Post your stereo system!

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Someone sort of local is giving away a Dual 701 and a Pioneer QX-949A. 

Man, I don’t own four speakers nor do I possess a single quadraphonic record. I also have a superior Dual. But I’ll be damned if I’m not tempted to take these things. 
    I'll take the Pioneer!!! Is it free? I have four speakers to hook up!!!! I can pay for shipping.
    That thing has gotta weigh around 50 pounds, if not more. Sorry, man. I wouldn't even attempt to ship any kind of hi-fi equipment, especially one as complex as this particular piece of equipment.

I drafted an "I'll take it!" email, but I haven't hit send yet. It feels like this thing could wind up being a multiyear project if I were to take it. The guy is also giving away a reel-to-reel.
    Dan where are u at again?

I might make a road trip.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Man, I don’t own four speakers nor do I possess a single quadraphonic record. I also have a superior Dual. But I’ll be damned if I’m not tempted to take these things. 
    I'll take the Pioneer!!! Is it free? I have four speakers to hook up!!!! I can pay for shipping.
    That thing has gotta weigh around 50 pounds, if not more. Sorry, man. I wouldn't even attempt to ship any kind of hi-fi equipment, especially one as complex as this particular piece of equipment.

I drafted an "I'll take it!" email, but I haven't hit send yet. It feels like this thing could wind up being a multiyear project if I were to take it. The guy is also giving away a reel-to-reel.

Those shit’s are gone, man. I’m sure they’ll go straight to eBay. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

That receiver is already on Craigslist for $299. People suck.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

That receiver is already on Craigslist for $299. People suck.
    Sad. Not surprising though. The secret is out that there is a market for vintage gear.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Is there any type of comprehensive compendium to see model history of vintage hifi components online?  Something like these pages for Sony personal players:
    http://www.sonyvintage.com/?page_id=1253
    http://www.sonyvintage.com/?page_id=1422
    http://www.sonyvintage.com/?page_id=1955
    Is there any type of comprehensive compendium to see model history of vintage hifi components online?  Something like these pages for Sony personal players:
    http://www.sonyvintage.com/?page_id=1253
    http://www.sonyvintage.com/?page_id=1422
    http://www.sonyvintage.com/?page_id=1955
    https://www.hifiengine.com/ does pretty well with specs, etc.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Yep. The search function at Audiokarma.org is a really valuable resource too.
    Awesome, thanks guys!  I've been thinking of piecing together a halfway decent stereo component system as I currently have my turntable running through my AVR, and my current CD player is a Playstation 2, lol.  I cannot play music and have the TV on or play video games at the same time, since I can only select one source at a time.
    I've been looking at upgrading my AVR anyway to increase the # of HDMI inputs (I currently only have 2) so I was thinking if I do that, I may as well just build a dedicated system for music.  I've been looking at some compact components but they seem to be very limited on expansion options.  I'm not looking to break the bank but I also don't want to go cheap in quality & would prefer to keep future expansion in consideration.
    Question for those of you who use external phono amps vs a receiver's built-in phono stage: if I'm not looking to shake the house,but just want a decent sounding setup, am I really missing out on anything? Is it worth the extra money to invest in a phono amp?  I've always thought my turntable sounds good enough through my receiver's (Denon AVR-887) phono-in, but the only thing I've had to compare it to is my old table (Denon DP-26F) & amp (Technics SU-V40).  Speakers I've ran on both setups are EPI-M100's.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    There are so many variables in the system,  that it's hard to say if it will be better for you personally.  When I used my Yamaha AVR for TT, both of the externals I had improved sound pretty noticeably,  even at lower volumes.  By contrast,  when I moved to the Marantz vintage,  the sound was different but not better,  so I now use the internal. 

Unfortunately testing is the only way to know.  Do you have someone close to you that has one you could test?
    I only really know about 3 ppl who are into vinyl like I am.  One of them may have one, but I rarely run into him anymore.
    edited April 2019
    An integrated amp will give you a few more component options. It's similar to having a receiver minus the AM/FM band tuner. Folks with really good ears claim that integrated amps sound better due to the absence of any kind of interference from AM/FM band signals (or something like that). My ears have been destroyed from too many loud hardcore and metal concerts in warehouses and storage facilities back in the day. As a result, I can go with a nice old receiver and be fine with it. If your ears steer you more toward an integrated amp, you can always get a separate tuner down the line if you're a radio listener. If you're going vintage, don't discount the more discounted old brands. Some Fishers, Kenwoods, Sherwoods and Akais perform every bit as well as your Marantzes, Pioneers, Sansuis, etc.

Also, consider Audioengine powered speakers via a phono preamp. I can highly recommend Audioengines. They were built for analog enjoyment, whereas Sonos and other powered/active speaker brands convert your analog signal to a digital signal; Audioengines retain that analog warmth. Sonos is absolutely awesome for movies and digital content, but they defeat the whole purpose of listening to vinyl or cassettes.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I only really know about 3 ppl who are into vinyl like I am.  One of them may have one, but I rarely run into him anymore.
    I have a cambridge azur sitting on the sidelines I can send to you.  If you love it,  you can buy it.  If not,  send it back.  It's midrange in quality so it can give you a sense,  even if you don't like the actual cambridge.  If not,  no worries.  Just throwing it out there.  I have a closet full of crap sitting around 
    dankind said:
    An integrated amp will give you a few more component options. It's similar to having a receiver minus the AM/FM band tuner. Folks with really good ears claim that integrated amps sound better due to the absence of any kind of interference from AM/FM band signals (or something like that). My ears have been destroyed from too many loud hardcore and metal concerts in warehouses and storage facilities back in the day. As a result, I can go with a nice old receiver and be fine with it. If your ears steer you more toward an integrated amp, you can always get a separate tuner down the line if you're a radio listener. If you're going vintage, don't discount the more discounted old brands. Some Fishers, Kenwoods, Sherwoods and Akais perform every bit as well as your Marantzes, Pioneers, Sansuis, etc.

Also, consider Audioengine powered speakers via a phono preamp. I can highly recommend Audioengines. They were built for analog enjoyment, whereas Sonos and other powered/active speaker brands convert your analog signal to a digital signal; Audioengines retain that analog warmth. Sonos is absolutely awesome for movies and digital content, but they defeat the whole purpose of listening to vinyl or cassettes.
    That Technics amp I had was pretty decent (and it was an SU-V78, not V40).  It still worked great but the power button wouldn't stay in.  Took it to my local shop (which has since closed) and they weren't able to locate a new switch for it.  Sprayed some Deoxit on it & that helped but only lasted for so long until the switch wouldn't hold again. Apparently that was an issue with that model from what I read.  I never listen to radio so mosty likely will just go with another integrated amp.

mrussel1 said:
    I have a cambridge azur sitting on the sidelines I can send to you.  If you love it,  you can buy it.  If not,  send it back.  It's midrange in quality so it can give you a sense,  even if you don't like the actual cambridge.  If not,  no worries.  Just throwing it out there.  I have a closet full of crap sitting around 
    Awesome, thanks!  I'll def keep it in mind.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I did something REALLY crazy this week.  I bought one of these:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

Good grief! Nice!
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737

My daughter’s favorite song is Lightning Bolt. She’ll be 4 soon and his having a Lightning Bolt/concert (and Paw Patrol) party. We put up these lights. She quickly requested her favorite song before she and her sister ran around singing it.

Anyway, she loves the Let’s Play Two version because she knows mommy and daddy were there. She can even be trusted to find that record, remove and place carefully on the platter. 

Made me realize I had never shared my setup or posters. Polk speakers and 5.1 setup. Works for the turntable, tv, Bluetooth, etc. I’m most proud of the basement itself, which isn’t done yet, but is just recently toddler-worthy. 

Thanks for listening. 
    You got some smart kids.  My youngest had that same tube thingy when she was about 3 or so.  She's 10 now.  Loved it though, hours of entertainment.  
  • PearlybakerPearlybaker Posts: 207
    Took a year to piece together and restore but I’m pretty happy with the sound - it still makes me smile every time I throw an album on.

For those that are interested:

Pioneer SX-1010
    Dual 1229Q w/ Shure V15 III JICO 
    Pioneer HPM 100s (200 watt)

How do those HPM 100's sound?  I have HPM 60's and I love them!!!  Great set-up!!!
    Late reply but they sound incredible! A couple things you have to do:
    1. Get the 200W versions of these speakers
    2. Upgrade the caps on crossovers
    3. Get the speakers about 12" off ground
    4. Give them a lot of volume
    70's rock (Fleetwood Mac, James Gang, Allmans, etc) and surprisingly Jazz are incredible on this set-up.

"Hey, listen asshole, one more fucker throws a fuckin' quarter up here and we're outta here, I'm tellin' ya, FUCKER! What the fuck, you're blowin' it for fuckin' everybody. Hit me with a fuckin' quarter again and, fuck it, I'm outta here. We're all outta here. Fuck you, and if anyone sees someone throw fuckin' change right next to them, you have my permission to beat the fuckin' holy shit outta them."
    brianlux said:

Nice, Brian! How does it sound? Notice much improvement over the old one?
    Question because I’m not an electrician but maybe someone with experience in euro equipment would know. If I were to buy a euro manufactured component would I be able to run it here in the US? I know the voltage is different and I’ve searched google on how to set something like this up, but I feel like I’m getting answers that are just all over the place and it’s confusing the hell out of me. You’d think something as simple as “plugging in euro electronics in the US” would give a clear answer.
    I’d hate to spend the money then have it not work, or hook it up improperly and either blow the electronics or burn the house down.
    Should probably just stick to 110/120V powered components but I’m kind of hellbent on a compact system & the only ones I can find are all 230V. 
    I did find another one of the Technics SU-V78 amps like I used to have on eBay & the guy has the matching dual cassette deck with it. It’s in Latrobe PA too, so I could drive the 2 hrs & pick it up vs spend $80 on shipping. 
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,850
    Took a year to piece together and restore but I’m pretty happy with the sound - it still makes me smile every time I throw an album on.

For those that are interested:

Pioneer SX-1010
    Dual 1229Q w/ Shure V15 III JICO 
    Pioneer HPM 100s (200 watt)

How do those HPM 100's sound?  I have HPM 60's and I love them!!!  Great set-up!!!
    Late reply but they sound incredible! A couple things you have to do:
    1. Get the 200W versions of these speakers
    2. Upgrade the caps on crossovers
    3. Get the speakers about 12" off ground
    4. Give them a lot of volume
    70's rock (Fleetwood Mac, James Gang, Allmans, etc) and surprisingly Jazz are incredible on this set-up.

I agree w all of this.

I finally got speaker stands and noticed a huge sound improvement.
  • whoanelly15whoanelly15 Posts: 737
    mrussel1 said:
    You got some smart kids.  My youngest had that same tube thingy when she was about 3 or so.  She's 10 now.  Loved it though, hours of entertainment.  
    Yeah they love the tunnels. And I think it’s more her determination with stuff like the turntable. And the kid loves PJ. Today is her party day. She woke a little fussy and told us over breakfast, “I only like Lightning Bolt. I only wanna hear Lightning Bolt.” So, we might have to spin that on a 2-hour loop this afternoon. Some party. Although the VIP passes and her stage by the stereo are pretty cool. 

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:

It sounds... great?  But not so much for me.  This TT presents a very up-front sound, clean and bold.  I think a lot of listeners would love it.  I actually found it too up-front and side by side with my Pro-Ject Carbon Debut, I actually leaned a bit toward the Project.  And considering the large difference in price, I've decided to return the Concept work more with the Pro-Ject.  I bought a circular leveler to get a better, more true level on the Pro-Ject, am working on an improved foundation for the TT and am looking into a new cart (or, since it's an Ortofon, can probably go with just a new stylus) upgrade.  I lost several bucks on shipping and possibly on some re-stocking fee, but will still have money left over- probably for more records and some decent and much needed hiking shoes!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    dudeman said:
    brianlux said:

It sounds... great?  But not so much for me.  This TT presents a very up-front sound, clean and bold.  I think a lot of listeners would love it.  I actually found it too up-front and side by side with my Pro-Ject Carbon Debut, I actually leaned a bit toward the Project.  And considering the large difference in price, I've decided to return the Concept work more with the Pro-Ject.  I bought a circular leveler to get a better, more true level on the Pro-Ject, am working on an improved foundation for the TT and am looking into a new cart (or, since it's an Ortofon, can probably go with just a new stylus) upgrade.  I lost several bucks on shipping and possibly on some re-stocking fee, but will still have money left over- probably for more records and some decent and much needed hiking shoes!
    Does your Pro-Ject have the 2M Red cartridge?  If so, you can swap out a Blue stylus without changing the entire cart. You can also use a Silver, but it's the exact same as the Red just with silver plated coils.  If you want to jump up to Bronze or Black, you'll need to buy the whole cart.  Their styli are interchangeable with each other, but their cartridges are different than the Red & Blue.
    You can also try an acrylic platter for some sound improvement.  I definitely noticed better performance of the blue vs the red once it broke in. 
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    I finally have a record player!!

It is circa 1990 and in need of a new needle I'm sure (although it's never been used) and it comes with the whole tower of equipment and two big speakers. But it's mine. 

Not gonna throw any vinyl on it at the moment though. 

I should take a picture of my tower of power. :smiley:
    mrussel1 said:
    You can also try an acrylic platter for some sound improvement.  I definitely noticed better performance of the blue vs the red once it broke in. 
    That's an upgrade I need to do yet.  I get way too much static generated with the metal platter & mat.
    edited April 2019
    njnancy said:

It is circa 1990 and in need of a new needle I'm sure (although it's never been used) and it comes with the whole tower of equipment and two big speakers. But it's mine. 

Congrats!  I'm hoping to have completed myself a couple new-old components in the coming months.  If your turntable is belt driven, I'd definitely recommend getting a new belt. I'm not sure what the protocol is for a stylus that's never been used, but I'd probably replace it just to be safe.  Get yourself a couple cheap (but clean) used records to test things out, rather than using something from your collection.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    njnancy said:

Congrats!  I'm hoping to have completed myself a couple new-old components in the coming months.  If your turntable is belt driven, I'd definitely recommend getting a new belt. I'm not sure what the protocol is for a stylus that's never been used, but I'd probably replace it just to be safe.  Get yourself a couple cheap (but clean) used records to test things out, rather than using something from your collection.
    Thank you!  I don't know if it is belt driven but I can find out. It's an Aiwa - one of the great turntable makers of our time :lol: But it's got all the components I need for a low budget item that can actually play my albums. 

I will definitely get a new stylus and I have some albums that I can use to test it out. I come from a time when you put a coin on the stylus if it wasn't working properly so many of my albums from the 70's and 80's are in sub par condition (to be kind). I wish I took really good care of my albums like some of my friends (who I thought were completely anal) did back in the day. But you could always go buy another for under 10 bucks. Some of my albums break my heart when I see the condition they are in. I would like to go caution the teen and twenty year old me but I was probably drunk and not listening. 

Thanks for your advice Dyer.
    edited April 2019
    If the stylus you have is new, I wouldn't worry about replacing it right away. I have been using 30-40 year old, NOS styli for a couple of my cartridges and they are great.

Congrats on your new system! I'm very excited for you. 
    Post edited by dudeman on