Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Post your stereo system!

12930313234

Comments

  • ikiTikiT USAPosts: 9,878
    That speaker behind him is no joke.
    10 years in the 10club... 2010-2020 
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NYPosts: 3,517
    edited November 2020


    Finally!!!! After over 20 years of not having a turntable I finally got my speakers today and got to set this up. I know it’s nothing close to audiophile, but I am thrilled with it. I am listening to one of my albums now that hasn’t seen the light of day since the 90s. So excited to listen to all my vinyl. They have been ignored for too long

    Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 18,429
    edited November 2020
    :clap:

    And I loved that Met exhibit.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NYPosts: 3,517
    dankind said:
    :clap:

    And I loved that Met exhibit.
    That exhibit was amazing. I took so many photos, but still had to buy the book.

  • GlowGirl said:


    Finally!!!! After over 20 years of not having a turntable I finally got my speakers today and got to set this up. I know it’s nothing close to audiophile, but I am thrilled with it. I am listening to one of my albums now that hasn’t seen the light of day since the 90s. So excited to listen to all my vinyl. They have been ignored for too long

    Sperry fan!!!

    Congrats on coming back to analog.  What album did you bring out after all these years?  My album that I first spun after years of digital was a compilation called Give Me Back.  Man it was great hearing that album again.

    So please @GlowGirl do tell!
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NYPosts: 3,517
    GlowGirl said:


    Finally!!!! After over 20 years of not having a turntable I finally got my speakers today and got to set this up. I know it’s nothing close to audiophile, but I am thrilled with it. I am listening to one of my albums now that hasn’t seen the light of day since the 90s. So excited to listen to all my vinyl. They have been ignored for too long

    Sperry fan!!!

    Congrats on coming back to analog.  What album did you bring out after all these years?  My album that I first spun after years of digital was a compilation called Give Me Back.  Man it was great hearing that album again.

    So please @GlowGirl do tell!
    That Sperry book is gorgeous. The first album I listened to yesterday was the Beatles Red 1962-1966. My reason for that was somewhat sentimental. My parents bought me that album for my 8th birthday, and it was my first real record (outside of little kids records). So, I thought it should be first. After that, I spun Gigaton, Who's Next, and REM Document. Today, I think I might go for some Zeppelin, and maybe some Cure. Maybe some Pearl Jam Unplugged since I just got that one on vinyl. I don't know. My album collection is not super extensive (maybe 125 records). So lots of vinyl shopping to do.
  • GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:


    Finally!!!! After over 20 years of not having a turntable I finally got my speakers today and got to set this up. I know it’s nothing close to audiophile, but I am thrilled with it. I am listening to one of my albums now that hasn’t seen the light of day since the 90s. So excited to listen to all my vinyl. They have been ignored for too long

    Sperry fan!!!

    Congrats on coming back to analog.  What album did you bring out after all these years?  My album that I first spun after years of digital was a compilation called Give Me Back.  Man it was great hearing that album again.

    So please @GlowGirl do tell!
    That Sperry book is gorgeous. The first album I listened to yesterday was the Beatles Red 1962-1966. My reason for that was somewhat sentimental. My parents bought me that album for my 8th birthday, and it was my first real record (outside of little kids records). So, I thought it should be first. After that, I spun Gigaton, Who's Next, and REM Document. Today, I think I might go for some Zeppelin, and maybe some Cure. Maybe some Pearl Jam Unplugged since I just got that one on vinyl. I don't know. My album collection is not super extensive (maybe 125 records). So lots of vinyl shopping to do.
    Awesome!

    I have had to do some serious cleaning to my older records.  When you're younger you don't know much so a cleaning I did!


  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NYPosts: 3,517
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:


    Finally!!!! After over 20 years of not having a turntable I finally got my speakers today and got to set this up. I know it’s nothing close to audiophile, but I am thrilled with it. I am listening to one of my albums now that hasn’t seen the light of day since the 90s. So excited to listen to all my vinyl. They have been ignored for too long

    Sperry fan!!!

    Congrats on coming back to analog.  What album did you bring out after all these years?  My album that I first spun after years of digital was a compilation called Give Me Back.  Man it was great hearing that album again.

    So please @GlowGirl do tell!
    That Sperry book is gorgeous. The first album I listened to yesterday was the Beatles Red 1962-1966. My reason for that was somewhat sentimental. My parents bought me that album for my 8th birthday, and it was my first real record (outside of little kids records). So, I thought it should be first. After that, I spun Gigaton, Who's Next, and REM Document. Today, I think I might go for some Zeppelin, and maybe some Cure. Maybe some Pearl Jam Unplugged since I just got that one on vinyl. I don't know. My album collection is not super extensive (maybe 125 records). So lots of vinyl shopping to do.
    Awesome!

    I have had to do some serious cleaning to my older records.  When you're younger you don't know much so a cleaning I did!


    That Beatles album I played yesterday was not the same one my parents gave me. I still have that one (for sentimentality), but also had to get a new one. Not only did I not take care of my albums when I was 8, but thought the way to wash them was under the tap :o . However, the ones I got in high school and college I did take good care of. My record player was crappy, which isn't good, but I had my little disc washer set - where the bottle of liquid fit into the wooden handled cleaning thingy. I used that religiously. When I played Who's Next yesterday (which I probably bought in 1983) I was expecting all kinds of crackles and skips - but it played beautifully. I am hoping most of the others will be in that kind of shape.

  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 22,541
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:


    Finally!!!! After over 20 years of not having a turntable I finally got my speakers today and got to set this up. I know it’s nothing close to audiophile, but I am thrilled with it. I am listening to one of my albums now that hasn’t seen the light of day since the 90s. So excited to listen to all my vinyl. They have been ignored for too long

    Sperry fan!!!

    Congrats on coming back to analog.  What album did you bring out after all these years?  My album that I first spun after years of digital was a compilation called Give Me Back.  Man it was great hearing that album again.

    So please @GlowGirl do tell!
    That Sperry book is gorgeous. The first album I listened to yesterday was the Beatles Red 1962-1966. My reason for that was somewhat sentimental. My parents bought me that album for my 8th birthday, and it was my first real record (outside of little kids records). So, I thought it should be first. After that, I spun Gigaton, Who's Next, and REM Document. Today, I think I might go for some Zeppelin, and maybe some Cure. Maybe some Pearl Jam Unplugged since I just got that one on vinyl. I don't know. My album collection is not super extensive (maybe 125 records). So lots of vinyl shopping to do.
    Awesome!

    I have had to do some serious cleaning to my older records.  When you're younger you don't know much so a cleaning I did!


    That Beatles album I played yesterday was not the same one my parents gave me. I still have that one (for sentimentality), but also had to get a new one. Not only did I not take care of my albums when I was 8, but thought the way to wash them was under the tap :o . However, the ones I got in high school and college I did take good care of. My record player was crappy, which isn't good, but I had my little disc washer set - where the bottle of liquid fit into the wooden handled cleaning thingy. I used that religiously. When I played Who's Next yesterday (which I probably bought in 1983) I was expecting all kinds of crackles and skips - but it played beautifully. I am hoping most of the others will be in that kind of shape.

    The Beatles reissues,  including the red and blue,  are fantastic.  All analog and really well done. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 22,448
    linear tracking tt better than seivel tonearm tt?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

    Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • KswheelerKswheeler Philadelphia Posts: 56
    1970 marantz 2270 silver engraved 
    1960 pioneer TT with Pritchard audio dynamics wood tonearm and klipsch forte iii

  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,568
    Kswheeler said:
    1970 marantz 2270 silver engraved 
    1960 pioneer TT with Pritchard audio dynamics wood tonearm and klipsch forte iii

    Cool stereo. Love those old Marantz'. Your 2270 looks super clean. Do you know if it has been recapped/restored?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • KswheelerKswheeler Philadelphia Posts: 56
    Thanks! Yes it was gone over but all original mint
  • MedozKMedozK TennesseePosts: 8,556
    edited December 2020
    I will officially be updating my entire set up this Christmas. I currently have a Music Hall 2.2 with an AT440MLb and use the Phono input on my Marantz PM5005. I'm have ordered a VPI Prime Scout upgraded with the Prime Plater and 10.5" JMW tonearm with the Ortofon 2m Black. I will be pairing the new 2m Black with an Icon Audio PS2 MM Tube Phono Pre-Amp. I will be replacing the stock tubes with Gold Lion ECC83 / 12Ax7 Tubes. I will also be upgrading all my cables with higher-end brands. So I am hoping that all this will give me a nice upgrade in sound. 

    I am really excited to be making this upgrade. I hope this will get me much closer to my "END" system. Although I could see myself upgrading my Marantz amp and speakers at a later time. I currently am using ELAC F5 speakers.

    Now the waiting begins, I will be receiving everything next week, but have to wait to Christmas to begin the set-up. Again... can't wait.


  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 22,541
    MedozK said:
    I will officially be updating my entire set up this Christmas. I currently have a Music Hall 2.2 with an AT440MLb and use the Phono input on my Marantz PM5005. I'm have ordered a VPI Prime Scout upgraded with the Prime Plater and 10.5" JMW tonearm with the Ortofon 2m Black. I will be pairing the new 2m Black with an Icon Audio PS2 MM Tube Phono Pre-Amp. I will be replacing the stock tubes with Gold Lion ECC83 / 12Ax7 Tubes. I will also be upgrading all my cables with higher-end brands. So I am hoping that all this will give me a nice upgrade in sound. 

    I am really excited to be making this upgrade. I hope this will get me much closer to my "END" system. Although I could see myself upgrading my Marantz amp and speakers at a later time. I currently am using ELAC F5 speakers.

    Now the waiting begins, I will be receiving everything next week, but have to wait to Christmas to begin the set-up. Again... can't wait.


    Hey congrats.  You'll love that VPI for sure.  And the new phono preamp will definitely be an upgrade on the internal one you're using now.  Mine is a pretty simple Emotiva XPS-1, but it has impedence controls for moving coil, which makes a big difference.  Even though my Marantz 2245 has a pretty nice internal, I noticed a distinct difference when I added in the discrete pre-amp (even though I was using an Orto blue at the time).  
    I'm pretty close to my end game as well.  I will be replacing my vintage Marantz with a modern Mcintosh at some point in the next year.  
  • MedozKMedozK TennesseePosts: 8,556
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    I will officially be updating my entire set up this Christmas. I currently have a Music Hall 2.2 with an AT440MLb and use the Phono input on my Marantz PM5005. I'm have ordered a VPI Prime Scout upgraded with the Prime Plater and 10.5" JMW tonearm with the Ortofon 2m Black. I will be pairing the new 2m Black with an Icon Audio PS2 MM Tube Phono Pre-Amp. I will be replacing the stock tubes with Gold Lion ECC83 / 12Ax7 Tubes. I will also be upgrading all my cables with higher-end brands. So I am hoping that all this will give me a nice upgrade in sound. 

    I am really excited to be making this upgrade. I hope this will get me much closer to my "END" system. Although I could see myself upgrading my Marantz amp and speakers at a later time. I currently am using ELAC F5 speakers.

    Now the waiting begins, I will be receiving everything next week, but have to wait to Christmas to begin the set-up. Again... can't wait.


    Hey congrats.  You'll love that VPI for sure.  And the new phono preamp will definitely be an upgrade on the internal one you're using now.  Mine is a pretty simple Emotiva XPS-1, but it has impedence controls for moving coil, which makes a big difference.  Even though my Marantz 2245 has a pretty nice internal, I noticed a distinct difference when I added in the discrete pre-amp (even though I was using an Orto blue at the time).  
    I'm pretty close to my end game as well.  I will be replacing my vintage Marantz with a modern Mcintosh at some point in the next year.  
    Appreciate it, I really can't wait. I have always thought McIntosh stuff was very nice... but damn those prices.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 22,541
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    MedozK said:
    I will officially be updating my entire set up this Christmas. I currently have a Music Hall 2.2 with an AT440MLb and use the Phono input on my Marantz PM5005. I'm have ordered a VPI Prime Scout upgraded with the Prime Plater and 10.5" JMW tonearm with the Ortofon 2m Black. I will be pairing the new 2m Black with an Icon Audio PS2 MM Tube Phono Pre-Amp. I will be replacing the stock tubes with Gold Lion ECC83 / 12Ax7 Tubes. I will also be upgrading all my cables with higher-end brands. So I am hoping that all this will give me a nice upgrade in sound. 

    I am really excited to be making this upgrade. I hope this will get me much closer to my "END" system. Although I could see myself upgrading my Marantz amp and speakers at a later time. I currently am using ELAC F5 speakers.

    Now the waiting begins, I will be receiving everything next week, but have to wait to Christmas to begin the set-up. Again... can't wait.


    Hey congrats.  You'll love that VPI for sure.  And the new phono preamp will definitely be an upgrade on the internal one you're using now.  Mine is a pretty simple Emotiva XPS-1, but it has impedence controls for moving coil, which makes a big difference.  Even though my Marantz 2245 has a pretty nice internal, I noticed a distinct difference when I added in the discrete pre-amp (even though I was using an Orto blue at the time).  
    I'm pretty close to my end game as well.  I will be replacing my vintage Marantz with a modern Mcintosh at some point in the next year.  
    Appreciate it, I really can't wait. I have always thought McIntosh stuff was very nice... but damn those prices.
    It's the kind of thing that you keep in the family.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 22,541
    My local store asked me to demo this Luxman 507ux. It's all analog and 110 wpc. Supposedly a Mac killer,  but vintage fans will recognize the brand.  


  • dudemandudeman Posts: 2,568
    mrussel1 said:
    My local store asked me to demo this Luxman 507ux. It's all analog and 110 wpc. Supposedly a Mac killer,  but vintage fans will recognize the brand.  


    Nice! Luxman made some killer sounding gear. There's a piece of it right there on your counter. 

    It should sound a little cleaner and more neutral than your Marantz. True to source amplification with good power, solid build and effective tone shaping capabilities make it easy to get great results in lots of different listening spaces with a variety of speakers and other outboard gear. 

    I'm excited for you to try it out. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 22,541
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    My local store asked me to demo this Luxman 507ux. It's all analog and 110 wpc. Supposedly a Mac killer,  but vintage fans will recognize the brand.  


    Nice! Luxman made some killer sounding gear. There's a piece of it right there on your counter. 

    It should sound a little cleaner and more neutral than your Marantz. True to source amplification with good power, solid build and effective tone shaping capabilities make it easy to get great results in lots of different listening spaces with a variety of speakers and other outboard gear. 

    I'm excited for you to try it out. 
    It is so much better than the Marantz. I listened to a first press Aja, Kind of Blue (MOFI 45 rpmx2), and DMB Crash ( AAA analog).  The bass extension is worlds apart,  plus you can hear so many layers in the bass.  Warm,  mellow, delicate.  I really can't believe how much more liquid everything became.  Beautiful fit and finish.  


  • MedozKMedozK TennesseePosts: 8,556
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    My local store asked me to demo this Luxman 507ux. It's all analog and 110 wpc. Supposedly a Mac killer,  but vintage fans will recognize the brand.  


    Nice! Luxman made some killer sounding gear. There's a piece of it right there on your counter. 

    It should sound a little cleaner and more neutral than your Marantz. True to source amplification with good power, solid build and effective tone shaping capabilities make it easy to get great results in lots of different listening spaces with a variety of speakers and other outboard gear. 

    I'm excited for you to try it out. 
    It is so much better than the Marantz. I listened to a first press Aja, Kind of Blue (MOFI 45 rpmx2), and DMB Crash ( AAA analog).  The bass extension is worlds apart,  plus you can hear so many layers in the bass.  Warm,  mellow, delicate.  I really can't believe how much more liquid everything became.  Beautiful fit and finish.  


    Very nice, I have read many good things about Luxman. Are you using the built in Phono?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 22,541
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dudeman said:
    mrussel1 said:
    My local store asked me to demo this Luxman 507ux. It's all analog and 110 wpc. Supposedly a Mac killer,  but vintage fans will recognize the brand.  


    Nice! Luxman made some killer sounding gear. There's a piece of it right there on your counter. 

    It should sound a little cleaner and more neutral than your Marantz. True to source amplification with good power, solid build and effective tone shaping capabilities make it easy to get great results in lots of different listening spaces with a variety of speakers and other outboard gear. 

    I'm excited for you to try it out. 
    It is so much better than the Marantz. I listened to a first press Aja, Kind of Blue (MOFI 45 rpmx2), and DMB Crash ( AAA analog).  The bass extension is worlds apart,  plus you can hear so many layers in the bass.  Warm,  mellow, delicate.  I really can't believe how much more liquid everything became.  Beautiful fit and finish.  


    Very nice, I have read many good things about Luxman. Are you using the built in Phono?
    Yes, also very nice.  It does not have impedance control for the moving coil though, and my cart isn't high output, so you can see I'm at about 10 o'clock to get to a nice evening volume level.  That's a little more than I'm used to, but still not a problem.  Just different. 
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NYPosts: 456
    I'd like to know about Ed's new setup. 

    I know theres some McIntosh gear. Can't remember what table he had. There was a glimpse of one briefly on his wife's IG. But that McIntosh stuff stands out because of its light color. 

    Looked to me like it was a Linn LP12. The Macs looked like he had two MC601 mono blocks.  Not sure what Mac pre-amp he was running. 
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NYPosts: 456
    I recently upgraded from some vintage McIntosh solid state gear to this MA252 integrated hybrid amp. It really makes my Cornwalls sound fantastic. Next move to upgrade the TT. 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 22,541
    BB162610 said:
    I recently upgraded from some vintage McIntosh solid state gear to this MA252 integrated hybrid amp. It really makes my Cornwalls sound fantastic. Next move to upgrade the TT. 
    Very nice.  Did u get it new? The 252 and 352 are really hard to find right now. Mc is way behind 
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NYPosts: 456
    Yes, I bought it new.  Took about two months to get from the time I ordered it from the dealer, and I am only a couple of hours from Binghamton! 
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 22,541
    BB162610 said:
    Yes, I bought it new.  Took about two months to get from the time I ordered it from the dealer, and I am only a couple of hours from Binghamton! 
    Awesome.  I love the tube/ solid combo.  Definitely get the best of both worlds.  I debated that path but in the end did C49 with Mc 152 separates. 
  • BB162610BB162610 Upstate NYPosts: 456
    mrussel1 said:
    BB162610 said:
    Yes, I bought it new.  Took about two months to get from the time I ordered it from the dealer, and I am only a couple of hours from Binghamton! 
    Awesome.  I love the tube/ solid combo.  Definitely get the best of both worlds.  I debated that path but in the end did C49 with Mc 152 separates. 
    Very nice!  The tubes really make my Cornwall 3s sound fantastic.  I do miss my meters though, I am sure I will be upgrading down the road.  What speakers are you using in your system?  Is that a VPI TT?  How do you like it?
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 22,541
    BB162610 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    BB162610 said:
    Yes, I bought it new.  Took about two months to get from the time I ordered it from the dealer, and I am only a couple of hours from Binghamton! 
    Awesome.  I love the tube/ solid combo.  Definitely get the best of both worlds.  I debated that path but in the end did C49 with Mc 152 separates. 
    Very nice!  The tubes really make my Cornwall 3s sound fantastic.  I do miss my meters though, I am sure I will be upgrading down the road.  What speakers are you using in your system?  Is that a VPI TT?  How do you like it?
    I'm using Dynaudio Evoke 20 bookshelves. They're large monitors.  They're perfect for me.  Neutral,  articulate,  no fatigue.  I am about 6 feet from the setup,  so perfect for book speakers. TT is a VPI scout with 2" platter, JMW 10" tonearm and Hana SL MC cart.  It's from Upscale Audio.  The TT is great. I considered a clear concept as an alternative but it was very sensitive to the floor. Considering I have wood floors with a sub floor, that was no good.  The VPI never skips. 





  • Nothing crazy, but it sounds good to me! 
    www.cluthelee.com
Sign In or Register to comment.