad on the bag.  
  • Options

Well I’ll start by saying the course is absolutely incredible, but that was one of the more horrifying rounds of golf I’ve ever played. Fastest and tricky greens, 6600+ yards, a true golf club…you have to be sub 10 to get in, only golf, no beverage cart. Most people’s 2nd club. A club for true sickos. Then add to all of that, I went to the rangers game last night, got home from ny at 2am, had to be in the office for a quick meeting by 9, then down to the course. Oh, and the guys I played with are all close to scratch (one has won the member guest at renowned US Open venue). Walked with caddies. At the range I straight up had the yips and couldn’t elevate the ball.

Add that all up and you can guess how I played. Incredibly embarrassing but what can you do. 
    Crooked Stick in Indy is like that.  Maybe not as hardcore about membership, but it is golf only too.

It is fun watching scratch players play, but jealousy comes in once in a while.  You either have to have played a lot as a kid or have the time to play a lot now.  

I feel you though.  I played Ballybunion last year and was the first round in 3 weeks and first of the trip with a rental set and no warmup.  I hit the roof of one of the trailers in a trailer park across the road.  There was no business that a ball would even reach the road, let alone a roof on the other side of the road.   With three complete strangers.  
  • Options
    What a great story.  Winner with his dad on the bag.  
    That interview was awesome. The euros on tour are the likable bunch now? Shame rahm sold out 
  • Options

Crooked Stick in Indy is like that.  Maybe not as hardcore about membership, but it is golf only too.

It is fun watching scratch players play, but jealousy comes in once in a while.  You either have to have played a lot as a kid or have the time to play a lot now.  

I feel you though.  I played Ballybunion last year and was the first round in 3 weeks and first of the trip with a rental set and no warmup.  I hit the roof of one of the trailers in a trailer park across the road.  There was no business that a ball would even reach the road, let alone a roof on the other side of the road.   With three complete strangers.  
    Oh and only 150 members. True golf club. Mildly over friday but horrified every time I think about it.

Love these war stories. I played a scramble in Palm Springs at the JW with 3 complete strangers. Started on a hole with a busy road to the left and was the first one off the tee and duck hooked it into a bunch of very nice cars driving…luckily didn’t hit one 

golf…
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,450
    So I went from basically forgetting how to swing a club in April to winning my tourney over this weekend. Totally revamped my grip and swing path over the last 6 weeks (grip was way too strong and was way too vertical on backswing--that and other things lead to massive slices). 7am driving range sessions multiple days a week, a lesson, and some Hank Haney videos did the trick. 

A few weeks ago I was getting to the point where I was embarrassed to play with other people....now I cannot wait to get back out there and become a two time tour winner this year. lol

golf.....that is right Cliffy! Funny game

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,774
    So I went from basically forgetting how to swing a club in April to winning my tourney over this weekend. Totally revamped my grip and swing path over the last 6 weeks (grip was way too strong and was way too vertical on backswing--that and other things lead to massive slices). 7am driving range sessions multiple days a week, a lesson, and some Hank Haney videos did the trick. 

A few weeks ago I was getting to the point where I was embarrassed to play with other people....now I cannot wait to get back out there and become a two time tour winner this year. lol

golf.....that is right Cliffy! Funny game

Played in a simulator league over the winter and the first few weeks I felt like I could barely hit the ball.  Had a lesson, lot of practice and got my shit together.  Shot some great scores towards the end of the league....pretty sure people thought I was a sandbagger since the league used handicaps.  

First couple real rounds this season were just OK.  Now my last 3 rounds have been 3 of the 4 best scores of my life.  Golf!  Very funny game...
  • Options
    Nice man.

Yeah I preempted that sandbagging talk because I knew some people would bring it up. 

My handicap has gone to shit over the last year or so. Definitely helped me on Saturday though. haha
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Followed up my first tour victory with an 86 at a familiar course early this morning. Beautiful day in the Delaware Valley.

Your Juggler's back baby!
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,780
    edited June 7
    Followed up my first tour victory with an 86 at a familiar course early this morning. Beautiful day in the Delaware Valley.

I know some of your Valley courses.  I'm a big fan of Bulle Rock in Maryland.  I've played Deerfield in Newark about 100x.  It's the old MBNA course.  I'm playing Odessa National in two weeks.  That's down in Middletown, DE.  I've not played it before but it's a charity event.  

Next week I'm playing TPC Sugarloaf in Georgia.  I heard that's quite nice.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

I know some of your Valley courses.  I'm a big fan of Bulle Rock in Maryland.  I've played Deerfield in Newark about 100x.  It's the old MBNA course.  I'm playing Odessa National in two weeks.  That's down in Middletown, DE.  I've not played it before but it's a charity event.  

Next week I'm playing TPC Sugarloaf in Georgia.  I heard that's quite nice.  
    NIce.

Yeah Deerfield and Bulle Rock are on my league's schedule. I played Deerfield a couple years ago. Nice course. I remember a lot of hills and trees.

Bulle Rock is one I have wanted to play but haven't been able to make it yet. That's a hike for me though. About an hour and a half drive. Wanna get down there at some point because I have heard nothing but good things. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 10
    Scottie is going to have a hall of fame resume in one year.  Tiger is better, but Scottie is doing it against better competition (I think).  I say I think because has money drained the competitive spirit from most  the top guys?
  • Options
    Can’t wait.  Friday have a round at County Sligo.  The start of my golfing pilgrimage to Pearl Jam in Dublin.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,537
    Can’t wait.  Friday have a round at County Sligo.  The start of my golfing pilgrimage to Pearl Jam in Dublin.
    Way to go
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,637

Oh and only 150 members. True golf club. Mildly over friday but horrified every time I think about it.

Love these war stories. I played a scramble in Palm Springs at the JW with 3 complete strangers. Started on a hole with a busy road to the left and was the first one off the tee and duck hooked it into a bunch of very nice cars driving…luckily didn’t hit one 

golf…
    “horrified” :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

golf…
    “horrified” :lol:
    You just triggered PTSD
  • Options
    I'm at the TPC Sugarloaf for an event today.  Looks like a beautiful course!  I couldn't bring my clubs so I have to use rentals.  That's a little disappointing.  When you play a great course,  you want your sticks. 
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,620
    I played Chambers Bay the day between Seattle shows. Poured rain the first hour, and then the sun came out and the course soaked all of it up. By the 12th it was bone dry, pretty impressive. The course was awesome, worth the green fee once, and maybe a second or third time. Not as hard of a walk as what I was reading online. Layout was great. Shot 88 with a triple on the #1hcp, and I’m an 11.2 HCP with 3 years of experience.
    For reference I played Bethpage Black for my second time a few weeks ago. First time I shot a 99 last year, this time I laid up on almost every par 4 and shot 89.
    Was able to finally play my home course twice this past week with an 83 and 81. Was happy to get away from the tough courses 😆 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    You are pretty good for playing three years. I have played for 17 and fluctuate between 11 and 15.  

Chambers Bay was great.  Hot as blazes the day I played it.  In the 90’s. There is no shade out there at all.  
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,537
    Just shot my second ever sub 80 . The last was 12 years ago. 
    I feel I'm turning a corner 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    HailHailVitalogyHailHailVitalogy Posts: 4,620
    You are pretty good for playing three years. I have played for 17 and fluctuate between 11 and 15.  

Chambers Bay was great.  Hot as blazes the day I played it.  In the 90’s. There is no shade out there at all.  
    Thanks! I have been playing about 2-3 rounds a week for 3 years so there’s been a lot of swings.

Nice! Shot 79 for my first time two months ago, I partied hard that night 😂 
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2
  • Options
    Congrats!  That is such a fun feeling.
  • Options
    this should be good…. 🤞

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I hope so. You hear every Monday the greens are on the edge and then they shoot 15 under. 

Are there any bets on when Rory will file for divorce again?    What a weird life the guy has.  
  • Options

Are there any bets on when Rory will file for divorce again?    What a weird life the guy has.  
    mine should be so weird.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    I saw a stat that said of the last three US Opens at Pinehurst, only 4 players have finished under par.